The Thousandth Man (Hyomin/Woohyun ft. JJCouple)

Oneshot Collection

 

Her name is Park Hyomin; it is only one of the many names she has used in her long life.

His name is Nam Woohyun, the only name he has ever had – and frankly he regularly wishes he could change it; he thinks that Myungsoo and Hoya’s names are much cooler.

She was a woman of seduction, a woman who had used hundreds of men for her own gain.

He was little more than a naïve child who had never even been in one relationship.

She is a thousand year old gumiho, searching for the last heart that will turn her into a human.

And he is her latest target.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Park Hyomin yawned tiredly as she scrolled quickly through the internet page. She bit back a sigh; it was all just the usual haters hating on T-ara, although there seemed to be a lot more after Hwayoung left the group. There were some fans who stuck with T-ara, but the others… well, even a gumiho could be hurt by harsh words.

Her phone rang, playing T-ara’s Day by Day; Hyomin smiled when she saw the caller ID and quickly picked up, “Hwayoung-ah! It’s been a while since you called, how’re you doing?”

Hwayoung’s voice was cheery as she replied, “We’ve just come back from Singapore, it’s great to have a real vacation at last.” Her voice became subdued as she continued, “I saw all the internet comments, unnie…those haters…I’m sorry my argument with the CEO caused you all so much trouble, I didn’t expect him to…” her voice trailed off sadly.

Hyomin forced a laugh, “It’s all right, none of us blame you. We’re all jealous of you, girl, not having to deal with that old fogey.” She did not mention Eunjung’s crying fit the day before, when she had been dropped from her drama, nor the other members’ angry words about how the scandal was screwing everything up in the group.

“I saw your drama, Hyomin-unnie. You and Woohyun-oppa look really cute together! I think I’m starting to ship you two together.” Hwayoung squealed. Hyomin smiled, “He’s a nice guy. He treated us all to dinner last time, you know. Anyway, I gotta go, filming’s going to be starting soon.” She quickly hung up, as Nam Woohyun arrived on set, stepping out of his car. He waved shyly to Hyomin, and she waved back with a broad grin. As he approached her, she studied him.

Nam Woohyun. The main singer of Infinite. He was popular, of course, although reportedly nowhere near Myungsoo and Hoya. She had noticed him once in a while on music shows, but she had never really spoken to him before; it was always Hwayoung who was friendlier with the Infinite members. He was shy, naïve and far too trusting – which was why she had chosen him as her new target, she supposed. Gumihos always chose men who trusted too easily as prey.

But as she watched him approach, she felt unease crawl over her heart. There was something about him that made her uncomfortable, something about him that made her heart pound whenever he came close. Hyomin had never experienced it before, but ever since meeting him for the first time on the set of The Thousandth Man, she felt it regularly, and it disturbed her. Gumihos weren’t meant to be so easily unsettled.

“Hey, Hyomin. You’re here early.” Woohyun greeted his coactress. She gave a small, slightly seductive smile, “So are you. We’re the only ones here.”

Woohyun blushed slightly, staring down at his shoes. Mentally he scolded himself, “Nam Woohyun! What is up with you? She just smiled at you, and you blushed like a little school boy! She probably thinks you’re an idiot now!”

Hyomin raised an eyebrow, waiting for Woohyun’s answer. Woohyun took a deep breath to calm his pounding heart, “Do you want to practice our lines?”

Hyomin lifted her own script, “Why not?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Thanks for all the hard work!” Hyomin called to the staff he bowed. Woohyun caught up with her, “Where are you hurrying to?”

“We’re practicing for our comeback.” Hyomin replied. Abruptly she stopped, turned to face Woohyun, and placed something in his hand. He looked at it in surprise; it was a piece of paper, with a phone number scribbled on it.

“Let’s meet up tomorrow. Call me, alright?” Hyomin grinned, patting him on the cheek , before hurrying to her car.

Woohyun stared after her silently. Slowly, a grin began to spread across his face.

Jiyeon glanced out of the window, “Nam Woohyun? Seriously? He’s your next target?”

Hyomin did not look at her, “What’s wrong with him?”

Jiyeon rolled her eyes, “He’s Nam Woohyun, unnie. He’s an idol. A public figure. Fans would notice even the slightest change in him.”

Hyomin shot her a look, “So what? You’re a gumiho, and you’re dating JB now, aren’t you? Isn’t he an idol? Besides, it’s not like I’m going to kill Woohyun. I’m just going to steal his heart.”

Jiyeon nearly laughed, “You think the fans won’t notice that their oppa no longer laughs, no longer smiles, and just becomes an emotionless robot? Even if they don’t s will notice. Anyway, I was a gumiho. But I’m a human now. I got my last heart years ago, and in any case, JB accepts me for what I am. Seriously, unnie. You have only ten days left to find your last heart. And you choose Nam Woohyun? I don’t know what you’re thinking.”

Hyomin ignored her, glaring out of the window. The truth was, she didn’t know what she was thinking either. She had her eyes set on another boy already, a boy whom she had met at a fan meeting, a boy whom no one knew. And yet, after meeting Nam Woohyun for the first time, she had immediately decided on him instead. It was almost as if he had some sort of magical control over her.

Hyomin sighed and sternly reminded herself mentally, “You have only ten days left, Park Hyomin! Focus on getting Nam Woohyun’s heart! Then you can be a human at last, and you won’t have to disappear forever…”

She closed her eyes and sighed, leaning her head back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woohyun glanced nervously at his watch as he waited at the Han River. Nine-ten…she was ten minutes late.

As if on cue, Hyomin’s voice called, “Nam Woohyun!”

Woohyun turned; Hyomin was standing behind him, looking like a goddess in her casual clothes, dark sunglasses and long, flowing hair. He stood automatically, hiding his trembling hands behind his back, “Hey!”

Hyomin was much more casual as she walked over to him, “Hey, Woohyun.” She sat down on the grass and patted the space beside her, “Come on, sit down.”

Woohyun sat down beside Hyomin, trying to control his erratic breathing and pounding heart. Hyomin stared out at the river, her expression peaceful, “You know, the Han River is really my favourite place in all of Korea.”

Woohyun raised his eyebrows, “Here? Why? It’s just a river, there are rivers in every part of the world. Why here?”

“There’s just something about this place…when I come to the Han River, I feel at peace. I can enjoy the peace and quiet, and I don’t have to be disturbed by over-enthusiastic fans. I get to see people going about their normal lives, and I just think there’s something magical about that, watching them. And anyway, the sunsets here are really beautiful.” Hyomin replied, her expression calm. Woohyun frowned, “The sunset?”

“Yeah, that’s why I asked to meet you here. The sun should be setting soon.”

They sat in peaceful silence for a while. Slowly, the sun began to go down, bathing them in a warm, purple-gold light. Woohyun stared out at the river in awe; the sun had transformed it into a river of rich purple, gleaming beautifully in the dimming sunlight. The sky was streaked with red and purple; it looked almost like a tapestry. Woohyun was stunned by the beauty of it, “How is it that I have never seen this before?”

Hyomin glanced at him with a smile, “Then it’s a good thing I brought you here, isn’t it?” She spread her arms out wide, as if about to embrace the world, the sunlight lighting up her face. Woohyun watched her silently, a blissful smile on his face.

Before long, the sun had set, and they were left in darkness, accompanied only by the sounds of the river rushing, the noisy crickets, and the murmur of the occasional passer-by.

Hyomin stood, “I should be getting home, the others will be worried about me.”

Woohyun hurriedly got to his feet, “I’ll walk you home!”

Hyomin immediately shot him a suspicious look. From her experience, only men who wanted to take advantage of you or you would offer to walk you home. But, as she gazed at Woohyun, she saw no malice in his expression, only the sincerest desire to do what he could for her. It unsettled her, made her nervous, for she was not used to such kind sincerity. After a moment, she nodded, “Why not?”

They walked back to the T-ara dorm, which was only nearby. Woohyun reveled in Hyomin’s presence; he could not help wondering if this counted as a date. It had to be, right?

As they walked, Hyomin suddenly reached out and took Woohyun’s hand. Woohyun stared at her in surprise; then he smiled, and grasped her hand tightly, a warm feeling he had not experienced before spreading throughout him.

Before long, they had reached T-ara’s dorm. Woohyun let go of Hyomin’s hand reluctantly, “I’ll see you at filming next week, then.”

He had only just turned to leave when Hyomin’s hand grabbed his, pulling him back. Her lips met his, hungrily pressing against him.

Woohyun stood frozen in shock.

Hyomin pushed Woohyun up against the wall roughly, running her hands through his short hair in a sensual manner.

Woohyun’s hands wrapped around Hyomin automatically, pulling her close. She ground herself against him, groaning into his throat as he slowly ran his hands down to her thighs.

“Yah! You two! Hurry up and finish it!” Jiyeon hollered from above.

The two of them broke apart immediately; Hyomin grumbled, rolling her eyes, “That maknae…”

Woohyun’s face was flaming red, “I…I better go.” Without another word, he zoomed off.

Hyomin slowly walked back to T-ara’s apartment and dumped her bag angrily on the sofa; Jiyeon, who was munching on some chips, glanced at her, “The first date and he’s already so enamored. You’ve got him wrapped around your finger completely, unnie.”

Hyomin tried to force a smile, but somehow could not. Why did she feel so reluctant about taking Nam Woohyun’s heart?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Woohyun sighed as he glanced up at the surroundings. It was time for filming, and Hyomin still wasn’t here. Woohyun had rather been hoping that Hyomin would be early for filming like she had last time, so that the two of them could have some alone time. After all, it had been a week since their date at the Han River…

The thought of that date turned Woohyun’s face beetroot again. Just then, Hyomin appeared, getting off her car as she waved goodbye to her groupmates. Her eyes settled upon Woohyun; there was an indecipherable expression in her eyes. He rose to speak to her, but before he could even take a step towards her, she turned away and strode off, ignoring him.

Woohyun stood frozen, stunned. He stared after her as she walked towards the staff, chatting casually with them. What was going on with her?

Hyomin ignored Woohyun’s every attempt to speak to her, and by the end of filming, Woohyun was beginning to become very frustrated. As Hyomin packed her bag to leave for her next schedule, Woohyun grabbed her hand, “Park Hyomin!”

Hyomin’s head whipped around, her expression shocked. A moment later, she arranged her features into one of casual indifference as she spoke coldly, “What do you want, Woohyun-sshi?”

Woohyun glanced about at the staff, who were beginning to stare at them curiously. He lowered his voice, “Why are you ignoring me? After what happened last week-”

Hyomin’s eyes suddenly flashed gold; she grabbed his arm and dragged him into a deserted corner, slamming him against the wall. She leaned forward, her face hard, “Don’t mention that night.”

Woohyun stared at her uncomprehendingly, “Why? Weren’t we fine before? Why are you suddenly…”

Hyomin growled and released him. Woohyun caught hold of her hand, “Hyomin, I like you.”

Hyomin froze. She glared at him, “Don’t be ridiculous.”

But Woohyun persisted, “I’ve never said this to any other girl, I’ve never even…I’m serious. You make me feel…different. I like you, so please tell me what’s wrong, all right?”

Hyomin stared silently at him. For a moment, her expression became vulnerable, her eyes suddenly teary. Then she snarled, shoving him back, “You like me? Do you have any idea how foolish that is? How insanely stupid? It’s suicide, Nam Woohyun.”

Woohyun was startled by her sudden outburst of vehemence. Hyomin bit her lip, suddenly sighing as she asked, her voice subdued, “What if I said the price of loving me was your heart?”

Woohyun’s face relaxed, and he laughed, “Hyomin, don’t be ridiculous and stop trying to scare me. You’re not a gumi-” his voice broke off abruptly as he saw her expression, and the blood drained from his face, “You’re kidding me.”

Hyomin looked down at her hands, “Let’s not meet again, Nam Woohyun.” Hyomin turned to leave.

“I don’t care.” Woohyun said suddenly, “You can have my heart. It doesn’t matter to me, not anymore. All I know is that I love you and whatever you want from me, I’ll give it. So please, don’t do this.”

Hyomin spun around, her expression disbelieving, “Woohyun, you…” She hesitated, her eyes fixed upon him. Then she whispered, “All I want from you is for you to leave me alone.”

And then she was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 years later

Woohyun sat down on the bank of the Han River, staring silently across the river. He came here at least twice a week now. It had been her favourite place, and now it was his. It was the only place they really shared, the only place where he had any real memories of her.

Woohyun never saw Hyomin again after that day. She had withdrawn from T-ara the very next day, claiming that her mother was seriously ill and that she needed to take care of her. There had been a huge scandal about it then, but it had died down after a while, and things had picked up for T-ara after Hwayoung rejoined the group.

Woohyun always wondered how much of Hyomin’s excuse was the truth, but it was not until half a year later that he found out what really happened…

Jiyeon’s smile went flat as she saw the man standing at the door. Her voice was icy cold, “Nam Woohyun, how many times have I told you to get lost? Stop pestering us.” She made to shut the door, but Woohyun blocked it with his hand, his expression desperate, “Please, Jiyeon-sshi, just tell me where Hyomin is! I’m begging you-”

Jiyeon made a noise of frustration, “I’ve already told you, I don’t know! Leave us alone!” She lifted a hand to hit Woohyun, but JB, standing behind her, managed to grab hold of her hand in time, “Don’t. He’s just searching for the woman he loves.”

Jiyeon sighed angrily, “I know that, but we really have no idea where she is!” Turning to Woohyun, she growled, “Just leave us alone, Nam Woohyun. None of us want to see you again, not after what you did to Hyomin-unnie.”

Woohyun was confused, “I…what did I do?”

Jiyeon’s eyes widened in outrage; for a moment, she looked like she was going to scream at him. Then JB caught her by the shoulders, and she struggled to compose herself. He leaned forward, gently pressing his lips into her soft hair, “Let me deal with this, all right? You go on in.” He patted her shoulder gently.

Jiyeon took a deep breath to calm herself. Then she nodded. She turned to leave, but just for a moment, Woohyun thought she saw the flash of tears in her eyes.

JB waited until Jiyeon had closed the door. Then he sighed, leaning against the wall as he faced Woohyun, “Woohyun-sshi, none of us have any idea where Hyomin is now. She left without telling us. I’m not lying to you.”

“But why? Why would she leave? Is it…is it really because of me?” Woohyun demanded.

JB hesitated. When he spoke again, it was pity in his voice, “You know what she was. You know that she needed the hearts of a thousand men to become human. You were to become the thousandth one. But, for some reason, she didn’t take your heart. And now she’s gone. She’s run out of time.”

Woohyun’s body stiffened, “She ran out of…you mean…”

JB looked down, silent, biting his lip. His expression was apologetic, “We really have no idea what happened to Hyomin after she left. So please, don’t come back here anymore. It only hurts the T-ara members, and I don’t want to see Jiyeon crying anymore.”

“They blame me…” Woohyun murmured, his eyes wide in shock.

JB looked away, “They need someone to blame for one of their sisters’ departure. I’m sorry, Woohyun-sshi.”

Woohyun had blamed himself, too. For a long time he had been despairing, even considering suicide. But then he realized – Hyomin wouldn’t want him to do that. It would be a needless, worthless sacrifice. And so he lived on. He clung to the hope that she was still alive somewhere, and he lived on. He clung to the belief that one day, when she was ready, she would come back to him, and so he lived on.

A familiar voice called his name, jerking him out of his reverie, “Yah, Nam Woohyun!”

Woohyun’s head shot up, stunned. As he spun around, he stared at her in shock, in disbelief. It was her.

Hyomin smiled her beautiful smile. She lifted a hand in greeting, slowly walking towards him.

And Woohyun smiled too, as he ran to meet her. 

---------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Here's the Woohyun/Hyomin oneshot, as requested by Kyuwonhae! Hope you liked it!

I know this chapter took really long; I had a serious mental block and I spent like ages not knowing how to continue, but I finally managed to finish it! So, this story is inspired by the drama that both Woohyun and Hyomin are acting in (like seriously, I never thought I would ship Woohyun/Hyomin more than Woohyun/Jiyeon, but after seeing the Thousandth Man, I'm hooked). In any case, Hyomin, who is playing a gumiho in the show, is actually a real gumiho, and Woohyun is the poor guy whom she sets her sights on. I think that this is the most light-hearted one out of the four (JJCouple was completely angst and grief, Myungyeon was about insanity, Sestal didn't exactly end up together), and I think it has the happiest ending. 

The story is more about the development of a relationship, and how true love is always granted. It's hinted that WOohyun is different from all the other men Hyomin chased, which is true - the other men only appreciated Hyomin's beauty and never truly loved her, while Woohyun treated her sincerely, which is why in the end, Hyomin really did fall in love with him as well. There were also bits of JJCouple here and there - I just can't resist the urge to slip them in XD.

As for the ending, it doesn't really matter how Hyomin survived. Up to the reader. You can assume that she found another guy's heart, or she was spared for some mysterious reason. The important thing is that Woohyun believed that she would come back, and he waited for her, and in the end, she really came back to him. 

On a sidenote, I've got two two-shots planned out; they'll be special projects. So which couples do you want me to write about? Vote in the poll below:

 

and 

 

So guys, remember, vote on the polls, comment on this oneshot and subscribe if you haven't yet! And if you have any other pairings you want, just request!