every feeling, every word; i've imagined it all

Lightweight


Length: 2/3 + bonus chapter

Summary: Soojung falls in love with the perfect Kim Myungsoo, and learns that perfection does have its expiration date.

                                part two

Once, you must fall in love with someone you believe is perfect. You will learn that no one is perfect, and that you should never be treated as anything less than what you deserve.

Kim Myungsoo is the absolute definition of perfection, the whole package of what could be the ideal boyfriend. He’s charming (especially with that mysterious, breathtaking smirk of his that she loves); he’s smart (popular yet he’s different from the stereotyped teens in school, he actually studies); he’s athletic (and oh, has she mentioned how completely stunning his chiseled body is?); he’s just… perfect.

And Soojung can’t believe she has him all to herself.

She remembers how exactly it started, or perhaps, she didn’t but that day seems to be the only one that’s rational enough to support her perception. It’s Thursday morning, and the juniors are excited for their little trip in Busan. She recalls how she demanded to sit next to her best friend, Sehun, who refused because Sulli was there – so she ended up sitting with Suzy, another junior from her class.

She didn’t hate it though. Suzy was a fun girl, and Soojung was happy to know that they both shared common interests.

On their way to their first destination, Myungsoo surprised Soojung by sitting on the other side right next to her seat, and asked if he could borrow her cap. She didn’t refuse, of course, because Soojung was well-liked by everyone. She was, however, very astonished to have Myungsoo (they never, not even once, had a decent conversation that involved more than a series of ‘hi’ and ‘bye’) talk to her.

And at the end of the day, Soojung remembers Myungsoo asking for her number.

She tells Sehun about him that night when Sehun decided to stay for a sleepover – she didn’t even refuse. It’s normal, for her to act so casual with Sehun in her room, because it has happened before and nothing – she repeats, nothing – ever really happens between them. Though she hopes something did, but that’s before.

Myungsoo is all she ever thinks about nowadays.

He’s a user, Soojung, he comments, and his tone is lazy as he nonchalantly lies next to her on her bed, his wrapped around her tiny, delicate body. And don’t tell me that I don’t know him because I know guys like him. You’re just another girl to him.

She denies it – because that seems to be the standard thing to do as his girlfriend. She opens to say something, but she stops, and she thinks of how hypocrite Sehun was. I was happy for you and Sulli, Sehun, she protests – for the first time, she retaliates against him. You could, at least, be happy for me, too.

He’s too perfect, don’t you think? You could have gone for someone like Baekhyun.

Stop talking about Baek, she pauses, rolling her eyes at how ridiculous Sehun sounded – and Sulli isn’t perfect? You told me she was, Sehun, and I never speak of any contradictions I had in mind that day. You speak as if you know everything. You speak as if I’m a cruel person to reject the other, and accept the one I liked – You’re such a hypocrite.

And for the first time, Sehun doesn’t say anything witty or sarcastic to repute so she thinks she must have hit a nerve. Soojung turns her back on him, causing his arms to pull back instinctively. She feels his eyes burning a hole on the back of her head, perhaps, taken aback.

 

He asks Soojung to meet in front of the cinema, and she arrives a little early – maybe, too early – because she’s excited to see him after two weeks. Soojung buys popcorns and sodas, and she decides to treat him for today like a girlfriend should do. When she sees him approaching, wearing his favorite outfit of long-sleeved shirts and jeans, thirty minutes later after the supposed time to meet, a smile forms on her lips.

He looks good, as usual.

They decide to watch a family-oriented, comedic movie – Soojung wanted to watch the horror (because she could pretend to be scared and hold his hand or better, snuggle in the dark) but he refused, ‘Horror movies scare me, and I think they’re quite pathetic.’ And she wishes he would change his mind for her.

Sitting at the farthest right inside the movie theater seems a good place, and Soojung thinks he wanted to focus on the movie. Minutes later, the movie has gone jaded, and Myungsoo’s lips are busy with Soojung’s. His hand is on her thigh, and she doesn’t mind, only because she’s carried away by her emotions.

She could have stopped him.

Right after the movie, Soojung has to leave and he offers to walk her to the exit. Before they reach the part where she leaves and walks out of the mall happy, he tells her to check her phone once he’s gone to the opposite direction. She grins, because she doesn’t know what was coming.

Let’s break up, is what she read.

Her eyes turn hot and blurry, but she can’t cry in front of random strangers. No, it’s not the sympathy, but it’s because she knows Myungsoo could still be out there, watching her every move – if she decides to cry in public or walk away with head high. She walks away, desperate to be alone and dials a number.

She calls Baekhyun, and he comforts her – but nothing can make her feel happy right now. She’s broken. Twice. And it hurts so bad.

She searches his profile upon reaching home that day, and finds a picture of him with his arm around a girl’s shoulder. Her name is Jiyeon, and she’s all for religious. She’s pretty, and she has the most beautiful smile Soojung has ever laid her eyes on. He doesn’t tell her why, or even attempt to answer her questions.

And he’ll never know, that night she couldn’t sleep, knowing that it’s over between them.

pic © soostal.