Five

Eat Your Kimchi and Propose Like A Man!

One year later, on their first date anniversary--- or their 'dateaversary', as they liked to call it--- Simon went to Martina's place early in the morning to surprise her with a special dateaversary breakfast. She wasn't even awake yet.

"Mom?" Martina mumbled as she shuffled into the kitchen, still half-asleep.

"Morning, sunshine," Simon greeted from the counter, and at that moment, even with the sunshine flooding the kitchen with warm light, Martina was his own personal ray of sunshine.

"Simon?" she squinted at him. "What're you doing here?"

"Making you breakfast. Now go brush your teeth, I'm almost done," he said, nudging her in the direction of the bathroom.

Five minutes later, Martina appeared in the kitchen again.

"Happy dateaversary!" Simon beamed, holding a plate in his hands. "Sit down, I made you burrito hearts!"

Martina looked down at her plate, at the burrito cut in half and placed like a heart. She smiled happily and dug in.

"Martina, darling, I'm going out for a bit," her mother said, walking into the kitchen in the middle of breakfast. Simon stared at her.

"Oh don't worry Simon, I'm just buying some groceries. I'll be back in time," she instantly assured him.

"Oh, of course," he said quickly. "Have a safe trip!"

"Back in time for what?" Martina asked blankly.

"I got a lunch reservation at noon at a fancy restaurant," he told her, chuckling. "Go get ready, your mom'll be back soon and we'll be using her car."

"Okay," she said obediently, and went to shower.

 

Simon let out a low whistle as he got up from the sofa.

"You look gorgeous, babe," he whispered, kissing Martina on the nose. She giggled. She was wearing a sleeveless black dress with uneven hot pink stripes slashed across her body.

"I thought we were going somewhere fancy? What're you doing in a tee and shorts?" Martina asked curiously.

"Ah, I've taken them off. Didn't wanna crease them," Simon said seriously.

"What exactly were you doing just now?" Martina narrowed her eyes.

"Lying on the couch," he confessed sheepishly.

"You pig, Simon," she sighed, shaking her head. "It's almost 11:30, where's Mom?"

"I bet she'll be here any moment, relax."

Five minutes later, she still wasn't there.

"Simon..." Martina said anxiously.

"It takes half an hour to get there," Simon muttered under his breath. He looked up. "Call her."

"Already a step ahead of you," she replied, phone to her ear. "Simon, it's gone straight to her voicemail!"

"Damn," he cursed. He paced around the room, glancing at the clock on the mantelpiece much too often.

"Come on, come on, come on," Martina muttered, redialing every time she was sent to her mother's voicemail. By 11:45, they were panicking.

"You know what?" Simon said abruptly, changing swiftly into his and trousers. "Let's get a cab, we can't wait any longer." Martina grabbed her bag and Simon flung on his jacket as they rushed out of the house.

Martina stopped dead. "Simon..." she shook her head disbelievingly. There was a limousine parked in front of her house. Simon grinned.

"After you, m'lady," he bowed, sweeping his arm towards the open door.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, my god. You should see my notes. I actually took notes while watching the video as if it was an exam or something. Omg. It's so weird but just so necessary at the same time omg. I'm laughing so hard right now my stomach seriously hurts. I HAVE STITCHES IN MY STITCHES.