Private Performance

Never Give Up

Take how excited you are to see this update, add it to however much you've been waiting for and then times it by infinity and you'll have how sorry I am for taking so long to write it.


Yongguk sighed at his notebook. Writing had become difficult since the worry he felt for Junhong had settled into the front of his mind. He’d gotten only a few lines down before the phone rang from where it had been left of the kitchen bench. It’s bell resounded through the small apartment. Youngjae was sitting at the table, studying, when it went off and reached behind himself to snatch it from the counter-top. A sweet voice greeted him when he answered but when she told her name, Youngjae knew who the call was for.

“Yongguk-hyung! It’s for you!” Yongguk looked up and came to the door of the bedroom with slight surprise on his face. Youngjae simply reached out the phone and the elder took it.

“Hello?” He listened for a moment, a smile spreading onto his lips. He hung up.

“Who was that?” Himchan walked passed him and into the kitchen, looking through the fridge for the snacks he knew he couldn’t eat while on his diet.

“Hyojin.” The two of his friends in the room looked at him in mixed shock, excitement and anticipation. “It’s time to get Junhong.”

 

 

 

 

The boy sat quietly on the couch. He looked at them all with bright eyes and a sense of familiarity. They stared back, scrutinising Junhong to every inch of his metallic frame.

“Something’s...different.” Junhong sat quietly as they mused, flashing a small smile as Yongguk’s brow rose.

“Something wrong?” He looked the same. He sounded the same. But he didn’t act the same. Not quite.

“Do you…feel different?” Youngjae leant forward as he asked the question, as if he was trying to see passed the small lenses of Junhong’s glassy eyes. The boy seemed to think for a moment but shook his head.

Yongguk thought too but smiled after a while and stood amongst the boys. “Good.” His voice came out a little smoother with confidence as he stepped out from the small circle. “Junhong?” The robot stood as well, his shoulders straight and a bright smile on his lips as he was called by the eldest of them. “I think it’s time we introduce you to someone.” Himchan turned to give Yongguk a questioning look but the elder simply grinned, his gums flashing. “But first we need to make sure of something.” Yongguk grinned impossibly wider as he motioned the boy and Jongup over to the front door. He handed them each one Jongup’s coats and put on his own along with his shoes.

“Where are we going?” Jongup spoke for the first time since Junhong had arrived back at the dorm but his eyes were excited.

“We’re going to the company building.” Yongguk looked to Himchan who frowned. He knew he wasn’t able to go, their manager was coming for him soon to go to his mc job. He looked at Youngjae as well and the younger was contemplating. He had studying to do but so did Jongup. He huffed and walked over to get pull on his coat and sneakers as well.

They said their goodbyes and good lucks to Himchan before making the short, five minute walk. It was warm then. Spring well underway but the air had that edge to it, the remnants of a particularly cold winter. Yongguk took a deep breath.

His heart pounded with excitement as he glanced behind him at the three boys following. He noticed a thing then, the way Junhong walked. He’d seen the robot move and could finally tell. His joints seemed suppler so that he became more human in his movements, looking as real as Yongguk felt. Jongup and Junhong chatted and Youngjae listened, looking as if he wanted to join but didn’t know what to say. Instead he ended up scolding the others which made Yongguk laugh.

Yongguk was happy. When he’d first met Junhong he was intrigued. That feeling had grown until it had flourished into anticipation. With Junhong newly programmed, Yongguk felt that his anticipation would soon turn to wonder.

He turned back to the kids to check they were close behind just as he turned off the sidewalk and took the short flight of stairs two at a time to reach the front doors of the building. Before going inside though he faced those following him.

“Junhong-ah, this is the TS Entertainment company building. This is where Youngjae, Jongup, Himchan and I are all trainees.” He gestured to the sign on the side of the building as he spoke and Junhong’s eyes widened in curiosity. Yongguk then held open the door and allowed the younger ones to guide the robot.

They walked up another set of steps before coming into the modest lobby. He nodded to the administration assistant and she smiled back. Jongup looked back at Yongguk and nodded with a smile when the elder motioned for them to go to the practice rooms, specifically the largest one where the four boys would usually practice with their dance coach. When they were inside Yongguk locked the door, the sharp click bringing the alarmed attention of the three others to him.

Yongguk took off his jacket like the others had done and dumped it in the same corner. He moved into the centre of the room so that he was facing the wall of mirrors. He rubbed his hands together, an ecstatic grin playing on his lips. “Okay.”

 

 

Junhong looked up at Yongguk from where he sat on the floor. Jongup had sat and so he followed. He liked the slightly elder boy a lot and knew he’d probably do anything asked by him. Jongup was the one already claiming them as best friends though.

Yongguk cleared his throat and the boy took his cue to stand, Jongup doing the same while Youngjae stood off to the side, closer to Yongguk than the other two.

“Junhong-ah. I want you to show us how you dance.” He smiled gently at the robot who smiled back. Junhong liked the idea of that. He’d been dancing for a long time and to be able to show off like that was an opportunity he wouldn’t turn down. Jongup chuckled beside him when he nodded and stepped away, taking an iPod from Youngjae and flicking through to find a song. When the music flowed in the air, the sensors in Junhong’s ears adjusted. As his mind processed each note of the guitar and thump of the bass, his limbs felt like they were about to twitch. He took a deep breath then, feeling an electric wave through his body before it started to move. Impulses and information filled his circuits and he saw himself moving, popping and dancing to the beat of the song.

It was a simple, lyric less melody but it had strength and was heavy in Junhong’s mind. His body felt weightless nonetheless as he attempted a flip and stuck the landing. Jongup clapped in that moment and Junhong felt a blush creep up his cheeks and he faltered, putting an end to his little show. He glanced at Yongguk and felt a warmth spread from the admiring and fatherly smile sent his way.

Junhong knew this was what he wanted. Dancing was his passion, it had been for a long time and to see the expressions on his friends faces put a feeling inside him that told him he could be great. He was knocked sideways when Jongup jumped at him, taking hold of his shoulders and patting the one closest to him.

“Junhonggie that was great!” The two youngest beamed at each other but Jongup let go when Yongguk cleared his throat.

“Jongup, show him your stuff.” Yongguk’s eyes lit with that fatherly sense again and Junhong knew that was the look he wanted to see every time he danced. He knew that it was the look that would tell him he’d done well. Junhong moved away to stand in Jongup’s spot.

His new best friend started to move as soon as Youngjae played the song. It was obviously one he’d danced to before as his moves came out executed to almost perfection. Jongup did flips and spins and what Junhong recognised as ‘The Dougie’. The vibe of Jongup’s dance was and expert and Junhong knew he could only hope to be able to dance like that. When it was finished Yongguk clapped. Junhong’s heart sunk a little. Why didn’t Yongguk clap for him? Maybe he wasn’t good enough yet. He sighed but clapped as well with a bright smile on his face.

“Junhong-ah. Can you do yours again? I just want to be sure.” Junhong was a little surprised but he danced again, he did it a little differently, it would be boring if he didn’t but Yongguk was okay with that. While he was performing for them, Yongguk brought Jongup to his side, whispering to him and Jongup whispered back. They talked the whole time, even after he’d finished.

Junhong glanced at Youngjae but the younger wasn’t paying attention. He was studying the others and Junhong could tell that he knew what they were discussing. Yongguk’s eyes lit up again before he hurried wordlessly out of the room. They all watched him leave.

Youngjae shot Jongup a look but the latter just smiled at Junhong. It was almost twenty minutes before Yongguk came back, Jongup teaching Junhong a few b-boy moves in the meantime. When he came back into the room though, he wasn’t alone. A slightly shorter man who looked 20 years older followed behind him with a concerned look despite how excited Yongguk was.

“This is him?” The man gestured to Junhong and Yongguk nodded, stepping aside so the man could come forward and inspect the robot. Junhong suddenly felt unsure. Yongguk’s intention was obvious to him then; he wasn’t there just to dance. The man stared at him for a good long minute. When he spoke his eyes met Junhong’s but his question was for Yongguk. “He’s really a robot?” Junhong took in a small gasp. The man knew, because Yongguk had told him? He glanced at Yongguk and the elder’s brow creased, catching the fear in his glass eyes. “Junhong?” He looked back into the heavy eyes of the man. “Yongguk said you would show me something.” Junhong knew that meant his dancing.

“Who are you?” The man smiled gently.

“I’m the recruitment agent of this company. I work with the CEO to choose trainees. I was the one who chose these three here.” He gestured to Yongguk, Jongup and Youngjae in turn. “Well, Yongguk didn’t exactly audition, and he was really the one to choose us. But we’re thankful for that.” He took a step away from Junhong and motioned with his hand. “Would you show me how you dance?”

Junhong’s eyes widened a little. He was...auditioning? He wasn’t sure how he felt, being thrown into that situation by his friends but his heart beat quick with the thought of finally dancing professionally. He nodded shyly and looked at Jongup who nodded as well, turning on the track Junhong had just danced to. He moved the way he had before but rather than the electric current firing up his enthusiasm there was an edge to what he did, a feeling that told him he had only once chance.

The moves stopped and Junhong did a small pose. The sound of clapping filled his ears and when he glanced at Yongguk, he blushed. The clapping was for him and he felt proud. The man looked at Yongguk too and they shared a moment.

“Junhong, I think you’ve got one more person left to meet.” The agent grinned at him before leaving. When he was gone Yongguk walked over and clapped his shoulder.

“Good job Junhonggie.”