When Everything Starts Going Wrong

Bless the Broken Road

 

The next day, your father took you to buy the stuff you needed to build your doll house. After you got everything you headed back home. Your father put all the stuff in the garage and got everything ready while you went inside. Your mother was cooking breakfast while your brothers were still asleep. You hugged your mother when you came to the kitchen. She hugged you back. “How did everything go? Did you get everything?”

“Daddy said that we got everything to build the house and later we’ll get the stuff that belongs in the house. To make it feel like they’re really moving into the house. Daddy is really smart.”

“Yes, he is. The smartest in the world.”

“And your mother is the sweetest. Let’s go scare your brothers.” Your father said sneakily. You giggled and nodded. And the two of you ran up the stairs. Your mother shook her head and laughed when she heard a scream.

“Ahhhh. Oh my god. Holy…Minah. You scared the day lights out of me.” He yelled. You laughed.

“Minki’s awake.” Soyoung laughed then went up the stairs and watched you three walk to Minho’s room. He was a heavy sleeper so Minki’s yelling didn’t wake him up. She heard you cutely giggle as your father shushed you and she went to the door to see your father pick you up and Minki pull the blankets off Minho. Your father then threw you on top of Minho. You landed on his back and he groaned. You smiled and went to tickle him. Minho turned around and started tickling you instead. You laughed as your father and Minki started tickling you as well. Your mother was busy laughing that she didn’t notice your father getting up from the bed and coming to her until he was right next to her. She stopped laughing and sent him a look. “Don’t you dare think about it, Dongwook.” Your mother warned him as she held out her hand to block him. Your father smiled.

“Too late.” He then started tickling her. The boys stopped tickling you after a while. You wiped the tears that fell down your cheeks. Your father stops and kisses your mother. You giggled as Minho and Minki groan.

“Not in front of your kids.” Minho groaned.

“Oh shush. They kiss because they still love each other. So leave mommy and daddy alone, Oppa.” You smacked his arm and he pouted. Your parents laughed and the five of you headed downstairs to eat. After breakfast you started building your dollhouse. The next month, you all worked on the house or played outside. You were having the time of your life. You wished nothing would change and that you all would stay together. But that all changed two months before Minyoung was born. You finally found out what gender your new sibling was going to be. You were going to have a sister. One day, your mother turned to you three and said something that totally confused you but your brothers knew what she meant. “Promise me no matter what you will protect each other. That you four will stick together and never let anything get in between you guys.”

“We promise.” You three said. Soyoung smiled and went in her room while you went to the kitchen where your father was making some beef stew for all of you. He set four bowls on the table and took one to his bedroom for your mother. That was the routine now. Your mother would stay in her room all day and you would come home from school and crawl in the bed beside her and cuddle. Your mother always thanked you for doing that. “I just want you to know that we are always here for you, mommy. Get better soon.” You said as you hugged her tighter. The two of you fell asleep hugging each other. Dongwook entered and stopped. He smiled at the scene, and fixed the blanket on you two and quietly walked out the room. He walked to Minho.

“We’ll show them later. They’re sleeping, right now. Believe me your mother needs the rest. Hey where’s Minki?”

“Oh, he went to get something. What’s wrong with mom?”

“I don’t know but when I do I’ll tell you. I promise. Just don’t tell the others, Okay?” Minho nodded. Minki entered the living room just then.

“Where are mom and Minah?”

“They’re sleeping right now. Your mother and sister needed it.” After about three hours your father checks up on you and your mother. When he opens the door, he sees that you’re awake. You looked towards the door and put your finger to your lips. Soyoung stirred and woke up. She looked at the door and smiled. “Come on, the boys and I have something to show you girls.” You three of you went downstairs into the living room. You smiled when you saw you were in the living room. Gina, Aeyoung, Gina’s boyfriend and his friends.’ Gina and Doojoon have been dating for 2 ½ years now since Gina was 17 and Doojoon was 15. Doojoon was a Freshmen and Gina was a Junior when they met. Then, when Doojoon went into his sophomore year (second year in high school I don’t know how the schools in Korea are but where I have been, and I have been to several different places, elementary is Sure-Start, Pre-School, and K-5, middle is 6-8, and High School is 9-12) he drew up all his courage and asked Gina out.’ “Oppas! Unnies!” You ran up to them and hugged them. Your mother smiled and joined you guys.

“How have you guys been?” your mother asked.

“We’ve been good. We’re really sorry we didn’t come to your birthdays and Aunt’s baby shower. We did bring the gifts though.” The boys handed you all your presents. You all opened all six of the gifts but your mom opened twelve boxes because half was for her birthday and the other half was for the baby shower. You all thanked them and you guys hung out for the rest of the day. The next day, you were feeling down. Your friends came up to you.

“Hey, Minah. What’s wrong?” Nichole asked as you headed to the lunch line.

“Nothing. I just feel uneasy today. Like something is going to happen today.” You said as you got your lunch. You met up with your oppas and unnies. You loved this school. The elementary, middle, and high school were connected together so you could see your oppas and unnies who weren’t in elementary school anymore.

“It’s probably just nothing.” Brianna said.

“Yeah. You’re probably just tired.” Raven said. Everyone looked at you confused and worried. Minho and Minki looked at each other got up and sat on both sides of you and wrapped their arms around you.

“Mom will be fine. If something happens dad will be there to help her with anything she needs. So there’s nothing to worry about. Mom and Minyoung are in good hands. So don’t worry.” With that you smiled and nodded. The others smiled and started talking about other stuff to keep your mind off of your mom and sister. Two hours later the final bell rang and everyone left school. You met up with yours, Minho’s, and Minho’s like always. But unlike usual Minho was waiting outside your classroom.

“Oppa? What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be with Yuri Unnie today?” you asked as you walked to Minki’s classroom. The teacher always dismissed the class late.

“I was but dad called and said that he’s picking us up because we need to go somewhere.” You saw Minki walk out of the room.

“Monkey Oppa!” You yelled. Minki turned and saw you two. Only your family and friends call him that. When someone else called him that, he told the whole school only family and close friends could call him Monkey. Everyone listened since he was a Kingka along with Minho and SHINee. You could be called a Queenka but you didn’t care you never really cared about who was Queenka or Kingka just as long as they weren’t mean. “What about mommy?” Minki ran to you guys.

“She’s with Grandma and Grandpa.” Minho then explained the whole thing again. “Hang on. I’ll be right back.” Minho then ran to Yuri who was with the others and pulled her away to talk. You didn’t know what he was saying. You saw Yuri look behind Minho and looked at you and Minki with a sad expression but she quickly smiled and nodded. They talked a little more and then Minho kissed Yuri’s nose and she kissed his cheek. Minho then walked back to you guys and about a minute later your dad came and you guys got in the car.

“Appa, where are we going?” you asked once you got in.

“To the hospital. “

“Why?”

“Your mother was having some pain in her stomach and we went to see what was wrong.”

“What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know. Your mother told me to pick you guys up and bring you there. I left before the doctor came with the results. So I don’t know what’s wrong. But I’m sure it’s nothing.”

“I knew something was going to happen but everyone said it was probably nothing but I know something’s wrong with mommy but no one will tell me. WHY?” You whined.

“Because we don’t want you to worry that’s why we keep some things from you. It’s to protect you in a way.” Minki said softly.

“But I want to help mommy any way I can.”

“Princess, you are helping her. You’re being there for her when she needs it. You run to our room and hug your mother. You let her know that you’re there for her. That may seem like it not much but believe me, that, helps out a lot more than any doctor could. You kids are helping her just by letting her know you love her and will be there for each other.” Your father parked the car and all four of you got out and walked to your mother’s room. Dongwook knocked on the door and your grandpa answered it and put his finger to his lips.

“Shh. She’s sleeping. The doctors said that when she’s asleep you let her sleep. The more she sleeps the healthier she is but, make sure she gets the right amount of nutrients she needs.” You guys nodded and entered. You walked up to your mother and held her hand. A tear escaped your eye as you saw your mother vulnerable. You had never seen your mother in a hospital before, hell, you never saw her sick before. And now she’s lying on a hospital bed. Your tummy growled a little.

“I told you, you should have eaten more.” Minki whispered.

“Well, sorry for not feeling hungry.” You replied. Your grandma and grandpa took your hands and led you out to go eat and Minki followed. Minho looked at your father.

“Now what aren’t you telling me. I know your keeping something from us. You promised you’d tell me.” He whispered so quietly that Dongwook had to strain to hear it.

“Because I promised not tell anyone until she wakes up.”

“You can tell him now, honey.”

“Did we wake you?”

“No I woke up when Minho was whispering to you. Don’t worry it didn’t wake me. Minyoung did. She’s hungry.”

“Oh here.” Your father grabbed a bowl of soup that the nurse left not long ago. He feed her despite her protests. After she ate a little she turned to Minho.

“My little Frog Prince.”

“Umma.” Minho groaned, but smiled at the nickname he had since the day he was born.

“I need to tell you something.” Minho knew it wasn’t good news but he nodded and got closer. “After Minah was born my body became weak and five years ago, the doctors said that I shouldn’t have any more kids and if I did I wouldn’t survive the delivery for long. I want more  kids but I wanted to be around for my grandkids then when I passed out that day you were sick five years ago the doctors said I only had five to seven years left and I never wanted to worry you guys. As the years went by I wanted another child. And when I found out I was pregnant again the doctors kept reminding me that I wont survive the delivery. I didn’t care if it cost me my life, I wanted my child. I wanted Minyoung. Even if I didn’t want her I would not have killed her. Did you know that the fetus’ heart starts beating after six weeks? I am not letting something that has a beating heart to be torn apart and taken out of me. I will die before I let that happen to my kids. Do me a favor and please make sure your sister does not grow up thinking Minyoung killed me. If anyone killed me it would be myself. I knew the consequences and I still wanted her baby sister.” Your mother said.

“I will.” Minho said just as you entered the room.

“Will what?” You asked. Minho looked at his parents and smirked. You backed up as he approached you.

“Tickle you!” He exclaimed as he lunged for you. You squealed and tried to get away from him but Minki came up behind you and grabbed your arms as Minho took hold of your legs and your brothers carried you to your parents and they tickled you. Your grandparents smiled at the loving family in front of them.