Day 3: Woori

Upside Down

Day 3: Woori

Batter Up

        Hyuna wasn't adapting well. Hyunseung could tell that she was sincerely trying, but every now and again it seemed like she just wanted to give up. He didn't try encouraging her, because inside he felt the same way. It would have just been easier to give themselves to the monsters that wanted to devour their flesh, but the thought of actually giving himself to those monsters made him want to be sick.

 

        While he was still around, it was clear that Hyuna wouldn't just give up. No matter how much she wanted too. She had pretty much stopped crying well into the first day, seeming to accept the fact that she would probably never see her parents again. But Hyunseung still heard Hyuna cry herself to sleep the night before. He just ignored it, knowing there wasn't anything he could do. If she wanted to cry, he would let her cry. Comforting her would probably do little good anyhow and he wasn't the type to put forth the effort.

 

        “I'm tired,” Hyuna whined, her eyes were cast to the ground. The sound of her boots hitting the ground unnerved Hyunseung, but he had learned early on that the creatures hardly reacted to the sound of walking. It was talking that would alert them to the living's presence.

 

        “Be quiet,” Hyunseung warned, his voice hardly more than a whisper.

 

        “And I'm hungry,” she continued, clutching at her stomach. “When can we have lunch?”

 

        Hyunseung pulled the pack on his back up slightly, the weight inside was starting to become an irritation. If he thought that Hyuna could manage to carry it, he would have handed it over, he'd be happy to switch with her pack, but he doubted that she would get far before complaining about how heavy it was.

 

         The pack was filled with water and food. Hers was similarly packed, though he suspected she had thrown in a few pairs of clothes with the way it was bulging oddly. She hadn't changed from the outfit she'd been wearing since they left their apartment building the day before and he was slightly surprised. Perhaps Hyuna was more intelligent than he gave her credit for and inside her pack was in fact not extra clothes, but something useful. Like the medical supplies he had asked her to pack but suspected she forgot about.

 

        Hyuna hadn't wanted to leave the apartment. She claimed it was safe enough, for hardly any dead things were walking around. But the power was out and she had begun complaining of boredom. There was hardly any winning with her it seemed. Hyunseung had forced her to pack, saying that they had to leave.

 

        Hyuna had little hope that they would survive long outside where the monsters roamed. They had been lucky though. They had yet to run into a large group of them, though they had seen many a large group from a distance. Hyunseung would lead her through abandoned buildings or deserted alleyways. Anything to keep from having to approach a horde of them.

 

        Hyuna wondered how long this luck would last.

 

        “Can't we just stop for a second, my feet hurt,” Hyuna continued complaining.

 

        “I think we should keep moving,” Hyunseung said.

 

        “Why? Where are we even going? Why can't we take a little break?”

 

        Hyunseung released a heavy sigh and stopped. Hyuna nearly ran into him. She placed her hands against his back to keep from toppling over. She withdrew her hands when he started to turn around. The look of annoyance displayed across his features amused the girl.

 

        “Do you have any idea where we should go?” she asked. “Is there even a safe place? You're charging ahead blindly, with no idea of what to do.”

 

        Hyunseung didn't like the way she was speaking to him. If she had a problem with him leading her through the city, then she could go off on her own. He was about to tell her so when the sound of a trash can toppling over sounded through the alley in which they stood.

 

        Hyuna jumped and covered to stifle the scream that was ready to escape her lips. She slowly turned around. The sight of a small group of zombies approaching them made Hyuna take a step back. Hyunseung was unmoving and didn't even notice her back pressing into his chest. He was scared and he had no idea what to do. His fear kept him still.

 

        Hyuna turned quickly on the toe of her boot and pushed Hyunseung's chest, forcing him to move down the alley. He stumbled backwards a step before doing what she was silently telling him to do. He ran, his hand reaching back for hers so that he wouldn't lose her to the monsters that were beginning to move at a quicker pace towards them, the sound of their grunting and as they gave chase sent a shiver down his spine and his grip on Hyuna's hand tightened. If he was hurting her she gave no indication.

 

        "Hyunseung," Hyuna started but said nothing more. What was there to say? It was quite obvious what was in front of them.

        A dead end.

 

 

 

        A door set into the side of the building to Hyuna and Hyunseung's right swung open, nearly taking them out. Hyunseung dodged the door, pulling Hyuna along with him. The pair traveled only a few steps more before stopping and turning around. Their brown eyes were wide with alarm, their breaths coming out in erratic pants.

 

        From the doorway stepped a woman with long, jean clad legs and a pair of dark sunglasses that made it nearly impossible to make out the top half of her face. If either Hyuna or Hyunseung knew the woman, they wouldn't be able to tell.

 

        The woman turned, her dark mahogany colored hair flying behind her back as she did so. Hyuna watched her with an open mouth, bewildered by the woman's strong presence. Hyunseung's eyes were focused on a silver, metal bat that she held tightly in her hands.

 

        As the first groaning monster neared, the woman swung her arms back, readying herself for a strong swing. When the monster had reached her, easily within grasp of her, she swung forward. A loud crack sounded through the alley and made Hyuna flinch. She buried her face into Hyunseung's chest and though he didn't smell as clean as usual, she was still comforted. Hyunseung subconsciously wrapped his arms around Hyuna as he watched the woman who had appeared as if by some miracle. He pulled Hyuna tighter to himself as another crack rang out and another zombie fell by the woman's bat.

 

        The game continued until there was nothing left to hit. The woman was panting, her head turned downwards as she inspected the outcome of her batting practice. She kicked the head of one of the zombies and seemingly satisfied with the result, turned her eyes to Hyunseung and his trembling companion. Hyuna hadn't seemed to realize that it was over,. That they were safe.

 

        The woman looked them over and looked unimpressed. Without a word, she turned and headed back into the building from which she had come. Hyunseung took a step forward, intent on following. Hyuna finally roused from the place she had hidden herself and looked up into Hyunseung's eyes. Seeing that he wasn't looking at her, she followed his gaze to the open doorway.

 

        "Come on, Hyuna," Hyunseung instructed, forcing Hyuna away from him. She watched him with a dejected look as he followed after the mysterious woman.

 

        Hyuna's lip trembled as she looked around herself. The zombies that lay dead, their heads having taken substantial beatings from the woman's bat, bled out on the pavement. The sight made Hyuna's stomach churn and she forced her gaze away. Without any other options, she followed after Hyunseung, closing the door behind her.

 

        Hyunseung stood in a doorway, watching the woman within. Hyuna looked around him, her eyes focused on the bloody bat. The woman pulled a cloth from a large silver sink and wiped down her bat. She hadn't seemed to notice her guests.

 

        "Excuse me," Hyunseung started. The woman's hand paused on the bat and she slowly tilted her head to look in the direction of him.

 

        "What?" she asked, finally acknowledging them. She set her bat into the sink, leaving the cloth with it. She wiped her hands on the back of her jeans. Hyuna noted the blood splattered across the woman and she seemed to completely disregard it. Was she used to this already?

 

        "I just wanted to thank you."

 

        "Yeah. Whatever. I shouldn't have had to do that. You're lucky I was feeling generous today," she said. She lifted her blood stained hand and removed the shades from her face to reveal big but tired eyes. She was pale in the face, clearly lacking sleep. Hyuna guessed it was paranoia of one of those monsters barging in on her that kept her awake.

 

        "Are you the only person here?" voiced Hyuna. The woman nodded. "What's your name?"

 

        "Woori," was the dull response. Woori fought back a yawn, ducking her head slightly in an attempt to hide the movement of her opening mouth. She straightened herself after a moment had passed and moved her incredibly straight hair behind her ears. She glanced around. "You can stay here for today if you want. But I want you out of here by morning. This place is safe but it won't stay that way with too many people."

 

        "Three is too many?" Hyuna asked, her voice filled with disbelief. She was not buying the other girls reasoning. What would be so bad about having them around? Surely she could use the help and the sleep she would be sure to get with someone watching her back.

 

        "Okay. We'll be gone in the morning," Hyunseung said quickly. Hyuna pushed him from behind but he didn't budge.

 

        Woori glanced between the two, nodded and then grabbed her bat. She retreated to a room beyond that of the kitchen. Hyunseung faced Hyuna once she was gone.

 

        "What was that? Why should we have to leave? If she says it's safe here-"

 

        "She already saved us. We shouldn't ask for anything more," Hyunseung stated. He walked away from Hyuna, leaving her with hanging open. He set his heavy bag down on the floor and then sat himself beside it. He leaned his head against the wall and then closed his eyes, finally able to relax for the first time since escaping their apartment building.

 

        Hyuna was still standing where he had left her. She was fuming inside. The way Hyunseung had so easily dismissed her was upsetting and made her heart twinge in pain with each beat. She bowed her head and retreated to the wall across from Hyunseung, as far as she could get from him without leaving the room. She dropped the bag that had been weighing her down with little regard for its contents and with her back pressed firmly against the white wall, she slid down its surface until her was firmly planted on the ground.

 

        She began to pick at her painted nails. She already missed her life. Hot showers, partying every night, an endless supply of food. She sighed at the thought and her stomach rumbled yet she made no move to withdraw any of the food from her bag. She brought her knees up to her chin and bowed her head further to completely bury her face as she silently let tears escape her. A shaky breath escaped her and a sob tore at . But she wouldn't let it free. She didn't want to burden Hyunseung further with her pitiful cries.

 

        Hyunseung peeked open a single eye and observed Hyuna. He noted the way her shoulders shook before he closed his eye once more and attempted to get some rest.