Surprises

Never Give Up

This chapter is deliberately short. Just so you know. I wanted to put this bit in with the next chapter but I couldn't work out a way for it to fit. :) Enjoy~!


Yongguk heeled off his shoes in the doorway of the dorm, pushing them with his toes to their spot against the wall. His jacket peeled away from his arms and the rush of warm air that greeted him was like heaven. He took a deep breath and placed the coat on one of the three unoccupied hooks, next to the grey one already hung up. Yongguk’s lids felt heavy over his chocolate eyes as he laboured through the short hall into the lounge room that shared its space with the kitchen, a dining table connecting the two.

"You look pleasantly surprised." Himchan, only a few months younger than Yongguk and one of his three roommates, peeked up from where he was snuggled into their second-hand couch. This was one of their rare free days as trainees in the music industry and Himchan had taken the chance to read a book, adamantly denying Yongguk's offer to go out. He dog-eared the page of his book and sat up to examine the newly entered man.

"I wouldn't say pleasantly...or surprised – more just annoyingly confused." Yongguk wrinkled his toes to heat them up inside his socks and made his way to the kitchen for a glass of milk. He poured the drink slowly, feeling the exhaustion of his day seeping into all his muscles. His legs ached especially.

"Haircut looks good." Himchan nodded to the top of Yongguk's head where the elder brushed his palm over the fresh buzz cut. He hummed a thanks. Himchan launched up from the couch and he made the few tentative steps to stand across the counter from Yongguk. His lips were in a tight line and his eyes read concern. "Why confused though?"

Yongguk groaned and rubbed his face, the red tint left behind was almost unnoticeable. He leaned on his palms against the bench where Himchan leant on his elbows. "When I left one of the stores today, this random kid was yelling and he ran in front of me." Yongguk paused, reliving the day and finding the right words to describe it. "Well, he stopped me and started calling me 'Minhyeon-hyung'."

Himchan had that 'get-to-the-point' look. "And that's significant how?"

"I told you about it two weeks ago, Himchan." His voice came out just above a growl with his lack of attempt to hide the frustration. A simple yet striking glare from Yongguk shook Himchan's memory to life.

"Oh! Ooooh!” Himchan’s irises glowed with recognition but it faltered into the same confusion that Yongguk felt. “Wait, just some random kid?" Yongguk nodded.

"I've never seen him before but he obviously knows Minhyeon." There was a long, tense pause as both men looked down at their fidgeting hands.

"Knew, Yongguk." Himchan corrected him quietly and a solemn atmosphere drew them to silence.

 It was a complete coincidence that Yongguk had met this kid and he had thought it over a thousand times on the way home; maybe he knew a different Minhyeon? Except that the boy, Junhong the woman had called him, recognised him by his looks. Yongguk felt a desperate desire to seek this boy out but he had no clue where to start. Would his family know? Probably not. Junhong? Could that even work as a clue? Yongguk shook his head to relieve himself of the worrisome thoughts, he could think them over the next day. He glanced up at Himchan whose brow was still tightly knitted together and Yongguk could tell he was thinking the same things.

Raucous laughter caught both their attention when it carried into the room with the fresh icy gust that entered from the front door. Two boys, much younger than Yongguk and Himchan walked in but halted at the sombre scene they interrupted. Their eyes were wide; as if they were worried they might be scolded for disturbing their hyungs.

"Ah hey." The greeting slipped out as a breathy laugh from the first boy – Youngjae. He was the elder of the two and naturally at the front. Behind him was Jongup, a year younger than Youngjae and five years younger than the others. It had surprised Yongguk, the first time he'd met Jongup, to find someone even quieter than himself. But the few moments that the youngest voiced himself were certainly worth the silence. "Is something wrong?" Youngjae still smiled but there was no humour in his voice. Yongguk lowered his head and shook it, looking up again with a softer expression.

"Alright then." Youngjae was just as aware of the lingering tension as the elder two were but he decided to move on. "Guess what manager hyung told us in our meeting today." The two youngest had been asked to the TS Entertainment building for a special meeting with their manager about how they were handling their studies at school in conjunction with the heavy practice. He and Jongup came further into the room, relaxing like usual beside Himchan. Yongguk mimicked Himchan's earlier look and prompted Youngjae to continue.

"We're going to Malaysia!" Youngjae’s hands flew out beside him in a ‘ta-dah’ motion, like a performer signalling the end of a show. The silence that followed was almost overwhelming and Himchan just stared at the two youngest who flashed their goofy grins. Jongup was still quiet but he looked ready to shout in glee at any moment.

“Why…why didn’t he tell us?” Himchan’s voice croaked with only the barest hint of betrayal, it was mostly smothered by the excitement and surprise that were harder to control.

“Oh…well, he wasn’t supposed to say anything…until the big meeting tomorrow. So you have to act surprised alright. Since we weren’t supposed to tell you either.” Youngjae’s lips locked and Jongup’s followed unconsciously. “But what do you think we’ll do there? Hyung didn’t mention anything since he said we would have to be punished if he said anything more.”

“I'm too tired to think about it.” His mind was already preoccupied. Yongguk was longing to discover more about this boy he'd met and the kid possibly recognised him. He sighed heavily and recieved a curious look from Himchan. Yongguk ignored it and stepped into the bedroom ready to crash on his bed as his body wasted into fatigue. Yongguk’s mind kept him from sleep though. It was filled with to the brim with questions and it was already overflowing but he really just had one question that had burned itself into his brain. He was not going to stop thinking about it until he learnt the answer: Who is Junhong?