Final

Eat Your Kimchi and Propose Like A Man!

"When we first met, I called you Martina," he said solemnly, taking her hands and gazing intensely into her eyes. "Then I called you Sunshine, then I called you Snuggleduck. And now, I'm hoping to call you my wife." Out of nowhere, he whipped out a tiny blue box wrapped in chocolate brown ribbon, and inside was a gorgeous engagement ring.

Martina burst into tears at Simon's beautiful proposal.

"Yes," she sobbed, her heart bursting with emotions. "Yes, of course I'll marry you!" Simon slipped the ring onto her finger, grabbed her hand and ran out of the classroom and up the stairs before Martina could process what was happening. Half-blinded by tears, she followed him up to the street, where another limo was waiting.

They got in and it sped away, while Martina took out her phone and fumbled with the number keys as Simon encouraged her to call her family but to her frustration, no one picked up. Flustered, she tried again and again, but to no avail.

Shortly, the limo came to a stop, and Martina realised she had been distracted enough to not figure out where they had been heading. It wasn't until she actually got out of the limo when she finally saw that she was in front of a restaurant in her recently-passed-away grandmother's neighbourhood. She was stunned to find herself here.

"Come on," Simon said softly, and Martina let herself be pulled into the restaurant, only to be surprised again by her family waiting for her with a bottle of champagne.

"So that your grandmother can be with us," he said quietly in her ear. She threw her arms around his neck, overwhelmed by a range of emotions. She was a sobbing jumbled mess of surprised, overjoyed, touched, and confused.

"All of you knew?" she asked when she managed to calm down to a certain degree.

"Yep," her sister grinned. "I bought your engagement ring with Simon last week."

"And he asked us for your hand in marriage," her father said proudly.

"You chose well, Martina," her mother hugged her. Tears sprang to her eyes yet again, and when she looked at her mother she saw that she wasn't alone.

 

They had a wonderful and delicious dinner. Before they left, Martina dug a nicely wrapped box out of her bag.

"Uh, Simon, this is for you," she gave him the package. "It's not much... I mean, I had no idea you were gonna propose, so..." she trailed off embarrassedly. Simon ripped off the wrapping and a CD box fell into his hands.

"It's a mix CD," she explained, blushing furiously. Simon bear-hugged her.

"I love it," he told her sincerely. "Thank you." And he kissed her. Martina's sister wolf-whistled and plucked the CD out of Simon's hands. "Let's listen to this in the car!"

 

Later, their friend gave Martina a stack of poems--- exactly the ones which had been scattered around the classroom on the day of the proposal. Martina kept them lovingly in a box. That friend was in league with Simon too--- she was the one who booked and prepared that classroom, and the 'wrong number' who had called Simon. They had planned it down to the smallest detail--- when Simon said "hello? Who? Wrong number", it meant that they were 10 minutes away from the classroom. Martina was highly impressed.

They got their pinky rings resized to become their wedding rings. When they bought them all those months ago, they already knew they were going to end up as their wedding rings. It was only a matter of time when they officially got married.

 

One year and three months later, they got married. They had their wedding reception at Hart House in that exact same restaurant. When they said 'I do', they said it with confidence, because they knew they had found the one. They had never been happier.

 

 

 

 

 

~six years later~

"Finished yet?" Simon asked, appearing at Martina's elbow.

"Almost!" Martina typed in the last few words. "Done!"

"What have you written?" Simon started to read.

"A lot of people have commented how we seem like we’re best friends, and some are shocked that we’re married, because this isn’t what marriages usually seem like. Shouldn’t there be fighting, or tension, or awkwardness, or disinterest? Shouldn’t married couples get bored of one another, or devolve into a state of just tolerating the other person? We don’t know. Maybe that’s what other people’s relationships are like, but for us, we value each other’s happiness more than anything else. Marriage isn’t really a status or an achievement, like “Congrats! You’ve unlocked the “Married” badge!” Marriage is a full-time job, a life goal. It’s more important than the job at the office or the game on TV. Marriage isn’t like “yay! I’m finally married! Whoo! Glad I got that over with before I got old!” We’re not married for the sake of being married; we’re married because we love each other. Our #1 goal is to keep each other happy and smiling. Advancing a career, or getting mortgage and a house, or doing something else that just doesn’t freaking matter, isn’t nearly as important as making sure we keep each other happy."

"Exactly what I would've written," he kissed Martina on the cheek.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMG. IT'S FINISHED. I'VE DONE IT. WOOHOO~~~

I feel like I haven't done them justice though. It's not nearly as fluffy enough. *breaks down sobbing*

Imma send them the link now... eek. Wish me luck.

Oh and Simon and Martina, if you're reading this... I do hope it wasn't too far from the real story! Did you like it? I hope you did :3