Chapter two; Kai and Kyungsoo

Pitfall

 

[You've seen the poster right? :D I got it from my awesome supersweet friend Rendeboo~ (advertising haha ^-^ check out her stories because they're awesome <3)]
--
 
[Chanyeol’s POV]
I woke up from the sound of my phone ringing next to my ear. At first, it didn’t really register in my mind and it took me quite a while to wake up completely before I finally realized that someone was calling me. I picked up my phone, practically knowing it was Baekhyun who called because he was the only crazy person to call me at this absurd time – just like his calls at night, for which I always stayed awake since I knew they were coming.
“Hey, Baek.” I said, my voice still laced with sleepiness. For a change, it took him a while to respond while he was usually pretty much awake in the mornings. Not that he did this a lot, it was usually late night calls instead of early morning ones.
“Uh… Hi Yeollie.” Still a little bit shaken by his nickname for me that flowed so well with his voice, I was also surprised by the sound of him today. Almost… timid or shy. “I uh… I have this huge favor to ask you and I really hope you can help me out.” I raised my brows before finally taking up the hard task of sitting upright in my bed, the covers still over my bare upper body since it was rather cold in the room compared to the warmth of my bed.
“You know I always want to try for you, Baek.” I said, but only realizing that exact fact as I had said it to him. I had never once denied him and I knew exactly why that was. There was absolutely no doubt about the fact that I loved him, I loved his face, his voice, his bright and sweet personality, I loved his calls that made me stay up until sometimes three at night to get up the next at five thirty. He could do nothing to stop me from loving him, especially because he didn’t even know. Well, maybe he did know, but if that was the case, he was very good at hiding that from me. Yet again, he stayed silent for a little while longer than he needed to.
“Thank you so much, Yeol…” I smiled at his gratefulness, though something was really off with him today and I was wondering about that so hard that I almost missed the question, if I hadn’t been pulled out of my own world by his stunning voice. “We are uh…” Why is he hesitating so much… “Our company is in trouble, like, financially and now because I had said something about Jongin’s health… God I don’t know what to do anymore. I thought that the real problem was Jongin who was bothering me like that, but it’s not… If I don’t find a way soon, the company will be gone and everyone is going to be fired and then…” Throughout his narration, I had heard Baekhyun freak out more and more each second so the moment he stopped to catch his breath, I decided to stop him from talking any more.
“Baek. Stop that nonsense. Just… You’ve got financial problems? You need more income but you’re not willing to sacrifice Kai’s health, of course… Isn’t there a way you can work together with someone else? Split the costs so that the pressure will lessen? You can also cut Kai’s training hours if the other party is willing to train together, so that there’s more motivation and I believe that if you train together, things go faster as well…” While I was thinking it over, I didn’t really know if any of this could be of any help, but it was the best I could come up with so early in the morning.
“I knew you are a genius… Thanks Yeol, really. I don’t know how you always manage to come up with things when I’m stuck, really, you’re the only one that can lift my mood.” That was just a compliment towards a friend. Yet, I found myself blushing, because I hoped they were a little bit more than that.
“I’m not genius, baby.” I chuckled, but fell silent once I realized I had called him baby. Oh . Just act as if you didn’t say it, maybe he didn’t hear… “M-maybe I can ask if one of our idols is interested…” Why must I stutter… Why did I have to let such a word just slip! Not done, Chanyeol, not done…
“A-ah yeah. Yeah, please! Please, Chanyeol, if you would do that, my life would be saved… Always saving my life…” Another blush hit my cheeks as I heard him mutter something of which I was almost sure it was ‘and calling me baby’ and could only hope that he didn’t say that. “Well I uh… I’ve got to go now, I’m sorry for waking you up and I’m sorry for calling you at night.” Right after that, he hung up on me and I felt like the world had come crashing down. I had slipped the most obvious evidence that I liked – loved – him and I was almost certain he didn’t like me back, now he was probably awkward and we would stay awkward forever because he now knew I liked him…
 
When I was at work, though, the initial feeling of being a complete fool, had left me and I remembered he had begged me to help him, I would have saved his life if I could find him someone that was willing to collaborate with Kai. My first thoughts went out to Kyungsoo, since he was a friend of mine. Though we weren’t nearly as close as I was with Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and I got along really well. Also, he had built up this sort of respect for me because I had once helped him out even though he was the one to be admired for his hard work and great success as D.O.
“Kyungsoo-yah~” I called him when the both of us had a short break from work. Or rather, my break lasted an hour while his was approximately five minutes. His innocent face snapped my way immediately and that brought a smile on as well his face as my own. “What do you think of Kai?” I asked, getting straight to the point. Kyungsoo’s blush at that was hard to miss, but he remained surprisingly calm at the question to which his answer was probably more than he was going to tell me. Or maybe not, reading people and reading problems were two different things, the latter I was good at and the former, I wasn’t so much.
“Oh Kai. Right. Well, I think he’s handsome and all that, but I guess he’s a pain in the to work with if he’s like that off-stage too, I’ve seen a few interviews and he just doesn’t seem like a pleasant person to be around.” He flashed a smile right after, which made me believe that he didn’t seem to have thought too much about the other male, which wasn’t that unthinkable because this wasn’t a very much discussed topic between us. But like I had said, reading people wasn’t my specialty.
“Would you consider working together with him?” I asked, though I was afraid his answer wouldn’t be positive. Yet, I was shown another smile.
“I’ll think about it, but of course it’s not just about my opinion…” Right then his manager called him and his wide eyes appeared again. “Ah, I have to get back, break is even shorter today… I’ll see you later, work hard, Chanyeol-ah!”
“Yeah, you too, Kyungsoo. Thank you!” I said after him and waited until my own break was over.
 
[Kyungsoo’s POV]
Ever since Chanyeol had asked me about Kai, images of him in interviews kept flashing through my mind even though I had no time for that nonsense. “You’ve become pretty popular these days, right, Kai-ssi?” the host asked and Kai let out a chuckle. “Yeah, I know…” he trailed off before he added a bright, yet seemingly fake smile. I shook my head, that was one of his first interviews and he already acted like that… Of course I wondered if he was like that, or if it was all an act, but how could I know? I had never even met him. Working with him, I also wondered what that would be like.
“Kyungsoo-ssi…” the voice of my dance instructor interrupted my thoughts and I looked up at him, surprised he was even there, but remembering I had taken private dance classes and right now was the time I had that class, I smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry, but you really have to focus.” I nodded quickly, not willing to lose this instructor since he was teaching me well. I refocused and followed his movements with my best accuracy though it was clear to see that my moves weren’t nearly as sharp as his – not to cover for myself, but I had only started this two weeks ago, so maybe it wasn’t that unthinkable.
The day was lasting very long today, since I couldn’t focus on what I was doing completely. I was hungry faster than on other days and I felt my body wearing out sooner as well. But I didn’t want to complain, I had brought it on myself by trying to become an artist and how many people could actually say that they had made their dream into reality? Not many, indeed. So I had to be grateful for what I had – which I was – and I couldn’t mind the small things that bothered me because without those, I never would have gotten this far.
Which reminded me of Kai again. Was he the type of person to complain about their hardships? Did he take his idol-status for granted? I honestly didn’t know why I kept thinking about him today, sure, Chanyeol had mentioned him to me, but he mentioned other people before as well and never had I been this out of it. Maybe it was because I thought Kai was extremely attractive – to the point that I was one of the few fanboys at his concerts, whenever I dared to go and stand somewhere in the back where I wouldn’t be noticed. Not that I would be noticed by someone like him, he was way better than me.
I just couldn’t bring myself to like his personality, he seemed so stuck up with himself that it bothered me. How could you possibly brag about what you’re doing… it really is something that turns me off. God it was so frustrating that those two things collided so badly when it came to Kai. If he was just a little nicer, showed a little bit more modesty, then I could like him… but why would I even want to like him? Was I telling myself that I was willing to try? Because to be honest, this seemed like a challenge, the whole ‘working with Kai’ thing, and challenges were totally my thing.
After the very long day, I tried to find Chanyeol, to ask him what it was about in the first place and then tell him that I was interested and I hoped that my boss was going to tell me that it was a good idea, so that we could actually push this thing through. But thinking about it more, had Kai even agreed to this? Was he willing to work together with me? Well maybe because being next to me would make him look even more y because of my own lack of that.
“Ah, Chanyeol-ah!” I caught him on the way to the exit of the building. I ran up to him, adding another layer of sweat on the existing one since I hadn’t had the time to take a shower yet. I wondered what he was still doing here, since it was way past his own working hours. When I had called his name, he turned to me with his toothy smile that could make the gloomiest of men smile as well. “I have been thinking.”
“And? Made up your mind?”
“Yeah… If Kris agrees, I would like to try it out.” I said with a small smile, hoping Chanyeol wouldn’t – in any way – have thought of taking back the offer, even if it wasn’t completely his to make.
“Awesome, thanks! I will discuss it first thing tomorrow. And on a side-note, you look a little pale… have you even eaten today?” I wondered and could only remember to have eaten some small portions through the day and frowned, I didn’t actually feel the hunger anymore.
“Thank you, I think I have to find some place to eat something at… But really, how did you get the idea of working together with Kai’s company?” I asked, though I was sure he wanted to go home by now. He blushed a little, though decided to cover it up with a smile.
“My friend Baekhyun asked me.” he said and a smile found its way to my lips, his friend was definitely more than that to him, seeing him blush like that, but I wasn’t going to point it out, given that he didn’t tell me about it.
“Ah. Okay then, well anyways… I’ll see you tomorrow, you’ve been here for way too long already and well… I’m hungry.” We both said our goodbyes and I went off to one of those small, cozy places to eat which stayed open 24 hours a day.
Though today, it was nowhere near cozy, since it was packed with people. I didn’t like that, but it was the only place of which I knew, since I never went anywhere else when I needed food at night. I took place at one of the few tables that were not occupied and I noticed all the customers were girls. Girls swooning over one particular guy that sat at the back, casually sipping of a brownish liquid that was probably something with caramel in it – I liked caramel, but that would be off-topic to mention.
“Sir, what would your order be?” the waiter asked me before I got the chance to see the guy’s face and I quickly ordered kimchi fried rice so that I could look at that guy sooner. The waiter nodded and took my order before he walked off into the kitchen area and I let my gaze wander back to the guy at the back again, still sipping his caramel-something.
I thought I had discreetly moved my gaze upwards, to see who he was, but seeing him smirk right back at me, I knew I had been noticed right from the start. A deep blush crept up my cheeks as I thought of what was happening. I was looking at Kai, that extremely handsome dude that thought he owned the world and he smirked at me. 
 
--
Still a little bit of introduction, but their meeting will be soon ~ ^-^ I hope you enjoyed this chapter (:
Thank you so much for subscribing and commenting! <3 I hope you all still like it and are anticipating next chapters because I'm itching to write them already >< :))