Chapter 2: Hope for the Future

Perfect Nightmare (Walking on a Dream Sequel)

 

Kris.
 
All Chanyeol has been thinking about for the past three days is that name. 
 
That name and his love for him and the question that Chanyeol has been pondering.
 
How can he possibly join the army?
 
The army goes against everything that Chanyeol stands for.
 
The fighting. The killing. The training. The fact that he can't be with Kris.
 
The army isn't exactly a place where one can be themselves. Especially when it comes to homouality.
 
Chanyeol is completely, head over heels in love with Kris, but is it possible to go against who you are for the one you love?
-----
 
Kris asked the impossible.
 
He knows this. 
 
Kris lays at the end of his rock hard bunk, with his feet and legs hanging off the edge.
 
I shouldn't have asked him.
 
Kris has been fighting with himself since Tao died. He doesn't know what's right and what's wrong. If Tao were still with him, Kris would still be sane. He would know which way to turn. Tao always guided Kris. When Kris was falling in love with Chanyeol, Tao already knew before Kris told him. It was almost as if their minds were connected somehow, but it's all over. Tao's gone and Kris is drowning in the deep end.
 
Just as his thoughts are running wild, the intruder alarm sounds.
 
Kris jumps and grabs Yeollie, makes sure it's loaded, heads out the door to his spot in line and waits for instructions from his lieutenant. 
 
"This is not a drill," Lieutenant Xiumin calls. "Prepare for attack."
 
Footsteps.
 
The distant calls of the enemy sends a chill through the air.
 
Each private tries their best to keep a straight, brave face.
 
Kris is mentally preparing himself for the storm to come. He can hear the drum of the enemy, signaling their attack in ten seconds.
 
Each private prepares their gun.
 
Left click. Right click. Forward and aim.
 
Five seconds.
 
Kris takes a deep, shaky breath. The kind of breath you take when you're at the peak of a roller coaster. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.
 
The world around Kris is not one he recognizes. 
 
Smoke fills the air. Piercing sounds spread like wildfire. Privates slowly fade away.
 
Not again.
 
Kris will not be on the edge of life and death again.
 
He's up and running. Trying to find a place to hideout. 
 
Kris finds himself in Lieutenant Xiumin's cabin.
 
A small "wow" escapes his lips as he looks around at the luxurious room before him.
 
Cabin's are not supposed to be like this.
 
A king sized bed. A flat screen television. 
 
The door knob jiggles.
 
Kris is under the enormous bed within nano-seconds. His jaw drops, almost to the floor, when he realizes he actually fits under the bed. Kris quickly shuts his mouth and shallows his breathing when he sees two pairs of feet.
 
"I told you to have them attack at night when everybody is groggy from sleep!" The familiar voice shouts.
 
"Many Privates are dead," a different, unfamiliar voice replies.
 
"It doesn't matter! They all have to be dead!" Kris decides that the familiar voice belongs to Lieutenant Xiumin. "Does anybody suspect?"
 
"No, sir."
 
Kris knew. He knew something was wrong. Lieutenant Xiumin is up to something. Something horrible.
 
Kris makes a silent prayer, "God, please send Chanyeol. I need him."
------
 
 
Unit 25.
 
Chanyeol can't believe he's actually here. 
 
Something powerful drove him here.
 
Love.
 
Chanyeol wants to be with Kris more than anything.
 
02/08/13
 
Dear Kris,
 
I'm in Unit 25. It's different than I though it would be. I thought everyone who , but really, only my lieutenant .
 
Actually, nope. Everyone kind of . They all talk behind my back. I don't fit in here, but I'm willing to do this for you. I was told that if I train fast and hard enough I can get to Unit 26 within a couple months. So, I'm being an optimist.
 
Also, I met someone. A friend! His name is Do Kyungsoo. He's really weird, but he's the only person who doesn't stare at me. He's funny too! He has the cutest bulging eyes. His skin is gorgeous.
 
I have to go. My first training day starts tomorrow.
 
Love, 
Yeollie
 
P.S. Write back! Our letters will send a lot quicker now!
-----
 
02/10/13
 
Yeollie,
 
Stop talking about Do Kyungsoo like that! He's probably not that attractive. He has bulging eyes! Eyes like that are NOT adorable and I have gorgeous skin too!
 
Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I know joining the army goes against everything you believe in, but thank you.
 
I can't tell you how much I love and appreciate you. 
 
Love,
Kris
------
 
02/13/13
 
Kris,
 
ARE YOU JEALOUS?!?! Oh my god! You totally are! 
 
Don't worry! Kyungsoo is cool, but I love you! Plus, I'm not attracted to him like that. I don't think of the things I think about with you ;)
 
I have a surprise for you tomorrow!
 
Yeollie
-----
 
 
Kris stares blankly at the letter in his hand.
 
What could the surprise be? Hmm...what's so special about tomorrow? And what does Chanyeol think about?
----
 
"Kris! You have a phone call!"
 
Kris jumps out of bed and over to the cabin phone. 
 
It's probably Xiumin asking him to help with something.
 
"Hello?"
 
"Hi Kris."
 
Kris' heart drops. He has just heard the voice of an angel. "Yeollie?"
 
"I love your voice."
 
"Oh my god. Chanyeol, how...why?"
 
"It's Valentines Day."
 
"Oh, it is. That's right. So, uh...how was your first day of training?"
 
"Oh my gosh, Kris! It's so hard! I hate it! But I love you."
 
"I think I just fell even more in love with you."
 
"How?"
 
"I know what your voice sounds like. I love it."
 
"You might be surprised at what I look like then," Chanyeol giggles which makes Kris' heart race.
 
"Yeollie?"
 
"Yeah?"
 
"I can't wait to see you."
 
"Me neither. This army thing is weird. How many checks do I have to get until I move up?"
 
"5."
 
"How do I get them?"
 
"Each week, you will be observed. They count your progress and ability."
 
"Kris?"
 
"Yeah?"
 
"What's gonna happen?"
 
"What do you mean?"
 
"How are we going to be together? The army isn't exactly fond of homouals."
 
"Oh. I'm not sure. Let's think about that later. I don't want you to worry. We'll be okay. I promise.
 
"Pinky swear?"
 
"Pinky swear."
 
"I have to go. I love you."
 
"I love you too. Happy Valentines Day."
 
The line goes dead.
 
Kris has been laying on cold concrete since Tao died, but hearing Chanyeol's voice lifted him. Lifted him from the deepest, darkest hole. He heard for the first time in a long time, sincerity. 
 
The army is all lies. You can't trust people. But Chanyeol. Just his name makes Kris believe in better days.
 
Kris and Chanyeol. *KrisYeol*
 
Their names fit perfectly together. It rolls off Kris' tongue so easily.  
 
Kris knows what he's living for. He's living for Chanyeol. For hope. For a dream. For love.
-----
 
A/N: So I know the "check system" is not how the army works, but hey....this is a fictional story. Or is it??? Haha! Just kidding! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Keep commenting. Your comments lift my mood :)