Chapter 8

The Cat That Brought Us Together. Re-up.

Donghae awoke several times during the night. He just couldn’t settle down. His brain would not shut up. It was Hyukjae this and Hyukjae that. And more often than not his brain wanted to constantly remind him of that kiss. Just over and over, the heat of Hyukjae’s breath, the taste of Hyukjae’s lips and the feel of Hyukjae’s skin on his own. There was no escaping it.

After waking for the fifth time that night Donghae decided that he would get up. It was only an hour earlier than he would usually get up, and he needed to get ready for today’s big shoot anyway.

He walked into the bathroom to wash his face but when he looked in the mirror his eyes opened wide in surprise then he sighed in defeat. He looked just as terrible as he felt. He had large bags under bloodshot eyes and his skin was washed out and pale.

“I certainly hope Sunhwa doesn’t kill me for this.” He whispered while inspecting his eyes in the mirror.

“Maybe I should just call in sick. Blame it on personal troubles or something.” Nahh the director will have me ten feet under before I could finish my sentence for sure.

Begrudgingly he decided that he valued his own life more than a day’s rest so he washed his face and made himself a coffee. With a plop he collapsed on the lounge and picked up his script.

Today was his big kiss scene with Jang Seong, one that he was now not looking forward to. From the script Donghae could tell that Seong’s character, Jin-ah, was supposed to be upset and angry with Donghae’s character and he was supposed to placate her with a kiss, their first of the drama.

How am I supposed to calm down an angry woman in this state, she’d probably just become even more angry at me because my kiss would be so terrible. Oh where is Hyukjae when I need him?

Glancing at his watch Donghae realised that it was now 7:05 and that Hyukjae should be here in about half an hour.

His brain started talking again, but this time it was more worried.

What do I say to him? Will it be awkward? What if he wants to kiss me again? What if I want him to kiss me again?

____

The next thirty minutes could not have gone slower. Donghae found himself look at his watch every few minutes to the point where he was convinced his battery was dying because there was no other reason why time was moving so slowly.

Eventually it was 7:30 and Donghae waited and waited for the knock at his door, but it never came. 7:45 still no Hyukjae. Maybe he is just running late he thought. But if I keep waiting around I’m going to be late.

When the clock struck 8 o’clock Donghae finally decided to leave, he couldn’t risk being late today. Feeling dejected and lost Donghae patted Patches and left.

On his way out he thought of an idea. What if Hyukjae was just running late, and I leave and he can’t get in? I know! I’ll leave him a note.

Donghae tore off a little square of paper from the back of his script and pulled a pen out of his bag. He wrote:

Dear Hyukjae,

If you get this, I have already left for work. If you want the key to get in, come and visit me at the studio. The address is 15 Cheongnam Road. You can’t miss it because it’s a huge building. I will be in Studio 6. Just ask for Donghae and they’ll bring you to me. Ok!

He signed his name at the bottom, and because he wanted to feel positive he drew a little smiley face.

Donghae then folded the note in half and wedged a corner under edge of the peephole. After ensuring that his note was secure (enough) he proceeded off to work.

_____

“Jin-ah, wait! Don’t leave!”
“How could you just sit there and say nothing Seung Do? I pour my heart out to you and you do nothing? If you don’t like me you should just reject me! It will hurt less that way!”

“It’s not like that, I swear… I”

Donghae reached out and grabbed Jang’s arm; pulled her close and held her face with his other hand.

“I love you Jin-ah. So don’t leave me.”

Then hesitating only for a moment, his eyes searching, Donghae leant forward and pressed his lips to his co-star’s, closing his eyes as he did so.

  Donghae was nervous; it was probably all the cameras, but he desperately hoped it didn’t show. He did not want to shoot this scene again.

The kiss with Jang Seong was different than the kiss with Hyukjae was. Hyukjae’s kiss was soft and tender, and electrified him from head to toe. This one felt forced and fake. There was no passion and love and it left him feeling somewhat empty.

But still continued with the scene like the professional he was. Pulling away from Jang Seong he looked deep into her eyes.

Smiling warmly he recited “Jin-ah, I’ve been in love with you the whole time, I was just so afraid to tell you because I wasn’t sure if you felt the same. I’m sorry I kept you waiting.”

“Cut! Well done Donghae! You’ll be disappointed to know that the scene was perfect and we don’t need you to shoot it again.” 

Donghae sighed in relief and then cursed mentally with the realisation that now that the couple were together in the drama, it meant more kiss scenes.

Oh well I guess that just means I need more practice. He thought, blushing at the notion of practicing more with Hyukjae.

As he headed back to his dressing room he looked down at his watch, he still had 3 hours of filming left but Hyukjae hadn’t shown up yet. I wonder if he even got my note…

 When Donghae arrived back at his dressing room he sensed that something was amiss but he didn’t know what. After taking a look around he saw that no-one was there and everything was seemingly in its place so he put it out of his mind.

____

After filming had ended for the day Donghae congratulated everyone for their hard work and they did the same, and Donghae headed home. He collected his things from his dressing room and went to his car. Once more he got that strange feeling when he unlocked his car, but he could not put his finger on what was wrong.

It was only when he got home that it hit him.

He was standing in front of his apartment door holding his keys in his hand looking down at them. Staring for the longest time he realised that his door key was missing. Glancing back up at the door he noticed the note was missing too. Does this mean that Hyukjae came? But why did he not see me?

Donghae pouted slightly before tentatively knocking on his own front door.

His heart was pounding, which was ridiculous because he was standing in front of his own house, why should he be scared.  What if Hyukjae didn’t come and get my key and somebody else has it and there is a stranger inside my house? He moved his hand over his pocket just in case he needed his phone.

But after a moment the door opened and there was Hyukjae standing in his doorway.

“Oh thank heavens!” Donghae exhaled a sigh of relief. “I was worried that someone else had stolen my key and that there was a stranger in my house.” He finished with a wide grin, thoroughly pleased that he didn’t have to call the police.

“I’ll admit I’m strange, but thankfully I’m not a stranger.” Hyukjae smiled back, “Come in.”

“It feels weird to be invited in to my own house.” Donghae said as he walked in, kicking his shoes off as he did so.

“To be honest I don’t think it beats the feeling of using your key to open your door. Even though I knew I had permission I still felt like I was intruding.” Hyukjae chuckled as he sat down on the lounge and scooped up Patches in his hand.

“Well it’s not my fault that you didn’t turn up when you said you would.” Donghae retorted, only half teasing, because he was a little peeved that Hyukjae had made him worry for the whole day.

Hyukjae was quiet for a minute, choosing his words carefully.

“I wasn’t sure if you wanted me to come.” He said softly, the cat in his hand.

“Of course I wanted you to come, why wouldn’t I? I don’t think I have enough faith in Patches yet to leave him here by himself, he still needs your support.” Donghae looked like he was about to say more, but he instead closed his mouth and didn’t continue.

“Is that all I mean to you? Even now, after what happened, I’m still just the person that looks after your cat?” Hyukjae looked hurt, staring up at Donghae, eyes searching for answers.

“No, Hyukjae that’s not all you mean to me. You’ve always been there for me when I needed help and your smile always cheers me up and I can trust you”

Donghae paused and sat down on the lounge next to Hyukjae,

“Even though we’ve only known each other for a short while, I have come to rely on you. You’re my best friend. I need you.”

The sadness in Hyukjae’s eyes deepened but then he smiled, not a bright smile like Donghae was used to, but it was a smile all the same.

“Best friend huh? What if I have other friends that I like more than you?” Hyukjae said, teasingly completely different to how he was just a few seconds ago.

Donghae looked mock hurt. “Well if I’m not your best friend, you’re not going to be mine!” he said while trying to keep a straight face. “Patches come here” Donghae continued, taking the purring kitten out of Hyukjae’s hands “we don’t need him anymore; he doesn’t want to be my friend.”  

Donghae held Patches up to his face, “Hyukjae’s being a big meanie, so you’re going to be my new best friend ok?” Giving the cat a little shake as if to add emphasis to his words.

In response Patches extended a paw and put it on Donghae’s cheek.  “See Patches likes me” Donghae laughed.

“If that’s all it takes to show that I like you, well, I’ve already done that.” Hyukjae stated pointedly  

Donghae stopped, his face turned red and he felt a lump in this throat. “Ah, well I suppose that’s true.” He stuttered out, refusing to meet the older man’s eyes.

Hyukjae laughed and said “Does this mean that I’m your best friend again then?”

“Yes, I guess it does.” Donghae replied absent-mindedly, still blushing.

Apparently Hyukjae thought he would have some fun with his distracted friend because he then leaned in, his face close to Donghae’s.

The younger’s eyes opened wide in shock and he went perfectly still. Hyukjae chuckled low under his breath sending waves of hot air over Donghae’s cheek, to which he shuddered.

Hyukjae put his lips close to Donghae’s ear and breathily whispered “Good, because I’m not going anywhere.”

Donghae sat rooted to the spot, face red. Hyukjae was still dangerously close and he mentally willed him to move away before Donghae could do something that he might later regret.  But of course Hyukjae couldn’t read his mind so he in fact did the complete opposite to what Donghae wanted.

Hyukjae chuckled again, and closed the distance between his lips and Donghae’s ear, giving him a nip on the ear lobe.

Donghae jumped up from his seat immediately and a hand flew to his ear, face completely scarlet. Hyukjae just sat back smirk on his face, clearly amused by the flustered state Donghae was in before him.   

“What the hell was that for?!” Donghae demanded.

“Because I wanted to.” Hyukjae just shrugged, eyes glinting playfully.

Donghae dropped his hand exasperatedly, “I don’t think I can deal with you like this.” He sighed. “I’m going to need more coffee. Or beer.”

Donghae turned and headed to the kitchen, changing the subject as he did so. “So how was your day? What did you teach my cat?”  

Hyukjae sighed, disappointed he did not get to tease Donghae any longer, but conceded that at least Donghae hadn’t thrown him out when he bit his ear, so this was a positive sign that maybe Donghae liked him back too.

“My day was alright, I arrived here late and got your message, then headed straight over to the studio. You are right, you can’t miss it.” He smiled. “I then went to the office and said I was a friend of yours and that I had to collect something and they took me to your set. You were in the middle of a shoot at the time, so I didn’t want to disturb you. I went to your dressing room and found your keys.”

“Ah that explains why I felt something was off, coz you touched my stuff!”        

“Ha, yeah sorry. Anyway I took your house key and left. Once I got here I just tidied up a bit, changed the litter in Patches’ litter box and had a bit of a play and that’s about it, until you got home of course.” 

Donghae nodded as he handed Hyukjae a beer, and sat back down on the couch, the tension from before long forgotten.

“I didn’t get to say it before you left yesterday, but thank you for all your help with, ya’ know” Donghae waved his free hand around in front of him. “It really helped.” He finished bashfully.

Hyukjae just chuckled and after taking a swig of his beer he replied, “Anytime Donghae, anytime.” 

_______

They spent the rest of the night drinking and swapping stories. Donghae learned about how Hyukjae came to open a pet shop and Hyukjae learned about how Donghae got into acting. Midnight came and went and still they talked about their futures and dreams. Thankfully however, because they were drunk neither of the men were likely to remember any of it at all.

The last thing Donghae can remember is saying, before it all gets fuzzy is “Hyukjae-ah don’t go. Stay with me.”

_____

 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok so omg i am sooo sorry this took so long. Really i am. but like i said i have been snowed under lately. The only reason that i uploaded this today was because i finished 2 assignments today and i wanted to reward myself with some down time. >_<

But i'll probably pay for that later.

Q.Q

in anycase, i hope everyone has been voting in the MAMA awards!

SJ ALL THE WAY!!!

and the next one won't be for a bit, so i won't tell you to anticpate it this time, because you'll get your hopes up, and then you'll be let down by all the waiting.