Birthday? Nah

Birthday? Nah

 

BIRTHDAY? NAH [1]
 
[SEVENTEENTH BIRTHDAY]
 
 
My so-called birthday 'bash' started early noon. 
 
It was a lunch at our hotel.
 
Only the important people came. (I'm not saying my friends are not important arraseo?)
 
My relatives, the business partners of my dad, family friends, people who works in our companies etcetera etcetera. . .
 
They handed me really formal gifts.
 
Appropriate for a 22 year old guy.
 
But all of us know how boring it could be mingling and dining with these kind of people.
 
Okay so I'm a son of a rich man but I don't count with the people who are serious in life...not to mention plastic.
 
With only money, how their business will expand or making a good impression to my dad in their minds.
 
 
At about one thirthy , they started to 'evacuate'... and soon the real party will begin...unfortunately I'll wait hours more for the party people to come.
 
And ofcourse this is a party so no one knows when it will end.
 
Maybe early tomorrow?
 
 
When I returned to our house, I went straight to my room and change my formal clothes into comfortable ones.
 
I sat near the piano. I checked the time and it's still century away from the party so I played 'our' favorite music piece.
 
 
= = =flashback= = =
 
"Bae?"
 
I excitedly looked to the door and saw Kyon Min standing shyly. My fiancee...
 
It's my seventeenth birthday then.
 
Young I know but we grew up together.
 
I remember my father telling me about my fiancee when I was ten.
 
Ten! I'm not even at my puberty stage yet I already have a fiancee!!
 
Rich families. Tsk. A lot of crazy things run in their minds just for the sake of expanding the business...
 
I was just ten but thanks to my parents that they enrolled me in the most outstanding school in Korea that I am taught to speak my mind if I know I'm right. I knew how to stand my ground.
 
Imagine a ten year old boy shouting at his father that he'll not obey what his father says.
 
Crazy.
 
After a year I liked a girl. 
 
I was so obssessed in her that I did everything to befriends with her. 
 
It was a success when she shook hands with me one afternoon and said her name.
 
We became friends and then more than friends.
 
When I was sixteen, my father reminded me about my fixed marriage and again we argued.
 
But I don't know how he made me say yes when he said that 'just give it a try son.'
 
And so, off with my date with this mysterious fiancee.
 
But the only thing in my mind was that, the moment I see her, I'll tell her straight that I can't marry her because I already have someone I like. 
 
And I'm quite sure she'll say the same thing so I'm positive that my plan will work out.
 
I kept the date secret from Kyon Min.
 
Outside her innocent, fresh and cute appearance lies a jealous girlfriend.
 
When I got to the venue, I hated it how the back of my fiancee resembles to my girlfriend.
 
"no originality" I muttered.
 
My parents heard me and they elbowed me but they seemed to be so happy.
 
Like they're anticipating my reaction when I see her.
 
'No one can make me smile like Kyon Min does to me!' I shouted in my mind.
 
When we got to see each other's faces, I was mute for a minute.
 
My parents gave me a two thumbs up. 
 
Their faces told me, "See son? You shoul've agreed to the fixed marriage long before. Anyway, still good. Your fiancee got to be your girlfriend first."
 
They went out with Kyon Min's parents who are the best friends of my parents since they were teens.
 
"Hi Dong Young Bae! Nice to meet you." she said sarcastically with her soft, angelic voice.
 
"K-Kyon Min?!" I nearly slammed my hands on the table good thing my muscles were locked for the moment.
 
"Hi Bae~~" she smiled cheerfully her dimples showing off, "you didn't tell your girlfriend you have a date today with your fiancee?" she asked  with sarcasm on her voice.
 
I gulped. 
 
'busted'.
 
But she's my fiancee! 
 
Still... I lied to her.
 
Could it be possible that she's jealous with her own self?
 
I sighed and tried to change the subject.
 
A lot of happy thoughts are going in my mind right now.
 
 
---
As Kyon Min walks closer, I pretended to be mad at her and looked dramatically outside the open window.
 
"Bae~" I felt her arms slowly wrapping around my waist but I could sense that she's still shy about showing her expression for her arms were loose on my waist.
 
While looking outside the garden glowing under the moon light, I tried to imagine how she's pouting right now. 
 
"Bae~~" she cooed.
 
I didn't budge.
 
I felt my body tensed when her arms tightened on my waist like she's holding for support.
 
"Bae~ talk to me" her voice wavered.
 
Oops. I think I'll make her cry soon.
 
I turned around and got surprised that tears were already forming in her chinky eyes.
 
I quickly caressed her face, "hey,"
 
"hey too" she replied with a smile that finally I spoke to her, "are you m-mad?"
 
"I'm not mad! It's just that...that, I was waiting for you the whole day. It's my birthday today. And what time is it already, it's already past 11. You're my fiancee. I was kinda expecting you to be at my side when I woke up until I sleep--but hey, no green thoughts 'kay?"
 
"jinja?" she asked wiping her tears away.
 
"yep."
 
"but I still made it on time...right?" she tried to reason out looking at the wall clock which read 11:30 pm.
 
I sighed but smiled afterwards. 
 
She looks so cute trying to make herself feel okay.
 
"Yeah. Whatever you say" I said it so she won't feel bad that I was a little mad at her about her being 'too' late showing up on my birthday, "and oh 'Dik Ya'?,"
 
She frowned upon hearing the name that her friends used to call her. 
 
It means jellyfish in other language. 
 
Because it represents her other personality. 
 
Jealous girlfriend.
 
I call her that when I make fun of her and she gets irritated.
 
But now, she didn't gave me an irritated look.
 
Just an anticipation of what I will tell her.
 
"Yes Bae?"
 
"Next time, please don't make me wait. It makes me worried. Really worried" I said in pleading eyes.
 
She shrugged, "Okay, I'm so sorry. But can we drop that topic? I want you to here something" she asked like a child.
 
I nodded and she made me sit with her in front of the grand piano inside my room.
 
She placed her long fingers on the keys.
 
I stiffled a laugh.
 
I know she doesn't play the piano though she knows how to play other intstruments.
 
She gave me a look and I quickly said "sorry" and zipped my mouth.
 
I'm readying my ears to hear an aweful music.
 
But I promised to myself that I'll never laugh when she starts playing.
 
My eyes widened when I heard a beatiful melody.
 
It was just so right.
 
Very calming.
 
And it struck my mind.
 
It's the piece that I'm trying to finish for years.
 
'Wedding dress.'
 
But I never got to finish it.
 
I can't find the right melody to continue the song.
 
I hummed as she play.
 
I was about to clap when the unfinished song is about to finish and readying myself to congratulate her that she knows how to play the piano now though she still makes some mistakes, and she even played my song. 
 
I froze when she just continued on.
 
I stared at her in surprise as she just keeps her eyes on the keys as if she is trying her best not to make any mistake.
 
My unfinished song finally got a continuation.
 
It fits!! My mind absorbed everything.
 
I nearly cried. 
 
My girlfriend who doesn't know how to play piano gave all her best to even finish my unfinished song and the melody was just perfect!!
 
After awhile, she finally stopped,
 
"so...?" she asked
 
"perfect" I suddenly blurted and hugged her tight that she tried to shove me away so she can breath but I didn't move an inch so she just hugged me back, "I hope you liked it" she whisphered. Her lips touching my ear like she was teasing me.
 
 
"I.LOVE.IT" I also whisphered in her ears the way she did it to me and she laughed. 
 
Maybe she got tickled by it.
 
"I was out the whole day practicing the piece and completing it with the help of YeSung-"
 
I frowned. The music genious guy in school that Kyon Min idolizes...
 
Kyon Min seemed to be aware of my thinking so she suddenly said still hugging me,
 
"before any violent reaction, I just want to clear that I only have one boyfriend and his name is Dong Young Bae and one day I'll be marrying him not because we're in a fixed marriage but because I love him so much!" she squeezed me hard and I laughed, "anyway, with the help of 'that guy'"
 
I laughed as she avoided to say his name
 
"...I completed your song. But he'd only help me in some parts. So be proud that I'm still the one who completed it and  no one else. And I'm so sorry that I just showed up now. I don't want to go to you without bringing anything special so during the day, I was practicing 'Wedding Dress' that I did not notice the time because I don't want to embarass myself infront of you. I hope you liked the way I played it and also the continuation of the song..."
 
I faced her, "As I said, I love it...so much!"
 
She smiled in a flattering way.
 
I turned to the piano, "So, future Mrs. Dong Kyon Min, would you like to sing while I play it again?"
 
She grinned at me "ofcourse hubby"
 
It wasn't that hard for me to play the piano.
 
I memorized the whole Wedding Dress awhile ago while she's playing it.
 
I played and she sang.
 
We just belong together!
 
After our mini concert, with only the appliances inside my room as our audience, Kyon Min checked the time.
 
"10 seconds more and your birthday is done" she murmured.
 
She suddenly looked at me and without any words or warning, she grabbed me by the collar and kissed me gently on the lips
 
After some seconds, she pulled out and said something that made my heart flutter, "saranghae Bae~by"
 
And it was 12:01 am.
 
My birthday is done.
 
I'll wait one year again.
 
I am so happy.
 
Her gifts were her firsts.
 
First time playing the piano.
 
First time involving herself in the piano to finish my song
 
Her first kiss
 
Her first "baby" word.
 
I love her so much!
 
====end of flashback====
 
 
...tic...
 
...toc...
 
...tic...
 
...toc...
 
Can I just smash the Grandfather's clock right now?
 
Looking at it, I take back what I said.
 
Appa will definitely kill me if I broke his thousand dollars grandfather's clock.
 
And it's so huge that I have no plan on wasting my time on breaking it.
 
I have to look nice.
 
No no no. 
 
Fresh.
 
Kyon Min will come.
 
I have to look good...for my wife.
 
Now my waiting begins.