Chapter One.

Locked To You

 

-16 Years Ago; 24th October; Seoul’s Private Hospital –

 

The cries of the newborn baby can be heard from outside the surgery room 104. Young Jessica cracks a wide smile as she looks up to her father.

 

Is my baby sister here yet?” Jessica asked her father innocently.

 

Mr Jung laughs at his eldest daughter’s cuteness, “Yes honey. Do you want to go meet her?”

 

Jessica nodded eagerly as she held onto her father’s hand as they entered the room. There she could see her exhausted mother, who held on tightly to the tiny human being.

Mommy!” Jessica exclaimed as she ran over to her mother’s bedside. Jessica stared lovingly at her baby sister, smiling as the newborn let out a small yawn. Mrs Jung reached out and Jessica’s long black hair, “You’re a big sister now Jessie, will you take care of your baby sister forever?”

Of course! I will love her forever and ever~”

 

- 3 years ago-

 

Sica unni! Unni! Wake up!” Krystal (13) yelled from the outside of Jessica’s (18) room.

Yet there was no movement in the older girl’s room.

Unni! Your letter from Seoul National University has arrived! Hurry up and get downstairs! Mommy and Daddy are waiting for you!”

Jessica’s mind was taking its time to register what Krystal just said. Seoul… National… University… letter? Jessica’s eyes shot open as something struck her. Today was the day that she feared most. Today is the day where she finds out whether she has been accepted into…

Med school…” Jessica whispered as she ran as quick as possible downstairs.

She snatched the unopened letter from Krystal’s hand, ran back to her room and locked her door. She threw the letter in the centre of her bed and stared blankly at it. Cautiously, she approached the letter and closed her eyes as she opened the letter slowly,

“Dear Ms Jessica Jung,

On behalf of Seoul National University, College of Medicine, I would like to congratulate you in qualifying and being accepted for a spot in our college. We are delighted to have such an intellect like yourself and to extend our gratitude; we would like to offer you a three years scholarship.

Thank you for choosing Seoul National University. We look forward in seeing you soon.

Kindest Regards,

Helen Kim

Vice-Chancellor of Seoul National University, College of Medicine”

 

A high-pitched scream could be heard from Jessica’s room. Her parents were extremely happy when Jessica had told them of the good news. And to celebrate this great achievement, the Jung family decided to have a feast.

Little did they know, as Mr and Mrs Jung went out to purchase some groceries, they were involved in a fatal car accident and fate had taken their lives – leaving Jessica and Krystal to survive on their own.