Shadows - Baekhyun

The Heroes Saga

 

You rolled over onto you side and slowly opened your eyes. Squinting at the clock that was on bedside table, you saw that it flashed 2:30 AM across the LED screen. Sitting up, you rubbed your eyes, still trying to figure out why you were up in the middle of the night. Looking to your side, you saw that Baekhyun's side of the bed was empty. 

You tilted your head to the side in confusion, 'Where could he-'

But you thoughts were cut off when you heard a soft laugh coming from outside of your bedroom door. You threw the covers to the side and slid on your house slippers that were on the floor next to your bed. After quietly opening your bedroom door, you followed the sound of the laughter into the dark hall. Catching your eye, you saw that one of the bedroom doors was open and light was spilling into the hall. 

You tip toed your way down the hall and peered into the bedroom. There, you saw your four year old son, Youngjae, laying on his bed with Beakhyun, who had a stream of light flowing from his hand.

You smiled to yourself when you saw the two of them, once again, casting shadow puppets onto the ceiling, totally unaware that you were standing in the doorway watching them. The smile continued to stay on you face as you watched the two boys make up a story using the shadows that were on the ceiling.

"Daddy," Youngjae called.

"Hmmm?" Baekhyun took his eyes off the ceiling and looked down at his son.

"Can all daddies make light with their hands?" Youngjae asked curiously.

Your eyes widened when you heard his question. This was the first time that Yongjae has ever asked about Baekhyun's powers. Biting your lip and holding your breath, you anxiously listened for Baekhyun's reply.

"Well," Baekhyun said slowly, choosing his words carefully, "I don't know of many daddies that can do this. So far, I've never met another one that can. But there could be other ones out there."

You let out the breath that you were holding. 'Good answer, Baek,' you thought in your head.

"So does that mean that I have a special daddy?" your son asked innocently.

Baekhyun smiled and nodded his head, "Yeah, I guess it does, Youngjae."

"That's pretty cool," Youngjae said as he let out a yawn. 

"But, Yongjae, you have to promise me that you won't tell your friends about daddy's special powers, okay?" Baekhyun said in a gentle voice while looking at your son.

"Why?" he asked, a somewhat disappointed expression on his face.

Baekhyun pursed his lips and looked to the side, "We don't want them to feel bad if they find out that their daddies can't make light, right?"

Youngjae nodded his head, "Okay daddy, I won't tell anyone."

"Promise?" Baekhyun held out his pinky finger of the hand that didn't have light coming out of.

Youngjae linked his tiny pinky finger with Baekhyun's bigger one, "Promise."

"Okay, I think it's time for you to go to bed," Baekhyun said as Youngjae let out another yawn.

He stood up and tucked Yongjae back into bed, the light from his hand slowly dimming until it disappeared. 

"Goodnight, little guy," he whispered and placed a kiss on the top of his son's head.

Realizing that he would soon be coming your way, you quickly ran down the hall and jumped back onto your bed. You threw the covers over you and closed your eyes, pretending that you were still asleep.

You heard the door to your bedroom open and felt Baekhyun slide back into bed with you. 

"I know you're awake," Baekhyun whispered as he draped an arm over your waist. 

Opening your eyes, you turned your head to see Baekhyun smiling at you. 

"You saw me, didn't you?" you asked after turning your body over so that you were facing him. 

Baekhyun simply nodded.

"Why were you in Youngjae's room?"

"He called for me when I was coming out of the bathroom. He said he had a nightmare and wanted me to help him fall asleep. Playing with shadow puppets is the only way I know to get him to fall asleep," he explained. 

You nodded your head and buried your face into the crook of his neck as he pulled you closer.

"What are we going to do when he asks about your powers again?" you mumbled.

"Tell him the truth I guess," Baekhyun said and kissed your forehead, "That his dad and all of his uncles aren't from this planet and all have super powers. But let's just hope that happens when he's older and is able to comprehend the situation."

"But what if he still doesn't understand?" you pressed. 

"We'll just worry about that when the time comes," Baekhyun said and yawned, "For now, let's just get some sleep."

You snuggled into Baekhyun, a yawn escaping your own lips.

"Goodnight, I love you," Baekhyun mumbled as he closed his eyes.

"Love you too," you whispered back and closed your eyes as well.