Reluctance

Just be Friends

“Hyung,” his voice is soft, nearly inaudible even in the silence of the desolate dorm, “when are you leaving?”

“Tomorrow morning, you know that.” he replies into his pillow, refusing to look at him. It’s late and his roommate is already fast asleep. The younger shouldn’t even be here right now. He should be back in his own dorm with his fellow EXO-K members to prepare for their own debut the following day.

“I know… I was hoping you were lying.” He flinches when he hears the blatant despair in his faltering voice.

“I wish I was.”

Can’t they have one more day together? A mere twenty-four hours more to spend in each other’s company? Is that too much to ask? Of course it is. EXO-M did their time here. Their trainee days are over and they need to debut. China is their home stage. It’s why they’re even a group, twice the profit for half the work. They should both stop being ridiculous and make the most of their last few hours together (seeing as the maknae was adamant in staying, the threat of their manager catching him unable to deter him).

It’s mockingly easier said than done.

“Hyung,” the edge of the bed dips under his weight where he sits, “I don’t want you to go…”

He keeps his back to him, clutching his blankets to his chest with his jaw clenched. There’s no way he can turn around, he doesn’t think he can bear looking at the sadness so clear in the young boy’s voice drawn even clearer on his face. That’s not how he wants to remember him. He doesn’t care if this won’t be the last time they see each other again, he wants to keep that wonderful smile in his mind when he’s off promoting in China. He can’t bear it otherwise.

“Hyung…” He feels him lay down behind him, the heat of his body emitting even through his blankets. He stiffens when an arm grabs his waist and his head nuzzles into the back of his neck, hair lightly brushing against his skin. He’s unsure how to respond. First off, he doesn’t like having people on his bed and wants nothing more than to kick him off. Second, he’s certain if they stay like this he’s never going to get any sleep, hyperaware of the contact. Third, it’s going to be that much harder to say goodbye.

“Get off.” he mutters voice catching in his throat. Lacking the conviction to push him away he can only hope what little detachment he can muster is enough to drive him away. Highly unlikely but it’s his best chance.

“No, I’m not leaving.” he retorts clinging even closer to him. The proximity of the boy is flustering, the steady incline of his heart rate stuttering against his ribcage. That’s probably not a normal reaction but he doesn’t worry too much about it. Right now he’s a little more concerned about the upset maknae holding him like a lifeline.

He makes to turn around but the younger boy panics and holds him firmly, refusing to let him leave.

“It’s alright, I’m not going to leave.” he assures softly. The arms around him slacken enough to allow him to roll over and face their owner. He blinks stunned and at a loss. His sleepy eyes are rimmed red with silent tears that trail down his fair face. It physically hurts him to see the boy crying, he’s never seen him cry and would never like to ever again.

Especially if those tears are because of him.

“Don’t cry, we’ll see each other again.” he murmurs tucking his head gingerly under his chin. Enveloping the broken boy that buries his head into his chest he holds him close, whispering consoling words. Though his words are meant for the maknae he finds himself listening to his reassuring words and tries to believe them.

“Hyung?” His eyes flutter open, half awake and slowly dozing off.

“What is it?” he asks cradling him carefully nearer.

“Promise me we’ll be this close no matter what.” he pleads speaking into his chest.

“Of course, nothing can ruin what we have.”

“I love you, hyung.” He sounds exhausted, allowing himself to slowly succumb to sleep only after snuggling into him comfortably with hands clutching the thin material of his shirt. Soft snores escapes his lips a moment later, finally letting himself drift off into unconsciousness.

He sighs and the sleeping boy’s soft chocolate hair with a lingering hand.

“I love you too.”