Miracle - Lay

The Heroes Saga

 

The room was absolutely still, the only sounds coming from the television that's volume was almost completely turned off, and the rhythmic beats of the heart rate monitor. Lay sat in a chair next to the bed while he held your hand as you slept. When he looked up, his chest tightened and his breath caught in this throat. He absolutely hated seeing you in this state. In an ugly hospital gown, dozens of wires connected to you. He frowned when he noticed how pale you were under the florescent light that was on above the bed.

Lay was just about to reach up to brush some hair off of your face when he heard the door open. He turned his head to see Kris quietly making his way towards him.

"Hey, man," Kris said as placed a hand on Lay's shoulder.

"Hey," Lay said with no emotion in his voice.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Kris asked warily.

Lay nodded his head as he looked back at you, "I have to."

"But you do know what happens when you use your powers on someone, right?"

"They forget who I am," Lay whispered.

Silence fell over the two boys. Kris knew how much pain Lay was in, finding out that the girl you were in love with for years was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia must have been torture. And then realizing that one of the only ways to save her would result in her forgetting you? Kris didn't even want to think about that. 

"You know, maybe you don't have to do this," Kris said, "______ is a strong girl. Maybe she can beat this."

But Lay sadly shook his head, "The doctors came in while she was sleeping and said that it was nearly impossible to beat. The cancer has spread too much and it would be a miracle if she survived on her own."

"But Lay-"

"I have to, Ge," Lay angrily cut him off.

Kris sighed and crossed his arms as he walked towards the window and looked outside.

"I love her," Lay whispered as he gripped your hand tighter, "I can't just sit here and watch her die."

"Even if you did use your powers on her, she wouldn't even know it was you that saved her," Kris mumbled, still looking out the window. 

Lay sighed, gently resting your hand down on the bed, and stood up to move by Kris, "I'd rather have her forget who I am then have her gone forever. It doesn't matter anyways, she doesn't even know I have healing powers."

The two boys lapsed into silence once again and stared at their feet, but looked up when they heard a soft whine coming from the bed. 

Your eyes fluttered open and you looked around to see Kris and Lay standing next to each other by the window. Lay rushed to your side when he saw that you were awake. You smiled up at him and looked over at Kris who was still standing next to the window.

"Hey Kris," you said weakly, a small smile on your face.

Kris smiled back to you, "Hey, how are you feeling?"

"Eh, I've been better," you said with a soft laugh.

You winced as you tried and sit up on your hospital bed. Lay reached out to help you but you shooed his hand away and shook your head. Lay bit his lip as he watched you slowly push yourself up into a sitting position. You let out a shaky breath when you lowered yourself back on the bed, sitting up straight. Lay then immediately started to fluff your pillow and fix your blanket for you. 

"Lay, you don't have to do that," you scolded. 

"But I want to!" he retorted as he continued to do everything he could to make you comfortable.

Kris, sensing that it was his time to leave, slowly started to make his way towards the door while the two of you bickered like you always did.

"I think I should go," Kris said at the doorway.

"Oh, thanks for coming," you replied.

Kris nodded his head and waved a hand at the two of you, "Goodnight."

You gave him a small wave as he left the room. 

"Are you hungry? I can get a nurse to bring you some food," Lay said, grabbing onto the phone attached to the bed, ready to make a call.

You lightly shook your head, "I'm not that hungry, I ate right before I went to sleep. Plus, I don't think I should be eating at one in the morning."

"Oh, well are you thirsty?" Lay asked, quickly reaching over to the styrofoam pitcher that was filled with ice water. 

"Lay, stop!" you laughed and pushed his hand away from the pitcher, "I'm fine. Just relax a bit."

Lay collapsed into the chair that he was previously sitting on and let out a sigh.

"I heard the doctors when the came in earlier," you said suddenly.

Lay's head snapped up and his eyes widened, "So ... you heard about your condition?"

You nodded your head slowly and looked down at your hands that were resting on your lap.

"Then, how are you so calm right now?" Lay asked.

You merely shrugged your shoulder, "I don't know. Maybe my life was just meant end now."

"No! Don't say that!" Lay exclaimed as he stood up and walked to the other side of the room, his back facing you and tears starting to pool in his eyes.

"Lay..." you whispered.

"You can't die," he whispered as he turned back to you, fighting the tears back that were threatening to fall from his eyes.

"You heard them, Lay. It's not like anyone can do anything to save me," you said slowly. 

"But I-!" Lay started, but stopped himself from saying anymore.

"...You?"

"I ... I just don't want you to leave me," Lay said in a voice that was barely audible as his tears spilled over the edges of his eyes.

"Lay," you sighed, your heart breaking at the sight of your best friend crying. You motioned for him to come over to you and scooted over in your bed to make room for him to sit next to you.

After he carefully swung his legs onto the bed and shifted closer to you, you rested your head on Lay's shoulder.

"I'm scared too," you whispered as you laced your fingers in between his.

Lay didn't say anything and instead gave your hand a little squeeze.

"You know, I've never told you this before, but I've always thought you of as someone that was more than just a friend," you said tiredly as you let out a yawn and closed your eyes. 

Lay smiled to himself, "Me too," he whispered even though he knew you were already asleep. 

Lay carefully got off the bed and shifted you so that you were laying on your back. Standing next to you, Lay smiled at you and gently tucked a piece of your hair behind your ear.

"I love you," he whispered.

Lay took a deep breath as he placed one of his hands over your sleeping figure and closed his eyes.

---

"______-sshi, please wake up."

Your eyes fluttered open and you saw a nurse looking down at you. You squinted as you looked around the room and found that it was already morning. 

"Oh good, you're up," the nurse smiled and looked at your medical charts, "You have to take some tests this morning, okay?"

You nodded your head and you tried to rub sleep out of your eyes.

"Okay, I'll go get the doctors and tell them that you're ready."

You stretched your arms when the nurse left the room and looked around. Your eyes scanned the room but stopped when you noticed a small card and a white lily laying on a chair next to your bed. 

You picked up the flower, smiling as you admired its beauty, and opened the card.

Always remember that miracles do happen.

-Yixing

'Yixing,' you tilted your head to the side, 'Do I know a Yixing?'

You continued to stare at the card and flower for are few minutes but ended up laying it back on the chair when the doctors came in to take you to the testing lab. 

"Are you ready, ______-sshi?" one doctor asked you.

You smiled and nodded your head as they rolled you out of the room.

---

You standing scanning the shelves of your local bookstore, looking for a book that you could take with you on your trip to visit your family. It has been two months since you have been leukemia free. You'll never forget the day when you went into testing and the doctors found nothing wrong with you. "It's a miracle," they said, but for some reason, in your mind, you didn't think it was a miracle at all. 

You picked a book that looked interesting off of the shelf and smiled when you read the back. You made your way out of the aisle, still looking down at the book that was in your hands.

"Oh!" you yelped when you bumped into someone, you book falling out of your hands and theirs crashing to the ground as well. 

You looked up to see a boy looking back at you. He was on the taller side, slim, and his brown hair swept to one side. He also had a very innocent looking face behind the big frames of his glasses. But what really caught your eye was an interesting unicorn pin that was attached to the strap of his backpack. 

"I'm so sorry!" you exclaimed, adverting your eyes from him as you bent down to pick up his books.

"No, no, it was my fault," he laughed and bent down as well and reached for your book.

The two of you stood up and passed the books to each other. 

"I'm really sorry .... " you drifted off.

"Lay," the boy finished.

You nodded your head, "I'm really sorry for not looking where I was going, Lay."

Lay shook his head, "It's really no problem."

You let out an embarrassed laugh, "I'm ______."

A small smile appeared on Lay's face when he heard your name, "It's nice to meet you, ______."