Chapter 2

SuperHuman

  YeJi observed her team mates relaxing around their barracks; Andi, or Ryder as she preferred to be called, was typing away on her computer, probably hacking, or gaming, or both.

  Hayden was playing his guitar, while Caine played the keyboard Miss Kim allowed them to have. Changmi sat close by listening to them, absently playing with a knife.

  YeJi rolled her eyes as Hayden started to show off, his fingers flying across the strings, eyes closed, and head bobbing with the music. Caine watched, easily keeping up the joker, his lips twitching in an almost smile.

  “Changmi!” Hayden said, not missing a beat “You be the vocal!”

  Changmi scoffed “I’m not singing, idiot”

  “Aww come on, sing”

  “No”

  “Sing”

  “No”

  “Come on!” Hayden turned to Caine “Come on Caine, you want her to sing to right?”

  Caine looked over at him, amusement evident on his blank face (strange statement that) “She said she didn’t want too…”

  Hayden wrinkled his nose “Aish, the two of you are really something…”

  Ryder stood up and whooped “Yes! Who’s your mommy, es!!”

  Hayden glanced over at her “Hey! I thought we weren’t allowed to use English on base!?” he said (In English)

  Caine stopped playing “That’s cause they don’t speak English”

  Changmi cocked her head in confusion “They?”

  “They” Caine glanced up pointedly, Changmi followed his gaze, forming a small “Oh” when she realized what he was looking at. There was a small camera imbedded in the ceiling, she never would have noticed it if Caine hadn’t shown her.

  YeJi walked over to Ryder curiously “So what are you freaking out about?”

  Ryder smiled “I did it; I managed to hack their system”

   “Really?” everyone crowded around Ryder as she sat back down, typing away at the computer.

   “Yeah, now just to see what exactly the higher ups are up too…”

  The group held their breath as they waited for Ryder to do whatever it is that she does. The hacker’s fingers flew across the keyboard “Almost there…” she muttered, her eyes never leaving the screen. Suddenly the room darkened, the computer screen went dark.

  YeJi crouched down next the hacker “Ryder…” she said “What. Happened?”

  “I…I don’t know…”

  The door to their barracks burst open. The team, minus Ryder, flew away from the computer as Miss Kim followed by her grunts entered the barracks.

  “And just what do you think you’re doing?” she asked coldly, her tone matching her crisp skirt suit.

  “Nothing!” all four of them said, the picture of innocence

  Miss Kim nodded, taking slow, calculated steps forward “Then you won’t mind my colleague taking your computer, will you Andi?”

  Ryder looked up, confused “Wha…?”

  Before the hacker could blink grunt number 1 grabbed her computer with one of his giant hands. Ryder flinched as the slim device crunched in the mammoth’s hand.

  “Miss Kim!” YeJi burst out

  The woman turned to YeJi “Yes?”

  YeJi hesitated “No-…nothing”

  Miss Kim smiled “Good. That will be all. See you tomorrow”

  With that she, and her grunts, left.

  The team relaxed as the door closed behind the trio. A few seconds later the lights came back on.

  “Damn…” Hayden breathed, running a hand through his hair.

  Caine and Changmi nodded, agreeing with the sentiment.

  “My computer…” Ryder lamented, staring at the door forlornly


 

0815 Somewhere in South Korea

  The five team member stood in a straight line, staring straight ahead, not moving. Which was hard for some of them (CoughHaydenCough)

  “So…” Hayden started, using English

  “So…” Caine replied

  “So…” Changmi added

  “So…” Ryder sighed

  “So…” YeJi said

  “She’s late…” Hayden said

  “Isn’t she always?” Ryder replied

  “Yeah but this time she’s even later”

  “Maybe she’s with someone” Changmi wondered

  “Miss Kim? Date?” Hayden scoffed “Don’t make me laugh”

  YeJi sighed “Here she comes…”

  Miss Kim stepped into the training center flanked by her two grunts. She was wearing plain black fatigues, like the ones the team was wearing.

  “Good day everyone” she said, coming to a halt in front of them

  “Good day Ma’am” the team replied

  Miss Kim nodded “Today we start out with sparring, so partner up”

  The team stood, confused for a moment “Ma’am?” YeJi asked

  The woman sighed “Changmi, Caine, you two pair up. Andi, Hayden, you’re together”

  Ryder looked like she was going to protest but thought better of it.

  YeJi remained stationary “And me Ma’am”

  Miss Kim smirked “You’re with me YeJi”

  YeJi followed Miss Kim over to the sword rack, each of them drawing the sharp blades. They stood ready, swords up, staring each other in the eye.

  YeJi lunged swinging her sword at Miss Kim’s shoulder, Miss Kim deflected and followed it with a stab at YeJi’s abdomen, YeJi spun away to avoid the sharp blade. Miss Kim followed, swinging her sword at YeJi’s sword arm.

  They continued like that, swing, parry, lunge, dodge, it was hard to tell who was winning, the leverage constantly changing.

  Changmi and Caine were locked in combat, they were to evenly matched, there were times when it seemed like Caine was winning, like when he got Changmi pinned to the mats, until that changed when Changmi’s forehead connected Caine’s, sending Caine staggering backwards.

  Now they were on the floor again, rolling around, trying to gain leverage. Ryder and Hayden stood watching them; they had long since finished their fight, now they were placing bets on both Changmi and Caine’s fight, and YeJi and Miss Kim’s fight. Right now it looked like Ryder was winning.

  The door to the training center opened to allow a small weasely man to enter. “Miss Kim?” he called ignoring the fact that Miss Kim was locked in a deadly sword battle.

  “What is it Doctor?” the woman asked, not missing a beat.

  “Well…uh…did you forget what today was?”

  The woman stilled “Stop!” she yelled, causing everyone in the room to freeze. “Stop what you are doing, and follow Dr. Lee.”

  Miss Kim took YeJi’s sword and motioned for her to leave. Changmi climbed off of Caine, offer a hand to pull him up. The five of them followed Dr. Lee, confused, out of the room.


 

  The team stood around the small white medical room, all of them dressed in plain white scrubs. Dr. Lee had led them to the room, gave them the scrubs to change into, and left. After Hayden had made a comment about the small doctor, and all of them silently agreed, they changed into the scrubs. They had long since gotten over changing in front of each other.

  Now they just stood there, bored and impatient. YeJi drummed her fingers on the table glaring at the camera in the corner of the room. Ryder had taken a piece of wire from somewhere and was now twisting it around.

  Changmi was lying on a cot watching Hayden and Caine play Kwai Bwai Bo over, and over, and over, again.

  Finally, when they all thought they were going to die of boredom, Dr. Lee returned with three nurses, each carrying a tray with syringes filled with strange orange liquid.

  “All right, arm’s out, sleeves up” Dr. Lee said brisk and business like.

  Still confused they obeyed, allowing the small doctor and his nurses to inject them with the liquid.

   After they were finished Dr. Lee told them to stay until someone came for them, and then left, his nurses following.

  The minutes ticked by, slowly turning into hours as they sat there, waiting.

  Hayden sighed “Maybe we should just leave…”

  “And what? Get thrown in solitary again? No thank you” Ryder said, holding her hands up in a clear sign on ‘hell no’.

  “Well I’m going” Hayden said, striding over to the door.

  YeJi narrowed her eyes as Hayden reached for the door handle, something seemed off, and her instincts were saying not to open the door. “Hayden wait” she said.

  And then the building blew up.


 

 

Dun dun dun~~~~ xP

So! How did you like it~~? Was it good? Were the characters portrayed good? Is there anything you want changed about them? Constructive criticism is always welcome!!

Comment below!!

-Min