Day 7: Slayer (Part 2)

Upside Down

        Blood lust; that's what they called it and Woori had it bad. She raised her bat and swung hard. The metal connected with the skull of a man, whether he was a zombie or an uninfected human she would never know and she did not care. Her ears blocked out any pleads that may have come from the man's mouth, her eyes did not see whether his flesh was gray – none of that mattered. He was standing in her way. She was on a mission and she could not – would not – accept failure.

 

        She would kill those bastards that had escaped her. She wasn't sure why she was this way, why she wanted to kill Hyuna and Hyunseung so badly. What had they ever done to her? Not much. But she wanted to hunt down the couple and bash their brains in. Had she always been this way? Had she always been so hateful?

 

        No. She couldn't have been. She had been nice before the end of the world. She swung her bat at a shambling figure coming at her head on. Blood splattered across her cheek but she paid it no mind, she didn't even bother to rub it off. The blood was hot against her skin and only fueled her rage.

 

        She turned into an alley and silently stalked to its end. She wasn't sure where the pair would have gone and she even stopped to wonder if they were still alive. Something had probably gotten to them before she could, she realized. She swung the bat loosely at her side and came to a halt at the end of the alley. She leaned against a tall, cold building and watched the shambling zombies in the street. If the duo had turned into one of those monsters, she would find them and kill them for good.

 

        Havoc had been wreaked upon her hometown of Seoul. She scanned the street and took in the number of vehicles that decorated the road, their doors wide open because the people inside had fled. There hadn't been a way out of the city. Woori wondered what had happened in the country or even if Busan had been taken over as well. It wasn't possible that only Seoul was like this. And what about the rest of the world?

 

        Woori's grip on the bat tightened. She didn't know if it was actually worth it to survive in this newly changed world, but she would do it anyways. Even if there wasn't anything to live for, she'd keep going. There had to be someone out there that was trying to reverse the damage that had been done. There had to be someone trying to stop this plague. There had to be a cure or a way to become immune. Woori wasn't smart enough to find the solution, so she would track down whoever was and stick to their side. She would protect them so they could succeed.

 

        But that could wait until after she found and killed Hyuna and Hyunseung.