these countless promises, what to do

Lightweight

 

Characters: Myungsoo/Krystal; Sehun/Krystal; Jongin/Krystal; [bonus] Baekhyun/Krystal

Song: Daydream - Super Junior

Length: 1/3 + bonus chapter

Summary: Soojung falls in love with her best friend, Sehun, and the friendship is ruined.

                                part one

Before you can grow up, you must fall in love three times. Once, you must fall in love with your best friend, ruining your friendship. This will teach you who your true friends are, and the fine line between friendship and more.

Soojung hesitates, but she reluctantly agrees to his notion just because she’s in love with him, and when you love a person (especially when he’s also your best friend), you don’t care about anything else. She sees how his face brightened up, and she wonders if she ever makes him feel in some way, because he makes her feel all sorts of ways.

The wind is cold yet soothing, and as it gently breezes through the outskirts of the hurried city of Seoul, the people subconsciously wrap their sweaters and jackets a little tighter than the usual. Winter is coming fast, and so soon; Soojung wishes it doesn’t because she dislikes cold weathers. It makes her feel sad.

And also, winter has always been the season of bad luck – for her, that is. She needs luck right now, or a miracle if possible, because she’s hopeless. She needs a little hope that these one-sided feelings won’t last forever, or that things will change for the good.

Sehun continues to tell good, unsophisticated jokes, but Soojung laughs flamboyantly because she loves him, and he means everything to her. Sehun sees through her though, and it’s all thanks to their seventeen years of friendship; he appreciates her enthusiasm, nevertheless.

When the night falls a little darker and the city is a little less quiet than earlier, silence also falls between them, and it’s comfortable. Soojung hears his even breathing, and out of the corner of her eye, she sees the rise and fall of his chest, with his hand on top. He looks incredulously stunning, even under the big shade of the moon, and his eyes, those precious brown eyes, sparkled in the night.

He moves, and so she does, scared that he catches her appreciating every little pieces of his beauty.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do with you,” is all he blurts out suddenly, and Soojung becomes restless. Her heart skips a beat, or two, or perhaps, more. Gone are the insecurities and the negative thoughts. He doesn’t look at her, but she knows he’s sincere because he’s serious.

She prefers to be silent, because if she starts to speak, things would come out more naturally and she’s scared – maybe it’s all happening too fast. She’s terrified to lose him, because apparently he’s a very important part of her life. A very important one.

 

Her name is Sulli, and she’s taller than her, perhaps, perfect. Her hair, a brighter hue, is brown and curly, glowing as it falls hanging on her shoulder despite the humid weather. Her eyes are vivid, and they’re pretty, and Soojung thinks if her eyes glow like hers, too. She wonders, deep inside, if she’s ever good enough for him.

Soojung has forgotten about time, or how seconds flew by so fast while her eyes fixated on the girl right in front of her. She thinks, she wonders, and she’s starting to feel insecure. She ponders about her looks (she hates how she looks plainly normal to Sehun when she’s more than that to everybody else), her brain (she has one but she doesn’t use it) and she questions her heart, if it’s still beating.

Because she’s dying; she’s dying from overthinking. She can’t stop it.

Then her mind drifts back to her main question: why is she here?

She looks around, left, right, sideways, and even to both Sehun and Sulli, who both looked completely engrossed with each other. Soojung bites her lip, and she counters the pain in her. She tells herself silently, hold it together, and repeats it until it’s stuck inside her head. Because truthfully, the image of Sehun and Sulli together is doing much more damage than it ought to be.

Soojung is helpless.

Then it hits her.

Of course, the only reason Sehun invited her to come is to meet Sulli, the girl he’s talked about for days. The only girl who renders him speechless with whatever she does – big or small. The only girl who brings out that smile, that painfully, gorgeous smile she loved. So much for thinking it could be her, that it could be the girl who loved him the same for seventeen years.

You’re the best, she pictures him saying that one Saturday night, him wallowing in his miseries after a stupid break up and her silently wishing she could love him the best. His head is on her shoulder, and he’s one over the eight – but she loves how his head fits right in the crook of her neck. What would I ever do without you?

She questions that, too.

Soojung starts to feel uneasy; she yearns to tell him of how she feels but is afraid of what would happen after. It’s too risky, considering that she would never want to lose her best friend, the only guy who’s put up with her unceasing querulous and misbehaviors. But she never intended to fall in love with him, too, and she could only flounder in misery… alone.

It hurts. A lot. Like really.

“Hey.” It comes out like a tiny shriek. is dry, her eyes are burning and her lips hurt from too much gnawing earlier. Nonetheless, she doesn’t want Sehun to see her cry, to hear her woes of how she regretted not telling him earlier.

“I-I need to go to the bathroom…” Sehun nods, and is unaware of that pained expression on her face. His eyes, his mind and his heart are all on Sulli, the girl Soojung could never compare herself with. Soojung overhears Sulli asking, ‘is she okay?’ but what would Sehun know? He’s too focused on Sulli to notice his own best friend crying her heart out.

With her hand on the doorknob, she pauses one last time, turns around and shoots the couple one, last look. Then she walks away, broken. Soojung has always been a fighter, always fighting for what she wants and easily getting it, too. But gone was the determination of winning her best friend’s heart. One look and that’s what it takes –

I’m happy with her, Soojung. I hope you are happy for me, too.

main image © taemin