Chapter 7

The Cat That Brought Us Together. Re-up.

Donghae awoke a bit earlier than usual today. For some reason he was excited and nervous but he was not sure as to why.

He did some exercise at home to try and calm his mind. He hadn’t been to the gym in the past few days and it was starting to get to him.

He showered and got dressed, ate breakfast and fixed himself a cup of coffee. Still feeling restless he looked at his watch. It’s only half past 7! I could have sworn it was later than that!

“Where is Hyukjae?” He said out loud. “I thought he said he was going to be here earlier today.”

Donghae sighed as he picked up his script to kill some time. He’d gotten to the 5th page of the scene when there was a knock at the door.

He all but threw his script down and ran to the door, eager to greet his guest. 

Pausing with his hand on the door handle to regain composure, Donghae checked his appearance in the mirror on the wall. Satisfied, he opened the door as casually and normally as possible.

“About time Hyukjae!” He said, not giving the other man time to speak.

Hyukjae looked flustered at Donghae’s remark. “It’s 7:45! How much earlier do you want me here?!”

Donghae shrugged as he closed the door behind Hyukjae, “I dunno, it’s just I’ve been up for ages and I’m in need of some entertainment.”

“You have a cat for that, not me.”

“But Patches was still asleep, and he is too cute to disturb.”

“So you’re saying that I’m not cute, because you are more than happy to disturb me for your amusement?” Hyukjae remarked sarcastically “Thanks.”

“I didn’t mean it like that! You can be cute, like when you blush and hide your face and stuff.” Donghae blurted out.

“Aww so you do think I’m cute!” Hyukjae replied teasingly, picking up a cat toy and throwing it at Donghae.

Donghae dodged the toy easily and picked up his script. “Ya! Shut up.” No menace in his voice at all. “Only sometimes. The rest of the time you are a sarcastic pain in the .”  

Hyukjae just laughed. “Yes, but you have to put up with me because I’m training your cat!” He said, sticking his tongue out at Donghae.

 “Do that again, and I’ll bite it off!” Donghae warned.


Hyukjae was about to say something but was distracted by the sight of Patches stretching and yawning, having been woken up by the banter of the two men.

“Aw did we wake you up Patches?” Hyukjae cooed as he picked up the little cat. “I’m sorry. But Hae was being a big meanie so I had to say something.” As he the cats back.

“I was not being mean!” Donghae started

“Shh Donghae, we can’t fight in front of Patches, imagine what that would do to him emotionally.” Hyukjae interrupted in mock sincerity.

Donghae just sighed exasperatedly. “Well if you two are settled now” he said, waving his hand in the direction of Hyukjae who was now coddling his cat. “I’ll be off to work. Who knows I might actually be on time for the first day this week.”

Hyukjae picked up one of Patches paws and waved it at the now retreating Donghae, “Bye Hae! See you this afternoon!”

____

Donghae was on time. Sunhwa looked so surprised to see Donghae sitting in his dressing room reading when she walked in.

“Alright, what happened? Why are you here on time today?”

“What do you mean Noona?” Donghae replied confused

“Did you have a fight with her or something? Did she kick you out early?”

“Who? I’m sorry, but I’m not following.” Donghae said slowly, now even more puzzled.

“Donghae, I’ve seen the way you rush in here when you are late, you’re all starry-eyed and your face is flushed.” Sunhwa said matter-of-factly “You’ve got a girlfriend.”

“WHAT!” Donghae exclaimed, his eyebrows to his hairline and eyes wide. “Noona! I do NOT have a girlfriend!” 

“You can’t hide anything from me Donghae, I see you on a daily basis.”

“Look Noona, I don’t have a girlfriend. “ He paused. How could he explain his behaviour to Sunhwa so she wouldn’t be suspicious? “It’s just Patches, my cat. I just have such a blast with him. He really makes me happy.”

He hoped that didn’t come across as lame as it sounded, but judging by the look on Sunhwa’s face, she believed it. Well he wasn’t an actor for nothing.

“I remember when I got my first pet. It was a little poodle. I remember wanting to take her everywhere with me because I couldn’t bear to leave her.” Sunhwa said reminiscently, eyes glazing over.

“Ah that’s great Noona, but can we get on with my make up please, I have to be on set in 20 minutes.”  Donghae said tentatively, relieved that the conversation was no longer about him.

____

After filming, once again, the Director approached Donghae.

 “Don’t forget Donghae, tomorrow is your big kiss scene with Jang Seong, and I want you to get it right! I don’t want to have to film the two of you kissing a million times.” He said sternly, “Though I’m sure you wouldn’t mind” He muttered at the end.

“I’ll do my best sir.” Donghae replied, his cheeks pinking slightly at the thought of having to kiss his co-star in front of all those cameras.

“You better.” The director said with a nod before walking off.

____

On the car ride home Donghae thought about how he was going to pull off his kiss scene tomorrow. It’s been ages since he’d actually kissed anyone. The last time he’d had a girlfriend was in 9th grade in high school and even then, they’d only kissed twice.

I could practice in the mirror. He thought. But I don’t know if that’s real enough. I’d probably still be terrible.

For the rest of the drive home Donghae thought about all the kiss scenes he’d seen in dramas and movies to give him an idea of what he should do.

By the time he made it home he had come to the conclusion that he needed help. And there was only one person he could ask.

____

When Donghae entered his apartment his ears were tipped red and he had a lump in his throat. He was definitely not prepared for what he had to do. This is so embarrassing! He thought. I can’t believe I have to ask for advice from him.

As he entered the living room he couldn’t see Hyukjae, or Patches anywhere. Just as he was about to head up the hall to his bedroom he heard “Patches! Get him!”

Suddenly Patches dashed out from his hiding place, behind the TV and leapt at Donghae. Rather than clawing at him like he expected, Donghae instead found Patches rubbing against his ankles, tail swishing in delight.

“Aw Patches” Hyukjae said, suddenly appearing behind the arm of the lounge. “You’re supposed to attack intruders, not cuddle them. You’ll never be a good guard cat if you aren’t vicious.”     

Donghae picked up Patches and started his fuzzy companion. Turning to Hyukjae he asked “And just why were you hiding behind my lounge and why were you training Patches to be a guard cat? I thought I wanted Patches to not attack things. Least of all me.”

“Well firstly, I was hiding from you because we needed to have the element of surprise! And secondly, you need some line of defence if someone tries to break in when you’re not here.” Hyukjae shrugged.

“Ok. Well when you aren’t too busy training my cat to kill me; I need to ask you a favour.” Donghae said as he sat down on the lounge, still cradling Patches.  “And you can say no if you want to” He added hurriedly, feeling a burning sensation creep across his face.

Ohk Shoot, what is it?” Hyukjae replied taking a seat next to Donghae.

“Erm well, I…” Donghae was having trouble finding the right words to say.

“Just spit it out, I won’t judge you.” Hyukjae said gently, trying to coax the words out of his friend’s mouth.

“I-I I need some advice.” Donghae said finally

“Ok, on what?” Hyukjae asked, now curious.

“On kissing.” Donghae mumbled staring down at Patches. He couldn’t see it, but he was sure his face was now red.

“On kissing?” Hyukjae repeated, a light blush now decorating his face. He wasn’t expecting this kind of advice.

“Ahuh.” The younger man nodded, feeling as though he was 12 years old. “I have a kiss scene in my drama tomorrow, and I’m not sure what to do.” He finished quietly, still not daring to look at his friend.

“Oh, I see.” Hyukjae said slowly. “Well have you ever kissed anyone before?”

“Yes!’ Donghae said forcefully. “You make it sound like I’ve never dated before in my life!”

“Well I don’t know your personal history” Hyukjae said defensively, “Sorry, I’m just trying to help by seeing what you know.”

“I’ve kissed people before, but it was a while ago and I’m really nervous about tomorrow that’s all.”

“Hmm, well ok. how about you tell me about your last kissing experience? That might jog your memory."

"I don't really remember because I was in grade 9. But we sort of just pressed our lips together" Donghae said still pink but now frowning. "It didn't really seem like there was a lot of emotion behind it. We were just kissing because that's what couples do."

Hyukjae just nodded along with what Donghae was saying. When Donghae had finished he spoke, “That doesn’t sound like a very romantic kiss. In my experience kisses are supposed to be soft and loving but passionate at the same time. Kisses are supposed to convey everything you want to say to the person you love without words.”

“Wow, that does sound romantic.” Donghae said, now looking at his friend in awe. “But I don’t think I’d be able to pull off something like that.”

Hyukjae thought for a moment.

“Donghae” He said seriously

“Yes?”

“Would you like me to show you?” Looking Donghae in the eye his own eyes questioning

Donghae was silent for a minute, Patches as he mulled over the proposition.

“…Yes… I would.” He said quietly.

“Good.”

Hyukjae cupped Donghae’s face with his hand and turned the younger man to face him.

“Just do as I say ok?”

Donghae just swallowed and nodded nervously.

“Stay still.”

Hyukjae still holding Donghae’s face leant in closer, wetting his lips with his tongue as he did so. All Donghae could do was stare. His heart racing and cheeks flushed.

Their noses were mere centimetres apart when Hyukjae whispered “Close your eyes.” Donghae complied. He could feel the man’s breath on his skin and when their noses brushed his pulse stuttered.

Just what was he getting himself in for?

His thoughts, however, were dispelled when Hyukjae’s lips finally met his. Sensation rushed through him like a jolt of electricity, his heart felt like it had stopped and his grip tightened on the cat in his lap. His mind was reeling from the sudden influx of information from his senses.

Hyukjae’s lips were soft and moist and his kiss was gentle, his mouth slowly moving against his own. Donghae didn’t know how to react so he just held on to Patches, his grip tightening with every passing second.

Patches hissed and escaped from his owners vice like grip darting across the room. The movement startled Hyukjae who pulled back suddenly looked shocked and embarrassed.

Donghae’s heart dropped slightly at the loss of contact as he breathed heavily, only just realising that he hadn’t been breathing during the kiss.

“I’m sorry Donghae” Hyukjae said quickly “I should go, I hope that helped.”

In one swift move he had released Donghae and was off the lounge and headed toward the door.

“Wait! Hyukjae! Don’t go yet!” Donghae called after him, but it was too late. He heard the click of the door shutting behind Hyukjae and his heart dropped even further.

“Thanks.” He said quietly feeling so alone all of a sudden.         

Donghae brought his fingers up to his lips to touch the place where Hyukjae had been just moments ago.

! He thought. Just what have I gotten myself into?

He stared out the window and Patches returned to his lap. Looking down at his small friend again he whispered “What am I going to do Patches? What is this feeling?”

Patches just purred in response.

____

Meanwhile down on the street below Hyukjae had one hand over his heart and one over his mouth. He couldn’t believe what he’d just done. His head was spinning. Donghae gave him the option and he had taken it with both hands. Both literally and figuratively.

He kissed him, he’d kissed Donghae! What had he done? What if Donghae never wanted to see him again? Could he live without seeing Donghae?

All he could think about was Donghae.

!

 

___

I hope you like this chapter.

Sorry if this is a bit chapter was a bit transparent but i had the impression that the story was not moving fast enough for some of you so i thought it was about time they made contact. ^_^

Ooh! emotional turmoil! Do either of them know what they want? Or are they scared to admit that they want it! ;D

Again i apologise if this took a bit too long, Forgive me!

Song recc time!

tbh i'm a bit dissapointed that no-one has given me any feedback on my taste in music yet. Maybe you're all just shy! >_<

Anyway, today's reccommendation is dah dan-da daahh!

Hysterie By Infinite!

i really like this song, and it starts out a bit slowly but it builds into a really awesome song! please do listen!

Anyway thats all for this update!
 

As per usual please anticipate the next chapter, and comment are love. <3