Four

Eat Your Kimchi and Propose Like A Man!

 

They dated for around a month. Well, kind of. Simon tried his best to be a good boyfriend but Jessica quickly got tired of playing the cute and nice girlfriend. It wasn't exactly like Jessica didn't treat Simon well; she simply didn't treat him as a boyfriend, but more as a friend. She wouldn't even hold hands.

Martina was not pleased and told Jessica off quite a number of times.

"Why can't you treat him like a boyfriend?" she would cry exasperatedly. "He's perfect boyfriend material!"

Jessica couldn't seem to get it to Martina's head that Simon just wasn't her type. She tried, but Martina didn't seem to understand.

"What do you mean, not your type? He's like the most amazing person ever! He's smart and funny and sweet and nice, what more could you want?!"

It was only after Martina had gone home and calmed down a bit after flipping out for the millionth time when she realised she was overreacting. Really, was it necessary to explode like that when Jessica said Simon wasn't her type? So what if he isn't her type? They didn't necessarily have to be together just because she tried to hook them up. Why did she have to automatically defend Simon like that?

She was watching TV when it suddenly hit her. Maybe she wasn't being unnecessary. Maybe she wasn't overreacting.

Maybe she had a crush on Simon.

She had never thought of this before. But now that she thought of it, it all seemed so clear now. Why they became best friends so quickly. Why she felt safe and secure whenever he was around. Why she was always instinctively protecting him.

And the more she thought about it, the more she wondered when she had started crushing on Simon. Maybe she had all along, and she just didn't know. Maybe she dismissed those feelings as mere friendship.

Maybe, just maybe, Simon liked her too. She hoped he did.

She thought back to the day they were properly introduced to each other, that day he offered her trail mix for the first time. He seemed so nice. A stranger wouldn't be so nice.... would he? And that study date in the library... was Simon trying to get a proper date? She had thought he looked strange after she said she had a boyfriend.

Martina marvelled at her absolute stupidity and obliviousness.

Wait. Boyfriend.

She couldn't have a crush on Simon, she already had a boyfriend.

But Johnny Depp once said "If you love two people at the same time, choose the second one, because if you really loved the first one you wouldnt have fallen for the second."

Should she choose Simon?

But what if she dumped her current boyfriend only to find out that she was wrong about Simon and he only liked her as a friend? What then?

Only one way to find out. She called him.

"Simon...?" she asked tentatively when he picked up.

"Yes? Martina, what's the matter?" he said concernedly.

"D'you..." she took a deep breath. It was now or never. "D'you like me?"

"What do you mean, like? You're my friend, of course I like you," Simon answered quickly. Martina facepalmed.

"No, I mean, like like. Like, um, how Will Turner like Elizabeth Swan."

Silence at the other end.

"Hello? You still there?"

"Why do you ask me that?" He asked hoarsely.

"Because... because... because I think I like you," she whispered.

"Really? You mean it?" Simon gasped.

"Yes," Martina confirmed quietly. Simon let out a low whistle.

"I can't believe it," he muttered half to himself.

"So... do you..." she said hesitantly.

"Yes!" Simon shouted a bit too loudly. "Yes, I do like you, Martina!" He announced into the phone, suddenly filled with joy and newfound confidence. Finally. After months of hiding, hoping, his patience had finally paid off.

Martina broke into a smile so wide it stretched to her ears. "Oh my god, I'm so happy!" she squealed. "This is fantastic! I'll--- I'll call you back!" And she promptly hung up. She felt it was a bit rude, not to mention disheartening, but Simon liked her back and that was all that mattered. In the meantime, she had a boyfriend to break up with.

She felt a bit mean to break up with him so suddenly and without warning, but it couldn't be helped. Anyway, Jessica had always seemed to have a crush on him.

 

~one week later~

"So, Spiderman 2 eh?" Simon asked teasingly when they were buying tickets at the cinema.

"Spiderman's cool," Martina replied defensively, laughing.

"Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can," Simon started singing. "Spins a web, any size, catches thieves just like flies."

"Look Out! Here comes the Spiderman!" Martina sang along, giggling, not caring if people were staring.

It was their first date, but they already knew it would be a wonderful relationship. Simon was like her best friend and boyfriend at the same time and she had much more fun with him than with her previous boyfriend. She could see a beautiful road ahead, and she was going to go down that road hand in hand with Simon.

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

OMG KILL ME I TOTALLY RUINED IT OMFG *grabs gun and shoots myself in the head*

But on the bright side, HOLY CRAP I OVERCAME MY WRITER'S BLOCK HELL YEAH *throws confetti*

I swear. Their love story is so movie-like. I mean it's like a one in a million chance that the girl will actually realise that she's in love with the guy and then bam! Happy ending. That transition from the dreaded friendzone... I'm so jelly, I'm wobbling with envy. ;P