Talents

The Sapphire Club

 

Chapter 1.

 

 

August 2011.

 

“Kibum, shouldn’t you be paying attention?” Kyuhyun whispered to his friend.

 

“I’m bored.” Kibum replies, looking down at the screen of his electronic device. Kibum seemed to be just poking and jabbing at random buttons. He also noted that the students surrounding him were either dozing off or talking amongst each other – the speaker was completely ignored.

 

The two were both seated in an auditorium jam-packed with students for their first-day-of school-1st Year-assembly. Yes, that was a mouthful.

 

“You made a new gadget? I want to see!” Kyuhyun asks, suddenly taking interest with Kibum's new “toy.” He tried to grab the device, but his attempts were in vain -- Kibum pushed his hands away at every moment. “Don't tell me you're playing a game? You know how I love games.”

 

Kyuhyun continues to grab the electronic only to be countered by Kibum. “Common’ I just wanna see!” Kyuhyun whines. “Fine.” He said suddenly, “I'll have to resort to this.” Kyuhyun slowly uncurled his hand and with his other hand, made a small motion towards the gadget. As he was doing this, the gadget slowly floated to Kyuhyun's open hand.

 

“What the hell are you doing?” Kibum hisses, after he takes a quick glance around to see if anyone saw the stunt Kyuhyun had pulled.

 

“Everyone in a close radius is asleep” Kyuhyun shrugged, “Nobody likes to listen to these kinds of assemblies. I wish you would create something more effective, like a time machine or something.” Kyuhyun started turning the device over and started poking at the device, unsure how it works. After a few minutes of scanning the device, he found the 'on' button, but each time he clicked it on, it would immediately blink off.

 

“Kibum!”

 

“What?” Kibum smiled innocently. With a wave of his hand, the device disassembled itself from Kyuhyun's hands. The screws, wires, and scraps of metal were all slowly moving back to Kibum's lap where it reassembled itself with great accuracy. With the device back in his hands, Kibum gave Kyuhyun a smug grin.

 

“Whatever. It must have contained those kinds of things. I'm a good boy,” Kyuhyun replied mischievously. Kibum must not have got the hint, so Kyuhyun added, “you know....” At the word, Kibum face flushed red as he started refuting the claim. The only response from Kyuhyun was laughter.

 

Even though they love to bicker with each other, Kibum and Kyuhyun are close friends. They lived in the same neighborhood, attended the same elementary school, middle school, and now the same high school, and to their luck, share the same dorm room (“Woohoo,” Kyuhyun says in a monotone voice). Though, being together every single day wasn't the only reason they were close; the two shared secret abilities. Kyuhyun has telekinetic abilities; while Kibum could create, destroy, and control electronics. Ever since that discovery, they’ve been closer friends; sworn to protect their secret.

 

A prickling feeling brought Kyuhyun back to his senses. It was that strange awareness that occurs when you feel as if someone is staring at you. Kyuhyun glanced back, there was a boy with light-brown hair – almost gold – looking at him. What the...Kyuhyun held eye contact with him for a few seconds before the other boy turned away. He gave one last glance at the boy, but was soon distracted with the conversation of the students seated behind him.

 

Confused, Kyuhyun turned to Kibum and asked, “What is SJ?”

 

“What?”

 

“What is SJ? I overheard the people behind us.”

 

Kibum stared at Kyuhyun as if Kyuhyun was an alien. “Cho Kyuhyun, do you not own a TV? Have you been living under a rock over the summer?”

 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes. “Just answer my question.”

 

“You know that bank robbery that happened a week ago?” Kibum paused, checking if Kyuhyun was following. Kyuhyun just nodded in response. “Well, the police had a tip about the robbers’ whereabouts. When they arrived, they found the four robbers unconscious, tied up, and the money neatly placed on a counter. Taped on one of the robber’s head was a card with sapphire letters, ‘SJ.’ Seems like they’ve been solving crimes for the past year, and absolutely no one knows the identity of SJ.”

 

“He's like a vigilante super hero or something?” Kyuhyun concluded, “And, Kibum, I do own a television.” Kibum only rolled his eyes.

 

Throughout the rest of the assembly, Kyuhyun had fallen asleep, head resting on Kibum's shoulder. Kibum didn't seem to mind, or was already used to it, because he continued to play with his gadget. As if nothing happened.

 

“I hope you all will enjoy the school's endless opportunities. Rest up, tomorrow will be start of your education!” The School's Head words signaled the end of the assembly.

 

“It’s over already?” Kyuhyun yawned, raising his arms above his head to stretch. “I had such a good-” He paused. That feeling again. Kyuhyun discreetly looked around to find that the boy was staring at him again. They kept eye contact again until the “stalker” (“What? I have nothing else to call him,” said Kyuhyun, shrugging his shoulders) was interrupted by another student – his friend, probably.

 

As soon as the stalker was distracted, Kyuhyun gave Kibum a nudge, “Kibum, that guy keeps staring at me...or us.”

 

“Where?”

 

“The one carrying the violin case. He's talking with that other guy.”

 

“You’re probably just imagining thing.” Kibum said, as the two strangers started to walk farther away from them.

 

“I'm serious. He was also staring at us in the auditorium!”

 

Kibum pulled Kyuhyun to the side, away from all the students who would pass by. “Do you think he saw what we did?” Kibum asked, his worry increasing. This was the kind of thing he worried could happen. He didn’t want people to discover about him or Kyuhyun. Kibum was unsure of the consequences but he knows things wouldn’t go well if people did find out.

 

Kyuhyun, seeing the distress in Kibum's face, tried to reassure his friend. “Don’t worry, Kibum. He probably didn't see anything. If he did, don't you think he would be acting a little frightened?”

 

“You think that’s going to make me feel better?”

 

“Let’s just not worry about it; he probably just fell for my drop-dead-gorgeous-good looks.” Kyuhyun joked, resting his arm against Kibum's shoulders.

 

“I didn't know you were this narcissistic, Kyuhyun!” Kibum rolled his eyes, but laughed anyway. Then they both started laughing down the hallway appearing like maniacs to the other students.

 

~*~*~

 

“Henry!” Ryeowook called out. He ran over to his friend and gave him a swift hit on the head, “Didn’t you know it’s bad to stare? The assemblies over, what are you doing over here?”

 

“I need to make sure.” Henry responded ambiguously. He hadn't reacted to Ryeowook's attack; he was still looking at a certain pair of students.

 

“What are you talking about? Let’s walk this way. We're blocking everyone’s way.” Ryeowook guided Henry through the traffic of students. Henry was too busy staring at the two unknown students. Ryeowook was able to lead him to an isolated spot next the lockers, away from the straying eyes and eavesdropping ears.

 

“I noticed two!” Henry exclaimed, suddenly bringing his attention to Ryeowook.

 

“Welcome back to Earth.” Ryeowook stifled a chuckle. Henry looked as if he just accomplished the most difficult task in the world. Ryeowook reconsidered his response, not wanting to make fun of his friend. He continued with a neutral answer, “So, that’s what all the staring was about.”

 

Ryeowook mused on his friend's talent. Henry was able to sense whether someone had talent – the kinds of talents which are out of the ordinary. If Henry wanted to find out what kind of abilities a person had, he had to concentrate hard -- hence the staring. Then a second thought hit him, Henry just found other people with talents. It's not as if the thought never occurred to Ryeowook, of course there would be other people, besides Ryeowook and Henry, with talents. Maybe we should keep our distance. It doesn't hurt to be cautious around them, Ryeowook decided. He then turned his attention back to his friend who he hadn't realize was still talking.

 

“Well, I wasn’t able to discover what ability they had,” said Henry, throwing his fist into the air. “But I am determined to be their friend!”

 

There goes keeping our distance. Ryeowook didn't want to be around the other two students. He didn't know what kind of people they are. It's best if we kept away from them. “I think with all the staring you did, it’s probably unlikely,” Ryeowook responded harshly. “Why do you even want to befriend them?”

 

“Remember, I’m lucky!” Henry smiled completely oblivious to the edge in Ryeowook's voice. “Plus, we need more friends in this school! Our talents can be the bridge over awkwardness.” He then grabbed an unwilling Ryeowook and started running down the hallway.

 

~*~*~

 

Later that Evening…

 

Kibum and Kyuhyun spent the day navigating their way around the school. A much needed distraction, thought Kibum. He really didn’t like what happened at the assembly, and he didn’t like this feeling of helplessness. The two had no way of knowing whether their suspicions were true or not.  They just had to wait. And that’s exactly what Kibum hated.

 

“What an amazing way to start the school year,” he muttered as the pair neared their dorm room.  

 

“Did you say something?” asked Kyuhyun.

 

“Just thinking.”

 

“You’re thinking about this morning aren’t you?”

 

Kibum just stared at his friend, “How did –“

 

“How did I know?” He smirked, “Oh please, Kibum. You can’t hide anything from me.”

 

You don’t know everything, Kibum thought bitterly. “Okay you got me. I’m just worried. I didn’t feel anything, but you did. I think he knows about you and not me. I might just be paranoid, but I can’t stand to lose another important person in my life.”

 

The boys’ eyes flickered momentarily at the picture framed near Kibum’s bed. Kyuhyun was the first to recover. So this is where this all stemmed from, thought Kyuhyun, who looked at his friend sadly.

 

“Kibum,” started Kyuhyun, not knowing where to start. He unconsciously took hold of his friend’s hand. “I’m not going anywhere. That guy didn’t even look dangerous. I know how to put up a fight remember. Plus, you’re there to add the extra punch. I’m completely safe.”

 

Kyuhyun looked Kibum in the eyes and smiled reassuringly, “For some reason, we’re always attracted to danger. I would find it abnormal if everything was just normal.”

 

Kibum laughed in response, “you’re right, I was just worrying a tad too much. And I believe we should get some shut-eye or we’re going to have to face the dangers of a teacher’s wrath.”

 

A comfortable silence washed over the two as they quickly prepared themselves for bed. Kibum looked over to his friend’s bed. Kyuhyun was fast asleep. Goodnight, Kyuhyun. He then turned to the picture frame on his table. Goodnight, hyung.  

 

~*~*~

 

The Next Day…

 

Everything is now back to abnormal, thought Kyuhyun. They were in the gym, Kyuhyun was chatting away while Kibum kept his attention to his electronic device. His attention on the - not listening to me - “Yah! I’m talking to –”

 

“Cho Kyuhyun, no talking! Kim Kibum, you better put that away before I confiscate it. Electronics are not allowed in the gym!” yelled the teacher. He was dressed like the stereotypical gym teacher. He had an average height, but his body was bulky from his muscles. He was wearing a white t-shirt, a pair of bright orange shorts, and rubber shoes. Of course, his look of intimidation wouldn't be complete without a whistle and that military haircut. “Stand in attention!”

 

“Yessir.” Kyuhyun responded, giving his gym teacher a mock salute.

 

Kyuhyun hated the fact that their first class on the first day of school was Physical Education, and he was pretty sure Kibum would agree. The two aren’t the so-called athletic type. The only sport Kyuhyun played and was very adamant about was video games. And Kyuhyun was going to recite a good ten minute speech in his mind if he hadn't seen the two students running into the court.

 

“Kibum, it's the stalker!” Kyuhyun pointed as the two students ran closer to the bleachers.

 

“Sorry! Sorry!” yelled the two students as they reached their spot next to a cautious Kyuhyun. They tried to block out the voice of their fuming teacher. But, alas, the teacher ended up scolding them for their immaturity.

 

Now that they were at a closer distance, Kyuhyun was able to study the face of his “stalker,” of course, conspicuously. His mannerisms were different from that of a person who wanted to destroy his life. He looked like he had a carefree demeanor, excluding his hair that was styled into an upward fashion. Now that Kyuhyun thought about it, the boy had a foreign and almost innocent look. Then, there was his raven-haired friend. The friend had a small stature, but his facial features and expression were sharp. Kyuhyun wasn't sure if he should be afraid of him instead of his “stalker.”

 

~*~*~

 

“See? Lucky! We're in the same class as them,” Henry whispered to Ryeowook once their teacher was no longer scolding them. They moved a small distance away from their “prey” to talk (which made them even more suspicious to Kyuhyun).

 

Ryeowook didn't reply. He was still opposed to the idea of befriending the other two. He made sure to display a menacing side, hopefully, to scare away the two from even trying to befriend them. What if they aren't what you think, Henry? Think of the dangers. Ryeowook didn't want to think himself as a killjoy or something of that sort. He was the practical one. You can't just trust people you don't know, especially with abnormal talents.

 

The gym was quietly being filled with an ominous atmosphere. The students were getting agitated; this feeling is exactly one of a battlefield. Ironically, the ones creating the atmosphere were completely unaware. There was Kyuhyun's suspicions and Kibum's anxiousness in one side, and there Henry’s over-eagerness and Ryeowook's hostile – almost deadly – attitude in the other side.

 

“Alright everyone, grab a basketball and get into groups of four!” the gym teacher ordered. “We'll practice those passes and see if you girls actually have any skill! Get a move on! Those who aren't in groups in two minutes will have to run laps!”

 

Kyuhyun quickly stood next to Kibum.

 

Kyuhyun watched as every one of his classmates started clumping into groups. The teacher's countdown can be heard in the background. Kibum quickly looked around for two more members. The only two who weren't in a group were Ryeowook and Henry. Oh God, why am I so unlucky, thought Kyuhyun.

 

~*~*~

 

“Oh, I’m so lucky!” Henry whispered to Ryeowook as he started walking towards the last two remaining students. A reluctant Ryeowook silently followed – afraid of the teacher's consequences.

 

~*~*~

 

“I guess we have no choice, Kyuhyun.” He whispered, “It’s them or the wrath of the teacher. I have feeling this will give us the opportunity to see what he really is.”

 

They did their small introductions, consisting of very little words and a pound of awkwardness. Soon they began quietly passing the basketball around. Kibum and Kyuhyun kept cautious. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. Henry and Ryeowook didn’t mention anything about their secret. Maybe they were just being paranoid.

 

~*~*~

 

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, thought Ryeowook. No development has happened that would make Ryeowook doubt the pair. But I won't let my guard down just yet.

 

“I’ll get it!” Henry said as the basketball rolled out of court into the bleachers. “Ryeowook come with me!” The boy in question just rolled his eyes and stood firm on his spot. Henry, not the person to give up, showed obvious hand gestures to relay 'I need to talk with you, just come!'

 

~*~*~

 

“Why do you need me to get a ball?” Ryeowook said picking up the basketball. He decided to follow the boy when Henry looked as if he was going to hurt himself by his rapid display have hand gestures.

 

“How should I bring up the topic of our, you know, talents?” Henry asked, standing on the side, looking up. It was one of his habits when nervous or anxious. He would usually stare at something, until an answer came to him or until his nerves were calmed. “We need something to happen.

 

“Aren’t you over thinking this? Just talk to them.”

 

“Gimme' the ball,” said Henry. He held the ball and just stared at it, then at the basket, then at the ball again. “If this goes in, I’ll just talk to them.”

 

He concentrated on the basket and gave the ball a good throw. The ball flew to the basket, leaving a hopeful Henry. But the outcome wasn't expected: the ball bounced off the rim and flew with force straight to its new target – Kyuhyun. Henry just stared, mouth wide-open, as the impact's force caused Kyuhyun to fall to the ground. “Oops.”

 

“I’m so sorry!” Henry yelled as he ran over to him, repeating the word 'sorry' how many times over.

 

Kyuhyun made no reply. He kept all his strength on keeping Kibum from pouncing on the apologetic boy. “It was an accident. I’m fine,” he repeated to Kibum reassuringly.

 

~*~*~

 

He spent the rest of the class sitting it out on the bleachers. He had mild scrape on his knee from his fall. The pain was bearable. He didn’t care if the coach called him a wimp. As long as Kyuhyun didn’t sweat he was okay.

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Henry asked. Class was over and they were walking back to their dorm rooms, which they realized was right next to each other. How they missed each other each morning or each night was a mystery. “It’s bleeding! Look!”

 

“I’m alright, it’s only a scrape.” reassured Kyuhyun. It seems there was no more awkwardness between the four, if there was, it was faint. Ryeowook felt partly guilty for Kyuhyun's injuries. People's injury always had Ryeowook feel guilty. And Kibum stopped with his hostilities once he realized how apologetic Henry was. Maybe, we were all a bit too paranoid.

 

~*~*~

 

As the four were a few steps away from their dorm rooms, Henry exclaimed, “Ryeowook can help. He has a talent in healing!” He pushed Ryeowook towards Kyuhyun. Ryeowook only glared at Henry. I can't believe he's selling out my talent first!

 

“Go ahead.” Kyuhyun said unlocking the door to his room. There was no harm in making the boy bandage up his wounds. He and Kibum never really thought of stocking up with bandages or antibiotics, and it's a perfect opportunity to learn how to do it right.

 

Ryeowook ushered Kyuhyun to the bed. God, Henry. There's no way to refuse, He’s just going to keep insisting. He kept serious and silent as he examined the wound. He placed his hand over Kyuhyun’s injured knee. Kyuhyun had no idea what Ryeowook was doing, or if this was the “healing” Henry was talking about. Ryeowook just concentrated on the wound, his lips pursed into a tight line. After a few seconds, Ryeowook removed his hand. “There you go.”

 

There was no wound, or trace of there ever being a scrape.

 

Kyuhyun stared at his knee, and then back to Ryeowook. A look of surprise etched on his face; what had he just witnessed? Henry stood in his spot. He had a smile plastered on his face and excitement and anticipation shone brightly in his eyes. Ryeowook stayed quiet, he watched Kyuhyun and Kibum with an unreadable expression.  Kibum was just as amazed as Kyuhyun, but was able to keep a firm control of his emotions.

 

“I’ve been wondering how to bring this topic up,” started Henry, wistfully, as he walked across the room to his friend. He kept his eyes on the ceiling as he walked -- a clear sign of his nervousness. “Ryeowook can heal!”

 

“Thank you, Captain,” said Ryeowook sarcastically.

 

“Why would you want to reveal this to us?” Kibum asked, suddenly out of his trance and his expression hard. Suspicions were stirring inside his mind. His glare was piercing; Henry couldn't keep eye contact any longer.

 

“We mean no harm. We want to be your friends! Don't you guys have talents, too?” reassured Henry. Things were not going as planned. Before he could stop himself he blurted, “You can’t lie, because I can sense that you two do have powers.” Henry covered his mouth with his hands immediately after the words escaped his mouth. He didn’t intend for his voice to sound so stern.

 

 “So, this was part of your plan.” Kibum replied coldly. Slowly, Kibum felt for the metallic band on his wrist.

 

“No, no! It was an accident. Or I think it was!”

 

“You think?” asked Kyuhyun skeptically. 

 

“It’s because I have a second talent, luck.” Henry started, “I needed a way to find to talk about our talents, and maybe that basketball rebounding was part of my luck? See, were talking about it. It's a perfect icebreaker.” Henry was babbling now. His plan was backfiring on him, and he never intended to make himself their enemy.

 

Ryeowook saw the distress in his friend and he decided it was time to intervene. “Look,” he said, his voice firm and his eye contact never wavering. “Henry is the last person on Earth you should feel threatened by. He couldn't harm anything even if he wanted to.” He reiterated that statement by pointing Kyuhyun's and Kibum's attention to Henry who was vigorously nodding his head to what Ryeowook as saying. “Kyuhyun, you getting hurt was just an accident. Henry's bad at aim. He just wanted new friends.”

 

“Well, you guys did heal my wound, and it would be nice to have other friends other than Kibum.” Kyuhyun smiled and turned to his friend, giving him a reassuring smile. “It's okay,” he whispered. “If anything happens we can stand our own ground.”

 

“Fine,” Kibum finally said, not just directed to Henry but also to Kyuhyun. “Since you guys trust us with your secret, we’ll entrust you with ours.”

 

~*~*~

 

After the four's dramatic scene in the dorm room, they decided to replenish their strength and satisfy their hunger and thirst with a visit to the cafeteria. This school's caterer was renowned to make the best food, similar to that of a five-star restaurant. “That's the only reason I decided to attend this school,” shared Ryeowook. “Having those kinds of meals every day is heaven!”

 

They were sharing things about themselves to help get to know each other better. The cafeteria was a long walk away from the 1st Year Dorms. “You’re telekinetic? That’s so cool.” Henry exclaimed, “And you created that?” He pointed, amazed, at the device belted on Kibum’s waist. “I really am lucky! We made such cool friends!” He said to Ryeowook who was still fantasizing on the food he was going to eat.

 

The moment they entered the cafeteria, there was no missing the large crowd surrounding one of the tables. The crowd was made up of most of the school's population – both girls and guys of different years. Students were pushing and pulling each other out of the way just to get a look at something or someone. Girls and guys were screeching, screaming, and chanting these words over and over: “HEECHUL! I LOVE YOU!!”

 

“Okay. What is this sick, lovey-dovey atmosphere?” asked Kibum.

 

End of Chapter 1

 

A/N: 

Enter Heechul's fanbase. How can a guy make a crowd so crazy? I wouldn't want that kind of crowd hanging around me. D: 

This Heechul fellow must be really strong, Well, that's it for now!  Thanks again for reading! :D