Step Four

Just Have Faith

Sorry for being MIA for so long, you guys... I really appreciate those of you who are still reading this. :) As a gift, I present to you a very long chapter~

 


 

"Miteum, Hurry up! We're gonna be late!" Dongwoon yelled, banging on the bathroom door. His sister shouted in response,

"Just a minute!"

"We're gonna miss the bus!" Dongwoon exclaimed, and soon after, Miteum threw open the door and sped past him. In the kitchen, she grabbed her lunch (which was just a pastry bread from the local supermarket) and a piece of toast for breakfast. Dongwoon followed close behind, slipping on his shoes at the same time; strangely, he was having difficulty putting them on. Miteum approached him and stated flatly,

"Those are mine."

Looking down at his feet for the first time that morning, Dongwoon realized that they were his sister's shoes, and he laughed in embarrassment, passing them to their rightful owner. Once the twins had their own shoes on, they said goodbye to their mother and quickly left before they missed the bus to Anyang. Once again, Miteum had her headphones on, this time playing SE7EN's "Better Together" while she danced along with it. She attempted to get Dongwoon to join her, but he was busy making sure they would get off at the right stop and get to school on time.

After rushing to get past the closing gates, the Son twins swiftly changed to indoor shoes and sprinted to their respective classrooms. With a minute to spare, Miteum fell into her seat and laid her head on the desk, her headphones still on. Next to her, Gikwang softly chuckled and greeted his desk partner with a cheerful "Good morning!" Miteum mumbled a "Hi" in response as she turned her iPod off and put it away in her backpack. Gikwang's gaze softened as he said to her,

"I'm sorry you can't join BEAST... I'm sure you're a really good dancer."

"Thanks... If only those jerks would give me a chance," Miteum murmured, referring to Doojoon and Junhyung. Suddenly sitting up straight and looking at Gikwang, she skeptically asked, "Why didn't you tell me you were in BEAST?"

"Seeing you talk about me while not knowing it was cute," Gikwang answered, flashing a playful grin. Miteum rolled her eyes and gave her attention to Mr. Kim, who was now calling attendance.

At lunch, Dongwoon passed on eating with the rest of BEAST to eat instead with his sister, which actually bothered her--despite her dislike for two certain members. In Dongwoon's classroom, sitting at the desk he shared with Yoseob, the younger quietly whispered,

"You know, you can eat with BEAST if you want. I don't want to hold you back from making friends."

Dongwoon looked at his strangely solemn sister picking at her food before replying, "I wanted to eat with you. I'm not obligated to eat with them."

"You're not obligated to eat with me either..." Miteum lowly mumbled, slowly chewing her lunch. She wasn't mad at her brother--no, that wasn't the case. She just wanted him to be able to have other friends. Inside, she wanted Dongwoon to be able to hang out with other guys and not have to watch her all the time. She was completely dependent on him, and it was only recently that Miteum realized how much of a hindrance she was for her older twin. This would be for the best...right?

Dongwoon sighed silently, not wanting to argue with his twin sister, so he changed the subject by suggesting, "You can always fill out an application to make a girl dance group. You just have to get a minimum of five members. I'm sure there are a bunch of girls who would want to--"

"I'll be fine, Dongwoon," Miteum said sharply, clearly not wanting to continue on the topic, and the two remained silent for the rest of lunch. The remainder of the school day passed quickly with a pop quiz here and there, but for the most part, it was an uneventful day. Before leaving to the dance room, Gikwang gave Miteum a comforting pat on her shoulder, telling her she could always try to form a girl dance team, but she just nodded somberly. She was tired of hearing that same suggestion all day. She didn't want to form a girl dance team. She wanted to dance with her brother.

 

~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ ==== ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ ==== ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~ _ ~

 

"Dongwoon, you're taking the step a beat too early. If you keep doing that, you'll end up running into Hyunseung," Doojoon told the youngest member, watching his team perform a new routine they had been working on for the last twenty minutes. Since the addition of Dongwoon, BEAST had to adjust the formations so that their movements would appear more natural. Dongwoon--much to the others' surprise--was quick at learning new steps and techniques. Even though he would mess up now and then, the older members of BEAST couldn't help but forgive him kindly--the guy was just too nice.

"All right, let's take it from the top aga--"

Doojoon stopped mid-sentence when the door abruptly slid open, revealing a thin boy of average height, wearing an unfamiliar school uniform. He stood in the doorway with a slight slouch, his backpack hung over his right shoulder, and he swiftly flipped his chestnut brown hair out of his eyes. The members of BEAST were all staring at the unexpected visitor in confusion--all except for Dongwoon, who was in too much of a shock to even utter a word of gibberish.

It was his sister.

Just thinking about it made his head throb; he couldn't believe it--wouldn't believe it. Was he supposed to believe that this was Miteum's solution to her dilemma? To pretend to be a guy from a different school? This was her best? And even though Dongwoon knew that, yes, his twin sister would come up with an idea like this, he never imagined that she would actually go through with it. And so, in complete silence, everyone remained still.

After what felt like minutes (but was only about three seconds), Doojoon asked the "unknown boy,"

"Can I help you..?"

Miteum coughed and answered in a low voice, "I heard about your group. I wanna join."

Dongwoon had to keep his hands at his sides to refrain from slapping his own face in shame. His sister's "guy voice" was so transparent and embarrassing  that he was sure the other guys would recognize her.

But, amazingly, they didn't.

"We don't just accept anyone, you know," Doojoon said to the disguised Miteum, who replied quickly,

"I know."

The two stared at each other, neither wanting to be the first to look away. It was like an unspoken conversation between them that only they were a part of. Doojoon didn't quite like the cheeky attitude of "this guy," but he could see determination in his eyes--the eyes of someone who truly loved to dance. Making up his mind, the leader then said,

"Fine. You get one chance, got it?"

"Cool with me," Miteum replied nonchalanly, but inside, she was practically ready to jump and sing for joy. She strode to the iPod dock across the room, setting her backpack beside it, and pulled out her MP3 device from her pocket. Taking out the iPod that was already in the dock, she turned it over and saw duct tape on the back with "Yong Junhyung" messily scrawled across it. Restraining herself from chucking the device at the owner's face, Miteum plugged in her own iPod and played the song "Y" by MBLAQ, standing in front of the mirrored wall. Instantly recognizing the song, Yoseob and Junhyung exchanged looks of confusion, wondering why this overly-confident guy would audition with such a simple routine.

Miteum started the dance just as in the original, and she even did Lee Joon's famous "twitch dance" perfectly. Having seen it hundreds of times before, Doojoon was about to put an end to the audition but stopped when Miteum began performing a completely different routine--a series of pops and turns, precise tutting, and even a butterfly kick with which she landed on beat with the song. Somewhere in the chorus, Miteum pulled off a double back handspring, quickly showcasing more of her popping afterwards. During Mir's rap, she began b-girling (or "b-boying" in this case), performing speedy footwork that rivaled even Gikwang's, and she even did a 1260° handspin with all the weight of her body supported only by the back of her wrist. With one final handless backflip, Miteum ended the routine in the same pose as in the original dance.

Everyone stared at the disguised girl who was barely out of breath; even Dongwoon was amazed. No matter how many times he watched his sister dance, she never ceased to render him speechless. Turning to face BEAST's leader, Miteum asked,

"So am I in or what?"

Doojoon stared at the other for a long time, debating whether or not to accept him. His cockiness irked him just a little too much, but Doojon couldn't let such talent get away. If anyone else recruited this guy, they'd actually have a chance at beating the famous BEAST, and Doojoon couldn't let that happen. 

 

 

 

"Welcome to BEAST," Doojoon finally said, to which Miteum responded with a fist pump in the air. Cutting her celebration short, however, Doojoon asked,

"So what's your name?"

It was as if time had frozen as Miteum glanced at her older twin in a panic, and Dongwoon replied with a look that said, "Don't tell me you didn't think of one!" The younger cleared to disguise her voice and answered,

"C-Cheondung... Lee Cheondung."

The members of BEAST stared blankly at the new member; Dongwoon was in too much of a shock (again) to even facepalm. Yoseob tilted his head and asked curiously,

"Cheondung? Like the rapper from MBLAQ..?"

"Funny coincidence, huh?" Miteum joked, laughing nervously and rubbing the back of her neck.

"That's cool," Yoseob said, and the other members shrugged in agreement, making the Son twins sigh silently in relief. Hyunseung was the next one to ask a question.

"So, uh, what school do you go to? Your uniform doesn't look very familiar," Hyunseung commented, looking at the emblem on the left sleeve of the uniform Miteum was wearing. Seeing no problem with her answer to this, Miteum replied,

"Seoul Private High."

A snort of laughter reverberated throughout the large room, and everyone turned to face a smirking Junhyung. Miteum narrowed her eyes at the boy, coldly asking,

"Something funny?"

"Wonderful," Junhyung grinned sarcastically and threw his hands up in mock-joy, continuing, "The new member is a spoiled brat from the high class society."

"Who are you calling a spoiled brat, you annoying jerk?!" Miteum yelled as she made her way to Junhyung with clenched fists, but Dongwoon rushed to stop her, holding her back. Yoseob tilted his head again, squinting at the two, and stated,

"You two look a lot alike. Are you related?"

Once more, it felt as if time had paused and everything had gone silent. Frantically, Dongwoon and Miteum began to whisper to each other for an acceptable answer.

"What do I say?!"

"Something!"

"Like what?!"

"Anything..!"

Facing the rest of BEAST, Dongwoon quickly said,

"We're cousins."

When the others didn't look completely convinced, the younger twin spoke up, telling them, "Our dads are identical twins...and our moms also...look alike..."

Dongwoon's left eye twitched at the pathetic explanation, but the guys accepted it nonetheless. Taking his role as leader, Doojoon stepped forward and held his hand out to the newest member, introducing himself,

"I'm Yoon Doojoon, BEAST's leader."

"Uh, hey..." Miteum greeted back and shook Doojoon's hand but was surprised when the other pulled her forward, bumped shoulders, and clapped her back. Miteum winced slightly in pain--not because Doojoon had hit her back too hard, but because his elbow had bumped her...chest...a little too hard. Soon after, the rest of BEAST introduced themselves in a similar fashion, except for Gikwang, who--much to her relief--just shook her hand. As soon as their newest member was familiar with everyone, Doojoon called for their attention.

"Okay, since we have another addition to our team, it's gonna take a while to figure out formations. So...I guess you can go home early."

"Really?!" Yoseob squealed, bouncing up and down. "I can play MapleStory now and defeat the Snack Bar Boss!"

"Shouldn't you study for the English test we have tomorrow?" Dongwoon asked, knowing that his desk partner was not doing well in the subject. Yoseob waved it off and replied,

"I'll be fine. Bye, hyungs! Bye, Dongwoon! Bye, Cheondungie!"

"What did you just call me?" Miteum, or "Cheondung," asked, but the cheerful boy was already out the door. Miteum sighed and out of the corner of her eye, noticed that Gikwang was looking at her. Slighlty uncomfortable, she timidly asked him, "Do you need something..?"

Smiling, Gikwang answered, "Nope. See you tomorrow, Cheondung."

Something about his tone bothered Miteum, but she set the feeling aside and replied with a simple "See you." With one last grin and a wave, Gikwang walked out of the room backwards, which didn't help lessen the suspicion against him. Rolling her eyes, Miteum turned around, and a loud yelp escaped from when she found her face centimeters from Doojoon's. Catching her breath, she louldy exclaimed,

"W-What the heck?!"

The grinning leader stood up straight and said, "Hi."

"Hello..." Miteum reluctantly responded, and Doojoon asked, completely unaware of the effect his actions had on the other,

"You probably live far away, right?"

"Yes..." the wary girl replied. Doojoon continued,

"Well, I'm glad to have you on the team, but we want people who really care about this, so get here as early as you can."

"All right," Miteum said, which made the other smile.

"Okay. See you tomorrow, Cheondung," Doojoon finalized, patting "Cheondung" on the back as he left the room. Miteum remained silent, going over everything that had happened in the last five minutes. Yoseob had called her "Cheondungie" only moments after meeting her, Gikwang was acting oddly (more so than usual), Doojoon didn't use any honourifics to address her, and he was being unusually kind to her--a big contrast from the Doojoon she first encountered. When she was a girl, Doojoon was cold and indifferent, but when she was a boy, he was significantly friendlier. He was polite and cheerful with the rest of BEAST, too; so Miteum came to the conclusion that Doojoon was most likely gay. On the other hand, Junhyung hated her guts whether she was a girl or a boy, so Miteum figured the guy was aual. Speaking of which, the said boy was looking at her with an unreadable expression. Frowning, she asked him in an impatient tone,

"What do you want?"

Junhyung stared at her for a few more moments before rolling his eyes and leaving the room. Miteum glared at his retreating figure and muttered,

"Jerk..."

Dongwoon--she noticed--nodded his head towards the door, silently indicating that they should go home now. Complying, Miteum gathered her belongings and was about to leave when she saw Hyunseung tutting in front of a mirror. Curiously, she asked him,

"Aren't you going home, too?"

Pausing his movements, Hyunseung answered, "I'm going to practice a little longer."

"You must really love to dance, Hyunseung-ssi," Miteum commented, making the boy smile warmly and reply,

"I do. Dancing is everything to me."

"Yeah," Miteum agreed, smiling with the same emotion, whispering, "Me, too..."

Saying goodbye one last time, the Son twins departed and fifteen minutes later, they were at the bus stop. Suddenly, Dongwoon grabbed Miteum in a headlock and yelled angrily,

"What the heck were you thinking? How stupid can you get?! Of all the plans you've come up with, this is by far the stupidest! And you hair..! Please tell me this is a wig. It is, right?!"

The older twin yanked on his sister's now-short hair, who yelled back, "OW! Dongwoon, stop! That hurts..! It's now a wi--OW!"

"Wait," Dongwoon paused, tugging at Miteum's hair one more time, then exploded, "YOU ACTUALLY CUT YOUR HAIR?!"

"It was too long anyway," Miteum mumbled and winced when Dongwoon pulled her hair again. The latter sighed and released his younger twin, asking,

"Is that my old Seoul High uniform?"

"Yeah. Mom was hiding it in her closet. She refuses to throw it away," Miteum replied, and when Dongwoon asked why it fit her, she answered, "It was from before your freakish growth spurt in the second quarter-term."

"Oh, right. We were the same height back then," Dongwoon chuckled, looking up to the sky and rubbing an imaginary beard in reminenscence. The bus back to Seoul stopped before them, and they quickly boarded it, paying the fare and taking seats at the very back. About ten minutes of pure silence had passed when Dongwoon sighed heavily and asked his sister,

"So you were wearing a wig the whole day today?"

"Yup," Miteum replied simply. "I bought it yesterday when you were still with BEAST."

"So when you shut the door in my face when I came home..."

"I was putting it on," Miteum finished, to which Dongwoon sighed once more and mumbled,

"But you hair... It was so long and soft...and shiny...and beautiful..."

"That sounds really creepy."

"Sorry."

The two siblings fell into a comfortable silence, listening to the noisy creaking of the metal bus and the chatting of other passengers on their cell phones. Outside, the sun began to slowly set, painting the cloudy sky with pale hues of pink and orange. Street lamps flickered on, and bright neon signs lit up the outsides of restaurants, inviting hungry customers. The tall trees along the sidewalk swayed in the gentle breeze, and birds flitted by, carefully landing on the thin branches. Inside the bus, the younger twin drifted off to sleep, resting her head on the comfortable shoulder of her older brother.

 

 


YEAH. Did you like this chapter? :D I think this is the longest chapter I've ever written for a fanfic. XD I like the ending of this chapter. That's more like my writing style. It's hard to incorporate it into fanfiction. Not that I don't do it, but sometimes I have to think of when it's appropriate for the story. Haha.

I'm going to talk a lot... Sorry. >.<

SO YES. WE HAVE CROSSDRESSING AND A FAKE RAPPER FROM MBLAQ. lol Okay, not the second part so much as the first, but you get the idea. If you haven't seen MBLAQ's "Y," watch it now to see Lee Joon's famous twitch dance! Cheondung is the second rapper, and he's the one with pretty eyes and cute teeth in that MV. Yes, teeth can be cute. Hahaha.

I just want to get something across... I'm not following any plot stereotype, so don't think you've got the story all figured out~ You can probably get some pieces, but I'm going to make this original! Speaking of which, some writers here get plagiarized (some more than once), and I just have to say I am incredibly scared of that happening to me. I share these stories with everyone for their enjoyment, not so that they can take it and call it their own. Not that I'm accusing you guys of it; I'm just scared... 

I hope everyone understands that Miteum is a complicated person inside. She wants her brother to make other friends, but she's pretty selfish with him and practically cannot live without him.

OH. AND OMG. I'M SO SORRY, YOU GUYS. DOOJOON IS NOT GAY, NOR DO I THINK HE IS GAY. It killed me inside to write/type that... T.T I just wanted to show how quickly Miteum comes to conclusions. D: (Nor do I think Junhyung is aual. xD)

Here is a butterfly kick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v2quJBVA00 

I can't find that video I saw earlier with the handspin I described earlier, but you can imagine it, right..? D: Well, that's enough talking... If you guys find any mistakes, feel free to notify me in your comments~ I don't mind. In fact, it'll bother me when I re-read this and I find errors. T.T

Delicious chocolate chip cookies to:

dashLah
lilaznpnaii

Comments are much loved~ ^^ I look forward to replying to everyone's comments~

Until next time~ ♪