Chapter Five

Stand By U

~

Donghae really thinks that today is a bad day. He has not seen Hyukjae yet and the other is not even replying in his texts. Well today is Saturday and usually when there are no classes he spends his time hanging out and having quality times with his boyfriend. But yesterday night his baby texted him saying that Kibum have informed him that they’ll be having a meeting with their group mates tomorrow to work on the project that they have. And since he didn’t want to be much of a possessive boyfriend he then said ok. To be honest not having their quality time is not what he’s concerned about, what is really keeping him worried is the fact that Hyukjae is with Kibum again.


Kim Kibum. Oh how he loathe that name.


Well it has been a month since Kibum has transferred to Hyukjae’s class, and ever since then the boy seemed to always stick with Hyukjae… HIS boyfriend Hyukjae. At first he didn’t really put much thought to it, he knows that Hyukjae is just very charming that’s why people seem to like him or become fond of him easily. So when Kibum first started to stick around Hyukjae he saw it as a normal Hyukjae charm effect, but then he observed how every story, every text, every meetings that Hyukjae has told him about, Kibum was included. And you know why? It’s because the guy seems to always have a reason to be with Hyukjae! Then there are also the glares, smirks, and looks he gets from the guy whenever he comes to fetch Hyukjae, or when they meet up with him when it’s time to go home. Even their friends realized how Kibum seems to be always with Hyukjae that they can even compare it to the time Donghae is with Hyukjae, plus it doesn’t really help that Hyukjae and Kibum are in the same class and Donghae is in an another class. After all these signs Donghae decided that it’s safe to assume that this Kibum guy definitely has a thing for Hyukjae… HIS boyfriend Hyukjae!


Just thinking about it makes Donghae’s head ache. He really needed to talk to Hyukjae about this. And fast.


~


Meanwhile at Kibum’s house where the meeting has been held, Hyukjae’s other group mates have just went home since they decided that they were done for that day. Their project is basically done and only needs a little polishing before they pass it. Hyukjae was also preparing to leave, having already texted Donghae that he is done and so they can finally meet up at their favorite café to spend some time together. He was quite guilty because he actually forgot to reply Donghae’s messages since he became too focused on their project once they started doing it. He opened the door of the house and was about to walk out when Kibum suddenly called him.

“Uhmm… Hyukjae! Do you think you can spare me some minute? I actually wanted to ask you something.” Kibum said while looking intently at Hyukjae.


Hyukjae then turned around to face him, “Oh yeah sure. Is it about the project?” he replied while smiling kindly at the other. Not even bothering to close the door again since he thought that their conversation will just be short.


The raven-haired guy then stepped closer to Hyukjae, while still staring at him intently.


“Actually no. What I wanted to ask is that, can’t you still remember me Hyukjae?” Kibum smiled then.


“Huh? What are you saying??” Hyukjae then asked, being completely confused as to what the other is saying.


“I guess you still can’t remember me then huh? Good thing I do remember you.” the other boy chuckled seeing the confused face of the blonde boy. “You see, we’ve actually been friends longer than you think.” He continued to smile while reaching from his pocket and giving Hyukjae a certain strawberry flavored candy.


Hyukjae was still confused as he mindlessly reached out for the candy. “Uhm what???”


Not being able to take the cuteness of the blonde anymore, Kibum finally speaks.


“Remember when you were younger, you went to the park and then you saw this boy. He was lonely because no one from the park wanted to play with him. He speaks korean in a funny accent, and yet you stayed with him and played with him until you needed to go. Hyukjae that boy was me.” he smiled. “You even gave me that candy before you left saying that you were my friend.”


Hyukjae then started to work the gears in his head and suddenly his confusion then developed into a realization when he did remember that certain incident.


“OMG! That was you!??” he half-shouted, wide-eyed and all while pointing at the other boy.


Kibum could only chuckle again, “Yes yes, that was me. It’s nice to be finally remembered again.” he then reached out his hand to Hyukjae, initiating a handshake.


“Omg. I can’t believe it! That was years ago, I remember you saying that you were only here for your family vacation then. But now you’re even studying at the same school as me! Does that mean that your family decided to settle back here again?” Hyukjae then replied nonstop as he accepted the handshake the other boy offered.


“Yeah we finally decided to move back here again. It was really funny though that when I first started to go to school here, I was lucky enough to meet my old friend again.” Kibum said while still smiling at the other.


“Wow this is really amazing! This is great! It really is nice to see you again!” Hyukjae replied, suddenly pouncing on the other because of the happy moment. Of course the other wasted no time in snaking his arms at Hyukjae’s waist.


“Ehem!!!!” a familiar sound made Hyukjae jumped out of the hug and turned to see that standing in front of the door is his boyfriend.


“Am I interrupting something?” the newcomer questioned, a frown can be seen on his face clearly not liking the scene he saw.


Donghae was about to go straight at the café after he received the text from Hyukjae, saying that he’s done with the meeting. But he then realized that Kibum’s house was on his way to the café, so he thought it would be better to just fetch Hyukjae so they can go together. Although, he did not expect to see his boyfriend hugging that guy when he made his way towards the doorstep of the said house.


“Oh Hae! You would not believe this!” Hyukjae said as he walked out the door towards his lover, oblivious of the frown the said guy is sporting. “I’ve known Kibum from before!” he continued while wrapping his arms around Donghae’s arm.


Donghae could only frown more. “What?” he asked.


Hyukjae then told the little story on how he knew Kibum from before. Donghae zoned out a little after understanding the main story but Hyukjae continued to talk on how amazing everything was. As he was wrapping his thoughts around everything that is happening, he accidentally gazed at where Kibum was standing. The said guy was leaning at the door frame, a smirk plastered on his face once again as he looked smugly towards his way. He then glared back at the other as their eyes met, while his cute lover remained oblivious of the sudden dark aura them two boys emitted.


Oh hell no. Donghae could just think as he saw Kibum raised his eyebrows towards him, as if he’s challenging him.

~

“I still can’t believe this! This is so amazing, don’t you think so Hae?” Hyukjae asked while smiling brightly to the boy beside him.

Well after the story telling at Kibum’s house, the couple then decided to continue their way to the café after saying goodbye to Kibum. Hyukjae even tried to invite Kibum to join them so they can continue to talk, but the other refused saying that he has others thing to do and that they can just continue catching up at school. Donghae thanked the heavens that the other refused, because he actually thought that Kibum will surely tag along and steal all of Hyukjae’s attention. He was so busy thinking all these thoughts that he failed to hear that his boyfriend is talking to him.

“Hae?”

“…”

“Haeeee??”

“…”

“LEE DONGHAAAEEEEEE!!!!”

Donghae then was popped out from his trance when he heard his boyfriend shouting his name.


“Huh? What?” he said as he turned fully toward the other staring at Hyukjae who already had a pout adorning his beautiful face.


“Are you okay Hae? You seem to be so out of your normal self. Is everything okay?” Hyukjae asked getting quite concerned because he did realize that there’s seemed to be something bothering his boyfriend.


Knowing that he can’t really lie to Hyukjae, Donghae then replied, “Actually… I wanted to talk to you about something. It’s about Kibum.”


“Kibum? What about him?” the blonde replied raising his brows to the other.


“Well… I know that you’re really happy about knowing that you two have already met before. But I think he likes you Hyukkie. And not just as a friend, but as a 'I wanna date you' kind of like!” Donghae started. “And you know, I don’t really want to sound like a possessive boyfriend but even our other friends do think that that Kibum guy has a thing for you!”


Hyukjae could just pause for a short while looking at the boy in front of him, and then he let out a short chuckle.


“That’s ridiculous Hae! I mean okay I may be spending a lot of time with him, but that’s only because of the school stuff!”


“I know, I know! But baby I saw the way he looks at you, and I know I should have told you sooner but that guy even keeps on smirking, and glaring at me whenever I go to you as if I shouldn’t be with you. I swear to God!" Donghae then rebutted, trying to make the other understand his concern.


A frown then made its way to Hyukjae's face.
"Hae, are you sure? I mean Kibum has always been kind to me. Maybe you've just mistaken? Why would he even glare at you?" he could only question in return.


"I doubt that I have mistaken because it happened too many times for it to be a mistake. And also that's my point Hyukkie, he's only that super kind towards you." the brunette then started explaining. "And now with that story of how he knew you when you were a kid, it only strengthens my theory of how he's probably in love with you." Donghae added muttering the last words slowly. He could only frown then realizing how everything he's been suspecting could actually be the reality.


Hyukjae's frown just deepened. His lips then turned into a pout while letting his boyfriend's explanation sink into his thoughts. After a minute or so he then sighed.


"Ok ok I understand your concern Hae. But we can't just fully assume that Kibum likes me in that way. Besides maybe the reason why he's nicer to me is because he knew who I am beforehand. And with the glaring, maybe we should ask him ourselves just so we can make it clear?" the blonde explained, still pouting. He's still unsure of everything his boyfriend is saying but then again he also needs to consider his partner's feelings.


And so with Hyukjae's pout and puppy eyes he then pleaded for Donghae to remain calm and deal with this properly. He also tightened his arm that was anchoring around the brunette's arm. It didn't even take a minute and Donghae let out a sigh. He pinched the blonde's cheek with his free hand then.


"Aishh... ok then fine. But I still want you to be careful around him ok? Just in case."


"Ok then. I promise" Hyukjae replied with a small smile, heat starting to creep in his cheeks. Although he's still wary with Donghae's assumptions, he can't help but feel butterflies in his stomach with how much care and concern his boyfriend has for him.


Donghae then sighed again. "I'm sorry if I gave you a headache with all of this. But I figure that it's better I tell you first before I get all crazy with my own thoughts." He then smiled softly at Hyukjae.


Hyukjae could only shake his head lightly, the smile in his face starting to get bigger. "I understand Hae and I'm glad that you are telling me your thoughts. But if you really want me to make my mood better... I heard that there's a new strawberry pastry at the cafe." He then said suggestively at the other. The cafe could already be seen across the street as they continue to walk towards it.


Donghae then chuckled, glad that the other already successfully turned their mood into a happier tune. He playfully pinched the other's cheek again.


"Arasso arasso. Let this handsome boyfriend of yours treat YOU, the most adorable boy in the world, into every strawberry sweets you would like then." Donghae then replied sweetly.


Maybe Hyukjae is right after all. Maybe he's just thinking too much of things. After all, what's important is that he knows that whatever happen they will always be together just like how they promised each other. And right now that's all that matters.


With their hands finding their way to intertwine, Donghae then pushed and held the cafe's door open to let the other in first. Hyukjae then pulled him towards the pastry displays immediately, eyes already shining with all the varieties he's seeing. Donghae could only chuckle finding the blonde so cute. He can't help but plant a kiss on the other's cheek. Hyukjae then smiled and planted his lips onto his boyfriend's cheek in return.

~
 


AN: Can you believe that it has been 6 years(?) since I've last updated this? lol. Well with everything that's happening today I have decided to pick up my writing hobby again. I hope some of you find this update entertaining at the least :) Stay safe everyone!