Day 5: Run In (Part 3)

Upside Down

Day 5 – Part 3

Run In

 

        Nana was picking absently at her fingernails, a bored expression on her face. She was done listening to Kahi and Tablo argue with each other about what to do. They had yet to leave the roof yet and it had been an hour since they were ready to set off. The problem was that they did not have a course of action. Kahi was all for going out and knocking dead any zombies that stood in their way. Tablo was more of a pacifist, believing that there could be another way, a way that didn't involve killing human beings. Kahi's counter-argument was that they were no longer human, that they were long dead.

 

        They had been going at it for quite sometime and Nana was about ready to hand herself over to the zombies. She thought it'd be a bit more pleasant to be eaten alive than having to listen to two adults fight like children.

 

        Lizzy was standing off to the side, twirling a butter knife in her hands, her eyes distant. Nana was getting creepy vibes from the girl but even that wasn't enough to distract her from the task of cleaning the dirt from beneath her fingernails.

 

        “Can't we just kill them,” Lizzy said, her voice muted slightly from the way she had her head bowed.

 

        Tablo and Kahi stopped, their mouths closing as their eyes shifted to the girl playing with the knife. The way Lizzy moved the object between her hands was like something out of a horror movie and was enough to put the two eldest members of their small group on edge.

 

        Kahi took a step forward and gingerly extracted the knife from Lizzy's hands. She was not met with resistance but Lizzy did look up to meet Kahi's gaze.

 

        “They're not people anymore. Not in the way that we are. If we don't kill them, they will kill us.” Though she looked at Kahi when she spoke it was clear her words were meant for Tablo. “Forget about the human beings they once were. They are nothing but monsters now. We kill them, we live, we move on. Don't think about it, don't linger on their deaths. If the roles were reversed do you think they would show you any mercy? No?” Lizzy spoke clearly, her gaze finally venturing beyond Kahi to Tablo who stared at her only with a dumbfounded expression. His look turned serious but he didn't argue with her. “If it's decided then...”

 

        “Right. Let's go,” Kahi said with a nod of her head. She flipped her bangs out of her eyes as she turned around to face the rest of her companions. “We'll go down to the top floor and then take the fire escape. We'll travel by alleyway only.” Kahi walked to the edge of the rooftop and peered down to the alleyway below. Only one zombie wandered the area, its feet moving along at a snails pace as he wandered in circles. “They don't seem to venture into such narrow spaces often. It may be dangerous but there are four of us, we should be able to take them on if we run into trouble. Does everyone have a weapon?” As she asked this she handed the butter knife back to Lizzy. She wasn't sure what good the utensil would do the girl but she must be capable if she had killed some of her own classmates.

 

        Kahi bent down and gripped the frying pan she had collected earlier that day in her hand. She didn't want to part with the thing. She knew it was possible to find a better weapon but she had taken out a zombie before so easily with a pan similar to the one she held now. It was dirty, with a bit of egg burnt on its surface but that didn't matter. It wasn't like she'd be cooking with it.

 

        Tablo clung to an aluminum baseball bat but he didn't look too pleased at the aspect of having to use it. Kahi's eyes wandered over to Nana, the young woman she was responsible for. If there was danger and there was only one person she could save, Kahi would choose Nana. At that moment the girl was crouched on the ground, rummaging through a large backpack, double checking the supplies. She was the only one without a weapon and Kahi wanted to keep it that way. She was protective over the young woman and would hate to see her dirty her hands in this damned world.

 

        Nana zipped up the pack, stood and then slung the backpack over her shoulder. She gave a sigh at its weight but wouldn't complain since it held their meager supplies and food. Besides, what was there to complain about? She was lucky in that she didn't have to take up arms and bash in zombie brains. She had already witnessed how messy that would be. She gave a shudder at the thought.

 

        Kahi appraised each of them once more, making sure everything was in order and that they could set off. Her eyes widened slightly at the knife in Lizzy's hands. She had traded out the butter knife, which now lay on the ground by her feet, for a rather large steak knife. The youngest girls eyes turned it over, taking in its gleaming surface, while a small smile played on her lips. Kahi quickly looked away, exchanged a look with Tablo – who seemed to be thinking the same thing as she when he caught sight of Lizzy's new knife – and then she lead them towards the door.

 

        They clambered down the steps and broke into an abandoned apartment. The place was immaculately clean and they were quick to take up any supplies they could find before setting off on their journey into the zombie laden streets.

 

        They had come up with a plan. They would find a hospital and hope for the best. That was it. It may have been a simple idea and not very much on the creative side but it was the only thing they could come up with and agree on. They didn't really know what to do or if it was even a good idea. This wasn't a scenario one ever plans for and it wasn't like they were ever offered a Zombie Apocalypse 101 class. They had to make due with only their instincts. And their instincts said to runaway to a place with medicine. A place with doctors.

 

        Kahi released her hold on the fire escape, her feet hitting the ground with a dull thud. She stepped away and waited for the rest to join her, her dark eyes taking in the her shadowed surroundings. The zombie she had watched wandering the alley before was now standing still and had yet to notice their presence, if it remained that way they would be able to sneak up and take him out real quick – hopefully without drawing more of them to their location.

 

        They weren't quite sure how it worked yet. What had made them into what they were, if it was a sickness or if there was a cure. They all wanted answers but didn't know where to look.

 

          Lizzy started ahead of them before anyone could stop her. Kahi and Tablo watched on as the girl approached the zombie, looking not at all intimidating in her dirty school uniform. Lizzy rammed her knife upward, stabbing the zombie through the chin and up into his mouth. She yanked it free and watched for a moment as blood swelled out of the creatures mouth and chin, flowing down in a steady stream down his torso, staining his clothes.

 

        Lizzy raised her knife again, the zombie reaching for her with his gray hands, and turned her hand sideways, angling the blade properly to shove it into the zombie's brain. The zombie floundered for a moment before going still and falling to the ground. Lizzy watched it for a minute before bending over and yanking the knife free from the zombies brain. She wiped the red liquid from the knife, smearing it a cross her already stained skirt.

 

        “Whose idea was it to bring this crazy girl along?” Tablo inquired. Kahi glanced at him.

 

        “Depends... Are you regretting it or-”

 

        “No, no. It's just – she's quite terrifying. Are you sure she won't kill us in our sleep?”

 

        “I think that as long as you're not a monster, you're safe,” Nana stated, clapping Tablo on the shoulder twice before walking around him to catch up with the girl that had so easily cleared their path.

 

        “Am I the only one who is seriously disturbed by that girl?”

 

        “No. But you are the only one voicing it. I'm sure that will get you on her good side.” Tablo noted Kahi's sarcasm and watched as she walked after the other two girls, telling them to slow down and wait for the adults to catch up.

 

        Tablo shook his head wearily before following after the trio.

 


 

       There was a shout and Lizzy stopped, looking back at her companions to see if they had heard it as well. Then there came a voice, responding to the shout in a cold, steady manner. Nana sent a questioning stare to Kahi, their unofficial leader.

 

        “Wait here. I'll check it out,” Kahi said, taking a step forward, towards the noise. It sounded like real, living people. From what she had noticed, it didn't seem that zombies talked. Kahi was halted by a hand gripping her elbow. She turned her head slightly to face Nana.

 

        “Let's all go. We don't know if they could be dangerous and there's strength in numbers.”

 

        Kahi simply nodded, giving in easily for she really didn't want to go there alone.

 

        The group traveled forward with slow steps, coming upon a half open door situated at the back of a gray building. The voices were coming from inside and it sounded like someone was begging.

 

        “Don't do it, Ga-In. We've been through so much together already. How can you simply turn your back on me so easily?”

 

         There was no response to the question and Kahi reached forward to pushed the door open all the way. As the door creaked open a blade shot out from the darkness within, its tip halting just below Kahi's throat, nearly touching the skin on her neck. The woman froze and gulped. She refused to blink as she waited for someone to say or do something.

 

        “Who are you?” The question was said slowly, each word enunciated with commanding force. Kahi was too scared to speak up and whimpered when the blade touched her bare throat. “Answer the question.”