Chapter 1

True Love or Brotherly Love?

Byunghun's POV

I'd always wanted a brother.  I was a single child, and no one really played with me because my parents were very strict.  They had to approve of whoever it was I was playing with, and most of the time, they said that whoever I brought home wasn't worthy enough to be on our property.  One day, I confronted my parents about my loneliness, and they promised me to get me a brother.  Three years later, still no signs of a baby.  But there was a kid, roughly the same age as me, coming up the small gravel path that led to my house - or more like mansion - from the road.

The boy had black hair that hung over his eyes, and his bangs were dyed red, but it was cut high enough for him to be able to see.  His large doe-like eyes that were slightly hidden behind thick framed glasses looked up in my direction and I swear that our eyes locked then, but he looked away like nothing happened and continued to stumble up the path.  I wondered what he was doing here, when I saw my father going out to greet him.  The kid seemed freaked and he froze, his eyes widening (if that was possible, thinking about how big they already were).

He looked like a total nerd, with those glasses and fidgety actions.  I huffed.  If I had to live with him, my social status would go down, not that I cared, really.  I didn't really understand why I was popular in the first place.  But that was beside the point.  I just really, really hated people who acted nervous around me, though.  It was really agitating to watch, and they took forever to get one word out.  So...it was annoying.

And, of course, that kid just had to be one of those people.

And, to make it worse, he was apparently going to be my brother.  Or so my mother said.

"Umma!" I whined, trying to break away from her death grip.  "I don't want to meet him."

"You must," she snapped, baring her teeth.  When she did that, she looked like a rabid animal.  And to play it safe, I sighed and followed after her to the living room, where the glasses kid just sat there, staring at nothing.  "Say hi," my mother hissed.

"Hi," I said bluntly.  He looked at me and stared, but didn't utter a word.  After a few moments of awkward silence, I said, "What, are you like, mute or something?"

"Byunghun!" my father yelled, and I saw the boy flinch.  I, on the other hand, didn't even budge as my father knocked me on the head.  Lightly though.  He hated hurting people; he had a hot temper, but apologized really quickly.  That's probably why my mom stayed with him.  "How rude of you to say that!?  Apologize!"

"I was just wondering," I grumbled as I rubbed my head.  "Sorry for being rude," I said in a flat tone.  

"Sorry, Chanhee.  He's like this a lot," Umma said, rolling her eyes.  The boy, named Chanhee, just nodded numbly.  I saw Umma smile.  Wow.  So, they get pissed when I don't vocally respond to them, but they don't get pissed when he doesn't.  All the more reasons to think he's mute.

Suddenly, my phone rang, breaking the awkward silence that had somehow made its way there.  "Hold on, I'll be right back," I said, and picked up, walking into the bathroom and locking the door.

"Hey, Niel," I said once I was seated comfortably on the sink.

"Hey, Byunghun hyung," he replied.  He never forgot his honorifics, although his tone could sound rude.

"What?" I asked irritably.  I really liked Niel; he was a good kid.  It was just that he took forever to get to the meat.

"I was wondering if you could come hang out?" he said, his tone hopeful.

"Ugh, I can't.  I now have a so-called brother, who I probably have to take care of since-" Suddenly, someone started banging on the door.  "My parents are lazy asses who won't do it themselves.  Gotta go now, or else my is going to be gone tomorrow.  See you in school."  With that, I hung up and hopped off the sink, unlocked the door and stepped past my father who just seemed surprised.  "What now?" I grunted, leaning against a wall.

"You two will be sharing rooms; now go up and lead him there," my mother commanded.

I rolled my eyes and picked up his bags, gesturing with my head for him to follow.  He did, and I heard his soft footsteps padding behind me.  "So...what's your name?" I asked, trying to strike a conversation, even though I was sure I hated the guts out of this guy.

"L-Lee Ch-Chanhee," he stammered in a quiet voice.

"Oh.  Well, I'm sure you know that I'm Byunghun by now," I said, my voice flat.  "Nice to meet you, Chanhee."

"Y-Yeah, nice to meet you t-too."  Ugh.  He stutters too much.

Chanhee's POV

I didn't want to get adopted.  I liked living in the orphanage...although I was probably getting too old to stay.  So I had to get adopted by another family by the name of Lee, so I wouldn't have to change my last name (or so they said).  I was really nervous, because they seemed to be so rich.  They were very kind, though, and despite my nerdy appearance, which I thought most people hated, they seemed to really like me.  They said that their son would love me, too.

Psh.  Their son hates me right now.

"What's your name?" he asked.

I could tell he was trying to strike a conversation with me.  I was really nervous, so I stuttered.  "L-Lee Ch-Chanhee."

"Oh.  Well, I'm sure you know that I'm Byunghun by now," he said, his voice monotonic.  "Nice to meet you, Chanhee."

"Y-Yeah, nice to meet you t-too."  Ugh, Chanhee, stop stuttering!

He led me to his - or more like our - room and set my bags down.  And then he seemed to notice something.  

"Aish, where will you sleep?" he muttered, scratching his head.

"I-I can sleep on the floor," I offered, but he just looked at me in a way that clearly showed his disgust.  

"You can sleep on my bed.  I'll sleep on the couch downstairs," he said with a sigh, and then kind of shoved me so I fell back-first onto the mattress.  Well, isn't he gentle?

I mentally scoffed and sat up, scratching my black hair.  I remember the kids in the orphanage putting red hair dye into it, so that a part of my bangs were red.  It looked extremely weird, unlike his really pretty blonde hair.  Suddenly self-conscious, I tugged at the strands of red hair, somehow trying to hide them.  But, of course, like any other person, he took interest in it. 

"Interesting hair colors," he commented, sitting down beside me.

I just nodded.  Having him this close was really nerve wracking.

"You should dye your hair blonde," Byunghun said, examining me.  "Yeah, blonde would suit you well."

I scowled.  "Blonde?" I asked.  "Blonde would look terrible on me."  I pouted and scooted away from him, which kind of seem to piss him off.

He shrugged and grabbed what I took to be his school uniform and bag, and then slammed the door shut after he left.  Okay.  Rough start.  It would get better.

Too bad it didn't.  At least, not really.

*~*~*

A/N: Really sloppy chapter because I'm in a rush.  I might update it again though.  Now I have to go pick up my grandma from the airport >.>