Hellos and Goodbyes

Bless the Broken Road

Your mother made you and your brothers go home after school instead of visiting her. While you were watching a movie, there was a knock on the door, you and Minki answered it. It was the rest of SHINee, Beast, your friends, Gina, Aeyoung, and six other girls you never met before. "Unnies. Oppas." you hugged all of them as they entered and you bowed to the other girls. Jonghyun, Key, and Hana had just got back from visiting their parents' friend and Key's girlfriend. "I have something to how you, well, actually, someone." Key said as he walked to one of the girls. She was very pretty. She had long curly, brown hair and was about the same height as Jonghyun. "This is my girlfriend, Miyoung, and her sister, Youngmi." Youngmi looked like her sister but with straight, black hair and a little taller then Miyoung.

Kikwang then introduced the other girls. "Guys, these are my sisters, Minhee, Jieun aka IU, and Jihee but she likes to be called Reba." He gestured to three girls. Minhee was just a little shorter then Kikwang and had medium-length black curly hair, IU had long black hair that was put in a messy braid. She was a bit overweight and shy, she tried to hide behind Kikwang but he tried to get her to open up little but with no luck. Reba looked exactly like Minhee but with shorter, dark brown hair.

You looked at IU and when she saw you looking she tried to hide even more which made squeal, "You're so cute like a baby panda."  She looked at you and you smiled and she shyly smied back. "And this is my girlfriend, Mihee." She had short light brown hair with blond bangs that covers her left eye. While the other girls' outfits were somewhat girly, Mihee wore baggy camouflage pants and a tight black tank-top with a camouflage jacket with black boots. 

After everyone was introduced you all talked about anything that came to mind, and you found out that Minhee, Mihee, Miyoung and Youngmi are older then you, IU is the same age and Reba is younger then you. You also learned that Youngmi and Minhee are dating someone and IU likes someone. They stayed for about two weeks so they were able to meet your mom and dad. A week after they left, your mother went into labor. You and Minki were waiting in the waiting room, but Minho went up to the roof so that you and Minki won’t see him crying cause he knows what will happen to his mother while you and Minki don’t realize that you may gain a sister but you’ll lose a mother. His phone rang and he answered it.

“Come meet your baby sister, Minho.” Dongwook softly said over the phone. Minho stuck his phone back in his pocket and headed to his mother’s room. He wiped his tears and entered the room. The first thing he saw was his mother holding his baby sister, smiling at him.

“Come meet, Minyoung. Our Butterfly Princess.” Minho smiled.

“Why do you give us those nicknames, Mom?” Minho asked as he walked up to them.

“Because you’re my princes and princesses. And I had to name you differently so those were the nicknames I thought of. And they had to go with ours. Your father is my Bad Boy King and I’m…”

“My Angel Queen.” Your father said. Minho chuckled. Soyoung handed Minyoung to Minho. He smiled at his mother and sister. He sat down and gestured for you to come closer. You did and sat on his lap. “What to hold her?” You nodded and Minki taught you how to place your arms, like Minho’s. You did and Minho placed Minyoung in your arms.

“She is so cute. She looks like Mommy.”

“So do you.” Dongwook said.

“Promise me you’ll protect her and each other.” Your mother said weakly, you all nodded. Then, one of the nurses, Songmi, who helped take care of your mother, who was also one of your parents’ childhood friends and Yuri and Sarah’s mom, came in and said that Minyoung and Soyoung needed their rest. Everyone walked out, Minho and Dongwook were the last ones out. Minho turned around to face his mother.

“I promise to protect them with my life. No matter what happens I will make sure we stick together. Love you mom. Bye.” Minho said as a tear fell down his cheeks. Your father kissed your mother and left the room with Minho, before they reached the waiting room a doctor came by and stopped them.

“Oh. Hey, Minhyuk Hyung.” Your father greeted him. “What’s up?”

“Songmi told me to tell you that you should send the kids to our house for now. They shouldn’t be here when it happens. Yuri and Sarah would love to have them spend the night. And Songmi would love to have them over as well. If it’s okay with you, I’d bring them there and they can stay for as long as they like.”

“That would be great. Thanks, Hyung. And tell Songmi Noona thanks as well.” Your father said. Minhyuk nodded and the three of them headed to the waiting room. Songmi came up to Dongwook and whispered in his ear. “Okay, Minho get your siblings and the others and take them to Uncle Minhyuk’s and Aunt Songmi’s house and watch them.” Minho nodded and followed Minhyuk to the waiting room while Dongwook followed Songmi to your mother’s room.

His heart stopped when he saw your mother on the bed, breathing heavily. Soyoung weakly lifted up her hand when Dongwook got beside her. He sat down on the chair beside the bed and held her hand with one of his as he her cheek with the other.

“I wish I could stay and watch our children grow up and have a family of their own and be happy. Promise me you’ll make sure that whatever makes them happy that you’ll support them. I have a feeling that their lives will be hard next year. Please promise you will protect them and anything or anyone that makes them happy.”

“You don’t have to ask me but I promise that with every ounce of my being I will protect them as much as I can and more. I love you and our kids. I will do everything in my power to protect them.”

“I will always be watching over and protecting you guys. I Love you.”

“I love you, too.” Tears fell down Dongwook’s eyes as he looked at the love of his life. The one he wanted to grow old and watch their grandchildren play in their back yard with. The girl he never imagined he could ever live without. But here she is on her death bed so weak she can’t tell him how much he meant to her and everything she wished she could tell him. But he knows how she feels about him, he felt the same about her. He felt Soyoung weakly squeeze his hand, he looked at her and saw what she wanted so he leaned down and kissed her with every single emotion he felt into that kiss. Fear, worry, anger, pain, but most importantly and the strongest emotions, LOVE and PASSION. Soyoung did the same, but she wasn’t afraid of death. She was afraid of what she was leaving behind and how her leaving would affect the ones she loves and who loves her, especially her family. Dongwook pulled back and looked at Soyoung. She smiled at him.

“Sing for me?” Dongwook nodded and started to sing her favorite song.

“Even if I wake up from my sleep.

It feels like I’m dreaming,

My finger is still cut with your fragrance

Your soft lips, that night,

Because we were so shy we didn’t say anything.

I’ve felt my heart

For the first time so full of this fluttering,

I’m your man.

Over every night and over every day

Stay by my side only.

Will you become my girlfriend

To fill the empty left side of my heart?

Look carefully, you’re inside my eyes.

I’m only a heartbeat away

Even the boring days

I just laugh and get over them

And for just the days we promised to meet,

I wait every day.

As I’m loving you,

I must be becoming more like you.

This side of me that

I’ve never seen is awkward.

This fluttering that I’ve felt

For the first time so full in my heart

So that I can feel it.

Over every night and over every day

Stay by my side only.

Will you become my girlfriend?

To fill the empty left side of my heart?

Look carefully, you’re inside my eyes.

I’m only a heartbeat away

Silently close your eyes and turn around.

The wind carries these words (my voice)

I love you so much, my heart might explode..

I’m the only your heartbeat

Every night, everyday

The world becomes more beautiful.

The moment I saw you,

You were the biggest present

The heavens have sent me.

You’re my only one.

Over every night and over every day

Stay by my side only.

Will you become my girlfriend

To fill the empty left side of my heart?

Look carefully, you’re inside my eyes.

I’m only one

I’m here to love you

I’m only one heartbeat away”

“I love you, Jagiya.” Dongwook said.

“I love you, too, Yeobo.” Dongwook kissed her forehead, her nose, both her cheeks, and lastly he pecked her lips. Dongwook pulled back and Soyoung smile and the monitor started beeping faster. Minhyuk rushed in along with other doctors and nurses. Songmi tried to push Dongwook out of the room but Dongwook didn’t want to leave. Not long after one of the doctors, another childhood friend, came to him. Well, all the doctors and nurses that were taking care of Soyoung were all childhood friends.

“Dongwook,you need to leave.” He said with authority since Dongwook knew his Hyung meant business when he spoke with authority. Dongwook sighed and left the room. He leaned against the wall praying to every god in every religion in every culture that Soyoung would make it through though he already knew that her time on earth and with him had ran out and she was leaving him to take care of the kids by himself. His prayers ceased when he heard the most horrifying sound he had ever heard. The long beep coming from the heart monitor, telling him that the most precious woman in his life had just passed. He slid down the wall, laid his head in his hands and started silently crying. The doctors and nurses came out and looked at Dongwook with sorrow filled eyes.

They knew he heard the machines. The only female doctor came up to him and wrapped her arms round his shoulders and hugged him tightly. “I’m so sorry, Dongie. We tried our best to keep her here.”

“I know, Minji Noona. You were like a big sister to her. You always protected her when I couldn’t but this, none of us could’ve protected her from it.” He cried harder. Minji started to cry harder as well. The rest of the group knew how Minji and dongwook were feeling.

Flashback:

When they were in 9thgrade, Minji was a new student from Italy. She was picked on because she was a nerd. A few weeks after she started to go to the same school as Soyoung and Dongwook, a group of 3 girls and four boys had trapped her in the hallway at lunch and started insulting and hitting her. Soyoung was coming from the bathroom and heard someone cry for help, and others laughing, and someone saying ‘whine all you want no one will hear you’.

She ran towards the noise and yelled at them to stop, which they didn’t so she got in between them and covered Minji which only made them beat her instead. Minji stayed frozen, she was used to being beaten but no one ever threw themselves in between her and the bullies and take the hits instead. The last thing Soyoung heard was someone yelling her name and the bullies ran away. And as everything went black she heard two voices yell her name in fright.

She woke up to find herself in the clinic and Minji was in the bed next to her and Dongwook asleep with his head next to hers. She moved the hair out of his face which woke him up. He quickly hugged her and kissed her forehead and hands which were the only parts of her body that did not have bruises and cuts on them. She smile and held his face so he’d stop. “I’m fine. How’s Minji?”

“I’m fine. Thank you for protecting me but you didn’t have to.” Minji said as she sat up from the bed.

“Yes, I did. They’re the same bullies that used to bully me in middle school.”

“They were the ones that did this?!” Dongwook exclaimed. “I’m going to kill them. They shouldn’t even be near you.The last time they were near you, they almost killed you two years ago. If I was a second later, you’d be dead.”

“When they heard you yell my name they ran away this time.” She laughed.

“Why’d they run?” Minji asked.

“Because two years ago, soyoung was in your situation. When i wasn't there, shewould always get bullied. one day i had something to do so i went to the school to pick soyoung up afterwards. i waitedat the front gates when everyone had left and she still adn't come out i went in to look for her. I had a scream so i went to check it out and i found soyoung lying on the ground covered in blood. So i rushed her to the hospital. after I made sure she was ok, I went to go look for them with my sister-in-law. She grew up in the bad part of Seoul and she was one of those rare ‘protector of the helpless’ type of gangster. Anyway, back then there were 14 boys and 5 girls. I knew where they hung out so we went there and I warned them to leave her alone. They laughed and threatened to hurt her more. Which over did it and I started to punch them. The girls knew BoA, my sister-in-law. And the girls were scared less and ran away so BoA just sat down and texted my brother who was with Soyoung and their daughter, Gina, who was 3.

“Just so you know the fight was 14 against 1. And I beat the crap out of them. All of them ended up in the hospital and the police arrested them because the doctors told them Soyoung almost died because of her injuries and so they were taken to Juvenile prison. They also found the girls and locked them up. Ten of the boys and two of the girls got released early do to either moving and/or proven they were forced to do those things. The ones that stayed became our friends. And now there are only four boys and three girls left. I sent 14 boys to the hospital just imagine what I can do to just 4. Well, anyways, since I beat the crap out of them when there was 14 and there is only four they are scared and would not mess with me. Well they messed with my girl so now they are dead.”

“Don’t do anything to them. Tell the police that they are back and had a new victim and I came and protected her which caused them to beat me up as well. Don’t do anything rash. Please?” Dongwook sighed but agreed.

“Anything to make you happy.” He then turned to Minji. “If you ever have any problems with guys like them come find me and I will teach them a lesson unless they’re girls then go get Songmi Noona.” Minji nodded.

“Thanks again, uh…?”

“Oh, I forgot. I’m Soyoung. I’m a freshman along with my boyfriend, Dongwook.”

“Who everyone is scared to mess with after I beat up the best gang in Seoul all by myself when I was 12. Anyways I don’t like fighting I only fight to protect those I care about or who Soyoung cares about.” Dongwook added proudly, earning a slap on the arm by Soyoung.

“I’m Choi Minji. I’m a junior and I’m from Italy.”

“So you know Italian.” Minji nodded. “Ciao, Como es ta.”

“Bene. E tu?”

“Cozi-cozi.” They shook hands and from then on they protected each other and no one messed with Minji anymore now that she was friends with Soyoung which meant Dongwook had her back.

End of Flashback.

Jonghyun came and placed his arm around Minji and Dongwook. “I’m sorry I wasn’t here sooner, Bro. I know how hard it is to lose someone you dearly love but you need to be strong now. For your kids. You can’t let them see you like this. One, they’ll be worried about you. Two, they will be breaking down and you need to stay strong. You’re all they have left other than your parents, us, and our kids. But they need you the most right now.”

“Your right, Hyung. Thanks. I have to go.” He said.

“Where are you going?” Dongwoo asked.

“To my kids. I need to tell them about their mother, though I don’t know what to say to Minah.” With that he left the hospital and crossed the street to Minhyuk’s. He entered the house and saw all the kids in the living room watching TV. You turned around when you heard the door shut.

“Daddy!” You ran up to him. He hugged you

“Princess, I need to tell you something.”

“If it’s about mommy, don’t worry. Minho Oppa told me, mommy’s an angel and had to go somewhere for a very long time and that she loves us and she’ll miss us. She’s in a better place and watching us making sure we’re happy. Mommy’s with us all the time. So I can’t be sad or else mommy will be sad. I don’t want mommy sad.” Dongwook smiled at you.

“Yes, Umma is an angel. You know since mommy was needed somewhere else, I’m going to need help with Minyoung. You think you and your oppas can help me?”

“Of course, I’ll help. I’ll sing her mommy’s song at night and tell her stories about Umma.”

“You already know our answer, dad.” Dongwook smiled and hugged his kids. Though he wanted to break down and cry, he had to be strong for you, your oppas, and Minyoung. It was hard for the four of you but you all tried your best to keep going.  Minho cooked, made sure you guys went to school, and did everything he could.  Your grandparents babysat when Dongwook had work or he’d bring her with him. Minki helped Minho as much as he could. You would sing your mother’s lullaby to Minyoung every night and you’d bathe her and dress her every day as you tell her different stories about your mom and you’d show her pictures. Six months after your mom passed, you got used your new routine and everything.

A week before your birthday, your father had to work late with your grandparents. You felt uneasy so you stayed in bed all day. Good thing it was summer. Minki entered your room with a bowl of hot soup and spice tea, your favorite. You loved how each sip had a different dominant taste and smell. Minki placed the tray on your lap.

“Here’s your dinner. How you feeling?” he asked feeling your forehead.

“I feel better.” You said before you started eating.

“Well, you don’t have a fever anymore. That’s good. What to come watch a movie with us downstairs after lunch?”

“Sure. When will Dad be home?”

“He won’t be home until after you go to sleep. So you won’t see him ‘til tomorrow morning. Finish up your soup and tea and come downstairs.” You nodded and did as you were told. When you were done, you and Minki went down to the living room. You guys were watching ‘How to Train a Dragon’ when the phone rang. Minho got up and answered it.

“Yobesayo?...Speaking...WHAT?!...Okay. Um, can you come pick me up?...Okay. Bye.” He hung up the phone and turned to Minki. “Minki, I need you to watch the girls. There was an emergency at Ms. Lee’s and she needs my help and she’s coming to get me. I’ll be gone for a while. After the movie is over, go to bed. Okay?” Minho said as he grabbed his wallet, jacket and shoe’s. You and Minki nodded just as there was a knock on the door. “Coming!” Minho kissed your and Minyoung’s foreheads and patted Minki’s head. “Be good. And be asleep by the time I come home.” He opened the door revealing a sweet but strict looking woman in her mid-forties.

Minho then left after you two greeted Ms. Lee. (She was Yuri’s and Sarah’s aunt and Minho takes care of her because she has some health problems and her sister and brother-in-law was busy with work and the girls they couldn’t take care of her so they had Minho and someone else take care of her. She pays him, though he refuses all the time, she forces him to keep the money. So he decided to save all the money he earned from helping his neighbors with chores and taking care of them).

After the movie ended, you yawned and looked at the time. You picked up Minyoung and went to your father’s room and laid her in her crib and started singing your mother’s lullaby to her. When you finished, you fixed the blanket over her and kissed her forehead, grabbed the baby monitor since your dad wasn’t home yet and left the room. You turned the monitor on and placed it on your nightstand and went to bed after getting ready. A few hours later, Minho came home and met Minki in the living room.

“You’re supposed to be asleep.” Minho tiredly scolded.

“Hyung, what’s wrong? What happened to dad?”

“Nothing happened to dad. I needed to help Ms. Lee with an emergency.”

“Tell me the truth. Before you left you looked worried. And now you look worried, broken, and frustrated.” Minho sighed.

“Do not tell Minah what I’m going to tell you until I tell her myself, alright? I don’t want her worrying and losing sleep.” Minki nodded. Minho took a deep breath. “Dad was in a car accident with Grandma and Grandpa. Grandpa died on impact, Grandma is seriously injured the doctors don’t think she’ll survive the rest of the night, and Dad is in a critical condition. He may die in less than a week or so but there is a slight chance that he may survive. I will need you to watch the girls, while I’m at the hospital for a few days.” The phone rings right then.

“Hello?…Yes. This is Choi Minho…Oh, god…alright. I’ll be there early tomorrow. Bye.” He hangs up and sighs again. “Grandma just passed. Now they’re just waiting for any signs of Dad waking, but nothing’s changed so far. And it’s a week before Minah’s birthday.” Minho plops himself on the couch and puts his face in his hands. Minki sat beside his brother.

“Hyung, no matter what, whether Dad survives or not. We have each other. We have to stick together and protect each other. We promised Mom, we’d do our best and be the best Oppas any girl could wish for.”

“Hey, shouldn’t it be the other way around, you, the frustrated one and me, the comforting one? But you’re right, Minki-ah. We do have each other and we need to stay strong for the girls.” Minho said. “We need to rest. I’ll be leaving before you guys wake up. Uncle Jonghyun is picking me up in the morning. When Minah asks where Dad and I are, tell her Dad needed to go in early and I went with him since I am the heir to the company.” Minki nodded and headed to his room.

The next morning, Minho was gone before you woke up. You went to your Dad’s room to see Minyoung awake and playing with her toys waiting for someone to get her. You picked her up and grabbed her favorite toy. It was the first gift your mother received from your father and it has been passed down from your mother, Minho, Minki, you, and now Minyoung. You went downstairs with her to see Minki trying to make breakfast. You giggled, placed Minyoung in her high chair, and quickly went to help him. Minki laughs at himself and gladly accepts your help.

“Where are Oppa and Appa?” You asked as you mixed the fruits for the fruit salad. Minki froze but quickly recovered as you turned to look at him.

“Dad had to go to work and Hyung went with him since he needs to learn about the company and Uncle Jonghyun is helping.” You nodded as you placed the slices of bread in the toaster, and went back to the fruits. Minki sighed and finished the eggs and sausages. When you were done, you placed the two bowls of fruit salad on the table and grabbed two glasses and filled them with milk then placed them by the bowls as Minki places the plates of eggs, sausages, and toast on the table. Minho had made oatmeal for Minyoung before he left. Minki took it out of the microwave and felt the temperature. When he felt that it was cool enough, he fed Minyoung before he ate. When you were done eating, you traded with Minki and finished feeding Minyoung.

The day went on as you spent time with SHINee and your friends. You were sad that you didn’t get to see your dad and Minho before they left. Before everyone went home, Minho came back. He lyjni8gy8ivghufckdekkikooked defeated and broken. “Oppa!” You ran and hugged him. “Where’s Appa?” When you asked that he fell on his knees and hugged you. Everyone but you realized what happened.

“Minah-ah, remember when mom asked us to protect each other?” You nodded. “Well, now we have to stick together more than ever. Promise me, you will stay cheerful and happy like you are now.”

“I Promise. Oppa, what’s wrong?”

“Um, Appa can’t celebrate your birthday with us anymore. Neither can Grandma and Grandpa.”

“Why?” you said feeling scared to know the answer. Minho knows this and he tries to hold his tears in. He doesn’t want you to see him cry.

“They’re with Umma now. And they want you to be happy like Mom, but they also said that it’s alright to cry. Mom and Dad don’t want you bottling up your feelings. They want you to let them out but don’t let them control you.” Minho looks at you with teary eyes and sees that you are teary eyed as well. “Minah, go ahead and cry. Just let it out, princess.” With that you start crying your eyes out. He hugs you tightly as tears escapes his eyes as well. Everyone is crying and they quickly hug you and your siblings. Jonghyun was watching you guys from the door way.

*Dongwook-ah, why did you have to leave? Now they have no parents to watch them and they’re heartbroken. Umma, Appa, Dongwook, and Soyoung I hope you’re all together and happy in heaven. I hope you find BoA soon. I will help Minho-ah with the company until he is old enough to take control. I know he is ready to take control right now but he is still too young. I will take care of them as if they were my own. I miss you, BoA. It’s been ten years since you passed. I didn’t want to remarry but Gina needed a mother and she was good at first. God, I wish you were still here. Gina doesn’t show it but I know she misses you, too. I love you more than anything. Bye, guys.” Jonghyun went to you guys after everyone broke away from the hug.

“Gina will be staying here to help with Minyoung and until the reading of your father’s and grandparents’ wills. She will be here shortly. I have to go and get everything sorted at the hospital and funeral home.” He kissed your and Minyoung’s foreheads and hugged all of you then left. Gina arrived not long after with Beast and Aeyoung. When the others calmed down they decided to leave and give you guys some space.

“Goodnight and drive safe guys.” You said as you waved bye to them. The next few days the house was quiet and it felt empty. Within six months, you had lost both parents and grandparents. You all went to the funeral of course. You couldn’t go up to see them in the caskets ‘cause you knew you’d be a wreck and you didn’t want to cry anymore. You wanted to be strong because you didn’t want everyone to worry about you.

In the wills, your grandparents gave everything to their sons, grandchildren, and their step-grandchild, Aeyoung,but nothing went to Eunhee. Everything in your parents’ possession went to you guys. You guys would get enough monthly allowance from your parents’ accounts to live off of till Minho turns 18 then everything is turned over to you guys. And Jonghyun would take temporary control of the company till Minho turns 18 as well.