Day 6: Hospital (Part 3)

Upside Down

Day 6 - Part 3

Hospital

 

        Hyuna gazed around the darkened building with wide eyes. Never before had she seen such an eerie place. The white hospital building was surrounded by an array of cars and an assortment of hastily parked ambulances. She gulped back a horrified comment and then looked to Hyunseung who was looking at the building with horror. This was not what they had been expecting. They were looking for a safe haven, a place that treated sick people – if the hospital was in this state of disarray outside she could only imagine what it looked like inside.

 

       The weirdest thing was that the whole block around this place was quiet – almost eerily so. The zombies had given up on chasing down the two long ago and they were luckily left without a single wound. And now as Hyuna stared at the building she could not detect any signs of life – or otherwise – inside the building. The only way to know for sure was to explore but she was not sure if that was something she really wanted to do. Even Hyunseung was scared.

 

       Something in him had changed and she was stuck with being the one in charge. Maybe the fact that everyone they loved seemed to be dead had finally sunk in, he was past the instinct to live and was in shock. Hyuna wasn't sure. She only knew that he wasn't the Hyunseung she had known all her life. Not anymore.

 

       She hoped it would pass and he would be back to being the leader of their little group. The pressure to make the right decisions weighed heavily on Hyuna and she wasn't the type to handle such situations well. She wanted to curl up in a dark corner and cry – but that clearly was not a viable option. Hyunseung would have never let her do that, so she couldn’t allow herself.

 

       She couldn't allow herself to think too much either. The longer they stood there, doing absolutely nothing, was not going to help them in the least. They made it all the way to their destination in one piece, it would be a shame to give up now. So, steeling herself with all the courage she could muster, Hyuna took hold of Hyunseung's hand and started for the hospital's doors.

 

       Hyunseung was slow to follow, seemingly hesitant to take a step. Hyuna stopped to glance back at him, casting a worried glance in his direction. He was staring at the ground, his shoulders slumped.

 

       “Why are we doing this? Is there any point?” Hyunseung's words caused Hyuna's heart to sink. Her grip on his hand tightened and he looked up at her, meeting her eyes at last.

 

       “Let's just go in. If there isn't a point to it then it shouldn't hurt, right?” Before he could answer, Hyuna turned away and pulled him along, noting how he wasn't fighting her.

 

       The hospital doors were slightly ajar, stuck that way by a gurney shoved in its path. Hyuna released her hold on Hyunseung's hand and began to climb on top of the gurney, it shook slightly beneath her sudden weight but there was no risk of it moving, it was firmly lodged between the once automatic doors.

 

       Hyunseung followed behind Hyuna once the girl had reached the inside of the dark hospital. She took a step towards the front desk, her legs moving slowly. It was much more unsettling inside the hospital than it was outside. At least outside there had been sunlight, inside this dark place there was nothing. Hyuna stopped to let Hyunseung catch up to her and to let her eyes adjust to the dark.

 

       “It doesn't seem like there's anyone here,” Hyunseung commented.

 

       “It's too soon to know that for sure. They could be hiding out somewhere. Let's find a stairwell.”

 

       “What are we looking for exactly?”

 

       Hyuna rolled her eyes and was glad that Hyunseung couldn't see it through the darkness, though she could just make out his body and was aware that he was looking at her. “How should I know? This was your idea, remember?” Hyunseung was quiet. “Did you have some sort of plan? Some kind of idea as to why you wanted to come here?”

 

       “I thought... I didn't think it would be this way. I thought there would still be doctors. I thought that there was some kind of cure and that it would be safe here because no one would be infected with whatever those... things out there have. It never crossed my mind that we would arrive at an abandoned building!”

 

       Hyuna looked down, processing Hyunseung's words. She couldn't get mad at him no matter how much the anger inside her was building. Fighting with him would solve nothing, she told herself. Before she could open to speak the sound of something falling over and crashing to the ground rang out through the lobby. The two friends both froze, their bodies going rigid with fright.

 

       “What was that?” Hyuna muttered.

 

       “Shh.”

 

       The sound of footsteps echoed around them, loud and surrounding them. It was impossible to pinpoint where exactly it was coming from.

 

       “Hyunseung...” Hyuna reached out for his arm but grasped nothing but air. Her chest tightened as panic took hold of her. “Hyunseung,” she tried again. There was no answer from him. She could still hardly see a thing in the dark room to begin with and now her vision was beginning to blur with tears.

 

       She felt a light touch to her elbow. Her breath caught in and once again she whispered her companions name, “...Hyunseung...”

 

       What she heard next sent tears streaming down her face. A chilling voice right beside her ear muttered one, simple word.

 

       “Nope.”

----

A/n: It's been awhile since I last worked on this, so I'm a little rusty.  Hopefully I'll be updating again soon ^^