Broken

Letters to Juliet

 

junhyung pov---

 

Shirts and socks were scattered in discord across my room. I continued to aimlessly fling the basic nessecities into my suitcase. I packed my two uniforms, five pairs of jeans, sweats, an armful of shirts, a handful of undergarments, and my three pairs of shoes. I slammed the suitcase shut, zipping it up tight. I paced over to my desk, stacking up all my homework and schoolbooks into seperate piles, placing them into my backpack and a dufflebag respectively. I zipped both up. A final glance was cast across my scattered room. It mirrored perfectly what was left of my family after they took Hara's side. Torn down were my many posters I'd adorned of KARA and 2NE1. Gone were all the mangas that used to line the shelves. Broken were the frames that held the photos of my family vacations. Forgotten was the bed, unmade and messy. It was broken.

My family was broken.

Throwing the dufflebag and backpack over my shoulders, I opened the door to my room. I walked down the hallway, my footsteps echoing through the hallowed halls. It seemed darker walking down this hallway than it'd ever been before. Maybe its because the hallway doesn't want me to leave. It wants to prevent my way down it, to prevent me from going. The photos of my family seemed to stare at me as I passed them. My own eyes followed my footsteps, asking me why I changed with every step I took. Hyuna's door was tightly shut, and no sound came from behind it. She was probably emotionally exhausted thanks to the events of earlier today.

was emotionally exhausted thanks to today.

I descended the stairs to see my furious father and mother comforting a crying Hara. I didn't even bother acknowledging them as I walked towards the door.

"Yong Junhyung!! Where the hell do you think you're going?" My father yelled at me. It didn't stop my movements though.

"Away. I can't live in such a broken home." I simply replied, stopping for a moment to rip down a photo that hung of me smiling.

"Junhyung!" It was my mother that spoke now. "Get back here this instant and apoligize to Hara!"

"And why the hell should I do that?" I resumed my walk to the door.

"Junhyung! I swear to God, if you leave this house, you're never welcome back home!"

"Good. I don't want to come back to here."

"W-w-why does oppa hate me?" Hara sniffled from her place on the couch, resuming her sobbing. My mom gasped, holding her closer.

"Junhyung! Now look what you've done! You've made your finacée cry!" My mom scolded, still trying to soothe Hara.

"Good." I opened the door to my house, glancing one more back at my family. My father was furious, my mother was furious, and the on the couch was furious. "Oh, and one more thing. Don't take your anger on me out on my dongsaeng. She doesn't deserve it."

And I slammed the door behind me, not looking back once.

---

The walk to Doojoon's house seemed a lot shorter than it'd ever been. Maybe because this time when I walked to his house, I had an actual destination in mind. Maybe it was the country. But he lived farther from me here in Seoul than he did when we lived in LA. Maybe it was because it was so damn cold outside that I decided to pick up my pace, just to make it there without freezing to death. Who knows. But it was shorter than it'd ever been before.

And I thank God for that.

Lugging my luggage up the front steps proved to be a hassle. I knocked on the door three times and waited patiently. The door opened slowly, revealing a small boy looking up at me with large eyes. He narrowed them and pouted his lips out.

"Who are you?" He asked simply. I opened my mouth to reply, but before I could get any words out I heard Doojoon's yelling coming from inside.

"Yah! Junhong! Where the hell are you?!" I furrowed my brows, wondering why Doojoon was calling me. I began to speak, but the little boy gasped and ran outside, hiding behind me.

"Yah, creepy ahjusshi. Hide me from my Hyung." He whispered, ducking beneath my leg.

"Yah! Junhong! Where the he-" Doojoon's yelling halted as he appeared in the doorway. He looked... Just as I'd imagined him to look at seven at night. His hair was all piled on top of his head, kept together with a hair tye. His sweatpants hung loosely at his waist and the tank top he wore hung below his waist. He'd taken out his contacts, his glasses pushed up on his head. I sheepishly smiled at the older boy and he sighed. He ruffled a hand in his hair, letting it fall out of the hair tye.

"Yong Junhyung. What are you doing at my house at such an hour? And have you seen my kid brother?"

"You mean this boy?" I asked, pushing the said boy out from behind me. He hissed at me.

"Yah! Creepy ahjusshi! You were supposed to hide me from my hyung!"

"Zelo..." I heard Doojoon coo, using a different name this time. "Zelo-ah... Come to your hyung, ara?"

"But hyung's mad at me since I accidently ripped your poster of Tiffany!" Zelo, Junhong?, sniffled from beside me, tears pricking his big eyes.

"Ani. I'm not mad anymore. Promise. Now go back inside, Zelo. I need to talk to the creepy ahjusshi here."

"B-b-but hyung..."

"Junhong. Go. And I'll make you some cookies and hot chocolate later, mm?" Zelo immediately perked up at that thought, nodding his head emphatically.

"Bye, creepy ahjusshi!" Zelo chirped, slipping past me and hopping on into the house. I looked at Doojoon who was smiling as his younger brother ran along in the house. He sighed, turning his attention back to me. I smiled sheepishly at the older, holding up my luggage.

"Can I get in on those cookies and hot chocolate too?" I whispered, the tiredness finally coming back. Doojoon smiled back at me, opening the door wider, inviting me in.

"Sure. And you can leave your bags in my room too."

---

Doojoon rubbed his temples from where he sat across from me. He'd been silent since I'd told my story, obviously lost in his own thoughts. The hot chocolate sat in front of him, long forgotten. I slowly sipped at my own, eyeing my hyung over the rim of my cup. He seemed to stop breathing for a few seconds, before starting up again. I placed my mug of hot chocolate on the table, exhaling and rubbing my hands on my arms, trying in vain to warm them up. Doojoon slowly opened his eyes, leaning forward and resting on his forearms. He sighed, his gaze turned downward towards the table. I could tell he was measuring his words, wondering what he should or shouldn't say at this point in time.

"So... Let me get this straight. Long ago, before you can even remember, your parents and Hara's parents decided to engage you two? And they made it seem like a coincidence when you two met in the first place. But they were even more thrilled when you dated her, but then she cheated on you. So you broke up with her, but now she's reappeared here in Seoul? And your parents are completely and utterly on her side? But they don't know, do they? How you're gay? And how you  are in love with-" I covered his mouth before he could say my Juliet's name, simply nodding as he spoke.

"In a nutshell, yes..." I sighed, dropping my head to my hands and feeling the tears returning. "Why the hell did she have to come back, Doo? I've finally moved on from her, and had a true chance to be happy, so why the hell does she think its okay to come back and ruin the fragile stability in my family?" I sniffled, wiping underneath my now wet eyes.

"Aish..." Doojoon rubbed his hand against his hair from across me. "Jun... you know I at tears..."

"I-I know... B-b-but why?" I began to cry into my hands, trying to wipe the tears. Doojoon sighed.

"Jun..."

"What?"

"Come here..."

And I, Yong Junhyung, crawled over to Doojoon. I, Yong Junhyung, let Doojoon hold me as I cried into his shoulder. I let him whisper soft, comforting words to me. I let myself cry for leaving Hyuna. I let myself cry for believing Hara. I let myself cry for losing Hyunseung to the . I let myself cry... And The entire time as I wept, Doojoon didn't say a single word. Not one word.

Minutes passed before I was able to finally compose myself. Doojoon sighed, leading me to the couch where I curled up into a ball. He left for a few minutes, and I heard rustling in the kitchen. Footsteps approached me, and soon I was face to face with Doojoon's kid brother, Zelo.

"Creepy ahjusshi... Were you crying?" Zelo asked innocently, his large eyes boring into mine.

"N-no... Of course not. It's unbecoming of a man to cry." I stuttered out.

"Hyung says it's also unbecoming of a man to lie." Zelo corrected, and his statement made me smile slightly. Zelo leaned forward, placing a quick kiss on my cheek. "There, creepy ahjusshi. I've now given you the magic to be happy. Ara? Don't waste it creepy ahjusshi!! You better not waste it!" Zelo scurried away, and his childishness made me chuckle.

"Yah, Yong Junhyung. Stop seducing my little brother." I heard Doojoon's voice come from above me, and I watched as he placed a bowl of soup and some coke on the table in front of me.

"He kissed me, Doo. Not the other way around." I smirked, reaching out and enclosing my hand greedily on the can of coke. Doojoon sighed, sitting on the other edge of the couch.

"Jun..."

"I'm fine now, Doo... I know what you're thinking, and I'm totally fine. I promise Doo. Alright?" I opened the can of coke and took a swig of it. It tasted different, and not a good different. Maybe the events of today caused it to taste this way.

"Junhyung. You're not fine. I know. You were just crying your heart out for God's Sake!" Doojoon began to raise his voice. I placed the can on the table, straightening up so I could face him.

"Doojoon. You're right. I'm not fine. I'm not sure how long it'll be before I'm actually okay again. But right now, I have this fragile peace inside of me. It's fragile, I promise you. But at least its some sort of peace. At least its better than nothing. Alright? I'll be fine... Eventually. I will. But... Until then, can I stay here? Until I find somewhere else to stay?" Doojoon sighed, running a hand through his hair.

"Jun. You can stay here as long as you need. Forever, even."

"Promise?" I held out my pinky, remembering how we'd do this all the time back in the states. Doojoon chuckled, extending his pinky out and wrapping it around mine.

"Pinky." I smiled softly, retracting my hand and placing it back into my lap. I was drifting off to sleep when I heard the doorbell ring. I peeked open a single eye to see Doojoon's own eyes widen.

"... I forgot he was coming..."

"Who was coming?"

Doojoon didn't need to reply, because my attention was immediately fixed on the boy standing in the doorway. His eyes were closed under his locks of red hair, so he hadn't seen me yet.

"Hyung? I'm here." The doe-eyed boy said, slipping his shoes off, his eyes still closed. Doojoon let out a stream of curse words, and I felt my mouth running dry. I didn't know what had taken over my body because all I wanted to do in that moment was jump off the couch and throw my arms around the older boy. I wanted nothing more than to tell him how much of an idiot I was for making him cry earlier. I wanted to assure him I didn't love Hara, that Hara was nothing to me now. I wanted to tell him he was my Juliet, not Hara.

But I couldn't.

I couldn't because I was afraid.

"Hyung? Why aren't you sa-" Hyunseung raised his eyes and they immediately locked on mine. His eyes, his beautiful, perfect doe eyes, were puffy. Red and puffy from all the tears he'd cried earlier.

Red and puffy because I'm an idiot.

"Jun, I forgot to tell you." Doojoon cleared his throat as he stood up and strolled over to Hyunseung, throwing his arm around his shoulder. "Hyunseung-ah and I are partnered for a project in Chem. I'd told him he could come over today and I forgot because..." His voice trailed off.

"I-It's okay, Hyung. I-I didn't know you had company. I-I'll just be going now..." I watched in agony as Hyunseung shrugged out from under Doojoons arm. He turned his back to me, bending over as he laced his shoes onto his feet.

I couldn't let him leave like this.

Before I knew what was happening, I had left the couch and latched my arms around his waist. I felt his back go rigid, a small gasp escaping his lips. His hands stopped their tying, his breathing becoming uneven. I nuzzled my face into his back, trying to hide the redness on it. I took a shaky breath, tightening my grip around his waist, my voice shaky as I spoke.

"Don't go..."

 

a/n: Thank you all so much for reading this chapter~ Did you enjoy it? ^^ I really think this is moving slow... If you want me to pick up the pace, make sure to say so in the comments, alright? ^^ Thank you all~ I love you <33