Lacking Summer: JJCouple ft. Myungyeon

Oneshot Collection

 

Spring

This is his first time seeing her, and his heart almost stops as his eyes fall upon her, her beauty breathtaking. She waves to him and smiles, giving an introduction of herself in her melodic, quiet voice; he smiles too, like a lovesick boy.

He introduces himself in a stuttering, nervous voice, his thoughts stifled by her beauty. She nods in acknowledgment, and her face suddenly brightens – for a moment, he wonders if he has done something to make her happy, and he’s pleased.

Then she rushes over to her other friends, her real friends, Jinwoon and Hyorin. Her hand brushes past his; the touch feels electric to him. Then the moment passes, and she’s gone, leaving him behind.

Autumn

He sees her at the other end of the corridor, and he stares, silently, as she talks animatedly with her members. Her eyes, full of life and vivacity, cast about her, as if looking for someone. For a moment, he wishes that it were him, and that she would see him and come up to him.

But her eyes fall upon someone else – Yesung, a name he has only heard in passing mention. She throws her arms around him, and it is like a blow to his chest as he sees it.

He staggers, suddenly unable to balance. Jr catches him, but barely; he gives him a sympathetic look, “Just move on. It’s not worth it.”

“I want to,” he tries to say, “I want to, but she’s like a drug to me, worsening my addiction every time I see her.” But the words stick in his throat, and he can only look away bitterly as she kisses Yesung.

Winter

It’s the last day of filming. They’ve become friends now, after so many months of filming. He finally manages to control his feelings and emotions, to talk to her normally like she is any other friend. But it doesn’t change the pang he feels whenever he sees her with Yesung.

But something is different today, he knows. Something is wrong with her today, and despite the celebrations and festive atmosphere due to the end of filming, he cannot help but note the forced cheeriness in her voice, they way her eyes would periodically fill with tears.

He watches her as she ducks around the corner, out of sight. And he follows her silently, both of them slipping away from the party.

She’s sitting by the staircase where they shared their first hug. It was all part of the script, of course, but he could not help but wish that it had been real.

She’s weeping now, the sobs ripping out of her as she sits, doubled over. He puts a hand to his own chest, and wonders why it feels like someone is tearing out his heart. But he does not cry.

He kneels down before her; she buries her head in his chest and cries, “He was cheating on me…I loved him so much, and he was cheating on me…”

He holds her close, comforting her in the only way he can.

Spring

And she has moved on. She’s happy again, and he’s glad too.

She pulls him along excitedly, “I’ve got something that I have to show you, oppa.”

He smiles good-naturedly, letting her lead him into her room, “You’re my best friend, so I’m going to let you in on the secret first.

“This is my boyfriend, Kim Myungsoo.”

His smile is frozen, his heart beating so hard that he is sure they must be able to hear it. She frowns at his lack of response, “Well? Why are you just staring?”

He forces a smile, congratulating them as sincerely as he can, the words like daggers to his heart as he speaks.

She and Myungsoo smile; they hug tightly, kissing, happy in their own little bubble. And he watches silently, an outsider who does not belong. Wordlessly, he turns away and trudges out of the room.

They do not notice his departure.

Autumn

He smiles as she emerges, stunning, in a bridal gown. She twirls once for him, “How do I look?”

He compliments her; the words are heartfelt, his smile wide as he admires her, noting that she has only grown more beautiful with age. He takes her arm, enjoying the contact, the feeling of her hand resting lightly on his. They turn, and he leads her slowly down the aisle.

Myungsoo stands waiting before the priest, the proud bridegroom, awaiting his bride’s arrival. They reach the end of the aisle; she slips her hand out of his, and for a moment, he thinks bitterly that it never belonged there in the first place.

Myungsoo reaches out and takes her hand. And he can only watch, silently, bitterly, as what could-have-been slips out of his grasp forever.

They kiss, and he looks away.

Winter

He waits at the top of the hill, as she leads her children up. The boy is active, a spitting image of his father, his black hair whipping messily in the wind as he races up the hill. The girl takes after her mother, with those warm brown eyes and her sweet, sensitive nature – sometimes, it hurts for him to even look at the girl.

Finally, they reach the top of the hill; he hands her the flowers, and she lays them gently on the grave, her voice warm as she speaks, “Myungsoo…I’ve brought our children to see you again. They’re growing up well, aren’t they?”

Her words seem to fade out as he watches her stare lovingly at the grave of her husband. He studies her silently: the long, lustrous brown hair that she had restored to its original colour after retiring, her clothes, much more conservative than in her youth now that she was a mother, and her face, disfigured by the same accident that had killed her husband. His heart had ached for her then, a widow only at thirty-six. But her love for her husband never faded, only grew stronger with each passing year.

“It’s a really good thing that JB’s always here for us…he’s really the best friend I’ve ever had.”

He catches her last sentence, and smiles automatically as she turns to look at him. But the smile fades as she turns away. He never stopped loving her, from the first moment he laid eyes on her – like her love for Myungsoo, his love had only grown with each passing year.

She stands, and takes her daughter’s hand. He picks up her son, swinging him onto his shoulders, and they make their way down the hill.

-------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! I’m back, with the first oneshot, which is JJCouple ft. Myungyeon.

I wrote this story back in January, just that I never posted it. Of course, I edited it slightly before posting it. What do you guys think? Personally, I feel that it’s a very melancholy story.

A great part about the story is love and the idea of moving on. Throughout the story, Jiyeon is constantly moving on- she moves on after being hurt by Yesung, just like she moves on after losing Myungsoo and getting kicked out of the industry(it was slightly implied- she was kicked out of the industry after getting disfigured). But her true love is still Myungsoo, even after his death; she moves on, but her love does not change, and she continues to lead her life under Myungsoo’s influence. In a way, she’s definitely the strongest character in the story, and the one with the most growth as a person. At first, Jiyeon is unaware of JB’s love for her, but as time goes by, she slowly becomes aware of it, yet refuses to accept him because she still loves Myungsoo, which is why she emphasizes on his role as a “best friend”.

JB, on the other hand, is a much sadder character. From the first moment he sees Jiyeon, he falls irrevocably in love, to the point that he continues to love her and stay by her literally for the rest of his life. The difference between him and Jiyeon is that, from the moment he sees and falls for her, he never moves on, and stays stuck in the past, and stuck in the maze of possibilities and chances that he missed. That’s why he’s unable to leave Jiyeon, because he is simply rooted in the past and unable to move on from her. Eventually it becomes such that he simply cannot live without her anymore. That’s the sad thing about his love – he loves her so deeply and irrevocably, yet she sees him only as a best friend, since the one she loves most is Myungsoo.

The story’s also divided up into six portions: 2 Springs, 2 Autumns and 2 Winters. This reflects both the lives of JB and Jiyeon. The first spring is the beginning of love for JB, the first autumn is his melancholy sadness when he realizes that she has someone else, and the first winter is her grief at being cheated on, and his sadness at her grief. The second spring is for Jiyeon: finding a new love and moving on, just as how the second autumn and winter reflect on the peak of her life as she marries Myungsoo, and how she eventually copes with Myungsoo’s death and continues to live under his influence respectively. Summer is conspicuously lacking, alluding to the title “Lacking Summer”. It’s a reference to JB’s love, as summer is often used to refer to the height of love when two people are in love. For JB, this never happens, hence the title.

P.S: I do realize that the Author’s Notes are really long for this oneshot. This oneshot collection is more of an avenue for me to put out my ideas, and to improve my writing skills and characterization, which is why the Author’s Notes will be longer for the oneshot, as I try and elaborate on the characters and the plot details. Please give me feedback on whether I did well with this oneshot, and whether you like it! Also, you can request another couple – I’ve already started editing the Kaistal one, and I’ve also started writing the Myungyeon oneshot. 

Guys, remember, subscribe and give me feedback so i can improve and write better stories!