Come With the Rain

Come With the Rain

 

“It’s raining…” Jessica muttered dejectedly as she stared out the large square windows of the café while waiting for the long hand of the clock to reach twelve.

 

“You forgot your umbrella again?” Sunny came up behind the girl, smoothing out her light brown hair comfortingly. “Why don’t you call Boss?”

 

“Appa said he has an important meeting today.” Jessica replied with a sigh.

 

“What about Mrs. Jung?” The shorter girl now stood in front of her, pouting slightly while helping her friend think of solutions.

 

“She caught a cold last night,” Jessica frowned to herself, “Just curse the damn rain.”

 

“You want to borrow my umbrella?”

 

“Nah, I’ll just wait a while for the rain to cease.” Jessica continued with a playful smirk. “And maybe Appa will pay me extra if his precious elder daughter works overtime.”

 

“Saving up to buy Girls’ Generation’s new album?”

 

“You betcha!~” Sunny laughed at the wink the fangirl shot her.

 

“Then let’s get back to work!” She picked up her notepad and bunny-eared pen while Jessica slumped even further into her seat. Sunny rolled her eyes and roughly grabbed her by her apron, trying to get the blonde pile of a body to sit up straight.

 

“I’m tired! Let me rest for a while…” Jessica’s whine was interrupted as the door chimed open and a young lady came running in.

 

She was breathing raggedly and was drenched from running in the heavy rain. Her red hair hung limply down her back and her baby pink dress clung to her thin frame, hugging her figure and accenting her curves. She was clearly out of breath but a smile still adorned her lusciously red lips.

 

“Hey Tiffany!” Sunny waved at the regular customer energetically with both hands. “Don’t tell me you forgot your umbrella too.”

 

“Yup! You know how I am.” Tiffany’s grin grew wider as she approached the counter.

 

“Hey Jessica-sshi! Please make me a hot cup of caramel coffee. I’m freezing.”

 

She flashed an eye-smile to the girl who stared blankly back at her and remained standing in front of the coffeemaker as the barista got up lazily but obediently. Jessica began to work her magic with a slight smile on her lips; no matter how tired she was, she will always have enough energy to serve Tiffany. The beautiful redhead was always able to make her smile with her loud and bubbly personality, bright beaming face, and childish little requests like the one she just made now asking for a butterfly design on her coffee.

 

Jessica steadied her hand as she drew the final of white on the surface of the brown liquid. Placing the completed cup on a tray, she added a small heart-shaped cookie and waited nervously for a reaction from the girl who was watching her every move.

 

“Wahhh, it’s so beautiful!”  Tiffany’s smile reached up to her eyes, curving them into little crescents. “You’re truly amazing!”

 

Jessica’s cheeks turned a shade of pink upon hearing the compliment she was waiting for and she replied, averting her eyes coyly. “You’ll get sick if you run in the rain.”

 

“Thanks for worrying about me, Jessica-sshi.” Tiffany chuckled in glee. “I’ll enjoy your coffee.”

 

Before she could turn around, Jessica rushed towards a cupboard and took out a yellow towel. Handing it to Tiffany, she motioned for her to dry her hair with it. Tiffany draped the towel over her shoulder with a grateful smile, took the warm cup and sat down at her usual seat. Jessica’s eyes lingered longingly on the lady as she shivered a little, took a sip of the coffee, and smiled contentedly with her eyes closed. The towel was used as instructed and it was now wrapped around Tiffany’s neck. Jessica noticed that Tiffany kept glancing at the door once in a while, probably waiting for someone.

 

Maybe her friends… or is it him?

 

As if in answer to Jessica’s question, the door of the café opened again and a man sauntered in, while the thunder rumbled in the sky.

 

“Oppa!” Tiffany waved happily at the sight of him, but he didn’t even smile back.

 

Jessica took a seat again on the stool behind her, her eyes never leaving the scene unfolding. Her frown deepened as minutes passed. The man was still talking to Tiffany, but the girl was no longer smiling. In fact, tears were glinting in her eyes. Jessica leaned forward slightly, trying to see her face better.

 

“You’re going to get discovered if you keep moving forward. Just get to work.” Sunny hissed into her ear and pulled her back.

 

“Shut up.” Jessica’s tone was cold with anger directed at the man. “What the hell is going on?”

 

“He’s breaking up with her.” Sunny took a step back when her friend glared at the culprit. “Anyways Sica-ah, Taetae’s here for me, and I’m leaving you my umbrella in case you’ll need it.”

 

Jessica nodded to show that she heard, but her attention was still focused on the couple.

 

“Good luck.”

 

Good luck for what, Sunny didn’t know. But she felt that she had to say it.

 

And Jessica needed it.

 

“Sir, Miss, please keep it down.” Jessica quickly approached the arguing couple and spoke through gritted teeth when she saw a tear slide down Tiffany’s cheek.

 

“I don’t need to keep anything down!” The man shouted in her face.

 

“Then off.” She replied composedly, her cold eyes steadily staring straight at him.

 

“B**ches.” Tiffany’s eyes slightly widened at the harsh word(s,) and another look of hurt crossed over her face.

 

The man stormed out of the café and the whole room silenced upon his departure. All eyes were on Tiffany, who hid within herself from the penetrating attention.

 

“Tiff?” Jessica called softly and took a step closer to the girl who was standing unsteadily.

 

Tiffany turned around at the call of her name. The conjured sad smile hung on her whitening lips as she fell unconscious into Jessica’s arms.

 

“Fany-ah!” Jessica hugged Tiffany in order to support her weight and tried to awaken the girl but to no avail.

 

“What’s going on?” A young girl rushed towards the two ladies and hurriedly helped the Jessica carry the unconscious girl. “Unnie?”

 

Jessica narrowed her eyes in concentration and motioned with her head towards the back of the café. “Krys.”

 

Krystal knew what to do without being given specific instructions. She glared at the nosy customers who ducked their heads and concentrated back on eating, and then followed her sister out into the office. They crossed the room and approached another door which was hidden behind a book shelf. The opening led them to Jessica’s secret hideout: a very small room with white walls, a small desk, an old couch, and a single bed. Jessica and Krystal gently laid Tiffany on the bed and stepped back tiredly.

 

“She’s burning with a fever.” Jessica mumbled, her eyebrows knitted and her palm pressed against the latter’s forehead.

 

“Who is she?” Krystal asked, watching her sister run her fingers through the red hair and voice out her thoughts.

 

“Someone I care about.” Jessica replied vaguely.

 

“So she’s the one…” Krystal smiled at the sight of her sister treat a stranger with such care and gentleness. “The one that caught your eyes.”

 

She took her sister’s silence as an affirmation, knowing that the older girl wasn’t going to give her more details any time soon.  Jessica silently stood up with a purpose, picked up a folded T-shirt and a pair of sweatpants that was lying on the couch and turned around to face her sister. “I’ll take care of her.”

 

“I’ll tell Appa and Umma.” Krystal backed away toward the door, knowing that her sister meant for her to go home. “You should call her parents too.”

 

“I will.” Jessica replied softly as the door closed and locked with a firm click.

 

She faced the lady on the bed and walked slowly towards her. Thoughts swarmed in her head and her heart thumped faster with every step she took.

 

“Now you… what am I supposed to do with you Tiffany?” She asked her as she gently the girl’s cheek. “You should change out of your wet clothes first.”

 

Jessica placed the clothes in her hand onto the bed before wrapping her arms around the girl and pulling her upright into a sitting position with her back leaning against the backboard. Tiffany slightly stirred at the sudden motion, but she was too lethargic to move. She opened her eyes a slit and found Jessica staring back at her worriedly.

 

“Tiffany, are you ok?”

 

Even shaking her head took a lot of effort, but she was able to do it.

 

“You need to change your clothes.” Jessica repeated, slightly shaking the girl whose eyes have closed shut again.

 

Tiffany used the last of her energy to lean forward, allowing her body to fall against the girl in front of her and giving her access to the zip at the back. Jessica turned her body so that Tiffany could rest comfortable against her while placing her fingers hesitantly on her back. She took a deep breath and pulled down the small metallic tab. Tiffany shivered when the cool air touched her and snuggled closer to Jessica. Each breath against her neck increased the tingles in Jessica’s stomach. She glided her hands over Tiffany’s shoulders and slipped the sleeves of the dress down to her waist. Her face burned and her body heated up as if the fever has been passed onto her. Grabbing the T-shirt from behind her, she fumbled to complete her job as quickly as possible while avoiding staring at the unclothed girl. Jessica laid Tiffany back down onto the bed and pulled up the blanket up to her chin. She stood up and let out the breath she didn’t know she was holding, her eyes never leaving the sleeping girl’s face.

 

“Now what?” Jessica let out a soft sigh and looked around the room, trying to find something to do for Tiffany. “Oh right! Call.”

 

She rummaged through the girl’s pink handbag and took out her phone. But the screen remained dark no matter how she tried to turn it on.

 

“No battery…” She put the bag back onto the table in defeat, and turned around to stare at Tiffany again. “I should call a doctor but I don’t have enough money, and it’s raining terribly… medicine will have to do for now.”

 

Jessica picked up her coat and her spare keys and rushed towards the door, but stopped right before exiting. Glancing back worriedly, she sent a rare prayer to God, asking him to look over Tiffany while she was gone. Then Jessica hurried back into the main room of the café, grabbed Sunny’s umbrella, and ran out into the heavy rain.

 

She tried to be as fast as she can as she didn’t want to leave the sick girl all alone unattended. Jessica ran all the way to the department store and back… yes, the Ice Princess ran. It took her only 10 minutes to return, but in her mind, it felt as if she has been gone for hours. As soon as she was under the shelter of the café’s roof, Jessica abandoned her dripping umbrella in a corner and ran straight to the kitchen to prepare some porridge for Tiffany, not paying any attention to the surprised cooks and astounded fellow staffs. While waiting for the porridge to bubble, Jessica grew impatient waiting and ended up glaring at the pot on the stove as if it would quicken the cooking.  After the small meal was finally ready, she took the pot to the back room and hastily unlocked the hidden door. Her eyes sought for the red haired girl and she was once again able to breathe only when she saw that Tiffany was still sleeping the way she left her. Placing the contents in her hands on the desk, Jessica slumped down onto the couch, catching her breath, with a relieved smile on her face.

 

After a minute of resting, Jessica got back up and approached the bedside, determined to fulfill her duty of taking care of Tiffany. But she didn’t have the heart to wake up Tiffany who was still sleeping deeply.

 

“Tiffany?” Jessica called softly to her and gently shook the said girl’s arm.

 

Tiffany stirred at the touch of Jessica’s cold fingers and turned towards her with a whine. “No…”

 

“Tiff, wake up?” Jessica jerked back in surprise when her hand was clutched strongly by the girl who was still fast asleep.

 

A tear slipped out of Tiffany’s closed eyes as her nightmare continued to torture her. “Mommy… don’t leave… me…”

 

Jessica’s eyes softened at the words and kneeling by the bed, she held Tiffany’s hand and soothingly patted her head. Tiffany’s frown smoothed out when she felt the latter’s protective presence and her sobs ceased.

 

“I’m never leaving you.” Jessica whispered to her.

 

Tiffany seemed to have heard her reassuring words as she began to sleep peacefully once again.

 

I’ll let her sleep for a while more. Jessica thought and leaned her back against the wall, resting her head on her drawn up knees and being lulled into a dreamless sleep by the drumming of the rain on the window. All the while she did not let go of Tiffany’s hand.

~~

 

Jessica woke up to the loud rumble of thunder and a blinding flash of lightning. Groggily, she pulled her stiff body up from the floor to stretch, but froze when the jacket placed on top of her fell to the ground with a soft thud. Unable to comprehend how it got there, she looked around the room and found the bowl of porridge and the glass of water on the desk empty, the bag of medicine open, and Tiffany still asleep, now in a different position.

 

“Tiffany?” Jessica wondered out loud as a grateful smile adorned her lips. Her heart warmed at the kind gesture and the care Tiffany had shown her. She tiptoed over to the bed to check on the sick girl and smiled wider upon discovering that Tiffany’s temperature has decreased. “You should be waking up soon.”

 

----

Jessica was looking out the window and listening to the pitter-patter of the rain while sipping her morning cup of caramel coffee when a hand took hold of the rim of her shirt. She put the cup down on the table beside her and turned around, paying full attention to the girl. Her heart ached at the sight of someone looking so fragile and broken.

 

“Tiffany? You’re awake.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Tiffany clutched the cloth tighter, tears threatening to fall again.

 

“No, don’t be.” Jessica took her hands in hers. “I’m glad your fever is gone.”

 

Tiffany only nodded, afraid that she will start crying again if she was to say anything.

 

“Are you ok?” Those three words triggered the tears which came falling down like the rain drops outside as sobs shook her.

 

“C-can I h-hug you?” Tiffany’s quiet whisper nearly escaped Jessica’s ears.

 

“Come here.”

 

The sobbing grew muffled as Jessica pulled her closer and wrapped her arms securely around the latter. She has always wished to become closer to the girl, but she didn’t know that her wish would be fulfilled so soon. Now Tiffany was in her arms, a little too close for what Jessica was prepared for. She patted her back and her head soothingly while Tiffany let out all her worries, pain, and anger through her tears. She listened to her curses and her story, and prayed to God to help them through this predicament. Tiffany cried until only tiredness and emptiness was left inside of her. As the sobs died down, the beat of Jessica’s thumping heart filled Tiffany’s ear that was pressed against her chest. She listened to the fast rhythm as it calmed her own racing heart and soothed out the confusing thoughts in her mind. Jessica pulled back slightly to wipe Tiffany tears away with her thumb when the girl remained limp in her arms.

 

“Listen to me.” She said and lifted a hand up to fix Tiffany’s messed up bangs. “Everything is going to be alright.”

 

Jessica leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on Tiffany’s forehead. Tiffany closed her eyes at the gentle touch. She felt something new inside of her bloom and grow, filling up the emptiness she was feeling a while ago.

 

“He was a b*****d anyways.” Tiffany’s voice dropped into a whisper. “I believe you because I can feel it already.”

 

She took Jessica’s hand and placed it over her racing heart. “In here.”

 

~~

 

“Jessi, I’m hungry.” Tiffany whined and faced Jessica with a pout and puppy eyes. Jessica glanced back at the girl who was seated at her usual table and immediately turned back with a blush on her cheeks when she saw the cute sight.

 

“I’m nearly done.” She spoke from the kitchen while turning the stove off.

 

Tiffany’s pout turned into a grin when Jessica approached her with a steaming bowl and a glass of milk. She cheered like a child and hungrily tucked into her meal of strawberry flavored oatmeal.

 

“No coffee?” She asked, eyeing her glass.

 

“Milk is better for you right now.” Jessica replied and sipped her own cup of caramel coffee.

 

Tiffany’s smile reached her eyes. “You know, people say you are cold and scary. But I think you’re just shy and I know that you are really nice inside.”

 

“I-I’m not n-nice.” The word felt new and… well, nice on Jessica’s tongue.

 

“You are pretty.” Tiffany said honestly. The randomness of the statement caused Jessica to raise her eyebrows, but nevertheless the ends of began to curve up.

 

“And?” She tried to sound as apathetic as possible.

 

“And pretty girls are nice.” Tiffany exclaimed with her usual bright grin. “You’re nice to me. And I like it.”

 

“Then I’ll continue being nice…” Jessica’s happy smile warmed as she looked at the girl in front of her. “Only to you.”

 

They stared at each other, trying to find out their genuine feelings, and then elapsed into a comfortable silence when the searched was found. No words were necessary to confirm what they now knew. The rhythmic drumming of the rain on the roof filled the silence.

 

“You’re a great cook.” Tiffany praised, putting down her spoon after finishing every bite of the breakfast.

 

“You’re the first person I’ve cooked for.” Jessica admitted joyously. “I’m glad you like it.”

 

The conversation slowly died down again, but this time, the silence remained loud. The girl looked out the window to find that the rain has stopped, the sun was shining in the cloudless sky, and a rainbow was a spectrum of colors against the solid blue.

 

“I should go now.” Tiffany stood up, hesitancy almost evident in her voice.

 

Jessica nodded and trailed after the girl to the door, her smile fading away while staring at her back. She bit her bottom lip nervously, biting back the words at the tip of her tongue. She was a breath away from holding the girl back and pleading her not to leave. The hanging chimes jingled again as the door was held open. Jessica closed her eyes and succumbed into her mental conflict. Her long nails bit into her palm as she squeezed her hands into fists in order to stop herself from reaching out to the departing girl. She heard a short scuffle and something soft and warm landed on her cheek. Her eyes flew open and her hands were immediately on her bright red cheeks, trying to cover them up.

 

“Hey! What’s that for?!” Jessica exclaimed, pleasantly surprised. Her heart leaped up into .

 

“A thank you.” Tiffany answered coyly, also blushing fiercely. “I thought words aren’t enough.”

 

They looked at each other and grinned at the unspoken conversation between the two. Their hands reached for each other’s and held on tightly, as if all will disappear if they let go.

 

“Will I see you again?” Jessica’s voice was soft as she asked the question she always wonders whenever Tiffany bids her goodbye.

 

“I hope that we will.” Tiffany looked into her eyes as she replied sincerely. “But for now, goodbye Jessi.”

 

~~

 

 

“It’s raining again…” Jessica murmured to herself while looking at the rain drops splattering against the big glass windows. I wonder if she’s going to come today.

 

She glanced at the clock with a soft sigh and stood up, untying the apron around her waist as her shift was almost over.

 

“Why does it always have to rain when I’m about to go home?” She mumbled in annoyance and picked up her bag. I don’t think she’s coming.

 

“Did you bring an umbrella?” Sunny called from the kitchen, poking her head out to wave her goodbye.

 

She stopped to check inside my bag and pulled out my yellow umbrella. “Yup, I have it—”

 

“I don’t think you’ll need it.” Sunny interrupted her with a playful smirk. She gave her a wink and disappeared like a rabbit into a hole.

 

“Wha—?”

 

The jingle of the chimes on the door stopped Jessica in the middle of the word again. Five slender fingers wrapped themselves around her arm and a blast of cold moist air came in along with the person.

 

“Jessi…” Tiffany’s face lit up with a smile when the said lady turned to face her.

 

“Tiffany?” Her warmth from her hand spread throughout Jessica’s body from her arm, replacing the cold touch of the wind. Their eyes met for a brief second, both looking nervous yet hopeful. Tiffany’s grin transformed into a shy smile as her grip on Jessica’s arm tightened.

 

“Would you like to grab a coffee with me?”

 

Jessica felt the corners of itching to lift upwards and her heart calming and racing at the same time. Wide smiles slowly broke out on their faces when she took Tiffany’s hand off her arm and held it in hers instead. Jessica entwined their fingers together and pulled Tiffany a step closer to her.

 

“I’d love to.”