Chapter 1

The last dream

 

“I’m sorry.” Those two words triggered something inside her, and she desperately got down on her knees. “Please, save her doctor! Let her live longer, please! She can’t die that young!” She grabbed onto his leg as if her life depended on it, well, someone else’s life depended on it. Crying uncontrollably, she shook his leg hard, hoping he would be convinced. She felt herself being lifted up by the doctor, who then settled her down in a chair. “As a doctor, of course I’ll try my best. I can’t promise you anything.” He looked towards her apologetically, and patted her shoulder before leaving her sitting alone in the quiet hallway of the hospital, where only her sobs can be heard.

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Miyeon shifted around on her bed, disturbed. Her eyelids slowly fluttered open, taking in her surroundings. *Hospital.* that was the first thing that came into her mind. She looked towards her right, and noticed her mum glancing at her with a sweet little smile. Miyeon returned her smile and tried to get up with the support of her arms. “Umma, when can I get discharge? I miss Dubu so much!” She gave a pout and whined. Her mother chuckled and patted her head. “I’ll bring Dubu over some other time; meanwhile, you should rest and take care of yourself.” “Umma, what’s wrong with me?” She asked curiously. Not knowing how to respond to Miyeon’s sudden question, nervousness surged through her as she gave a shrug. “The doctor said it was just some really contagious flu, so you can’t be discharged too soon,” “I’ll be back soon.” She calmly headed towards the door, opening and then leaning onto it once she was outside. When she knew it was safe, she started shedding tears of mixed emotions.

Meanwhile, Miyeon gazed over at the door, puzzled. She sighed and picked up the newspaper lying on the bedside table. Flipping through it out of boredom, something caught her attention from the corner of her eyes. She straightened the newspaper to get a clearer view, and gasped loudly when she saw the content. Printed in colours, was a sentence that read “Rookie group NU’EST visiting for a fan meet.” Excitedly, Miyeon quickly examined the information written below. She was giggling to herself joyfully when her mother entered with a bag of food in her hands. Miyeon could no longer take it and she started spazzing to her clueless mum. “Umma! Umma yah! NU’EST is coming for a fan meet! You will let me go, right? Righttttt?!” She emphasized ecstatically.

Upon hearing that, a frown appeared on her face. She knew how much her beloved Miyeon loves NU’EST. Sometimes, she even wondered if she is the craziest fan girl they have. However, this had to come at the wrong time. She is currently working hard to earn money for Miyeon’s medical treatment, and although it was possible to spend that little money to make her daughter happy, it would mean that she has to slowly save it up again. To her, it wasn’t a problem to work hard and save the money. In fact, she was willing to suffer any hardships for Miyeon. As if possible, she had even gone to pray to the Gods to transfer Miyeon’s illness to her and turn Miyeon as healthy as she was in the past. She was willing to save up as much as her medical treatment needed, even if that meant starving herself. The problem is, there was no time. She is worried that by the time the money had been all saved up and ready to be used, Miyeon would be long gone by then.

It was an inner conflict. She didn’t know what to do. Should she continue saving and spend the money on Miyeon’s medical treatment? Or should she just allow Miyeon to go to NU’EST’s fan meet? “Umma jebal~ I really really really want to see them! Even if the world were to end tomorrow, I would rather use my last day to visit them than do something more meaningful! This is how important they are! Please?” Miyeon pleaded with her hands clasped together and she gave off a pout. She knew her mum couldn’t resist her aegyos. “Why? Why don’t you try to stop the world from ending instead?” Miyeon was caught off guard by the abrupt question, but then slowly explained with a serious look on her face. “Stop the world from ending? I can’t, umma. It’s fate. No one can control it. Why would I stupidly waste my last, precious day trying to do something impossible to accomplish? Why not I just make myself the happiest person alive before I die?”

That’s right. This was it. She finally got her answer after a long battle. Even if she were to spend the money on Miyeon’s medical treatment, it probably would not even improve her condition, but instead make her suffer from the painful injections and therapy. The doctor had also stated that the treatment’s success rate was only around 15% or lesser. It was fate, and Miyeon was fated to pass away at a young age. Forcing Miyeon to go through the medical treatment will only let her suffer for something impossible, which is staying alive. She couldn’t control fate, so why not make her feel like the happiest person alive for her remaining days? It was hard, of course it will be. Which mum in the world would give up that little hope of having their daughter stay alive? It was like giving up on your own daughter, accepting the fact that she will die, and still completely fine with it by not doing anything to improve the condition, but she didn’t really have a choice. It was either she allow Miyeon to suffer for something impossible, or to make her remaining days a bliss. If she were going to die either way, isn’t it the obvious thing to let her die happy?

“Arraso... I’ll get a ticket for y-you...” She whispered to Miyeon, tears lightly twinkling in her eyes. Before she can leave, Miyeon grabbed onto her wrist. “Gomawo, umma. Saranghae.” She released her arm and watched her leave, her fragile and exhausted-looking figure walking away slowly.

*This might probably be her last dream. I must keep her cheerful.*