THE RAIN

IN THE NAME OF LOVE

 

 

 

       It was a hard raining. From the class window, Yuri could see the pouring rain outside, accompanied with rumble of thunders. She was leaning her head on the edge of window indolently since she really didn’t fond with the last subject – English Languange – and was counting down, hoping the time would running fast before the boredom killed her softly. Not long after that, the bell was ringing, indicating that the class was over. Yuri immediately put her books into her bag, tidied up her desk, and took her raincoat and her umbrella, that she had already prepared before. She used to go to school by foot since her parents weren’t able to afford chauffeur since actually, was not like most of her classmates -who came from rich family-, Yuri and her family just lived modestly.

       The pouring rain indeed was limiting her vision; however she was pretty sure about what she was witnessing that time. The girl. The blonde girl. The beautiful girl that she adored secretly since the first year of high-school. Now was standing near the school gate, under the old roof. Ugh, what was she doing? Yuri was founding it was a little bit strange since she really knew that the girl used to go and back with her chauffeur.

        Yuri officially didn’t know the girl and vice versa. But her huge curiosity was urging her to encourage herself to get approach to the girl.

       “Anyeonghaseyo..,” she was greeting. “Ummm.. Wanna share umbrella?” Yuri suddenly asked, hence yanked the girl from the reverie. The girl seemed getting surprise and looking at Yuri with a shock gaze.

       Yuri was gulping when she found herself was weird. She was imagining and putting her own self in a kind of that situation. She was standing alone, in the middle of pouring rain, and then someone she didn’t even know before greeting her as if she knew each other and offered some umbrella... It was really weird and awkward situation; however Yuri knew she wasn’t able to turn back the time, so she just continued her talk naturally and acted nonchalantly.

       “Uhm, I’m Yuri, anyway,” she was introducing herself, as she still didn’t get any response yet from the girl. Finally, the blonde one seemed had already recovered and could open .

       “Do I know you?” It was a question that was released from the girl.

       Suddenly, Yuri’s face was scarlet with abashment, as she was feeling dreadfully shame at Jessica’s response. She was really hoping there was a black hole in front of her, so she could jump in and disappeared for a moment since she found herself had acted like a complete nincompoop.

       “Ummm... No... We didn’t know each other. But my name is Yuri, and you’re Jessica, right? So, with that, I consider now we know each other!” Yuri quickly said.

        Jessica was popping out her eyes, listening to Yuri’s answer, because she didn’t expect would received a kind of answer like that. She thought, will only receive “yes or no” answer. But she also couldn’t hold her giggling at Yuri’s silliness.

       “You’re funny!” she said.

       “Hah??” Yuri didn’t get it, as she really didn’t have any attention to be funny.

       “Nothing, never mind,” Jessica answer, with her bright eyes.

       Ah.... I thought people was overjudgment, she didn’t look like a ice princess. Look at her eyes. It’s so bright. And friendly. Even toward a stranger like me. – Yuri POV.

       “So, may I?” Jessica asked, handed her hand to Yuri.

       “What?” Yuri asked in her surprise tone, again, acted like a fool.

       Jessica was frowning. “Did you offer your umbrella?”

       Yuri was smacking her forehead. “Ne, ne, actually, I don’t think we will share...”

       “Hah??”

       “I wore my raincoat already. So...so... you just take this umbrella with you,” Yuri said.

       “Are you sure?” Jessica was asking, doubtfully.

       “Yes, yes, I’m sure. I will be ok. Moreover, my house is near here,” Yuri was assuring.

       “But anyway, where’s your chauffeur??”

       “Stuck in the middle of jam due to this heavy rain. But it doesn’t matter. I can wait here, until, at least the rain gets lessen, then walk to my house; anyway, my house just few blocks from here. I don’t really need some ride actually... I prefer walking, but my dad insisted me to...”

       Yuri was listening thoroughly and abruptly Jessica just hushed.

      “Ups, sorry, I was mumbling too much, huh?”

       “No. It’s ok. I love to listen,” Yuri replied. Her face brightened and she lost her hangdog expression.

       Jessica was turning her head, facing Yuri. “Anyway, it’s nice to meet you. Seem you can be a good friend,” she smiled.

       Then she was gazing at the sky, as she realized the rain wasn’t as hard as before. It was turning to be drizzle now.

       “I think I should back home now. See you again, Yuri ssi.”

       “Uh, just Yuri, please?”

        Jessica didn’t answer, but she was throwing a smile, then bowing a little and leaving. With Yuri’s umbrella in her hand.

 

 

***

 

 

      It’s just another day, when the sky was becoming gloomy again, and the drizzle was beginning to pour from the sky. Jessica was leaning her hand lazily on the edge of window class, and suddenly smiled when she were observing the weather. Tiffany, who was sitting beside her, caught the scene and just puckering her face as she couldn’t found any reason behind Jessica’s sudden smile. She was elbowing Jessica, to scatter her day-dreaming and back to reality. Jessica was glaring at her with her query eyes and just finding Tiffany smiled innocently. Tiffany’s eyesmiles worked well as usual; it always be the most reliable one to disappear anyone’s anger, including Jessica.

     “What is it?” Tiffany was asking. Jessica seemed didn’t get her question. “You were suddenly smiling when saw the drizzle,” Tiffany said.

     “Uh, nothing. I love rain,” she replied, briefly. Tiffany was chuckling.

      “Since when? I thought you hate rain, since it could make you wet and mess up your hair,” Tiffany was asking with smile, obviously she didn’t buy Jessica’s lie. But she didn’t take it as a matter since she only wanted to tease Jessica.

       The bell was ringing, as the sign that class was over. Both Tiffany and Jessica quickly put their stuff into their bag. Tiffany was slinging her bag, followed by Jessica. They were walking together with Tiffany towed Jessica’s hand, as they were used to.

      “Eh, Fani-aaa,” suddenly Jessica said. Tiffany’s head was tilting, facing her.

      “I think you back home first, I have something to do,” Jessica said. Tiffany was frowning, trying to figure out what Jessica wanted to do, but she couldn’t find any clue at Jessica’s innocent face. She was shrugging her shoulder. “Are you sure?”

        Jessica was nodding her head.

       “Okay, just let me know when you’re reaching home,” Tiffany said and patted Jessica’s head – her usual habit to show her affection toward her best friend. Jessica was smiling and again, nodding her head. Tiffany waved her hand and slowly disappeared from her sight.

       Yuri was capturing the same moment again, just like yesterday. She was narrowing her eyes in her doubt, as she wasn’t sure it was the same object again. But the fact was just indisputable; she wasn’t wrong. The blonde one was standing at the same place like yesterday, under the same roof, and facing the rain. The only little difference was, yesterday the rain was so heavy, but today it seemed just will keep continuing as the drizzle only. She hesitated for a moment before finally decided to approach her again.

       “Annyeong,” Yuri was greeting. Jessica was lifting her head, turning her gaze from the ground toward Yuri. She was releasing a warm smile to her.

       “Y-your chauffeur stuck in the middle of jam again?” Yuri was guessing.

       “No. He’s sick,” Jessica was building lie.

       “Ummm... And now... you can’t back home due to rain?”

       Jessica was bitting her bottom lip and nodding her head, making innocent mark on her face.

       “Uhm, you didn’t bring my umbrella?”

       “Oh, sorry...,” Jessica said. “How reckless I’m. I forgot it and left it at my house...”

       “Uhm, it’s ok,” Yuri smiled, assuring her. “You can take my raincoat if you want,” Yuri took her raincoat from her schoolbag and offered it to Jessica. Jessica’s eyes got widened, as she was surprising by Yuri’s action.

       “B-but you?”

       “Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. I love rain and I used to play with my brother under the rain. I won’t be sick,” Yuri said. “Moreover, it isn’t a hard rain, it’s drizzle only!” Yuri was convincing her.

       “Come on, let me help you to wear it!” Yuri insisted in well-manner. She was ing the coat and helping Jessica to wear it. Jessica was only standing, as Yuri helped to put the coat on her fast.

       “Nah, now you should back home,” Yuri suggested as she saw Jessica’s already on her raincoat.

       “Uhm, tomorrow I’ll make sure to bring both your umbrella and this coat, Yul..”

       “Take it easy, Sica,” Yuri said with a soft tone. Jessica was waving her hand to Yuri and turning back to the opposite side. Then she secretly released a happy smile when she was sure Yuri couldn’t catch it from behind.