Pre-Production

We are The Cupid!

 

 

 

Dongwook flipped the reading material that he's been reading for few minutes already. He took a break from reading and drifted his attention to people inside the room. Everyone is reading the script with different expression. Some were reading while frowning and some were having giddy smile. He can't help to smile.

 

At least, i'm not the only person who is interested with this show.

 

The man with stage name "SE7EN" then continued his reading when Park Mi Ran, the script writer and also YGE's creative mind grabbed the microphone while stood up, ready for her big presentation. Everyone got alerted with this sudden move, they also stop reading and now turn to face the lady that standing in the front of the room. Mi Ran's assistant already opened the slide show of the presentation. Everyone watched in interest for the slide show is designed with attractive design. The first page showed a simple sentence such as 'YG Entertainment presents...' with bold letters. But that simple sentence managed to draw more interest and curiosity from people who look at it.

 

"Good afternoon ladies and gentleman. I'm here to explain the detailed format of this new show. So let's take a look at this slide show, shall we?" Mi Ran then nodded to her assistant who also nodded in understanding manner and she then clicked the next button. The slide show then showed the show's name and its tagline.

 

"YG Entertainment presents 'WE ARE THE CUPID!', a reality show that you've never watched before. It's not a typical matchmaking show kinda like, and obviously not just some ordinary creating romance show. It's a reality show where two teams battled for the title of the best cupid."

Gasped and murmur can be heard once again in the meeting room. But this time, everyone clearly showed their interest toward the show. It's indeed interesting.  Mi Ran tried to hide her smile. She's definitely liking everyone's expression. “The show will be aired for eight trial episodes, and depending on the response, it might be continued on a regular basis like MBC’s We Got Married. The details could be read in the proposal you all have in your hands right now, but in short, this reality show will focus on two teams, each consisted of  a girl and a boy.”

 

Mi Ran took a pause as her assistant clicked on the mouse and the screen displayed the next slide. The genius planner, or so Mi Ran was often considered, continued with her explanation. “The two teams, Team A and Team B will compete against each other. The girl and the boy from Team A must work together and find ways to matchmake the girl and the boy from Team B, and vice versa. The winning team is the team who is successful in matchmaking the girl and boy from the other team.”

 

Kim Joo Won, YG Entertainment Performance Director, raised his hand to ask the question. “How do we determine the winning team? I mean, how do we determine which team is successfully matchmade by the other team?”

Dongwook averted his attention back to Mi Ran, who only smilingly replied, “It will be decided by audience’s polling. The temporary result for an episode will be revealed in the beginning of the next episode.”

 

Joo Won asked again, “There are only going to be two teams competing against each other?”

 

“For the first eight trial episodes, yes, there are only going to be two teams.”

 

More technical questions arose: In which TV station will this show be aired? What about the sponsors? Will the show be totally scripted or will it be left upon the teams’ spontaneity? And more other questions. BIGBANG's maknae noticed how calm Mi Ran was in answering each of the questions. He found himself getting excited. As everyone know, Seungri is actually love when he guested in variety shows. Talking is his hidden skill. He knew very well what to response and how to handle the atmosphere. There's a reason why YG Entertainment is more focusing on its music, it's not only because the company is mostly filled with music freaks, but those music freaks are actually quite scared and don't know how to react in front of the camera, especially in a formatted show. That's why they prefered documentary show more because they didn't need to act that much in that kind of show. They can showed their true self. Of course there are also the rules, but at least it's not suffocated them as much as formatted show is. That's why Seungri really excited when he heard this project for the first time. Earlier he insisted his hyungs that he wants to take part in this show. He's really confident in his matchmaking skill.

 

The YGE's founder suddenly spoke to support Mi Ran who was bombarded by too many questions that day. “We will use the members from BIGBANG and 2NE1 for the eight trial episodes. As you all know, the initiation of this show is not entirely for profit but for a long-term image of YGE’s artists.”

 

Once again, gasped and murmur can be heard and even louder than before. CL can't help to hissed under her breath. Somehow she has a bad feeling about it, and by bad she means really bad.

 

“If this show is a matchmaking show, then won’t it make more scandals if we use BIGBANG and 2NE1? We already went into a lot of troubles to evade all those scandals… and now it’s like we’re admitting all those scandals. And foremost, why must it be BIGBANG and 2NE1?” another woman asked and Jiyong found himself uncomfortable all so sudden. He knew that his group and 2NE1 were often claimed as YGE’s most prized assets… and not all people were pleased with that. Also their group were often getting paired by their fans and causing scandals. They are all actually aware of it. The company is actually only released official article regarding that rumor, stated that their artists are only label mate and there's strictly "no dating in-house" rules.

 

Yang Hyunsuk laughed. "Yes, we’re getting too tired to deny all those rumors, right? But scandals do not always mean bad news. As people from an entertainment industry, we all know that. That’s why we’re using a reversed psychology. Just look at the outcome of We Got Married’s show. The show is prone to creating scandals, but what the show gains is only more fans… and high rating, of course.”

 

“But…what about the fans? Some of BIGBANG fans might… hurt 2NE1 girls for stealing their idols…” It was one of 2NE1’s managers, Jjangme, who spoke. Dongwook knew that the girls’ manager was a very cautious man who cared about the girls very much. Among all YGE’s artists, SNSD was often the one bashed the most although of course, at the same time, loved the most by the others.

 

“I understand your fear, Jjangme. But the fans are actually one of the reasons why I strongly support this reality show. We cannot deny that some of VIPs hate 2NE1, and some Blackjacks hate BIGBANG. It’s such a sad fact since both groups are within one same management and how both 2NE1 and BIGBANG befriend each other very well. This, also supposedly answer your earlier question, Ah Yeon, of why this show will focus on 2NE1 and BIGBANG. At least, for the first eight trial episodes."

 

“But… isn’t this show still a little risky?”

 

“But worth the try, right?” Yang Hyunsuk spoke in an authority only a person like him could say. The king of troll has activated his serious mode and once again no one dared to questioned him. Nobody rebutted him afterwards.

 

“Then… we’re going to get into today’s meeting’s main topic. Which members will we cast for this show?”

 

The YGE’s chairman suddenly looked at Dongwook and smiled at him, “Dongwook-yah, you have any recommendation?”

 

Dongwook can't help but smirked at his boss who he's considered as his own hyung. "Me, hyung? You sure?"

 

"Yeah, im planning to make you as the commentator, since you know, you're already an expert regarding this issue. And beside, we both knew very well why i asked you." The king of troll back on his trolling mode. Dongwook caught his boss is also smirked at him.

 

"Well, i have some in mind actually." From his peripheral vision he could see that his dongsaengs are getting pale all of sudden. He chuckled a bit. "But i think it's better if BIGBANG and 2NE1 members are not presented during the selection though"

 

"Hahaha, that's exactly my plan, Dongwook-ah! I really can count on you!"

YG then faced his artists, well only BIGBANG and 2NE1 to be exact, he coughed a little bit. "You guys know what i'm gonna say next, right?" he said while smirked at them. That infamous smirked makes Dara feels uncomfortable all of sudden.

 

Dongwook better not choose me, or Hanbyul will be crying over her fiancee's dead body later.

 

The boys and the girls then excused themselves.


 

For the next hour, the debate among the YGE creative teams still occurred. Yang Hyunsuk and several other high ranking men had taken their leaves, including all YGE's artists except SE7EN who still insisted to stay, alongside with Teddy and Kush. And as intriguing the discussion about who would star in YGE’s newest program WE ARE THE CUPID! wasa decision had not been reached.

 

“How about maknae and maknae?”

 

“We can't. Considering Minzy's age, she's not yet reached the legal age. Beside, he and Seungri won't have that kind of chemistry. She's too innocent to getting paired with Seungri.”

 

“Then what about TOP? His achievement as actor and not to mention his reputation being the face of the group would attract more fans!”

 

“But with who?”

 

Dongwook watched the scene in amusement as the people in the room shouted out different names for his little Choi brother. Trust Mr. Choi to be one of the favorite choices. TOP always looked good with whoever he was paired up with. But suddenly TOP's manager cut all of them, “We can't! I just checked his schedule, he's just signed a film contract. He'll start his filming next month. The schedule of his filming, BIGBANG's world tour, and this show will kill him for sure!”

 

“Hmm, what about the leaders? CL and G-Dragon? The swaggest couple? Their duet have been proven to steal fans’ attention back then. Their fanbase called them SkyDragon couple!”

 

Dongwook's ears perked up at this.

 

Oh no, they can't ruin my plan!

 

“Nah, sorry to say this but they don't have such kind of chemistry to be a couple. I mean, their aura, it's just too strong. If it's for stage performance collaboration then i'll vote for them. But couple? I can't even potray the image in my mind”, Jiyong's manager, Kim Nam Gook, finally stated his opinion.

 

Dongwook tried his best to hide his giddy smile. Nam Gook then winked at him, he then mouthed “good job” to Nam Gook before compose himself before his first try to meddle with this hot discussion.

 

“But CL is 2NE1's icon, so does G-Dragon who is BIGBANG's icon!” another woman retorted back.

 

“But isn't that too mainstream? Too predictable? Where's the fun then?” Dongwook finally spoken.

 

Teddy realized what Dongwook's intention is, then he also join along to convince the staff. “That's exactly my thought. I don't know anything about variety show, but all i know is a little drama is a must in every show, right?”

 

“I know right, hyung?!” Dongwook winked at him.

 

“Who's your choice then, Dongwook-ah?”

 

“I've been thinking for Dara and Jiyong couple actually” Dongwook smirked while moving his brows up and down. He's been planning for that since he heard the news for the first time. Hanbyul has been bugging him to matchmake those two lately. Well, not to mention that he also able to see some sparks between the two. He kind of was curious to find out what was the company’s position regarding the most scandalous couple in the company this time.

 

Nah, that’s impossible. Do you know how hard it was to conceal their scandal last time? We’re not digging our graves back.”

 

Dongwook laughed casually, though the statement made him more disappointed than he thought he would. He silently been rooting for those to since day one after all. Another voiced out in his favor. “Ah come on… Boss said it’s okay to meddle with scandals. That’s kind of the aim of this show, right?”

 

Well, true that. And not to mention that they also the most loved couple in the company. Let's give it a try.”

 

But isn't it kind of easy to guess as well? I mean, after their collab back then, we all know how popular Daragon couple is, right? Their fanbase is the largest among all couples' fanbases in the company you know!”

 

That's the catch! They will definitely attracts fans' attention right?”

 

But still... too predictable...”

 

"By the way, who do you think suits the most to tame the baddest female?”

 

"Oh how bout Seungri?”

 

Are you serious? They're always bickering to each other!”

 

Well, that makes it interesting, doesn’t it?”

 

Hey, don’t forget about Bom. She has been showing her funny side on cam lately. It will be pretty hilarious if we put her in the show.”

 

Bom… I agree. But who should we pair her up with?”

 

“TOP? TOPBOM is the new trend nowadays. They also has their own fanbase, their reputation even beats GBOM couple”

 

Didn’t we have the argument that those kind of pairing would be too easy to guess? And beside, TOP have his filming schedule already!”

 

Well, we haven’t reached a conclusion to that particular topic anyway. But let’s put those aside. For now –“

 

Seungri and Dara! They seems have the chemistry, they even looked cute and funny together during Strong Heart!”

 

Ah that's right! Daesung and Minzy too!”

 

Taeyang and Dara! I Need a Girl chemistry anyone? They're perfect!”

 

"Nah, TopDara is better! Come on, don't deny their chemistry in I'm Sorry MV!"

 

"CL and TOP? CL and Taeyang?"

 

"For the nth times, TOP can't participate in this show for God's sake!"

 

Taeyang and Minzy! The dancing machine couple!”

 

"Daesung and Dara? Daesung and bom?"

 

Bom and Taeyang? Bom and Jiyong?”

 

Don't use Bom. I'm planning to put her as the commentator of the show along with Dongwook and Daesung.”

 

The debate started again. It even got more heated. And there began the point where Dongwook could not keep track on who was talking about who, or who was paired up with who, or who did not look good with who, or whoever, whatever. Names and pairings, suggestions and rejections were shouted out in that meeting room. Due to his upcoming performance schedule on inkigayo, Dongwook could not be present to hear the result. Once his manager fetched him, the tall man stood up and apologetically announced his leaves. Not many paid attentions, as they were still engulfed in the heated debate.
 

Once he walked out and closed the door of the meeting room, Dongwook sighed. He had never truly imagined how the mathematical equation of probability between four women and five men could be so damn frustrating.


 

Dongwook could not be present through the next meeting, not that he had to be there, but he had to admit the crawling curiosity inside, so to whoever were chosen… he had no idea. The rumor regarding the new show had spread in YG building though. He decided to pay a visit to BIGBANG's dance practice for the world tour. And he had heard enough of “Hyung, so who are going to be chosen in the show?” from his beloved dongsaengs.

 

Youngdeuk was the tenth person to ask him that in the time range of three hours, so it was only Youngdeuk’s bad luck  to receive his irritation. “For the umpteenth time, I don’t know…!” He screeched comically. So much for being irritated. Dongwook was not one suited to be angry.

 

Kush came to back him up. “Yah, why are you all so eager for this show anyway?”

The chatting began again. Bets and guesses filled the dance practice room noisily. It was only once their manager came in and announced who was going up to the first pre-production meeting of We Are The Cupid! that the guesses stopped and the boys cheered loudly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Boring chapter again, right? I told you already >< Well but this chapter is definitely important, because this chapter explained how the show role. What a hot debate isn't it? I can't keep on track, and if i were Dongwook, my head would aches already. Heck, i can't even decide my username. I tends to change my usernamE from time to time after all lol. Not to mention that i even have a hard time in choosing coffee at the coffee shop everytime, as always :p

 

OMG i never thought that comments from readers actually this meaningful for a writer. Seriously, i decided to update now because i read the comments from you guya. Not because you guys asked me to update faster but it's because i feel contended reading that. Thank you so much for encouraging me :')

 

Next chapter will be about the filming of the first episode. omg who's the chosen couples? Wait for it neh. BUT... if you paid attention, i already gave a couple of hints regarding the chosen couples though, teehee ;)

 

As always, comment and subscribe will be most appreciated. Ciao~!