Goodbye, Seoul

Circle

 

Although the day of Jinri's departure to Beijing was very bright--the azure sky was crystal clear and the sun was shining without any hesitation--her heart was clouded with gloom. The events from the night before were still vivid in her memories: she felt her heart constricted as she watched Sehun's revelation and Luhan's confession were played back in her mind. She grazed her fingers along her plump lips; she could still feel the softness of Luhan's lips on hers and the saltiness of their farewell kiss. She rested her forehead at the taxi's tinted window. The sight of the familiar roads from her house to the airport suffocated her even more as she realized that she would probably never see it again for years.
 
Jinri felt a reassuring light squeeze on her hand and turned to Soojung who was seated next to Jinri. The two long haired girl exchanged glances before Soojung became the first one to smile comfortingly between the two. Jinri followed suit and broke into a smile as well but then Soojung bit her lower lip to hold back the tears threatening to fall from her doe-like eyes.
 
When they had finally arrived in the airport, Jinri step out of the taxi reluctantly. To be honest, she didn't want to leave--there were still so many things that she wanted to do: she still wanted to tell everything that happened the night before to Soojung, to have another talk with Sehun after his revelation, and to see Luhan one more time--but Jinri didn't have any other choices. She sluggishly dragged her feet to follow her parents and stopped near the gate to bid Soojung goodbye.
 
"I guess this is it," Jinri breathed out roughly; tears had almost escaped her. She attempted a smile at Soojung but failed miserably  as her lips was slightly quivering. Soojung nodded with glassy eyes before engulfing Jinri in a tight hug.
 
“I’ll miss you, I’ll miss you so much. How could I survive without you?” Soojung wailed onto Jinri's shoulder, wetting Jinri's shirt with her tears. Jinri was speechless as her own uncontrollable tears had succesfully choked her into silence. Jinri could only nod wordlessly as she Soojung’s back soothingly. Soojung was her best girlfriend during high school and she couldn’t imagine how her life would be without Soojung’s wittiness and obnoxiousness. Yes, Soojung did annoy her many times but Soojung was also the one who always supported her during all the hard times she had faced. She had owed Soojung a lot and she hadn’t gotten the chance to pay Soojung back.
 
"Jinri!"
 
Soojung released Jinri when they heard a familiar voice calling for Jinri. Jinri wiped her tears with the back of her hand before she turned and the pale boy who was gripping both of his knees as he catched his breath.
 
"Sehun..." Jinri said softly while attempting to smile at Sehun, who had straightened his back despite of his still rapid breathing. Beads of sweat were dampening his bangs.
 
"I'm sorry I'm late, I overslept," he apologized between breaths. Jinri nodded. However, no words were spoken between them afterwards. Sehun stared blankly at her, as if he was unsure of what he should tell Jinri. After everything that he had told her, it was natural for them to be awkward with each other. However, Sehun his lips before he finally spoke with eyes full of determination.
 
“Jinri, take care in Beijing. And… I’m sorry, I…”
 
Sehun was cut off when Jinri wrapped her arms around his shoulder, pulling him into a tight embrace and burrying her head on his chest. “Thank you, Sehun, for everything,” she whispered between sobs as her tears begun to fall again, ”Thank you. I could never thank you enough. And I’m so sorry, Sehun. I’m so sorry. I can't… I wish you happiness, Sehun. You are so kind, you deserve happiness, Sehun.”
 
She cried harder on his chest as memories of their past flashed in her mind. Sehun was the best friend she had ever had. They were always side by side during almost every moments in their life—their first day in pre-school, their elementary school graduation, their Junior high school examination, their high school entrance ceremony, his older sister marriage—they bantered and bickered a lot, but their friendship was really precious. Even with all the drama that happened between them, Sehun was still one of the best thing that had ever happened in her life.
 
Sehun awkwardly patted her back, trying to calm Jinri.
 
“I am sorry, too,” Sehun started firmly but his voice began to crack in the end, ”to you and Luhan-hyung. I shouldn't have...," he paused as he closed his eyes to let his tears slowly fell to his pale cheeks; the rest of his word was unheard. He cleared his throat before he continued, "And thank you, for everything that you have done for me. Thank you so much, Jinri.” Sehun hugged her back tightly as if not wanting to let her go. Seventeen years wasn't a short period of time and parting after seventeen years was definitely not easy, especially with a best friend.
 
However, they had to break apart when Jinri's mother tugged Jinri, telling her that they need to leave. Jinri hugged Soojung one more time before she followed her parents into the gate. Jinri stole a glance over her shoulder for the last time and saw Soojung bawled loudly to her palms--her shoulder were shaking violently--while Sehun stood beside her, one of his hand squeezed her shoulder to comfort her while his other arm covered his mouth as tears fell from his reddened eyes soundlessly.
 
Jinri bit her quivering lip.
 
Goodbye, my best friends.

 
 
It was an hour after Jinri checked in at the airport. She was quietly reading a book in an empty bench, accompanied by her parents’ handbags on her side as they wandered around the shops. Her face was still moist with traces of tears but she was no longer crying. She was deeply immersed in the book when something hit her head from above. It turned out to be a small clutter of paper. When she opened it, she saw a familiar messy writing telling her to look up. Her heart beat increased in excitement as she followed the instruction. A beautiful man with gorgeous dirty blonde hair and sparkling doe eyes looked back at her while smiling warmly from the second floor.
 
Luhan.
 
An audible gasp escaped her lips when she recognized his features. However, she saw him putted his index finger in front of his lips and winked. A playful smile was displayed on his thin lips.
 
Be quiet.
 
Jinri nodded but she still couldn’t believe her eyes. She felt tears began to brim in her eyes and quickly wiped it with the back of her hand. She looked around to make sure that her parents weren’t around because they surely wouldn't be glad to see Luhan again. She felt another piece paper hit her head. She couldn’t contain her excitement while she was opening it with her tremblings fingers.
 
I'm sorry. Don’t cry again, Jinri-ah.
 
She bit her lower lip; his message actually had contrastive effect on her and made her wanted to cry instead. Another message was thrown but it fell into her hands. She read it soundlessly.
 
Good luck in Beijing. I know you'll be ok there.
 
She looked up and nodded at him, trying her best to smile while holding back her tears. He pointed at her and used his index finger to motion that she had to pay close attention to him and so she did.
 
He pointed to himself with both of his thumbs while mouthing a word.
 
I
 
He then made a small heart shape with both of his hands in front of his chest as his lips moved soundlessly.
 
love
 
He pointed at her with both of his index fingers. His trademark warm eye smile was plastered on his face but she knew that there was melancholy behind that smile.
 
you
 
And Jinri couldn’t hold it anymore; tears streamed down her cheeks like a waterfall. She cried to her palms and her shoulders were shaking uncontrollably. It was even more painful for her to leave Seoul after she knew that Luhan had feelings for her. She loved him and he loved her but the circumstances didn't allow them to be with each other.
 
When her parents came back to her before they boarded the plane, they were surprised that their daughter had broken into tears again. Jinri shook her head forcefully while harshly wiping her swollen eyes and reddened wet nose. "I'm okay," she said, trying to assure them but failing in doing so. However, her parents decided to keep their opinion to themselves and let Jinri thought that she could deceive them. When they weren't looking, she quickly stole a glance to the second floor. Her heart plummeted when she saw that Luhan looked back at her with a poignant smile. Affection was gleaming from his glassy, reddened eyes. He waved at her and she smiled back at him before she hurriedly diverted her gaze to elsewhere, afraid that her parents might spot Luhan.
 
Goodbye, Luhan.---

 

“Flight attendances, prepare to take off.”
 
Jinri leaned her head to the head rest as the plane gathered it speed before taking off. She gazed at the window right at her right side and saw the smooth air strip slowly getting further and in a matter of minutes the roads and skyscrapers had gradually become smaller.
 
Seoul was getting farther from her. She was leaving the city and its tall buildings, majestic palaces, beautiful rivers, crowded streets, and scrumptious street vendors. She was leaving her friendly school mates, her fellow math geeks and book lovers, that kind old lady who lived across the street with her cats, and the gigantic tree standing next to her room in her old house. She was the leaving city where she was born, the city where she grew up with Sehun, the city where she befriended the precious Soojung, and the city where she fell in love with Luhan.
 
A lone tear escaped from her eyes and she quickly wiped it with her the back of her hand. A poignant smile formed on her lips.
 
Goodbye, Seoul.


THE END


 

AN:

So, this is it, the end of 'Circle'. I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I enjoy writing it. Thank you so much for all the supports that you all have given to me. All the comments are really lovely and they all really enlightened my days. To all the 71 subscribers, thank you for staying with me until the end. Please tell me how you guys feel about the story and the ending in the comment box below.

There'll be a sequel/epilogue to this story soon. It will be titled "This Luhan". The link to that story will be up in the next chapter, please  look forward to it.

 

With many-many thankful love,

himalayancat