Secrets Within Secrets

Never Give Up

Junhong could hear Yun-Ki on the floor above him in the bathroom.  The moment she had discovered he was awake she had ordered him to disassemble the pod inside Minhyeon’s cupboard. It was all so that she could get Junhong out of there and have a new tenant to feed her income.

Junhong continued to pick at the pieces of metal that surrounded the charging plug. It was the only part that actually maintained his battery power but it was difficult to get to behind sheets of steel and other wires that he hadn’t yet found the ends to.

He knew exactly what each part was for and how it all worked together but his programmes told him that it was odd to have so many fundamentally useless parts like this machine did. Junhong himself had no unnecessary parts. Every single inch of him worked in some benefit for his operation and without even the smallest part he would be deficient and considered waste.

He was happy that he wasn’t waste; he even allowed a tiny smile to break on his rubber lips. After a long hour, Junhong finished fiddling with the wires and steel casings, releasing the cord that charged him from its confines. He sat still for a moment and sighed at the machine in front of him. He was disappointed that it would just be thrown away when it could easily be used for so many things. The endless possibilities flittered through his mind in a second and each one was recorded in case he had to defend them to his noona.

The phrase ‘speak of the devil’ presented itself to him when his noona’s footsteps followed the ring of the doorbell. She clunked down to the front door and Junhong picked up every sound even the almost silent moan of the door opening. “What the hell are you doing here?” Yun-Ki’s harsh voice filtered through the bedroom door but Junhong’s interest was low. She was never kind to anyone and for all he knew this could be some past love looking for her help. He was washed in movie plots and scenes of men and women fighting only to fall back in love and realise they were ‘meant to be’.

“Shouldn’t you invite me in first?” The second voice was most certainly not a lost love. It was familiar but not common to Junhong’s memory. It was Yongguk. The man he’d met just a while ago. The end of February was coming and Junhong had been considering ways he could possibly see this new man again. It had been almost two months since they saw each other that first time and the memory had been in the forefront of Junhong’s thoughts since. His mechanisms seemed to be in overdrive and his software said that it was akin to excitement.

Junhong stood quickly and crept to the door, edging it open until he could see down the stair case but he ensuring he was still hidden. Evidently Yun-Ki’s look was enough for Yongguk to realise his situation. He answered her demand fairly quickly. “I’m here for Minhyeon’s belongings.”

“You’re too late. Nothing’s left.” Yun-Ki stood with her hand clutching the door and her body blocking the entry. Junhong couldn’t see Yongguk from where he was but he knew the man was there, trying to buy his way in.

“What happened to it? I at least deserve that explanation.” His voice was almost mocking but Junhong’s software processed more sincerity than he would have expected. How did he find Junhong? How did he know Minhyeon had been here? Junhong was worried that he was not able to answer those questions. He could answer every question.

“Look, I don’t get what you’re trying to do, but it won’t work. Minhyeon was a lonely old er who never left the house enough.” Her voice was defiant, trying to put an end to the conversation but Junhong could see how Yongguk was intimidating her. She was slowly moving backwards, unnoticeable to anyone but Junhong who could now see the side of Yongguk’s body.

“I’m his cousin, and I would appreciate it if you could let me in. I’m sure you can tell how cold it is out here.” Junhong’s mind created a family tree in front of him. Small lines connected Yongguk to Minhyeon by way of faceless parents. That was why Yongguk and Minhyeon looked so much alike. It was why Junhong had thought they could be the same person. But Yongguk was a part of the same family that had abandoned Minhyeon, the family that out casted him.

Junhong wasn’t so relieved for Yongguk’s presence.

Two sets of footfalls echoed up the steps and Junhong could hear Yun-Ki half-heartedly trying to persuade Yongguk to leave, that there was nothing left of Minhyeon in the house. Junhong cringed at her obvious lie and he assumed Yongguk could hear it too. Junhong was still there, he had belonged to Minhyeon and he wanted to shout that to Yongguk and to remind Yun-Ki of how she had found her ‘help’.

“Junhong! I’m coming in!” Yun-Ki’s rough knock breached his ears and Junhong hurried to shove the sheets of metal underneath the bed and the cupboard in the half second before the pair entered the room. Thank goodness for his quickness, a human could never have hid like that. He perched himself on the edge of the bed when the door opened slowly. Yun-Ki glared at him but looked pleased that he had not left a mess for Yongguk to discover.

“This was Minhyeon’s room. It’s empty apart from the kid.” Yun-Ki was entirely apathetic as she threw with her hand in Junhong’s direction. Yongguk’s dark eyes lit up at the sight of him and they told Junhong that Yongguk remembered him, that he had been searching for him and he was relieved that they had met again.

“This is really it?” Yongguk sounded like he was genuinely disappointed but his eyes kept steady on the boy-bot.

“There are maybe one or two things in a box upstairs.” She spoke as if she was being forced to admit to murder. She sighed as if life hated her and abruptly left the room.

Yongguk held Junhong’s gaze and it made Junhong feel tight. He was frightened of what could happen in the moment. Yongguk stood at the doorway with an unreadable expression and his hand on the doorknob. He looked masculine and authoritative but Junhong’s software told him that Yongguk seemed gentler than he was letting on.

“Junhong!” His noona’s voice roared from the floor above and Junhong felt irritation flood through him, paralysing him in fright for a second before he broke away from Yongguk’s look and left the room quickly. His breath quickened when the back of his hand brushed Yongguk’s; except that he didn’t remember when he had started to breathe.

When he reached the top of the stairs, Junhong spotted Yun-Ki tapping her foot impatiently and staring at him incredulously as she pointed to the top shelf of the cupboard. He sighed but knew he had to get the box for her otherwise he would be scolded and forced to do more work. It didn’t take him long but Yongguk was waiting beside Yun-Ki with a happier look than the land-lady.

“Okay, this is all that’s left of his stuff.” Yun-Ki looked at the taped up box and then to Yongguk – impatience screaming from her eyes. Junhong remembered it as the box of things Yun-Ki was unable to sell that day they had first met Yongguk.

“What about the boy?” Yongguk clearly understood the situation Junhong was in from the way he looked at him but Junhong wasn’t sure how much he understood. He was desperate to know if Yongguk knew what he was, if Yongguk knew how much Junhong wanted to get away from Yun-Ki.

“He was just Minhyeon’s roommate and he works for me. He’s still staying here so you don’t have to worry.” Junhong was hurt but he couldn’t understand it. Yun-Ki wasn’t lying but it set his fate in concrete.

“I thought you said Minhyeon was a loner?”  Junhong wondered if Yongguk taunted everyone he met.

“I never said they were friends. Junhong-ah, help him take the box down to his car.” Yun-Ki was daring, challenging Yongguk with her voice as she nodded for Junhong to go down the stairs – which of course he began immediately.

“Actually, I caught the bus so I can take the box.” Junhong stopped to find Yongguk with arms outstretched towards the boy.

Yun-Ki put her hands on her hips and sighed. “Well, alright then; if you insist.” Yongguk smiled at Junhong and stepped forward to take the box. As he did so, he brushed Junhong’s fingers as the boy clumsily passed him the fairly light object. The touch sent an electric shock through the sensors on Junhong’s palm and it paralysed him for a single second. He was shocked but oddly thrilled at the sensation it left buzzing through him.

Yun-Ki decided then was the time to usher Yongguk downstairs and Junhong could see how desperate she was for him to go away. Her abhorrence for the man was beyond tolerable to her; it was not hard to see. She trailed behind while Junhong walked quickly with Yongguk beside him.

“I know what you are.” Yongguk whispered just quiet enough for Yun-Ki not to hear but he didn’t turn to the boy-bot. Junhong was only sure that the man had spoken because of the deep rustic voice that was recorded in his ears. Junhong looked at him, only a few centimetres shorter than Yongguk, with his mouth agape. Yongguk knew? How? Who told him? It certainly wasn’t Yun-Ki. Had Minhyeon said anything? But that would mean they had spoken to each other. It frightened, frustrated and disturbed Junhong that Yongguk knew what he was, but then again maybe he wasn’t talking about Junhong being a robot, maybe he really didn’t know and he was referring to something else. But what? Junhong was filled with too many questions and he knew that if he was human he might have cried from irritation

“Well, it was wonderful to meet you both again.” Sarcasm dripped from Yongguk’s tongue like melted chocolate but his smile for Junhong was beyond genuine. The man’s manners even stretched as far as to shake Yun-Ki’s hand – although a little unwillingly on both sides – as well Junhong’s, as if he had no recollection of his whispered words a moment before.

Junhong thanked modern technology that he was not human otherwise he would not have understood to keep the card that was suddenly in his hand a secret. It frightened him to think that Yun-Ki might have noticed it but he was relieved when she half slammed the door and began ordering him around like usual.

“Have you finished with that damn machine yet? It’s almost lunch time and I’m hungry!” She stalked away without an answer and Junhong hurried after her, ducking into the bedroom and shutting the door lightly. He allowed himself to grin brightly when he felt safely alone. He glanced at the card and could have sworn there was a fluttering sensation in his chest. How was that even possible?

The card had a large black, white and green symbol on it that formed the letters ‘T’ and ‘S’ with the word entertainment branching out to the right of it. Beneath that was the name of someone Junhong had not heard of before, nor were they programmed anywhere into his software. He did know however that TS Entertainment was a music company that took trainees and turned them into popular music idols. Secret was their only active group but it was well known that they had many trainees waiting their turn.

Junhong processed the information but didn’t quite understand it’s relevance to Yongguk and himself. He saw several images of secret notes and messages written on the back of things so he flipped over the card and in scratchy writing was ‘I’ll be back in 3 days. Wait outside the apartments at 11pm.’ Junhong was ready to cry out in joy but it also frightened him. He would be rid of his terrible owner who did not respect him, he knew she wouldn’t whether he was human or robot, but he would be with a man he knew less of than Yun-Ki. He had only seen Yongguk twice and spoken to him once. He knew nothing about him except that he was cousins with Minhyeon. He did feel assured that his software compared his expressions to that of other honest, kind people and he seemed to fit quite well.

Above all though, Junhong was afraid of himself. How was he able to feel so happy about his situation now? He was meant to be as emotionless as a desktop computer. He didn’t remember anything happening to affect his hardware and the thought nagged at him relentlessly; almost as much as the thought of Yongguk taking him away from Yun-Ki.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Yongguk placed the box on the ground to put his gloves back on, rubbing his hands together before picking it up again. When he breathed out it misted the air and warmed his lips against the cool breeze. It was getting a bit colder just before it was going to get warmer – spring was coming and the snow was gone. The days were just cold.

He chastised himself for catching the bus since he just wanted to be back at the dorm drinking hot coffee with his friends. Instead he walked along the street until he found the bus stop. The one he wanted wasn’t due for another 15 minutes so he felt it was a good opportunity to make some calls.

The first number was so familiar he could have dialled it with his eyes closed. When the sweet voice answered his smile was immediate and he didn’t mind being cold so much anymore. “Hey umma, how are you?” She sounded pleasantly surprised at his call but he guessed she might actually know the reason.

“Ah I’m a little cold,” he laughed, “but it’s okay.” His mother’s laugh was a nice thing to hear. They didn’t always agree with each other but Yongguk had to admit that the warmth of a mother’s love was a powerful thing. Despite that he had called for a reason. “Ah, umma, can I speak to Hyojin for a second?” His mother sighed heavily but he heard her call for his cousin. They shared a few muffled words, his name being one of them, before he received a second greeting.

“Oppa? What happened?” Yongguk his lips and thought for a second. Should he just say it? He had only just visited the house, he hadn’t quite processed the whole thing for himself.

“Well…I went to his apartment. Actually it’s just a share house but that doesn’t matter. I got a few things of his but I think the old land-lady sold the rest of it, she is a nasty piece of work.” Hyojin laughed but it was resigned and Yongguk knew he had to get to the point.

“Hyojin, I want to ask for your help. In a few days, I have something important to do but it’s on a personal level so I can’t ask anyone at work. I need to use your car.” When he felt she was going to protest he elaborated quickly. “I know you’re coming back to Seoul tomorrow plus you catch the train to work so you won’t need it.” Yongguk had spoken to his mother on the phone a few days ago and she had explained his cousin’s trip to him. She was his only hope to pull his plans off.

“But Yongguk-oppa you can’t drive.” Hyojin sounded aghast at the idea that Yongguk might drive at all, let alone in her car. Yongguk knew though that he wasn’t silly enough to try that again soon. He knew it was a skill he lacked.

“That’s why I need your help.” Hyojin sighed once more before she agreed and they said their goodbyes. He was glad that she wasn’t a curious person or gossiper like her sister. She didn’t ask him why he needed her help and he appreciated that – Yongguk didn’t want to explain just yet because he didn’t know how.

The next number he dialled was engraved in his mind almost as deep as the first. It rang for longer before a crackle signalled that Himchan had picked up.

“Hello?” Yongguk’s friend sounded bored and a little tired. He’d had an MC gig earlier so Yongguk guessed he was tired from standing under the hot studio lights for hours.

“Channie. I found him.” Yongguk hadn’t meant to come across so excited but to be truthful he was. He was elated to have found Junhong. Yongguk did not know why he felt that it was such a great thing; it was just a gut feeling that told him it was going to go well.

“Yongguk? Um…wait, who?”

“Junhong! I found him. That nasty woman I saw him with the first time is the land-lady from where Minhyeon used to live.” Yongguk could almost hear the cogs in Himchan’s brain starting to turn as he linked everything together the way the elder had.

“Oh! The kid!” Himchan continued to make noises of epiphany but he suddenly became quiet. “Wait…isn’t he a robot?”

Yongguk put his face in his free-hand. “Yes, he is. And I’m picking him up in a few days okay. Three to be exact.”

“What do you mean? You can’t bring him here. Manager-hyung would never let him stay here. I don’t know if I want him to!” Yongguk sighed but agreed and assured Himchan he would think of a better plan if he could before he hung up. He sighed heavily. He had felt frustrated more often recently and it was starting to wear him out. He decided he would just tell Himchan he’d considered other options. Yongguk didn’t want to lie but he didn’t want to do anything else. Taking Junhong back to the dorm just felt safer.

The bus came quickly and Yongguk hailed it, getting on with the return ticket he had purchased earlier. The bus passed the house as it left the street and Yongguk watched it disappear in his peripheral.  What had he gotten himself into? Where was this all heading? He had no clue but he felt strangely calm and, although exhausted too, there was no denying the intrigue that bubbled through him every second he thought about Junhong. The kid was a robot. He was Minhyeon’s. Maybe Junhong would be happy to be with Yongguk? He really hoped so because Yongguk wanted to get to know the boy-bot. Yongguk wanted to learn from him.

On his way home, Yongguk fantasised about different situations – that Junhong would be talented and that the manager would walk in on him dancing or singing and would sign him up to TS; or that Yongguk would find him and do the same; maybe Junhong would approach Yongguk first? The thoughts plagued him and he could only wish.

 

 


Don't forget to leave a comment so I can know what you think ^-^ and if you love it then vote it :)

Thank you lovely people for taking the time to look at my rarely updated fic :3