Meeting the Family

Letters to Juliet

junhyung pov---

April 12th, 2009

The next few weeks have been uneventful.

I spent my time the only way I've found in Korea. I spend all of Language Arts staring at the beauty I've been blessed to sit next to, get dragged out of all my classes by Dongwoon and Doojoon, exchange glares with Jiyong the , go home, and repeat. I've been confessed to also by around ten girls, and two guys. I shot all them down, of course. Only one guy sits in my heart right now. One beautiful, red-headed angel. One red-headed angel with the eyes of a doe, the voice of a songbird, the kindness of an angel, the beauty of Juliet, the grace of a swan. Everything. And this beauty honors me with an hour of his time every day.

This beauty.

My beauty.

Jang Hyunseung. 

Damnit Hyunseung. I've known you for less than a month, and look what you've done to me. But why do you let that of a human stay by your side? Why do you let him play with your hair, intertwine your fingers whenever you guys walk through the hallway, hold your bag for you, brush his knee with yours whenever you sit together at lunch. Why do you let him be by your side? Can't you see through his facade, Hyunseung? Have you been blinded by what you believe to be his halo which are actually his horns? Why do you let him, Kwon Jiyong, be by your side?

Why can't it be me by your side?

Frustratedly yours,

Junhyung

 


 

I let out a sigh as I closed the diary, pushing it to the edge of my desk. The first rays of daylight began to filter through my room on this Sunday morning. Standing up from my desk, I stretched my arms out in front of me and shuffled over to my closet, removing the pair of pants I'd fallen asleep in last night and putting sweats on. I put a simple white tank on and pulled my bangs up into a hair tye. Sitting back down at my desk, I removed the math homework from my backpack and spread it over the desk. I sighed as I began to try and calculate these damn matricies. I was deep in thought when my door slammed open and in ran Hyuna, her small cheeks flushed as though she'd ran here really fast.

"Oppa!" She exclaimed from the door, running to my desk and sitting on it. I waved her away, still trying to calculate the determinate for this 4x4 matrix. Hyuna pouted out her lower lip and plucked the pencil out of my hand.

"Yah!" I exclaimed at the young girl. Hyuna simply stuck her tounge out at me, twirling the pencil in her fingers. She jumped off my desk, plucking the hair tye out of my bangs as well. My bangs fell in my eyes and I let out a frustrated sigh, pushing them away.

"Now that I have your attention, you have to get ready oppa. Umma told me that you have to drive me to Geurim-ah's house and drive us to the mall. Umma thinks itll be good for you to get out of the house with people other than Joonie-oppa and Woonie-oppa." Hyuna claimed in a sing-songy voice. I groaned, grabbing another pencil and turning my attention to the math in front of me. No way in hell was I ever going to drive my kid sister and her little friends to some damn mall for them to just sort through clothes for hours upon hours and then force me to carry those damned bags. They'll probably even expect for me to pay for their lunch, and even buy them some clothes. Nope. Not going to do it.

"Hyuna, get out. I need to do my math homework. And I can't get anything done with you being annoying as hell in my room. Get. Out." I sneered at my sister, continuing on my math.

"B-but oppa..." Hyuna sniffled, fluttering her big eyelashes at me. "I just thought you'd want to spend time with other guys. I didn't tell you? Geurim-ah has an older brother too. What was his name? Hyonseung? Seunghyun? Oh that was it! Hyunseung!"

"I'll be ready in five."

I slammed the door in Hyuna's face, a giddy smile on my face as I ran into the bathroom. I reached for the bottle of concealer and began to dab it underneath my eyes, the smile stretching wider on my face. I walked out of the bathroom, throwing a jacket over my tank top and changing out of my sweats into my shorts. Hyuna was already ready by the time I arrived downstairs, my keys in her hand. I grabbed them from her an exited the house, trying to control my joy but failing miserably. Hyuna jumped in the passenger seat and smirked at me. "Oppa." She whispered in my ear. "You're blushing."

Well duh, I'm blushing.

It's the first time I'll see Hyunseung not in school.

Thank you, Hyuna.

-----

I pulled up in front of the Jang's house fifteen minutes later and parked the car. I looked at my reflection in the mirror for what must have been the hundredth time, assuring myself I looked fine. Hyuna giggled from the passenger's seat, unbuckling her seatbelt and getting out of the car. Murmuring words of encouragement, I checked my reflection one last time before following Hyuna to the front door. I noticed the ornate Gothic style architecture of the building, a single tree standing tall and strong. Hyuna knocked three times, my eyes still lingering on the tree that ended at a second-story window. Scuffling noises could be heard from inside the house, the sounds of dogs barking present. A minute passed before a woman opened the door, smiling as she recognized Hyuna.

"Hyuna. Come on in. And who's this?" The lady asked, and Hyuna bowed lowly to her.

"Annyeonghaseyo, umma. This is my oppa, Junhyung. He sits next to Hyunseung-oppa in Language Arts. He's going to be driving me and Geurim-ah to the mall today." Hyuna said, and I extended a hand to shake who must of been Hyunseung's mother. He had her eyes and small, petite frame. The sound of two pairs of footsteps descended the stairs and in came a girl with my angel's arm wrapped around her.

"Oppa!" The girl whined, trying to throw Hyunseung's arm off of her. She looked exactly like Hyunseung did, except you know. In female form. And Hyunseung's hair was a beautiful shade of red whereas hers was a more natural auburn. "Let go of me." The girl pouted, and Hyunseung let out a laugh that resembled the sound of bells. "Hyunah's here, and I have to get going. Her brother's going to drive us, and I don't want to keep him waiting."

Only then, at the mention of Hyuna's brother being here, did Hyunseung raise his beautiful doe eyes to meet the gaze of mine. Shock was written all over his face, replaced by confusion, before finally settling on a happy smile. He smiled. For me. My heart must've stopped for a few seconds. He finally removed his arm from Geurim's shoulder, brushing a few scarlet locks out of his eyes as he took the few steps over to me. I felt his fingers wrap their way around my wrist as he tugged on it. "Umma. I'm going to take Junhyung-ssi up to my room. Arraso? Go ahead and make some lunch here. Geurim-ah and Hyunah won't be leaving until after lunch anyways."

Not allowing his mom a chance to reply, Hyunseung led me up the stairs and into a room on the far left side. He opened the door, revealing a room with a desk, a bookshelf, a bed, and a window seat directly above the bed. Hyunseung dropped my hand and ushered me inside, closing the door behind him quietly and taking a seat on his bed. He patted the space next to him, and I swallowed the lump in my throat. I tentatively sat on the bed and looked anywhere but at Hyunseung's eyes.

"Junhyung-ssi." His voice brought my eyes to his, a smile playing on his face. "I didn't know you were Hyunah's oppa." 

​"Mm." I replied simply. "You know, Hyunseung-ah... You can drop the ssi from my name. We've known each other for almost a month now." The big doe eyes widened, a smile forming on his face as my words registered.

"A-ah! Jeongmal?" I nodded and I noticed a faint pink color start to form on his cheeks. "G-gomawo, Junhyung-ah." My name sounded so much better coming from his mouth without the ssi on the end. We sat like that in a comfortable silence, my attention on the tree outside and Hyunseung twiddling his thumbs in front of him. "Junhyung-ah... This is the first time I've ever seen you outside of school."

"It is, isn't it?"

"Has anyone ever told you how different you look in street clothes versus school uniforms?"

"No, you're act-"

"I personally prefer uniforms, to be honest. How about you, Junhyung-ah?"

"I really don't ha-"

"Jeongmal?! How can you not know what you prefer?"

"I've never re-"

"Ahh! That reminds me, Junhyung-ah. Where'd you live before coming to Seoul?"

"I lived in America. Lo-"

"Ahh! America! That makes sense why you speak English so well."

"I could tuto-"

"I wish I spoke English as well as you, Junhyung-ah. Life would be so much easier that way."

"Hyunseung-ah..."

"Then I could go to Australia! I've always wanted to go to Australia! Or France."

"Seung..."

"But if I went to France, I'd have to know French, right?"

"Hyunseung..."

"Aish! I've decided! I'll lea-"

"Hyunseung!" I finally raised my voice loud enough for the older boy to stop speaking, his mouth forming into a small circle as pink colored his cheeks. He dropped his gaze and focused on the floor in front of him. His expression was hidden by the gentle locks of red hair that fell in front of his face.

"M-m-mianhe... Junhyung-ah... I-I-I tend t-to ba-babble a lot... Y-you know... W-when I feel more c-comfortable around someone... I-I guess I just feel comfortable around you, J-Junhyung. M-mianhe..." Hyunseung's voice was small, soft. Almost inaudible. I was able to hear it though. I don't know what took over me, but something posessed me to reach out and wrap my arms around the older boy, pulling his thin frame to my larger one and hugging him to my body. I felt his body tense up, and I was in the motion of pulling away when I felt his arms wrap around me, him hugging me close to him. My heart was pounding so hard in my chest, I was frightened it was going to explode.

"It's fine, Hyunseung-ah... I don't mind if you babble. And I can help you with you're French and English, if you want." I whispered into his hair. Hyunseung pulled away, smiling up at me. his face still flushed.

"Jeongmal?" He mused, the smile still on his face.

"Mmm."

"Junhyung-ah..."

"Mmm?"

"I think we're going to be great friends."

Too bad I want to be more than friends...

But I couldn't say that out loud, so I simply nodded. But when I nodded, it felt like I was lying to him, saying I wanted to just be friends.

When I actually wanted so much more.

"Oppa!" Luckily I wasn't hugging Hyunseung anymore when the door slammed open, revealing Geurim and Hyuna in the doorway. "Oppa! Ppalli!" Geurim said once again, running over to the bed and grabbing onto his hand, pulling him off of the bed. "Umma's making her 'famous' tomato soup and grilled cheese. Junnie-oppa... You don't want to try it. Now hurry up Oppa! We need to get out of this house before she forces us to eat that disaster she calls food!"

We were out of the house in a minute.

-----

The parking lot of the mall was jam-packed. It seemed as if everyone had decided that this Sunday was the day they were going to go to the mall. It was hell trying to find a parking spot, especially with Hyuna and Geurim giggling the entire time in the back seat. Hyunseung took a liking to staring out of the window, obviously precoccupied with his own thoughts. I finally was able to find a parking spot semi-near the entrance and Hyuna and Geurim jumped out immediately. Hyuna yelled to me something about her having her phone on her if I needed to contact her. I got out of the car, trying to suppress the smile that kept finding its way onto my face. Finally some alone time with Hyunseung.

"Seungie?"

I turned my face to see a blonde wearing way too much eyeliner and too many accessories coming our way.

"Ji-hyung?!"

Fan. Freaking. Tastic.

 

a/n: Aish~! So sorry everyone. ^^; I was supposed to have this chapter up yesterday, but my friend had me make her halloween costume and softball and yea... Hopefully it was worth the wait? What are you all going as for halloween? ^^ I'm going to be a little sister from Bioshock. Remember to comment and suscribe, because I am the most lazy person on this planet and have no motivation about anything but food. Yea... So comment and suscribe and make this lazy author feel loved, ne? Saranghaeyo~!! <33