Decisions

The Sapphire Club

 

Chapter 3.

 

“I don’t think we made it,” Kyuhyun groans, remembering the humiliation from the day before. He had looping nightmares of a dark-skinned man crumpling papers, only to remember it was true.

 

The four were already done with their early classes of the day, and they decided to stop by the cafeteria for lunch. When they entered through the steel cafeteria doors, they were greeted with another crowd, but not for a certain table. Everyone was gathering around the bulletin board. Most of the clubs were apparently posting their results today.

 

“How come every time we enter the cafeteria, there always seem to be people crowding around something?” Ryeowook frowned. The cafeteria was for purchasing and eating delicious food not for some circus crowd.

 

“We should check the bulletin board, too!” suggested Henry.

 

“What’s the use?” Kibum said bitterly. “We didn’t make it anyway. They made it quite obvious. Right in front of our faces, actually.”

 

“And it would be too troublesome to push through a crowd to see that we didn’t make the cut,” supplied Ryeowook.

 

“But, I’m lucky,” pouted Henry.

 

 

~*~*~

 

 

“Where the hell are they?” asked Heechul impatiently, lashing out at anyone or anything he sees.

 

“Maybe they’re trying to locate this room,” says Hankyung trying to placate a not-so-happy Heechul. He successfully stopped Heechul from vandalizing anymore poor abused desks. “They are 1st years after all; they have only been in the shcool for a week.”

 

“This is the same room as yesterday!” boomed Kangin. His temper was also rising. He had been waiting for twenty minutes, and still no show from those brats. “The paper clearly stated, ‘Come to room 2-3 second half of lunch!’ ”

 

“What are those two doing here anyway? I thought you wanted to keep this a secret,” said Heechul pointing towards a bemused Siwon and an apprehensive Shindong.

 

“Leeteuk hyung told us to be here,” Shindong said carefully. It was never good to be around an irritated Heechul and an enraged Kangin. Those two were bad enough alone, but together? Shindong silently prayed for the safety of the four first years.

 

“Well,” started Leeteuk. “They’re here to make the explanation process easier, and since those two’s powers are a bit more obvious and reassuring to demonstrate, it’ll make the four feel at ease, but,” Leeteuk looked at his watch. “It looks like they won’t be able to make it.”

 

 

~*~*~

 

 

“Even though you three already came to the conclusion that we didn’t make the club, we could have still checked,” pouted Henry for nth time. He was a little disappointed that his friends had so little faith. “You guys may have not made it, but I’m pretty sure I did!”

 

“And why is that?” Kibum asks out of habit. Though, he already knows what the answer will be.

 

“Because I’m - ”

 

“Lucky,” interrupted Kyuhyun. “Henry, that’s the only thing I ever hear you say. Lucky this, lucky that.”

 

“Now you know my pain,” groans Ryeowook, ignoring the glares from Henry and his mutters of the different variations of the word ‘traitor.’

 

“Kyunnie!” Sungmin calls from somewhere behind the quartet.

 

“H-hyung,” said Kyuhyun starting to turn beet red. What’s he doing here? Oh right. He’s a student. Kyuhyun tried to obscure his face with the short strands of hair from his bangs – which really wasn’t working for him.

 

“You’re so cute, Kyunnie” laughs Sungmin as he patted the blushing boy in the cheek.

 

“Who the hell is that?” asks Kibum, noticing how close the two were.

 

“E-everyone this is Sungmin,” stuttered Kyuhyun. At the opportunity, he slowly moved away from the upperclassman to introduce his friends. “H-he was the one who told me about the Sapphire Club. Hyung, this is Ryeowook, Kibum and Henry.”

 

“He’s the reason you wanted to join?” Kibum mumbles, a little prickly.

 

“Hello,” said Sungmin, bestowing them with his bright smile, unfazed by Kibum’s unfriendly attitude. “Speaking of the Sapphire Club, how did it go yesterday? Did you make it?”

 

“We didn’t make it,” answered Ryeowook. He noticed both Kyuhyun and Kibum’s change in behavior, and couldn’t help feel a little confused. He looked in Henry’s direction but the boy had no change in demeanor.

 

A cough brought everyone’s attention to a man standing to the right of Sungmin. The quartet didn’t even notice there was another student in their presence, and even more so when they noticed how tall and distinct the other man’s features were. The man was tall! He had to be at least six feet tall.

 

“Oh right,” said Sungmin feeling silly he had forgotten about his friend. “This is Zhou Mi. He is also a part of the Sapphire Club.”

 

“It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance,” he bows deeply to the quartet in respect. He then proceeds to shake everyone’s hands. Sungmin just rolled his eyes at his friend’s antics.

 

“Nice to meet you!” replied Henry as energetic as ever. Henry speaks a few words in Chinese to Zhou Mi. The man in question’s eyes widen considerably, and he responds back in fluent Chinese.

 

“Sungmin hyung,” started Kyuhyun, leaving Henry and Zhou Mi to their conversation in Chinese. “Are you really sure you haven’t seen a bunny the other day?” Kyuhyun mentally slapped himself. An imaginary bunny what a wonderful conversation starter, Cho Kyuhyun.

 

“I really didn’t see any bunny the other day,” Sungmin replies. “Uh, Zhou Mi, your eye is sort of twitching…”

 

“What?” Zhou Mi asks alarmed. He moves his hand to his face and realizes that Sungmin was right. “I don’t know why, but that has been happening a lot lately. I have to go.” He then runs off in a panicked state.

 

“Oh, um,” Sungmin says a little awkwardly. “I have to go run after him to make sure he doesn’t hurt himself.” And with that, the upperclassman runs off.

 

“Bye, Hyung,” says Kyuhyun unhurriedly as he watches Sungmin leave.


“Bye, Hyung,” mocked Kibum.

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing,” says Kibum walking quickly away from the group.

               

“Kibum!” yelled Kyuhyun.

 

“Don’t worry,” said Henry, sympathetically. “He’s just jealous.”

 

“He’s what?”

 

“Huh? I didn’t say anything.”

 

 

~*~*~

 

 

“I can’t believe they made me wait! Me!” screeched Heechul. They were still waiting around in the club room for the first years.

               

“Who?” asks Donghae as he enters the room with Eunhyuk, Sungmin, and Zhou Mi trailing behind him.

 

“New members.” Yesung answered dispassionately. His amusement was waning from when he first walked into the room to see Heechul trapping Shindong in a headlock. He stuck around just in case another similar event happened.  

 

“Leeteuk hyung said he wanted to keep it a secret!” gasps Shindong from his seat in the corner. After his neck was badly mistreated by Heechul, he opted to steer clear away from the effeminate man.

 

“Who cares what he says,” sneered Heechul. He was stuck with the job to stick around just in case the first years showed up. What the hell was Leeteuk thinking! “Those four little brats are going to pay for making me wait. You two,” he said pointing at Donghae and Eunhyuk. “I want you to fetch me the new members. Now!”

 

“Hey Donghae,” grins Eunhyuk. He had a genius plan to catch the first years. “Race you to whoever finds and tells them first?” Pure. Genius.

 

“What will the winner get?” asks Donghae, interested.

 

“If you win, I’ll finally admit that fishes are better than monkeys. If I win, you admit monkeys are better than fishes.”

 

“I’m in! We’ll finally be able to end this quarrel!”

 

“Your funeral,” smirked Eunhyuk. He made a small hand gesture and from his body walked ten identical clones of himself. “I’ll definitely win,” the assembly of Eunhyuks chorused.

 

“No cheating!” whines Donghae. Blue sparks of electricity could be seen and heard dancing and crackling around Donghae’s body. A stray bolt embedded itself into one of the Eunhyuk clones which slowly dematerialized away from view.  The electricity-generating man had yet to master his abilities. Ah, what an understatement.

 

The Eunhyuk clones opened their mouths simultaneously in horror. “What, what if that was the real one,” An Eunhyuk clone stuttered.

 

“What’s going on here?” asked Leeteuk, standing in the doorway. His arms were crossed, a clear sign of his disapproval. With one single snap of his fingers the nine remaining clones disappeared from sight.

 

“We’re on a mission!” Donghae replied cheerfully, as if he didn’t ‘kill’ an Eunhyuk clone. “Why didn’t you tell us we had new members?”

 

 Leeteuk glared at Heechul.

 

“What?” Heechul asks innocently.

 

“Who are they anyway?” asked Sungmin, finally speaking up.

 

“A bunch of 1st year brats,” said Heechul, handing Sungmin the papers.

 

“Ah! I know them! They said they didn’t make it.”

 

“They did? I’m pretty sure I typed their names on the post.” mumbled Leeteuk. “So you two are going to go looking for them, right?”

 

Donghae and Eunhyuk both nodded.

 

“Then I need you to convey a message for me.” said Leeteuk.

 

 “Still want to race?” asks Donghae as they’re leaving the room. “No powers though!”

 

“The loser still has to admit which animal is better?” Donghae nodded. “Then, game on!” replied Eunhyuk.

 

After the dynamic duo’s shenanigans, Shindong wondered if he was the only sane one in the group. He also added in his prayers for normal members.

 

 

~*~*~

 

 

“Kibum,” called Kyuhyun, trying to catch up to his best friend. “Kibummie! Why are you ignoring me?” He had no idea what he did wrong to get this kind of treatment from Kibum.

 

Kibum stopped in his tracks. “Now, when did I allow you to start calling me ‘Kibummie’ ?”

 

“I just-. What are they doing?”  Kyuhyun asked. He was pointing at two students who were running and pushing each other to talk to already frightened students.

 

“You four!” yells Donghae noticing the quartet and started running towards them.  

 

“Us?” asked Kibum, eyebrows raised.

 

“I’m on a mission!” said Donghae urgently. “Do you know a Ryeowook, Kibum, Kyuhyun and Henry? If you do, don’t tell that guy!” he points at the other student, Eunhyuk, who started running towards them. “Tell it to me!”

 

 “That’s u-”

 

 “Why? What did they do?” asked Ryeowook, covering Henry’s mouth.

 

“Nothing,” answered Eunhyuk, finally reaching them. “We just need to relay a message to them.”

 

 “So do you know them?”

 

 “Yeah, they’re us!” exclaimed Henry, pushing off Ryeowook’s hand.

 

 Donghae and Eunhyuk glanced at each other. “I found them first!” said Donghae. “I win! I win!”

 

“That’s not the rules! It’s whoever finds and tells them first,” said Eunhyuk. Before Donghae was able to open his mouth he rushed the words, “Youfourmadeitintothesapphireclub.Meeting,tomorrowatlunch! HAH! I relayed the message first! So I win!”

               

 “I won! You didn’t win, because you didn’t find them first!”

               

 “No way! I won! You weren’t able to tell them first!”

 

“I won!”

 

 “No, I won!”

 

“None of you won!” yelled Henry, which shut the two up. Henry uncharacteristically rolled his eyes. “From what you both said it was a find and tell game. Since you two failed to do both, you both lose.”

 

“Can you repeat the message again? Slowly?” asked Ryeowook. He, too, was starting to get tired from the two students antics.

 

“Right,” said Donghae. “You four made the Sapphire club-”

 

“I told you!” exclaimed Henry rather smugly.

 

“-and to make up for today’s missed meeting, there is one tomorrow, same room, during lunch.”

 

“Mission completed!” said Eunhyuk. “Alright, hope to see you four tomorrow,” he added before leaving.

 

“I think I won!” said Donghae, trailing behind Eunhyuk. “I found them first and I properly relayed the message to them. So you should admit to me now that fishes are better than monkeys!”

            

“Hamsters are waaay better than fishes and monkeys combined,” muttered Henry, once the two were out of earshot. “See, I told you guys we made it. All thanks to my luck!”

               

“So we really did make it in!” Kyuhyun said excitedly. He completely ignored what Henry was saying. Now that he made it in, he’ll get to spend more time with Sungmin (not that he’ll admit it out loud).

 

“So we have to attend that meeting tomorrow,” repeated Ryeowook. He was saddened that he’ll have to miss the epicurean nourishment tomorrow. But he wouldn’t want to anger the club officers for missing the meeting – especially the rather scary-looking Vice-President.

 

“I’m not going.” Kibum said before he continued walking, not sparing a single glance to his friends.

 

 

~*~*~

 

 

“Did you find out what’s wrong,” Ryeowook asks Kyuhyun. It was the day of their club meeting and no one knew why Kibum refused.

 

“No,” answered Kyuhyun. “I kept asking him last night, but he didn’t answer.” Kyuhyun pursed his lips. Kibum was acting strange since yesterday. I hope he isn’t coming down with a cold.

 

“I wonder why he doesn’t want to join,” Henry contemplates out loud. He makes a gesture to his imaginary mustache. “I bet he’s just being bitter and jealous.”

 

Kibum whacked Henry in the back of the neck. “Guys, I’m standing right here.” The technology expert said as he rounded everyone with a glare. “And no, I’m not bitter.”

 

“But you’re jealous,” Henry smirks triumphantly. Henry has gotten bold in his teasing with Kibum. Henry won’t lie, he thinks it’s rather amusing seeing his collected friend all riled up. All jokes aside, there was still the looming question of whether or not Kibum was going to the meeting with them or not. “Kibum lunch is in an hour. You need to go with us!”

 

“You three go. I don’t understand why I need to join,” said Kibum before he left them to attend his next class.

 

Kyuhyun remained quiet. Something was definitely up with Kibum. He just doesn’t know what is bothering his best friend. “I’ll talk to –“

 

“Don’t worry, Kyuhyun, I’ll talk to him.” interrupted Ryeowook. “I have him in my next class.” Ryeowook wanted to get to bottom of this. Kibum must be worried about the consequences of meeting new people with talents, thought Ryeowook. He needed to discuss this with Kibum for both their peace of minds.

 

 

~*~*~

 

 

“Sorry, he didn’t budge,” confessed Ryeowook. His conversation with Kibum had been very enlightening. The technological-savvy boy didn’t share the same troubles as the healer did, but Ryeowook was able to ease his troubles. He just wishes that he can ease Kibum’s too.

 

“See, nothing you guys can do will change my mind.”

 

Kyuhyun sighed. All this talking was getting nowhere. I’ll have to do this the hard way. “Kibum, don’t make me force you to go,” threatened Kyuhyun.

 

“How are you going to force me, Cho Kyuhyun? You aren’t that physically fit to move me from my spot.”

 

“Kibummie, please! Don’t make me force you!”

 

“A-again with the ‘Kibummie’! I said I wasn’t going to join!” Just as Kibum finished his rant, the bell that signifies it was time for lunch went off. Kibum collected his things, ready to depart from his friends. “Good luck with the meeting…H-hey!”

 

Kibum’s left leg suddenly moved forward on its own accord. It felt as if an invisible force was manually moving his legs leaving him feeling oddly unbalanced. Kibum noted he still had control over his fingertips, arms, and toes. His legs were the only things he had little control over. Kibum tries to add resistance by firmly planting his feet to the ground, but the force was too strong. “I’m going to kill you, Kyuhyun,” he seethes.

 

“Yeah, yeah. I warned you,” says Kyuhyun matter-of-factly, but his gaze never wavered from his friend’s appendage.  He needed to keep accurate and concentrated. One slip up and he might crush his friend’s leg.   “That’s right. Left leg, then right leg, then left leg. Don’t worry, we’re almost there.”

 

“Henry, quick! Lock the door,” yells Kyuhyun once all four of them were finally inside the clubroom. He gives Kibum a light pat in the back. “That was easy wasn’t it?”

 

Kibum downright glowered at Kyuhyun.

                                                                                                                                             

“Guys,” Ryeowook interfered. “Remember where we are.”   He whispers that last bit. The quartet soon found themselves under the scrutiny of the other eleven occupants in the room. Oh wow, full house, thought Kyuhyun. 

 

“Welcome,” greeted the man named Leeteuk. “You should already know that I am the president of the Sapphire Club. The reason why we are having this meeting today is to discuss your membership. We are giving you the chance to accept or decline, to join or to leave.”

 

“Of course we want to join. That’s why we are here” says Henry. He chooses to omit the part where they had to force Kibum to come. Now, they don’t need to know that.

 

“You may think this is all fun and games,” the vice-president speaks up. He looks at each of the quartet’s faces aiming to intimidate. “But we aren’t an ordinary club. We don’t allow any normal students to join.”

 

 “He’s right. The only reason why it was only you four instead of any of the other students who ‘auditioned’ is because you have some special abilities that other people do not,” said Leeteuk cryptically. He surveyed the reactions of the four first years.

 

Henry gasped audibly. He looked at the President his eyes wide. He knew that the man had a talent. But how did they know about him. What’s going on?

 

Ryeowook’s eyes narrowed dangerously. Suspicions were running through his mind. He made a quick analysis of his surroundings taking in every possible escape route. We’re enclosed and completely outnumbered in this room.

 

Kyuhyun remained quiet. He was just as confused as Henry, but he had a much better control of his emotions. They know about us…what do they want? He glanced towards Kibum. If he knew this was going to happen. He wouldn’t have dragged him here. I’m sorry, Kibum.

 

Kibum’s face remained impassive, but his hand absentmindedly moved to hover over the metallic band on his wrist.  “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” lied Kibum. At the corner of his eye he could see Zhou Mi’s face twitch.

 

“Sure you do,” the dark-skinned man, Yesung, spoke up, “You see I have special abilities, too. I’m pretty sure you four were confused about that time during try outs. Whatever comes in contact with this hand,” he holds out his gloved left hand. “I can see the past of. And on my right hand, I can see the future. Past things you’ve done and future things you will do, I already know.”

 

“So what of it?” challenged Kyuhyun. He moved forward to stand beside Kibum. “How do we this isn’t all a farce?”

 

“We’re not trying to blackmail or threaten you,” reassured Leeteuk. He directed this not only as a reassurance to the quartet but as warnings to the other occupants in the room.  “As a matter of fact, everyone in this room has special abilities, too. You’re secret is safe with us.”

 

“What happened to you being able to detect other’s powers?” Ryeowook whispered irately to Henry. This all could have been avoided if they were a bit more careful. A bit more cautious. Ryeowook felt guilty immediately, he knew he shouldn’t be blaming Henry.

 

“I’m not good at it yet,” defended Henry, he puts his hands up as emphasis. Truth be told, Henry was a little frustrated with himself, too. How could he not have noticed a group of talents.

 

“That is also one of the reasons the Sapphire Club exist. Learning to control and harness your abilities. Also, we feel strongly about putting those abilities to good use. I’m pretty sure you four have heard about SJ? Well, that is one of the aliases we hold.”

 

“Why are you telling us this?” asked Kibum. Everything about this whole ordeal was just too suspicious. “How do you know we aren’t just going to tell the school authorities about this or the government?”

 

“You four would go against us eleven,” snorted Heechul. “I may not know about the powers you four hold, but I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want to go against us.”

 

“We could stand our own ground.”

 

“But there wouldn’t be any need for that,” said Yesung speaking up again. “I could see the future, and I know you wouldn’t be telling anyone.”

 

“How could you be so sure? The future can change anytime.”  

 

“You got lots of fight in you. I like that,” smirked Yesung which took Kibum by surprise.

 

“Back to the matter at hand,” said Leeteuk shooting Yesung a look. “We aren’t forcing you to join. This is what this meeting is for. We’re giving you a choice whether or not you want to join. If you do not want to, we won’t hold it against you if you leave. We only ask that you keep what we just told you a secret.” Honesty and sincerity were shining clearly in his eyes.

 

 “Leave? Why would I leave? This sounds so cool,” exclaimed Henry. That was all he needed to know. This man and his friends were risking their safety and security to a bunch of first years. They’re facing risks trusting us. People like us. “Of course I’m still in! And Ryeowook is, too.”

 

“Henry, what are you doing?” hisses Ryeowook. “And what are you sayi—“Before Ryeowook could complete his sentence, he was yanked fiercely by Henry. Their eyes locked and there was something in Henry’s facial expression that left no room for refusal. Trust. Me. Ryeowook felt like his only choice was to comply with the boy’s wishes. You better be right about this, Henry.

 

The boy in question then looked expectantly at his two other friends.

 

“I’m not sure yet,” Kyuhyun answers slowly more to himself than to the people in the room. He looks to Kibum for reassurance. “I think I, we need more time.”

 

“Common’ Kyunnie,” pouted Sungmin. He walked up to Kyuhyun and took both of the boy’s hand into his own. “I saw what you can do. You will be a big help to us. And to me.” The last sentence was said in a whisper audible only to Kyuhyun.

 

“S-sure, I’ll give this club a try,” stammers Kyuhyun. He blushed immediately from the skin contact and the upperclassman’s close proximity. He allows himself to be pulled by Sungmin to a seat. He looks back at Kibum. In that split-second, he saw something flash through Kibum’s normally stoic face. Kyuhyun couldn’t decipher what it meant; it happened so quickly that Kyuhyun wasn’t sure if it was just a trick of the light.

 

Kibum glared at nothing but the walls straight ahead. He didn’t want to watch his best friend be lulled in by that guy. He didn’t want to witness how his friend turns into a love-struck idiot whenever that guy was involved. He just couldn’t. 

 

“I’m not joining,” Kibum finally says aloud. He was surprised with how firm his voice came out. He curtly bowed to his seniors and left the room. He ignored the mixed looks his friends had sent him. His hands were clenching the front of his shirt. I didn’t know it would hurt so much.

 

“Kibum,” Kyuhyun called out worryingly. He was standing up now; ready to run after his friend. But before he could do or say anything Kangin began to speak.

 

“Four o clock sharp. Meet up with us at the front of the school,” he said, eyeing the three new members. “Since you three decided to join, you’ll be involved in our ‘little activities.’ We need to see how strong you three are and how long you would last.” A smirk could be seen on the Vice-President’s face. “Think of it as some kind of assessment test.”

 

The three first years gulped. The way the vice-president said those words frightened them a little. It was like he was holding some unknown grudge towards them. Ryeowook’s mind ventured to yesterday’s supposed meeting. That must explain the hostilities. I would be mad too if I had to miss the school’s divine food.

 

“An assessment test?” Henry asked. He felt a little nervous himself. They probably meant fighting or sparring, and he wasn’t very keen on fighting.

 

“It’s nothing too serious,” reassured Leeteuk. “We’re just testing your power, that’s all.” He glanced down at his watch. “Oh, it’s almost time for classes to start. Meeting has ended you may leave.”

 

“You better show up, after school! If you make me wait again, you’re so dead!” threatened Heechul pointing his finger at the three retreating backs of the first years.

 

“Ah, the reaction this year was amusing,” said Yesung as he stretched his arms. “I can’t wait to see how they’d react later.”

 

“Don’t you already know, hyung?”

 

Yesung just flashed a smile to the electricity manipulator.

 

 

End of Chapter 3.

 

A/N: Ahh, Kyuhyun is completely smitten by Sungmin. Poor Kibum. He’s the odd man out. And Ryeowook really is over cautious. Maybe something happened in his past to make him this way? Hmm, maybe...

Until next chapter! Thanks for reading~! :DDD

Love,

Spring Samurai