Chapter Eight.

Locked To You

 

Awkward silence filled the atmosphere as the three friends sat in silence in the little restaurant near Seoul National Hospital. Onew was glaring at Jonghyun whilst the younger boy kept his head down so he didn’t have to meet Onew’s eyes. Jessica was lost in her own little world, still pondering about the incident that happened earlier.

Onew cleared his throat and looked at Jessica, “So how was your day today?” He asked her casually

Jessica pouted, “Hectic! Jonghyun and I didn’t even get to eat lunch”

So you’re with Jonghyun at the hospital too?” Onew asked, feeling slightly disappointed.

Before Jessica could answer, Jonghyun stood up and bid goodbye, “I’m not feeling too well. I’ll see you at home”

Jonghyun, wait!” Jessica called after him but was too late, he was already gone. Jessica was saddened as she watched his shadow retreat and soon was out of her vision. She let out a sigh and Onew noticed at her slight change of mood.

Do you think he’ll be okay?” Jessica asked, still looking at the door hoping that Jonghyun would come back.

Onew didn’t answer. He was angry. He was jealous. “Why does everyone like Jonghyun?” He thought to himself. Onew remained silent throughout his dinner with Jessica. Onew’s unusual behaviour made Jessica slightly uncomfortable but she didn’t question him, cause all she could think about was Jonghyun. The ride home felt longer than usual and Jessica was slightly losing her patience. She wanted to see Jonghyun.

 

Finally arriving in front of the Jung’s residence, Jessica sprinted inside the house. To her dismay, Jonghyun was nowhere to be found.

Is Jonghyun home yet?” She asked Key when he passed her in the living room.

Nope. He called before and said that he’ll be home late” Key replied half-heartedly, his attention glued to his iPad.

Do you know where he could be?” Jessica asked

When Key didn’t reply, she snatched his iPad away.

YAH! I was getting a high score! He’s probably at the beach, getting some fresh air. Why are you so worried!?” Key yelled back, feeling furious.

Jessica was quickly out of the house and made her way to the closest beach. Onew, who overheard her conversation with Key, was not happy - he felt betrayed by Jonghyun, who is trying to steal Jessica from him.

 

At the beach, Jessica searched frantically for Jonghyun. By the playground, a familiar stature can be seen on the swing, singing a sorrowful song.

My heartbeat falls asleep today,

Eternal hibernation.

Winter beckons me again,

My heartbeat has been frozen”

Jessica remained quiet as she watch Jonghyun sing. His emotions poured as he sang the song with all his might, reminiscing about his first love.

 

[FLASHBACK]

HyeMi-ah, saranghae” Jonghyun whispered to the love of his life as he caressed her cheeks.

The beautiful girl forced a smile in return and kissed him on the cheek, “I know”

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

My heartbeat’s counting down the days,

‘til you return from somewhere.

The hidden face you ran away,

You took my heartbeat with you….

It stopped for you,

It stopped for you,

It’s been so long… my heart’s on hold for you”

 

[FLASHBACK]

Jonghyun broke down in tears beside his girlfriend. His world was collapsing… he was suffocating.

“What do you mean she only have a few weeks to live? She’s a healthy person? Why are you sprouting nonsense!? You’re a doctor! You can save her!” Jonghyun yelled at the oncologist.

“I’m sorry, but the cancer cells have spread throughout her body. Surgery is risky and even if surgery were to take place we won’t be able to remove all the tumors. There are far too many” The doctor explained

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

“Oh, Oh, Oh, my heart is done in,

Keeps beating faster and faster and faster,

Are you here?

Must be you,

You’re leaving so soon,

My heartbeat’s going,

My heartbeat’s going,

My heartbeat’s gone.

 

Oh, my heartbeat’s slowing down again,

Sinking as you fade,

Slowly I must let you do,

Where’s my perfect day?”

 

[FLASHBACK]

Jonghyun sat beside Hyemi’s bedside as she peacefully slept. His heart was aching, he was in shock with what she had told him. “I like.. Onew” she said… her voice lingered in his mind. Her confession haunted him and he couldn’t think straight. He wanted to be angry, he wanted to yell at her for liking another man… for liking his best friend. But he couldn’t, she was dying… she only had a few weeks to live… she deserves to be happy.

He always knew that Onew and Hyemi had affections for one another. But he thought that she would forget about Onew if he spent a lot of time with her. But he was wrong. And now he’s broken.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

Jonghyun paused singing for a bit as a few of his tears escaped from his eyes. Being the sensitive person she is, Jessica cried along with him and wanted to approach him but she let him continue singing,

“Oh, my heart is done in,

Keeps beating faster and faster and faster,

Are you here?

Must be you.

You’re leaving so soon,

My heartbeat’s going,

My heartbeat’s going…

My heartbeats…gone…”

 

[FLASHBACK]

Jonghyun stood motionless as he watched Onew hold onto Hyemi’s lifeless body. He wanted to cry, but not a single teardrop dared to drop. He wanted to yell but not a muscle dared to move. He was angry with Onew. He felt betrayed. He wanted to argue and throw a few punches at Onew but there was no point of fighting over someone who was no longer in this world.

Onew had taken the love of Jonghyun’s life away from him. God had taken Hyemi’s life away from them. And Hyemi took Jonghyun’s broken heart with her.

A beautiful life was taken too young.

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

Jessica didn’t understand the meaning of the song. But she knew that Jonghyun was hiding something and that he’s emotions are all bottled up. Letting her emotion take over, she wrapped her arms around him and rested her head on his back.

Just let it all out. I’m here with you,” Jessica whispered as she tightened her grip around him.

Jonghyun couldn’t think of anything else. He felt secure in Jessica’s embrace. He wasn’t afraid to break down in front of her and the two cried together. Jonghyun cried to his hearts content. For that one night, he let go of his past, his tragic love story and shared his pain with Jessica. 

 

----------------------------------------

The song that I've included is: Heartbeat - Thanh Bui

It's a beautiful and touching song & I strongly recommend it to you all.

Enjoy! 

p.s I CAN ACTUALLY DIRECTLY REPLY TO YOUR COMMENTS NOW SO COOOOL!

COMMENT&SUBSCRIBE <3