Tryouts

The Sapphire Club

 

Chapter 2.

 

“Heechul hyung, I think you’re over doing it…” Shindong said nervously. The mob of people surrounding them grew to an incredible amount in a short time interval. And the crowd was starting to get a little too close for comfort.

 

“Leeteuk hyung isn’t going to like this,” added Siwon. He didn’t even bat an eyelash to the crowd’s close proximity. He then moved his attention to the book he was reading, a sly smile forming on his face. It was almost like he was enjoying the whole situation. Shindong was starting to worry for his tall friend. It was a little disconcerting how he was starting to inherit some of Heechul’s attitude. Shindong made sure to have some time cleared later so he can hang out with Siwon.

                                                                                                                                              

“This is a little too much.” said Yesung as he squeezed himself through the crowd. “You never overdo it --- well there was that one time…”

 

Yesung and Shindong simultaneously shuddered at the memory.

 

“Is it wrong that people love me?” Heechul asked grumpily. He has the power to make others ‘fall in love’ with him. Once people are under his love spell, they foolishly do whatever he says. “People love me. It’s just that they needed a little push to show it.”

 

“I think that someone is just being a sad, grumpy old man, because a certain Chinese man isn’t giving him enough loving,” Kangin grinned. He was just about to put a spoonful of pudding in his mouth when he stopped and turned to Heechul horrified.

 

“What was that again?” Heechul smirked.

 

“Here I am eating all this food, and you haven’t eaten a single thing,” Kangin exclaimed. “Here, say ‘aah.’ I can’t believe I was insensitive to someone as beautiful and gorgeous as you!” He then started to spoon-feed Heechul…lovingly.

               

“That’s just weird,” stated Yesung.

 

“Leeteuk hyung definitely isn’t going to like this.”

 

 

~*~*~

 

 

“Isn’t that guy really cute,” giggled Kyuhyun. “He looks so handsome! My heart is beating so fast just loo- and what the hell am I saying?”

 

The four of them were falling hard under the influential love spell. Their attraction to the person named “Heechul” was growing by the second. They were just standing there like love-struck idiots staring dreamily at the crowded table. 

 

“Excuse me,” said someone from behind them.

 

“Sorry,” said Kibum, snapping out of his love daze. He moved away to let the stranger pass. Not only did Kibum move out of courtesy, but the stranger looked downright pissed! Kibum could see the veins popping from the other man.

 

When the stranger walked by them, the other three seemed to have regained their consciousness and senses. It was if the spell has been lifted!

 

“Woah, I’m back to normal!” yelled Henry.

 

 

~*~*~

 

Leeteuk was pissed. Not only was he dealing with the troubles and weight of his club, but now he had to deal with Heechul’s tomfoolery.

 

The angry man swiftly walked through the crowd with ease. Everyone seemed to be returning to normal as he passed by. Once he arrived at the table the crowd behind him was slowly dispersing. “What were we doing?” They’d say confused.

 

“What the hell are you doing?” Leeteuk fumed.

 

“Eating?” Heechul replied simply, opening his mouth so Kangin could feed him.

 

“Why are you using it on the whole school and Kangin is mine!”

 

“And?”

 

Leeteuk and Heechul just kept going back and forth. Kangin just stared at Heechul mindlessly; he was still under the love spell. The other three in the table just kept watching the bout with the two oldest. Siwon was certainly amused with the whole spectacle. Shindong watched the debate anxiously. “This is better than the movies,” said Yesung grabbing the pudding from Kangin’s hands.

 

“You better watch it.” Leeteuk warned. “You don’t want me to put your powers under lock, do you,” he hissed, glaring at Heechul. Leeteuk has the ability to suppress, borrow, and amplify the powers of others. He snapped his fingers and Kangin awoke from his stupor. He blinked a few times, confused.

 

“Leeteuk,” he started, “what are you…Heechul!”

 

“You always like to ruin things,” grunted Heechul. “If you need me, I’ll be with Hankyung.”

 

“Yah! Don’t think I’m letting you off!” He yelled as Heechul walked, no, strutted out of the cafeteria.

 

“We’ll deal with him later,” Leeteuk sighed, taking the empty seat next to Kangin. He ran his fingers through his honey brown hair. “We need to talk about new member tryouts for our club.”

 

“What’s the use?” asked Shindong. “Nobody ever makes the cut anyways.” He then tried to think of a time in his four years of school life when there was no new member. There’s last year – oh wait, there was three. How about the year before last…? No, there was one. “What am I saying? There's always someone every year.” 

 

“It’s required. If we don’t give people a chance to be a member than we’re not a club. By the way, where is everyone?”

 

“Scattered around,” answered Yesung. He was still eating Kangin’s forgotten pudding. “I do know that Sungmin is hanging club fliers, though.”

 

 

~*~*~

 

 

“Hmm,” Henry squinted, “That guy has a talent, too! So that makes two other people in this school with talents.”

               

“Can you tell what kind,” asked Kyuhyun. “Wait, I really don’t need to know. As long as I’m not under that, erg, ‘love trance’ ever again.”

 

While Henry and Kyuhyun conversed about their new discoveries, Ryeowook remained quiet. There are more people with talents and they’re within this school, too. He looked towards Kibum who, too, remained silent. He caught eye contact with the other man. In that split second, and in that single look, both males were aware of each other’s worries and doubts. I don’t want to be pessimistic. Not when my suspicions of Kibum and Kyuhyun were false. Maybe we are over paranoid.

 

~*~*~

 

 

 “So what do you guys say to joining a club?” asked Ryeowook. The four had just finished their hearty meals, and were lazing about the cafeteria. Ryeowook momentarily pushed his troubles to the back of his mind, and changed the subject to a much lighter topic.

 

“Yes! Let’s all join a club together!” Henry replied excitedly. “Look!” He pointed over at the bulletin board that was coincidently and conveniently placed right in front of their lunch table. On the bulletin board were numerous flyers in different colors and fonts about the variety of clubs the school has to offer.

               

Ryeowook and Henry started grabbing dozens of fliers from the bulletin board and placed it neatly on the lunch table. “How about this one or this one?” Henry pointed towards the Band Club flier and then to a Dance Club flier. “We can be a dancing, instrument playing group!”

 

“Not everyone here plays an instrument,” countered Ryeowook. He was surprisingly having fun with all the club prospects. “Now, this one would be cool,” said Ryeowook smugly, raising the Baking club flier for all to see.

 

“Wait, I didn’t even agree if I wanted to join a club.” Kyuhyun protested.

               

“How about that one?” Kibum suggested at the blue flier still on the bulletin board. 

 

“You, Kim Kibum, want to join a club?” Kyuhyun asked in disbelief.

 

“Sapphire Club?” Henry asked grabbing the flier. “There is nothing else written on here besides the time and place tryouts are being held.”

 

“While you guys search for a club to join,” started Kyuhyun standing up and gathering his things. “I’m going to go for a walk. Make sure you guys pick something cool!”

               

“Yeah, yeah,” said Kibum, taking out his electronic device as Kyuhyun left.

 

 

~*~*~

 

 

Kyuhyun was humming a tune as he walked down the pathway. Sometimes it’s nice to get away from all the noise. His pen was swirling in midair in front of him for entertainment. Kyuhyun knew he should be more careful, but there should be no one around. From his peripherals he could see something white, hoping on the grass. He stopped and looked around. He made sure no one was there.

 

“It’s a bunny rabbit,” he cooed at the animal. Kyuhyun sat down on the grass to be at a closer level to the animal. “Oh you’re so cute! You’re so cute!”

 

The bunny, surprised, started to hop away. But it didn’t anticipate Kyuhyun chasing after it. “Don’t run away little bunny!” cried Kyuhyun.

 

“Bunny, where did you go?” Kyuhyun was so into chasing down the bunny he didn’t notice someone appear in front of him. Before he realized it, he had already collided into the man causing the sapphire fliers the man was holding to scatter all over the grassy floor.

 

“I’m so sorry! I didn’t see you!” Kyuhyun profusely apologized. He helped the guy up and started picking up the fliers on the ground.

 

“No, no it’s okay,” the man replied. “It was partly my fault, too.”

 

“I’m sorry,” Kyuhyun said again, handing over the fliers. He wasn’t able to get a good look at the other man; but when Kyuhyun did, he blurted out “Oh wow, you’re cute.” He mentally scolded himself. Smooth, Kyuhyun, smooth.

 

“Excuse me?”  

 

Kyuhyun’s face reddened. “Um…I m-mean the bunny. It’s cute. It’s really small and white. It’s yours, right?” Kyuhyun rambled. Oh God, I’m just digging my hole deeper and deeper. Kyuhyun nervously looked towards the ground. He couldn’t keep eye contact any longer.

 

“What bunny?”

 

“The one I was chasing, err, making sure was safe-” he stopped. The bunny was nowhere to be seen. He looked at the boy’s arms, all that was there were the fliers. “I was pretty sure…”

 

“Probably imagining things,” the stranger giggled. “I’m Sungmin by the way.”

 

“I’m Kyuhyun,” Kyuhyun said slowly, but smiled in return. That guy’s smile is really contagious. Stop it, Kyuhyun! Stop this train of thoughts!

 

“Kyunnie, can I call you that?” the man named Sungmin asked. Before he gave Kyuhyun a chance to reply he continued, “Well, I’m in this club and their holding tryouts after school this week, so I hope you can come.” He handed Kyuhyun a flyer and give him another dose of his infectious smile.

 

This looks oddly familiar, thought Kyuhyun. It was a blue paper with the words, “Sapphire Club” imprinted on top.

 

“You’ll join, right?” asked Sungmin. “Well, I got to go hang more of these up. But,” Sungmin reached out and lifted Kyuhyun’s chin with his finger so they were looking at each other face to face. “You’re cute, too.”

               

Kyuhyun just stood there as he watched Sungmin walk away. Kyuhyun’s face has turned to a brighter shade of red – if that was even possible; and his heart was beating faster than normal. Kyuhyun buried his face in his hands. What’s wrong with me…

 

 

~*~*~

 

 

“So we’ve decided on the photography club?” asked Henry. He looked to his two friends for confirmation. Ryeowook replied with a firm ‘yes.’ Kibum nodded his head; his eyes never leaving his electronic device.

 

“You keep playing with that. What does it do?” Henry asked, genuinely curious. He secretly looked over Kibum’s shoulder to take a peek.

 

“Wait, don’t look!” Kibum uncharacteristically yelled. He tried his best to obscure Henry’s sight, but it was too late. Henry had already seen what Kibum was looking at. The damage has been done. Henry just stared at Kibum mouth agape, and then it slowly turned into a sly grin. Kibum never knew Henry could look so sinister.

 

“Don’t tell.” Kibum pleaded. “Promise me you won’t tell. Anyone.”

               

“Don’t worry! I promise.” Henry said putting out his pinky. “I pinky swear!”

 

“What?” Ryeowook asked, clearly missing something.

 

“Oh nothing,” smiled Henry, “I just don’t know why you can’t tell-”

 

“You promised,” said Kibum, glaring at Henry.

 

“I said I wouldn’t tell…doesn’t mean I can’t bug you about it!” Henry said sticking his tongue out. “Speaking of which, there’s Kyuhyun!”

 

“Hey, guys!” said Kyuhyun. He made sure to keep his appearance in check before returning to his friends. He didn’t want anyone else to know what transpired (Why am I making it sound like I did something naughty, thought Kyuhyun) in the isolated pathway. Heck, he still doesn’t understand what happened. “Decide on a club yet?”

 

“Yup,” said Ryeowook, “We decided on-”

 

“Sapphire Club.” Kyuhyun interjected, remembering what Sungmin had told him. “I’ve decided; if I want to join a club, might as well join something interesting.”

 

“What’s so interesting about that club?” Kibum asked suspiciously. He grabbed the flier. “It doesn’t even mention anything about it!”

 

“Common’ Kibum, it’s the only club without any info! Doesn’t that make it seem cool and mysterious!”

 

“Or the club members were just lazy to add anything on this flier,” mumbled Ryeowook. “What got you so interested in joining a club anyway?”

 

“You’re right, Kyuhyun!” agreed Henry, finally joining in with his opinion. “I vote for cool and mysterious!”

 

~*~*~

 

So they came to the decision that they were going to try out for the Sapphire Club. Only because Henry was already into the idea of joining it, and Kibum and Ryeowook surely knew all efforts were futile against Mr. Lucky.

 

“Wow, looks like there are a lot of people who want to be in this club,” noted Henry. They were standing outside the clubroom in a line. A line! There were a number of people crowding around the clubroom door. Seems everyone liked the idea of the cool and mysterious club.

 

When it was their turn to enter the room, they were lead into a classroom by a gruff, black haired man – who turns out to be the vice president of the club – and were told to be seated at any desk. The four decided to take the four free desks at the back of the room.

 

“Hello, prospective members! I am Sapphire Club’s president, Leeteuk,” greeted the honey haired man.

 

“It’s the guy from the cafeteria,” whispered Kyuhyun. Henry was overly-excited (“This is my luck working again isn’t it? We can make more talented friends!”) Kibum and Ryeowook glanced at each other, understanding and worry in their eyes.

 

“Okay, Kangin, the vice-president, will be handing out the questionnaire. We would like you guys to answer the questions and hand them to Yesung before you leave.” He pointed at the dark-skinned man stationed near the door. Kyuhyun noticed that the guy was wearing a pair of black gloves.

 

“It’s a question try-out?” asked Henry nervously. “I’m not all that good with trivia…”

 

“I’m pretty sure it’s easy,” Kyuhyun said trying to comfort him. When they received the papers, Kyuhyun just stared at it. “You’ve got to be kidding me.” 

 

All that was written on the paper was:

 

What is your name?

What is your grade?

When you are done answering, you may leave. ^^

 

“Wow, that was easy!” said Henry putting down his pen.

 

“We will be putting up a list of those who made it tomorrow. It will be posted up on the bulletin board in the cafeteria, the bulletin board in the dorms, and outside this room’s door,” said Leeteuk over the rising noise of students getting up from their seats. How they were going to decide who makes it in or not, Kyuhyun had no idea.

 

There was a line to head out of the classroom. It turns out that the guy named Yesung was shaking each and everyone’s hand before they left the room. Kyuhyun noticed that he was no longer wearing a glove on his right hand.

 

When it was Kyuhyun’s turn to hand in his paper, Yesung shook his hand. Then he paused for a moment and took off his left glove and shook his hand again. Kyuhyun couldn’t make out what was happening. The man, Yesung, wasn’t revealing any facial expressions to hint what was going on. When Kyuhyun actually handed in his paper, Yesung crumpled his paper and threw it at the side. (Much to the shock of everyone in the room.)

 

“Thanks for coming today,” he smiled sweetly as if nothing just happened.

 

Kyuhyun just walked out the door in shock. Yesung did the same exact actions to his three friends, but to everyone else he just neatly placed the papers in stacks on the side.

 

“What was that all about?” Ryeowook asks a little testily. “He crumpled our papers!”

 

 

~*~*~

 

 

“So do we have any new members this year?” Leeteuk asks Yesung, once the other students were cleared from the room.

               

Yesung picked up the pieces of paper he threw and started straightening them out. “We have four.” He said, handing Leeteuk the crumpled papers.

 

“Four, seriously?” asked Leeteuk a little shocked. He grabbed the papers from Yesung, and quickly scanned them over. “I was expecting at least one but four?”

 

“Well, then why in the future do we have four new members?”

 

“Did the whole try out thing start yet?” asked Heechul entering the room with Hangeng. Heechul had his arms wrapped around Hangeng’s waist.

 

“You guys are late!” scolded Leeteuk. “Where have you been?”

 

“Somewhere,” Heechul smirks, glancing at a flushed Hangeng. Now that Leeteuk looked closer, the two of them did look a bit disheveled.

 

“Okay, I do not want to know,” blanched Kangin.

 

“So how did the tryouts go?” Hangeng asks, hoping he could change the subject.

 

“Apparently we have four new members.”

 

“I’m not sure about that yet,” said Leeteuk. “I don’t want to bring other people into this. What we do is kind of dangerous.”

 

“Who cares if it’s dangerous,” said Heechul, taking a seat on one of the desks. “Think about it. The addition of four new members. The more the members the less work we have to do. With less work, that means more free time. And I do mean free time,” he said emphasizing the words, and glancing deviously between Leeteuk and Kangin.

 

“I completely agree with Heechul on this one, too. We’ve been working too much.” said Kangin a little quickly. He pulls Leeteuk into a hug. “Plus, we haven’t had that much time together,” he adds only audible to Leeteuk.

 

“W-we’ll have to talk with them first,” said Leeteuk turning slightly red. “They deserve a chance to choose, if they want to be a part of our club. No word of this to the other members. I want everything to be finalized before going off and telling them.”

 

Feeling accomplished Heechul stands up and walks over to Hankyung. “That means more free time for us, too,” he whispers.

 

“I wish I had someone,” sighs Yesung, watching the two couples, feeling completely ignored.

 

 

End of Chapter 2.

 

A/N: 

 

Poor Yesung. Two couples being all lovey-dovey (oh oh oh) around him. He must feel like a fifth wheel. ;~; 

And Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun. He really doesn't know anything about the affairs of the heart, does he? 

Hehe, thanks for reading~ 

 

Love, SS