Three

Eternal Paradise.

 

 

“Soojung-ah.”

“Omma?” Krystal slowly opened one eye. Oh boy was she disappointed. It was Jaejoong, her sister’s boyfriend.

“You’re awake!”

“Wowie,” she said feeling annoyed. Somehow men always choose the right words to annoy her. Firstly Se Hun, then Kai and now Jaejoong.

 

But she was annoyed at Jaejoong the most. Not due to the fact that she called out her mother but was greeted with his usually cheerful face, but due to the fact that he was ALWAYS cheerful.

Take yesterday for example. No one in the right mind would come back smiling like he did after getting that dreaded letter of dismissal. A sane person would just get themselves drunk and come back home looking wasted while shouting at their wife or girlfriend.

But not Jaejoong.

She had known him for a long time now; practically all her life really. He married her sister about 2 years ago, right after their parent’s death. So in a way he was family. Sure you could depend on him to be the man of the family, but the fact was he was clumsy and everything he touched would break. And through all that he would never lose that smile.

This annoyed her to her wits end.

“Would you like some porridge?” Jaejoong beamed, “I made it especially for you.” Cooking was the only thing he excelled in.

“Yes please,” she nodded. Her stomach grumbled.

He watched as she gobbled up the whole bowl in less than 1 minute.

“Anymore?” she pleaded. Although she knew the answer, she didn’t hesitate to ask for a second serving.

“Ani,” he lowered his head. This was the first time he had a glint of sadness in his eyes. But his cheesy smile was still pasted on him.

“Never mind,” Krystal gave a forced burp, “I’m full anyways. Thanks oppa.”

“Krystal,” Jaejoong said in a serious tone, “I just wanted to say sorry.”

“For what?” Krystal scoffed, “Take back your apology. It’s not your fault.”

“I will work harder to bring more for you and your sister. I promise,” a smile crept up his face once more, “Then I’ll buy you anything you want. You like beef right? I’ll buy you truck loads. And then we’ll go on holiday. You’ve always wanted to go to Paris right?”

“Focus on getting a job first,” she giggled. This was his charm.

The door creaked open slightly and a familiar person came through.

“Unnie,” Krystal beamed.

“You woke up?” Jessica, her older sister patted her face, “I’m sorry Soojung-ah.”

“Why is everyone apologizing?” Krystal rolled her eyes.

“Well we didn’t have enough money to send you to a clinic to get proper medicine,” Jessica lowered her head in shame.

“I hate clinics anyways. For one thing I should be thanking you,” Krystal nodded.

Krystal could see the tear waiting to fall at the edge of her eyes. She sighed.

“Unnie,” she brushed the tear away, “its ok. It’s my fault anyway.”

“I’ve got to get to work,” Jessica put on a brave face, “You two take care of the house for me.”

Her sister hurriedly shut the door behind her. Krystal very well knew that her sister was probably crying at the other side of the door. Jessica had always put on a brave face.

“I think I’d better comfort her,” Jaejoong smiled as he too retreated.

 

___________________________________________________________________________

She turned her head from left to right and repeated it over to see if he was there. She had spent her whole waking day at school avoiding him as the embarrassment from yesterday had still not subsided.

“Yo!”

“Ahhhh!” Krystal jumped a few steps from where she was standing, “Yah!”

“Ouch!” he flinched as she gave him a full blown punch.

“Oh Se Hun!” she said feeling annoyed, “Don’t do that!”

“Do what?” Se Hun asked, “It was a mere greeting.”

“Don’t creep up like that!” Krystal sighed at the ever composed friend of hers.

“Mianhae,” he said, “For that and yesterday.”

“Ah yes, yesterday.” She had forgotten all about Se Hun.

“Does that mean I’m forgiven?” Se Hun asked.

“No!” Krystal pouted.

“Look, I didn’t mean to say that. Sometimes my tongue slips a few unnecessary things,” Se Hun explained, “I won’t bring up his name again. I promise. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?”

Krystal smirked at this golden chance, “I am feeling a little bit hungry.”

“That’s not surprising,” Se Hun gave a slight smile.

“Let’s go to lunch then pretty boy,” she smiled as she slung her hands over his shoulder. There was no way she could stay angry at him.

“On second thoughts, I should just buy you milk,” Se Hun rolled his eyes as he brushed off her hand, “You need to grow more to be able to sling your hands over me.” And then he slung his hand over her shoulder.

_____________________________________________________________

“What happened to you yesterday anyway?” Se Hun asked as he chose a variety of salads, “I heard you fainted outside. Some girls said they saw Kai carrying you to the nurse’s office.”

“Ah,” Krystal attempted to avoid his question, “It’s a long story.”

“I have all the time in the world,” Se Hun stared at her.

“You wouldn’t understand,” Krystal shook her head.

“Try me Jung,” Se Hun said as he grabbed an apple juice.

“Well…”

“My jacket.”

“Mwoh?” Krystal chocked on a piece of bread. It was him again.

“I need my jacket,” Kai stuck out his hand.

“It’s in my locker,” Krystal said, still unable to face him.

“Let’s go get it then,” Kai looked annoyed.

“At least let her eat lunch,” Se Hun calmly replied. He seemed unfazed by any of the drama that unfolded before his eyes.

“It’s ok Se Hun,” Krystal nodded, “Save me a seat. I’ll just go return his jacket first.”

Se Hun did as he was told. She felt annoyed.

She was left standing in line with Kai. People were pointing and murmuring.

“She’s so lucky!” a person whispered.

“She’s best friend with Oh Se Hun and now something is going on with her and Kai,” another whined.

“Too bad her temper is unpredictable or else I’d definitely want to hang out with her.” This was the bottom line.

“Let’s go slowcoach,” Kai grabbed her hand and pulled her along the cafeteria.

Their muttering became louder. It finally stopped when both of them exited the cafeteria.

“Your number?” Kai asked.

“Excuse me?” Krystal looked shocked. Did he just ask for my number?

“Your locker number.”

Krystal coughed in embarrassment, “279.”

“Upstairs,” he nodded as he walked along the corridor, “Anyway, what happened yesterday?”

“Um,” Krystal walked whilst looking at the floor, “I dunno.”

“You just went all drama,” Kai smirked, “I am aware of my popularity but I’ve never seen a girl faint after receiving a jacket from me.”

“Oi!” Krystal said in irritation, “I did not faint because of the jacket.”

“You should be thanking me,” Kai snorted, “You were heavy.”

“Hmph” Krystal bit her lip feeling flustered.

“279.”

Krystal quickly turned the lock, “180793.” It was meant to be a whisper but Kai overheard.

“Sounds like a birthday,” Kai grinned, “Is it yours?”

“No,” Krystal said feeling bothered by his question.

“Your boyfriend?” he asked again.

She froze. She didn’t move an inch. Kai noticed.

“Forget I asked,” Kai quickly withdrew his question.

“Take your stupid jacket and stop bumping into me,” Krystal said furiously, “And stop saving me.”

She slammed her locker. It bounced open. She hadn’t realized as she was already half way down the stairs.

“Yah!” he called after her but to no success. She was already gone.

“You could’ve at least closed your locker properly,” he huffed as he went over to her locker.

As he was about to close it, something flew out the locker. It was a picture of Krystal hand in hand with someone. He turned over to read the note on the back.

“Jung,” he read aloud, “5 years of matching footsteps and holding hands. I love you.”

That must be her boyfriend.

He turned to take a better look of the male that stood beside her.

“Kinda lanky. Thick lips. Nice jaw line though. Kinda reminds me of someone.”