Chapter 3

We Are Distances Apart

*Planet of Salv’ias*

“Donghae-ah” Leeteuk said softly as he walked into the hospital room.

“Hyung?” Donghae asked, looking up at the older man.

“How are you feeling?” Leeteuk asked, taking a seat beside the hospital bed.

“It hurts” Donghae said with a pout “And now I have to miss out on the festival”

“Don’t worry Donghae. I’ll keep you company” Leeteuk said.

“But hyung, if you stay with me then you’ll miss out on the festival too!”

“It doesn’t matter. There’s always next year, right?” Leeteuk said, smiling at his companion.

Donghae smiled back at his favourite hyung.

“Thankyou Teukie hyung” he said gratefully.

“You’re very welcome Donghae-ah” Leeteuk said warmly “I just hope the festival goes well for the others”

“Don’t worry about it Leeteuk hyung. They’ll be fine” Donghae said “Now go home and get some rest for tomorrow, will you?”

~~~

A large crowd had gathered around the stage in the early morning on the day of the festival. Sungmin stood in the middle of that stage waiting for the elves to settle down.

“Good morning everyone! Today is the day of our annual festival!” he finally announced.

There was a round of cheers throughout the audience.

“We will start the ceremony in a few minutes but first we will have a few words from our leader!” Sungmin informed.

The village people cheered as Leeteuk stepped up to the stage.

“Good morning my lovely elves” Leeteuk started off “As you all know, today is our annual festival. I hope everyone makes the most of this memorable day. Today I will not be attending this festival but I wish that those of you who are attending have a wonderful time and enjoy yourselves. Can we also have a round of applause to Sungmin, who organised this day”

Everyone clapped and cheered for Sungmin.

“And could we also have a round of applause for Ryeowook, who prepared all of the food and Kris and Mir for building this stage and all the others who helped in some sort of way” Leeteuk continued.

The audience cheered once again and Leeteuk left the stage and all the elves went to check out the stalls and rides.

As Leeteuk was walking back to the hospital one of the stalls caught him eye. There was a small toy fish. He thought Donghae might like it so he quickly bought it along with a bag of Donghae’s favourite candies.

~~~

“Slow down children!” Soohyun called out, trying to keep up with his students.

The children were very excited about the festival that they would run to every stall and go on every ride but Soohyun just couldn’t keep up with them.

“Seongsaengnim!” a small voice shouted.

Soohyun got startled and looked over to the small child. Nichkhun was jumping up and down in excitement at one particular stall. Soohyun looked back over at the others and they all seemed to be occupied with something else so he took the time to walk over to where Nichkhun stood.

“What is it Khunnie-ah?” Soohyun asked.

Nichkhun just pointed to something in the stall and beamed at his teacher. There was a thick ink brush with wooden carvings on the handle. Nichkhun had obviously set his eyes on it and Soohyun felt like he had to buy it for him. The boy had a dream and Soohyun knew how he felt. He had always dreamed of becoming a teacher as a child and now he was living that dream. He wanted the same for the small boy.

“Since you have been such a good boy today I might just get it for you” Soohyun said, picking up the brush and paying for it.

He turned around and presented the gift to Nichkhun and the young child accepted the gift happily. He held the ink brush in front of him and his eyes gleamed with happiness. With this ink brush he could make art as much as he wants to at home!

“Seongsaengnim!!” another child called out.

Soohyun looked over to where the other boy was standing.

“Yes Junho?”

“Because you bought that brush for Khunnie…can you buy this for me?” he asked, pointing at an item at a different stall.

Soohyun sighed. What had he just done? Now that he bought a gift for Nichkhun, everybody will want a gift from him!

He just shook his head and smiled. These things were all part of being a teacher.

~~~

Kiseop held Kevin’s hand in his. It felt amazing to have somebody else in his hands, to have somebody to spend every single second of the day with. The one bad thing about this was that Kevin didn’t seem to be enjoying himself as much as Kiseop was.

“Kiseop-hyung...” Kevin said.

“Yes Vinnie?”

“Can we have something to eat now? I’m hungry” Kevin said with a lingering pout on his face that came naturally to Kevin.

Kiseop could feel the blood rushing to his cheeks. Kevin was flawless in every single way and even though Kevin didn’t see Kiseop in the same light Kiseop saw him, this was the best thing that has ever happened to Kiseop in his life. Being with Kevin made him feel complete but Kevin had no idea how Kiseop was feeling at the moment. Kevin thought that the only reason Kiseop was with him is because he was lonely and desperate but little did he know that Kiseop felt strongly towards him…

~~~

“Annyeong~” Leeteuk greeted as he walked through the front door of the small hospital.

“Oh…hey hyung” Donghae said softly, his head hung low.

“Donghae-ah, don’t look so down” Leeteuk said, pulling up a chair beside the hospital bed.

“Sorry hyung… I just want to go to the festival so bad… but it’s not just that, I want to go to the festival with the person I’m missing” Donghae said, looking up to Leeteuk.

“I know how you feel Donghae-ah…” Leeteuk said “But…maybe this will cheer you up!”

Leeteuk pulled out a bag and handed it to Donghae.

“Hyung, what’s this for?” Donghae asked, tilting his head a little.

“It’s a gift to make you feel better” Leeteuk said, leaning over and tucking a strand of loose hair behind the younger boy’s ear with a caring smile.

“Hyung-ah, you didn’t have to do that…I’m fine. Really” Donghae said, feeling guilty for making the leader worry.

“It’s okay Donghae. I just saw this and I thought of you. After all you are one of my favourite dongsaengs”

Donghae smiled and opened the brown paper bag. In it was a small stuffed fish. Donghae took it out of its bag and held it in front of his face.

“It looks a bit like me, doesn’t it?” he asked.

Leeteuk laughed “It looks exactly like you”

Donghae looked in the bag again and spotted a smaller bag.

“There’s more?” he asked.

Leeteuk nodded.

Donghae pulled out the smaller bag and began to un-tie the ribbons. Once it was open he reached in his hand and grabbed a handful of his favourite candies.

“Hyung! You really didn’t have to!” Donghae said while stuffing the candies into his mouth.

Leeteuk just smiled and nodded.

“Oh and hyung” Donghae said, his voice muffled because he was still eating his candies.

“Yes?”

“Have I ever told you you’re the best?” Donghae said with a candy filled smile.

Leeteuk’s heart warmed at what Donghae had just said. He really did feel like Donghae was his son and he really did want the best for him.

~~~

A/N I’m so sorry this is so late and so bad! DX And I hope you guys haven’t forgotten about this story because it took me so long to update!!! ;;; //dances sorry sorry//