Day 5: The Plan (Part 2)

Upside Down

Day 5 – Part 2

The Plan

 

        Hyuna bit into a granola bar, chewing slowly so as to make the bit of food last. They still had enough to last them a week but Hyunseung was stingy; not letting her eat any of it. He made up plenty of excuses why they shouldn't eat three meals a day and Hyuna could tell it pained him to not eat it, even then he was breaking off pieces of dry ramyun, a look of distaste on his face. She wanted to laugh but knew it wouldn't be appropriate.

 

        They had found an alley to hide out in for the time being. There was only one way in or out, making it easy to defend. They would be able to hear any zombies coming towards them, the shuffling of their feet and hungry moans a dead giveaway to their nearing presence. If Hyuna actually stopped and listened to her surroundings she could hear the crowd of zombies walking in the street just outside the alley, their and groaning a thing one would only expect to hear in video games or movies – never reality.

 

        Hyuna frowned at the empty packaging of her granola bar. Even when she tried eating slowly she always managed to gobble up the end. Her nose wrinkled in annoyance and she threw the trash away from her, not bothering to use the nearby trashcan. When Seoul was in such a bad state why should one care about littering?

 

        “We need to come up with a plan. Maybe there's a medical center set up; maybe there's some kind of vaccination or even a safe place with the military,” Hyunseung mused aloud, setting aside his half-eaten pack of ramyun. Hyuna stared at the packaging, wondering what dry ramyun tasted like. Her stomach told her it wouldn't hurt to try. She reached for it but Hyunseung took hold of her arm, forcing her actions to a stop. She looked over at him, a guilty grin on her face. She leaned back until her back was against the building wall once more and he released her.

 

        “Where would we even begin to look?”

 

        “A hospital.”

 

        Hyuna grimaced. Going to a hospital wasn't a very appealing idea but it wasn't like there was much else to do anyways. They couldn't stay in that barren alley forever and what if it rained? So, she nodded and stood when Hyunseung did. He shoved his half-eaten pack of ramyun into his bag and then shouldered it. He looked around the alley, his eyes searching for the make-shift weapon he'd carried in case they needed to clear a path into that place. He spotted it leaning against a trashcan and picked it up. He swung it upwards to rest on his shoulder and then walked past Hyuna, taking the lead as they started out on their adventure to locate the nearest hospital.

 

        Hyunseung hesitated just before stepping out of the shadowy confines of the alley. One more step and they'd be in zombie territory. Already, it seemed like the monsters were picking up on their scent. The zombies nearest to the entrance way of the alley shuffled their feet to a halt and turned their heads slowly in the direction of Hyunseung. He had yet to see one of the monsters so up close, without movement.

 

        The zombies eyes were so dull, so lifeless. His skin was pale and there were bits of flesh missing were the skin had been ripped away by another monster. His clothes were stained with a deep red and Hyunseung didn't have to really think about it to know that it was blood.

 

        Hyunseung gulped, wondering how they could traverse down the street with so many zombies hanging around. He knew he couldn't hesitate for much longer, the zombie would surely make its move soon. The sound of Hyuna's shaking breaths forced Hyunseung forward and just as he'd seen Woori do, he lifted his weapon and pulled it back towards his shoulder before swinging hard in the zombies direction. His aim was true and the loud smack of the wooden board connecting with the zombies skull sent Hyuna scrambling further into the alley.

 

        Hyunseung watched with wide eyes as the zombie fell to his side. He was much like the zombie, immovable. He kept staring down at the monster, waiting for him to get up but he never did.

 

        “Hyunseung,” Hyuna hissed, taking a few steps towards him but still she refused to exit the alley. “More are coming.”

 

        It was like he hadn't heard her so she rushed forward and shook him, forcing him to look at her. She swiped the sleeve of her jacket across his cheek, wiping away some blood splatter.

 

        “We have to go. Now,” she said, her voice insistent and finally reaching him. Hyunseung nodded and with one final look at the zombie he let Hyuna lead the way down the street, weaving between cars to keep some kind of solid object between themselves and passing zombies.

 

        They were gathering a following of shuffling zombies. Hyuna and Hyunseung had to break out into a run to keep distance from them.

 

        “Where's the nearest hospital?” Hyuna asked, her eyes flitting from building to building, trying to find something she recognized, something that would help her identify where they were.

 

        Hyunseung seemed to be fumbling for words and his head moved from side to side, taking in the names of restaurants and make-up shops. Hyuna chanced a glance back at him and was surprised by what she saw. She had never seen him so scared before. He had always been like her bodyguard and now he was truly frightened.

 

        Hyuna turned her head forward, her eyes steely. She would find a hospital, she would find them someplace safe to go.