Step Six

Just Have Faith

"How do you think you did on the quiz?" Gikwang casually asked Miteum. Their teacher had given them a quiz and was now grading at his desk; in the meantime, he allowed the students to talk amongst themselves. With her head on her desk, Miteum dejectedly replied,

"That was the hardest quiz I've ever taken in my life."

"Did you study?" Gikwang asked, and when Miteum nodded, he continued, "Then you have nothing to worry about!"

Still doubtful, Miteum just groaned and hit her head on the desk, which made Gikwang laugh a little. A few minutes later, the teacher had finished grading the quizzes and was now passing them back to the students. When Miteum received hers, she put it face down on the desk and shut her eyes in anticipation. Ever-so-slowly, she tentatively flipped the paper over and opened one eye.

"YES!" she exclaimed, holding the paper up for Gikwang to see. "Do you see that? That's a 93%!"

"Congratulations, Miteum," the other chuckled, giving her a high-five. Right then, the lunch bell rang, and Miteum got up, stretched her limbs, and exclaimed that she was in such a good mood that she didn't mind BEAST interrupting her lunch. Five minutes later, BEAST and Miteum were once again in a conglomerate of desks, each one of them engaged in conversation. Hyunseung and Miteum, in particular, were discussing techniques for pulling off a clean windmill, even going so far as to point out angles and directions of the hands, which seemed to have annoyed Junhyung because he suddenly snapped at them,

"Yah! Is dancing the only thing on your minds?!"

Miteum gave him a look as if he had just told a really bad joke and mumbled at the same time as Yoseob, "So cranky..."

When the two realized they had done that in unison, they laughed loudly and high-fived each other, causing Junhyung to roll his eyes. For the rest of the day, Miteum was feeling so upbeat that she didn't complain once about having to take extra notes per Gikwang's request. At the end of the day, Gikwang left with a "Study hard!" and a gentle pat on Miteum's head; Miteum just laughed as she packed her belongings, still ecstatic over her quiz grade. Dongwoon came to her classroom to go home with her, but the latter said she wanted to say after school and practice her windmills. Sighing, the older twin warned,

"Be careful, okay? At school and when you go home."

"I will!" Miteum promised, giving her brother a reassuring grin. Ten minutes later, Miteum had changed into gym shorts and a loose-fitting t-shirt and was now in the second dance room, since the first one across the hall was currently being used by Doojoon, Junhyung, and Hyunseung. Looking around, Miteum took note that this particular room was smaller than the other and that only two walls were lined with mirrors, but she didn't mind. It still felt comfortable for her. After peeking outside to make sure no one was around, Miteum closed the door and plugged her iPod into the stereo already in the room, selecting a random dubstep mix to practice her popping as a warm-up. Figuring she was going to work up a sweat, the younger Son twin pulled off her wig and placed it in her schoolbag. Finally at ease, Miteum faced one of the mirrored walls and began practicing.

In what seemed like no time at all, two hours had passed; Miteum had worked nonstop, but she still couldn't get her windmills perfect. As she was about to attempt another, the door suddenly opened.

"Hyunseung-sshi..!" Miteum gasped, her eyes widening at the sight of the said student. His face completely calm, Hyunseung entered, shut the door behind him, and casually strode up to Miteum, asking,

"Cheondung-sshi, what brings you here?"

Quickly, Miteum cleared and lowered her voice, replying, "Practicing, of course..."

 "Aren't there dance rooms at Seoul High?"

"There are," Miteum answered and paused for a moment before continuing, "But...they're not like the dance rooms here."

Hyunseung slightly tilted his head in curiosity and asked, "Why is that?"

Miteum glanced around the room before turning her gaze to the floor as she explained in a quiet voice, "The dance rooms at Seoul High feel...empty. Hardly anyone uses them, and if someone does, it's never anyone who loves dance enough. The rooms here, however, are better. The skid marks and scratches on the floor, the tiny holes and cracks in the walls... They're all like reminders of the people who have danced in this room. It's...much better here."

Nodding his head in understanding, Hyunseung murmured, "Well spoken...Son Miteum."

"Thank y--" Miteum quickly halted and turned to Hyunseung in shock, stuttering, "H-How..? Wha--? I'm not Miteum! I...I'm Cheondung!"

Upon seeing Hyunseung's tranquil smile, Miteum grimaced and hung her head in defeat, asking him how long he'd known.

"Since yesterday, when we ate lunch with you and Dongwoonie. Gikwang probably already knows, too, right?" Miteum dejectedly nodded, and the older went on, "Figures... He's more observant than people think."

"Hyunseung-sshi, please don't tell the others..." Miteum pleaded, but Hyunseung only gave her a sympathetic look as he replied,

"You know we can't have a girl on the team..."

Miteum felt like her heart had just dropped to the pit of her stomach--like she was about to vanish into an insignificant dot. That was it. It was over for her.

"But..." Hyunseung suddenly said, catching the girl's attention. "...As far as I know, Cheondung is a guy."

A wide grin spread on Miteum's face as she bowed low to Hyunseung and exclaimed, "Thank you! Thank you so much, Sunbae-nim!"

"Just 'Hyunseung-sshi' is fine," the older chuckled, a little embarrassed by the other's sudden polite speech. "So what are you working on?"

After about an hour of Hyunseung helping Miteum, the latter finally succeeded in perfecting her windmills. The two decided to call it a day and head home. Like a gentleman, Hyunseung waited for Miteum to change back into her school uniform; when he asked why she wasn't going to be wearing her wig, she told him that it was too hot outside and the chances of seeing anyone from their school at this time were highly unlikely. And despite Miteum's protests, Hyunseung walked her to the bus stop, and he even boarded the bus with her, insisting that he couldn't let a girl go alone. The trip to Seoul was spent in comfortable silence except for Hyunseung's few words when he said he would walk Miteum to her apartment. Only after walking up all the way to the third floor did Hyunseung say goodbye to Miteum, and he then headed back down the many flights of stairs.

"Dongwoon! Open the door!" Miteum yelled as she banged her fist on the door. A few moments later, the door opened, and Dongwoon appeared with a stern face as he asked,

"Why are you only coming home now? Do you know what time it is?"

Rolling her eyes, Miteum made her way inside and took her shoes of, mumbling, "Why are you so paranoid? I'm here in one piece, aren't I?"

Dongwoon just sighed and shut the door, shaking his head and wondering where in the world his twin got this laid-back attitude of hers.

 

 


I'm sorry for being absent for over a month! School has not been kind... But now I'm on summer break, so I will be able to update a lot more! I know this update was short, but I hope you still enjoyed it~

For those of you who don't know, "Sunbae-nim" is how you address and upperclassman or someone in a higher position than you (i.e. like at work). Dubstep is an interesting genre of music. I don't listen to it for fun, but I do use it to practice popping and tutting. It's hard to describe in words, so here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L3P0yYWClM  It's like taking club music and turning up the bass to its fullest extent. XD And windmills are just as hard to describe in words, but it's a breakdance move... So here's a link! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43sdml7TBAk&feature=related  This guy is actually doing a really advanced version of a windmill... Hahaha. I want to learn it one day!

I love Hyunseung so much.... XD He's not a love interest, though. Sorry... I just wanted to use this chapter to strengthen the friendship between these two characters~

Delicious thank you chocolate cookies to:

cOnFuXiA-NeTtEiX (Kyaaaah~ Salamat, Ate! ^^)
xJangie
taeminReplay
missmomentai
chibii_
anadd23

Wow! Thank you to all of you! I'm sad that I lost two subscribers (I know you are...), but I'm still very grateful for all fifteen of you who are still reading this story~ I look forward to replying to all of your comments. ^^

Please look forward to the next update~ ♪