Chapter 2

We Are Distances Apart

*Planet of Proto*

“Dongho-yah” Kangin greeted.

“Hyung-nim” Dongho greeted back, bowing to his boss.

“What are you working on today?” Kangin asked curiously, fiddling with an unfinished invention.

“A spacecraft hyung-nim” Dongho answered.

“Spacecraft?” Kangin laughed to himself.

Dongho nodded “I’m almost finished the design. Want to see hyung-nim?”

“Sure” Kangin agreed.

Dongho walked over to an object that was covered by a sheet and revealed it.

It was a futuristic design, much like everything o Proto, and Kangin approved of it.

“I like it Donghae-ah” Kangin commented “I hope you can work with AJ on this project”

Dongho nodded “I was thinking of talking to him about it today hyung-nim”

Kangin’s eyes suddenly transfixed to the small design. His heart ached and he knew why. He was thinking of the strange person from his dreams again. Maybe this spacecraft was the answer to Eunhyuk and his problems.

“Hyung-nim, what’s wrong?” Dongho asked, noticing his boss was deep in thought.

Kangin looked over to Dongho “Get the spacecraft built as soon as possible”

“I-I will hyung” Dongho agreed.

The only reason Dongho planned on building this spacecraft was because he had these dreams but the man in his dreams wasn’t from here. In fact he was far away from here so Dongho decided he would get there somehow and this was his plan. But he was far too embarrassed to tell Kangin.

“Good” Kangin said, satisfied.

~~~

“Heechul hyung…” Tao said, unsure of what the older man was doing.

“What?” Heechul asked rudely, looking up from his masterpiece.

“What is wrong with that outfit?” Tao said, scrunching up his face in disgust.

“What is wrong with it? There’s nothing wrong with it!” Heechul snapped.

“I’m not wearing it hyung. The shirt has stripes and the pants have stripes! They don’t go well together” Tao argued.

“Who’s the professional here? I think I know better than you” Heechul shot back.

Tao sighed “Yes hyung”

Heechul smiled in satisfaction before fitting the outfit properly onto his model.

“It looks perfect” Heechul said, happy with the result.

Tao rolled his eyes and walked over to the mirror. His eyes widened at the sight.

The two pieces of the outfit worked perfectly together!

“H-Hyung. I’m  sorry I ever doubted your work” Tao said, bowing before his boss.

“You better be sorry” Heechul muttered.

“Heechul! How’s your latest collection going?” Kangin’s voice suddenly said, filling the room.

Heechul andTao looked up to the door and bowed at their boss.

“It’s going fine hyung-nim” he informed “I’ve just finished one of my last pieces of the collection”

Kangin nodded in approval “I don’t know much about fashion but it looks great”

“Thankyou hyung-nim” Heechul said.

“And one last thing, are we still going drinking tonight?” Kangin asked, cocking his head slightly.

“Yeah, I need to get something off my mind” Heechul said.

“Good. I’ll see you later Heechul. Bye Tao” Kangin tossed over his shoulder.

“You’re going drinking with him again? You two are nothing but trouble…can I come?” Tao asked.

“Whatever, now shut up and try this on” Heechul grunted, shoving another outfit in Tao’s face.

He wasn’t in the best of moods right now. Especially when a strange man kept appearing in his dreams and making Heechul’s stomach flutter at the mere thought of this dream man. Nobody makes Kim Heechul’s stomach flutter! It’s just not possible but this non-existent man had that effect on him and he wasn’t impressed.

~~~

Kyuhyun smirked to himself as he tapped away at his laptop.

He was supposed to be developing a new metro system but instead he was playing StarCraft against Eunhyuk, who was also playing computer games when he was supposed to be working.

“Come on hyung! You can do better than this” Kyuhyun said.

 Eunhyuk frowned and tapped furiously at his keyboard. He wasn’t going to lose to Kyuhyun again.

Kyuhyun fist pumped when his people had destroyed Eunhyuk’s craft work and killed all of his people.

“What’s going on here” Kangin interrupted.

“Nothing” Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun said in unison, quickly minimizing their game of StarCraft so that it actually looked like they were doing work.

“Sure” Kangin said, a hint of suspicion in his voice “How is the metro system that you two are working on going?”

“Fine” Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk said together.

Kangin narrowed his eyes at them and leaned over their shoulders, looking at their progress.

“You haven’t done much” he scoffed.

“Just give us some more time” Kyuhyun said casually.

“Yeah…right” Kangin said slowly, turning around and leaving.

Kyuhyun smirked and opened his game back up on his screen.

Eunhyuk looked at him warily “Are you sure we shouldn’t get some work done?”

“We can always do it later” Kyuhyun said.

“But you know how Kangin hyung gets when he’s mad…”

“Really Eunhyuk? The guy is a big softy, I thought you of all people would know that” Kyuhyun said, brushing Eunhyuk’s words aside.

~~~

Kangin sat at his desk with a huff. It was hard work checking up on everyone’s progress. He had a city to run and all he wanted to do was sit down and relax but most of his workers wanted to do the exact same thing. But if his planet was going to become bigger, greater and more advanced there wouldn’t be time to slack off on the job.

He closed his eyes and tried to get at least a second worth of relaxation. Images of that same person from his dreams entered his mind. Every single image had the mystery person facing away from him. He wanted to see the face that has been lurking in his dream world so much but no matter how much he called out the person wouldn’t turn around. They would just stop in their tracks, causing himself to stop walking as well and stare at the person’s form.

“Hyung-nim” a voice said, causing Kangin to sit up straight in his seat.

“Eli” he said.

“You were…sleeping?” he asked, his eyebrow raising in question.

“No…of course not” Kangin said “I have an entire city to run. Why would I be sleeping?”

“It looked like you were sleeping to me…” Eli replied.

“I was resting. There’s a difference between sleeping and resting”

Eli chuckled slightly at his boss. He couldn’t hold a grudge against this man. Earlier in the year Eli was the head of technology. That was before Kyuhyun came along. Kangin had fired Eli and put Kyuhyun in his place. He said it was for the best but Eli needed the money that job had provided him with. At first he had found it hard to even talk to Kangin but the man had no intention of hurting Eli. Kangin was kind, gentle and warm even if he seemed big and scary he was the opposite.

“Hyung-nim, I came to see if you wanted a coffee” Eli said.

“A coffee would be nice. Thankyou Eli” Kangin said, nodding his head.

Eli nodded and walked off to make his boss a coffee. His new job was to make coffee for all the workers in the building. It wasn’t a hard job at all but it didn’t pay that much. Eli had ended up moving in with his friends, Yesung and Joon, who were also struggling financially.

Yesung was an artist who painted, sang and sculpted for a living. Kangin had grown a liking for the artistic man’s sculptures and paintings. He buys them and hangs them around the building, which gives Yesung a fairly good source of income.

As for Lee Joon, he was not as fortunate as Yesung because he had no job at all. None of the jobs in Proto suited him at all. He spends most of his time at home doing absolutely nothing at all.

~~~

“AJ hyung, are you busy?” Dongho asked, peering into the older man’s workshop.

AJ looked up from his current project and shook his head.

“I’m not that busy” he said.

Dongho walked inside and looked at the lump of metal AJ was currently melding together.

“What is it?” Dongho asked curiously.

“It’s nothing really. I’m just welding because I’m bored” he chuckled “I don’t have much to do right now”

“Well…I have this idea and I may need your help” Dongho said cautiously.

“You need my help? What is your idea?” AJ questioned.

“I want to build a space craft. A space craft that will allow us to travel to other planets” Dongho said.

AJ wasn’t sure why but he felt very strongly towards this idea. He wanted this project to succeed. Something at the back of his head was telling him he needed to go a specific planet. Maybe it had something to do with the man in his dreams. He had been having frequent dreams lately of another man. The man and himself would be having a good time but then the other man would get dragged away and disappear and he would wake up.

“Let’s get started then” AJ said.

“Really? Right now?” Dongho asked.

AJ nodded “The sooner it gets built the faster we can get to the strange man”

“Strange man?” Dongho asked, tilting his head.

“I-It’s just this man in my dreams… I have a feeling that he’s real and with this space craft we can find him”

“I-I’ve been having dreams like this as well…” Dongho trailed off.

“Do you feel that we need this space craft as well?” he asked.

Dongho nodded “I would give anything to meet the man of my dreams”

“Then let’s start building” AJ said, picking up his tools and a lump of metal.

Dongho nodded and helped AJ to start building the machine of their future.

~~~

Kangin opened his eyes and sat up straight in his chair as the constant knocking of the door awoke him of his nap.

“Come in” he said strongly.

The door swung open and a man stepped in. His hair swept slightly over his eyes and he held a canvas under his arm.

“Hyung-nim” he greeted with a bow.

“Yesung” Kangin replied with a smile “What work of art have you brought with you today?”

Yesung slightly smiled and held the canvas in front of him.

Kangin studied the of paint that flowed majestically on the canvas. He had absolutely no idea what the painting was but it appealed to him.

“How much do you want for this artwork?” Kangin asked, reaching into his pocket.

“Well it isn’t my best work… so maybe 10,000 won?” Yesung said in his soft voice.

Kangin nodded in agreement “I’ll take it”

Yesung’s eyes lit up. He really appreciated the way Kangin always loved his art.

Kangin handed over the money and Yesung took it bowing in respect of the man before him.

“Where should I hang this?” Kangin asked, looking around the room.

“If you’re asking for my opinion, I think you should place it next to that piece of art. They blend in well together” Yesung suggested.

Kangin nodded and hung the canvas beside the other. He stood back and smiled at the view. They did fit perfectly well together. It was as if they were meant for each other… just like he was meant for the man in his dreams…

Kangin felt himself tear up at the thought of his mystery man that only ever appeared in his dreams.

Yesung caught a glimpse of the stray tear rolling down the other man’s face. He didn’t know if he should say something about it of not…

“Hyung-nim… what’s the matter?” he decided to ask.

“It’s nothing Yesung. I-I just can’t help but think of someone when I look at those canvases” Kangin admitted.

“I know what you mean…” Yesung said, sighing.

“You do?” Kangin asked curious to what the other man was talking about.

Yesung nodded “You look at those two paintings and you know that somewhere out there is someone who is a perfect fit for you. I even dream of my perfect fit… I’m not sure what is real anymore…”

“You have dreams too?” Kangin asked.

Yesung nodded.

“Don’t worry. We will find the person of our dreams…I have a feeling” Kangin said.

~~~

Baekhyun sighed as he sat in his observatory. Nothing was happening at all! His job was just too boring.

Don’t get him wrong, he loves his job but there is nothing to discover. He had already observed all the stars around Proto and spotted all the comets that flew past regularly. So now he had nothing to do.

“Baekhyun-ah!” he heard someone yell from outside.

Baekhyun stood and walked over to the window, looking down upon the large city that stood outside the observatory.

“Baekhyun!” the voice called out once again.

Baekhyun looked down to the source of the shouting and waved down at AJ and Dongho who were standing at his door.

“Let us in!” they called out.

Baekhyun nodded and ran down the spiral staircase and watched as the automatic door slid open at his command.

“Hyungs” Baekhyun said, bowing before his guests.

“We want to know if you have any spare parts” AJ asked.

“Yeah, we’re building a spacecraft!” Dongho said, excitement lacing his tone.

“A spacecraft?” Baekhyun asked “You mean, we’re actually going into out of space?” Baekhyun asked, wide-eyed.

Dongho nodded “Isn’t it exciting?”

Baekhyun nodded as well, with almost as much enthusiasm as Dongho.

The two got up and started dancing happily around the room.

AJ rolled his eyes “Dongho, come on. Let’s go get some parts”

“Y-Yeah, you guys go and find some parts” Baekhyun said, hurrying them into the back room.

After Baekhyun had gotten rid of AJ and Dongho he sprinted back up the long spiral staircase and took a look through the giant telescope.

Baekhyun was excited. His dream was to travel far into space and discover other planets. He had always been interested in space but something was pulling at his heart. He’d been having dreams about someone who had been beckoning him to come and find him. He had a feeling that this space craft was the answer to all his problems.

He hit a few buttons to set the coordinates to his favourite cluster of stars and watched in wonder. Out of the corner of his eyes he spotted a green smudge. He sighed and got a cloth, wiping the lens vigorously. It wasn’t coming off.

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows and looked back through the lens. He set the coordinates so he could get a better view of the green blur. He couldn’t believe his eyes. It was a planet.

“H-Hyungs!” Baekhyun shouted out.

AJ and Dongho were beside Baekhyun in a flash.

“What is it hyung?” Dongho asked.

“Look through the lens” Baekhyun said.

Dongho gave Baekhyun a confused look before walking over to the lens and peeking through it. He was stunned at what he saw. His heart contorted in pain and longing. And it was then that he realised that the small green planet was where he could find the men from his and AJ’s dreams.

“A-AJ, look here” Dongho encouraged.

AJ took a look through the lens as well and gasped in surprise. He knew his other half was out there on that exact planet.

“B-Baekhyun, do you know what this means?” Dongho asked.

Baekhyun nodded unsurely “A-Are we travelling to this planet once the spacecraft is built?”

Dongho nodded and then looked over to AJ. AJ nodded and Dongho began to speak again.

“We want to know whether you’ve been having dreams...dreams of another man who you feel strongly about?”

“You seemed to be excited about the discovery of the planet, a little too excited” AJ added.

Baekhyun looked at his two hyungs. He was shocked that they knew about this. Were they having dreams similar to his as well?

“Relax Baekhyun. We’re having dreams like that as well. Most likely everyone is, that’s why we want to get this spacecraft built quickly” AJ told Baekhyun.

Baekhyun nodded “I’ll inform Kangin-nim of the situation then”

Baekhyun went off to inform their leader of what was going on while AJ and Dongho went off to continue with the spacecraft.

~~~

A/N Sorry if this was a little boring but I promise that the next chapter (whenever I end up finishing it and posting it) will be better!! Please subscribe, I’M BEGGING YOU^^