Chapter 5

The Cat That Brought Us Together. Re-up.

Donghae thought for a minute.

What could possibly go wrong? He’d bring the Patches here before going to work and pick him up on his way home. That could work. And Hyukjae would look after him thus ensuring that his apartment did not get destroyed again.

“Ok, deal!” Donghae said enthusiastically

Hyukjae looked surprised that Donghae had agreed so readily.

“Shall I drop him off tomorrow morning then?” Donghae asked.

Then Hyukjae realised why Donghae had agreed.

“Ah Donghae, I must point out, for this to work I have to train him at your place.” The shop clerk said, emphasising the last few words.

“Umm why?”

“Because” He replied “I can’t train Patches to use the litter box, if he can’t find it when he goes home. I can’t get him to not tear up the furniture without furniture for him to tear up. I can’t train him to…”

Hyukjae went to continue before he was cut off by Donghae placing a finger to his lips.

“It’s ok, I get it now.” Donghae said, removing his finger from the other man’s mouth.

“It seems risky though. Why should I trust you in my house when I’m not there?”

Hyukjae’s face became serious.

“I know you have no reason to trust me. But I want to help you and you can take my word when I say that I have no intention of bringing you harm.” He said looking Donghae straight in the eye.

For the second time in a matter of minutes Donghae had again felt unnerved by the man before him. What was about this guy that got to him?

“Ok.” Donghae said slowly. “I’ll give you one chance.”

It really seemed that Hyukjae was being honest. Everything that he had said was genuine so Donghae felt it was ok to trust him. And he didn’t really have a reason not to trust the man so he saw no other option.

“Good. I won’t betray your trust.” Hyukjae said solemnly

“Now!” He continued brightly “Shall we go get acquainted?” Picking up the cat box off the counter and walking to the door.  

“Where are we going?” asked the puzzled Donghae

“To your place, silly.” Hyukjae grinned

“Now?” Donghae said, even more confused. “Don’t you have a shop to run?”

“Eh. We’re never busy anyway. I’ll just put the “out to lunch” sign up. No-one ever questions it.” Hyukjae said with a wave of his hand. “Now c’mon, hurry up, I wanna see your place.” Ushering Donghae out the door.

____

Donghae had completely forgotten about the state that his house was in until he had returned and opened the door.

Hyukjae took one step inside and turned to him eyes wide in shock.

“What happened here?” he asked incredulously 

“You are holding it.” Donghae replied coolly gesturing to the box. He could feel his anger resurfacing again just by looking at his apartment.

“Ohh.” Hyukjae said quietly, his mouth forming a ‘o’ shape as he looked around.

“It’s ok; I’ll help you clean up.” He continued, offering a tight smile

“Thanks. That would be appreciated” Donghae replied, now leading Hyukjae through his apartment to the kitchen.

Hyukjae put the box down on the floor and released the cat from its cage, picking it up before it could flee any further.

“Patches, did you do this to Donghae’s apartment?” Holding the kitten close to his face.

“Hmm did you?” He asked again, pressing their faces together.

Patches thought this was the perfect opportunity to bite down on the end of the man’s nose.

“Ahh!” Hyukjae cried, pulling the feline from his face and rubbing his nose with one hand. “You do need some training.” He said somewhat disgruntled.

Donghae laughed and offered Hyukjae some ice from the freezer.

“See I told you he was faulty.”

“Thankyou” He said, taking the ice. “And no, not faulty, just untrained. There’s a difference.”

“If you say so” Donghae said as he righted the vase on the table and added some more water.  

Hyukjae walked over to Patches’ bed and placed him in it. He then held up a finger in front of the cat’s face. “Stay!” he commanded in an authoritative voice.

“Stay!” he repeated, just to make sure Patches understood.

Satisfied he then went to the couch and picked up the cushions, inspecting the damage.

“You know, with a few stitches these would almost be as good as new, and if you just turn them over, no – one would notice at all!”

“Yeah, good idea Hyukjae, only one problem… I can’t sew.” Donghae responded dryly as he moved to get the vacuum cleaner from the laundry.

“Oh well I could fix them for you.” He suggested. “When I was younger we didn’t have a lot of money, so I had to fix my own clothing.” Now staring at the floor rubbing the back of his neck.

Donghae looked at him curiously. He seemed so timid all of a sudden. Feeling the need to lighten the mood Donghae quickly changed the subject.

"Well that would be good. Hey, would you like something to drink? I've got soda, beer or water."

"Ah a soda would be great thanks. It's a bit early for beer isn't it, it's only midday." Hyukjae answered

"After the morning i've had," Donghae said "It's never too early for beer." Although he got himself a soda too; he didn't want to make his guest feel awkward.  

Donghae handed Hyukjae his soda and took back the ice pack, inspecting the man's nose as he did so. Leaning in, he peered closely at the end of his companion's nose. Hyukjae just stood stifly, barely even breathing, but Donghae didn't even notice.

"It looks like he just nipped you." Donghae said, stepping back "There is a few little marks, but they'll fade in no time." He smiled.

Hyukjae coughed once to clear his throat before responding "Thats good then and thanks for the soda." He mumbled turning to look out the window to hide his now pink cheeks.

"You're welcome!" Donghae said cheerily, completely oblivious to his friends discomfort.

After putting the ice pack away, Donghae went to the window and sat down on the floor, seeing as his couch was in disrepair. Hyukjae joined him shortly after. 

"Thanks" Donghae said quietly. "I've only known you for a day, and you've already helped me out more than once."

Staring out the window he continued. "I owe you one."

Hyukjae just laughed, awkwardness forgotten. "Yeah, you do."

___

 

Donghae shouldn't have sat down.

As soon as he stopped doing things, a wave of tiredness hit him. He realised he didn't get to come home and sleep like he had intended.

That stupid cat. Messed up my plans, again.

Sitting in the sun by the window was so nice and warm, he felt like he could stay there forever.

I might just rest my eyes for a minute. He thought as his eyes slid closed and his body slumped forward. Just for a minute.

___

 

A few hours later Donghae awoke in his bed, his sheets tucked in around him.

How'd i get here. He thought hazily, still dazed from sleep.

He looked at his bed side table for his clock, but instead found a little note.

"I put you to bed, and finished cleaning up. I hope you had a good rest. See you tomorrow."  It was signed at the bottom. "Hyukjae"

Great. Donghae thought. Now I owe him even more.

 

____

 

How do you like this chapter! Its a bit longer than the other ones!

But thats only because i spent a few days working on it, rather than just an evening. ^_^

The next chapter won't be for a few days as i have a lot of uni work to do this week, but i'll try to get it out as soon as possible!

Please anticipate.

and as per usual comments are appreciated.

SONG REC!

Loving you ~ Super Junior KRY.

This is the OST for Donghae's drama Mrs Panda and Mr Porcupine, and IT IS AMAZING! *0*

Go listen if you haven't already! Go! Go! Go!!