Illusions

Oneshot Collection

 

The door opened and shut; she looked up, as the Woman-in-White stared down disapprovingly at her as she clicked her pen, “You need to eat, you know, no matter how little of an appetite you might have.”

Jiyeon looked down. Silently, she wrapped her arms around her legs, her eyes fixed on the white bed below her. The Woman frowned, “Well?”

Jiyeon did not respond. After a moment, the Woman, gave up, sticking the pen back into her belt, “Fine. Do whatever you want.” She had other patients to attend to, after all.

Jiyeon’s eyes followed the Woman; she heard a soft, familiar ‘click’ as the door was locked. She leaned back, and closed her eyes.

Soon, Myungsoo came to her, like he always did. He looked down at the untouched plate, frowning, “You have to eat, you know.”

Jiyeon shook her head.

“I don’t want to see you starve yourself. You know I can’t bear to see you suffering like this.” Myungsoo pleaded, “Please?”

There was a pause. Then Jiyeon bit back a sigh. She couldn’t resist him, as usual. Slowly, her hand inched forward to the fork, and she began to eat.

Myungsoo smiled, “There’s a good girl.”

Before long, she was finished with her meal. Myungsoo nodded, satisfied, “There. Wasn’t that hard, was it?”

Jiyeon shrugged.

There was a click as the door was unlocked; this time, it was the Man-in-White who walked in. He nodded at the plate in satisfaction, “I’m glad you’ve finished your dinner, Jiyeon-sshi.” He nodded at the Woman-in-White, who had entered after him, and she hurried to clear the plate. There was a pause as the Man’s eyes glanced at the flickering red light behind Jiyeon.

Jiyeon didn’t even bother to turn around. She knew it was behind her, the blinking red light that was supposed to keep an eye on her. But she didn’t really care about it.

The Man sat down on the chair beside Jiyeon, “So, is there anything you want to talk about?”

Silence.

“Nothing at all?”

Silence.

“What about your dreams? I hear you used to dream a lot in the past. Did you dream last night?”

Silence.

“What about your family? Why don’t you talk about them? You can tell me about your family members.”

Silence.

The Man looked frustrated for a moment. He exchanged a look with the Woman. Then he turned back to Jiyeon, “Why don’t you tell me about your boyfriend, Jiyeon? I hear he was a handsome lad. Kim Myungsoo, right?”

Jiyeon stared at him. She began to tremble, a whimper escaping from her lips. The Man leaned forward, “Do you want to talk about that night-”

Jiyeon began to scream, a long, high-pitched scream. Her arms thrashed, her body convulsing. The Man leapt from his seat, his voice harsh, “Strap her down!”

Two burly Men-in-Black strode in. One grabbed Jiyeon by the arms, restraining her; she shrieked and lashed out at him, clawing viciously at his face.

The Man must have been used to pain, for he simply ignored it Jiyeon’s fingernails were blunt; nevertheless, she had used so much force that they scratched his face badly, and blood began to well up on his cheek and nose.

Jiyeon stopped abruptly, her eyes wide in shock as she stared at the Man. She whimpered again, cowering from them.

The second Man-in-Black grimaced as he looked at his partner’s wound. He began to strap her to the bed with frightening efficiency; this time, she offered no resistance.

As the two Men-in-Black stepped out of the room, the Man-in-White sighed, giving her a look of frustration and pity. He turned to leave the room; as he did, Jiyeon heard briefly, nothing more than a whisper.

“…loathe to try the shock experiments…”

The door closed again, and there was another click.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Myungsoo came to her again; this time, he looked upset, his eyes slightly teary, “Why are you doing this to yourself, Jiyeon.”

Jiyeon stared at him wordlessly, pleadingly. He shook his head, “You know I can’t. I shouldn’t even be here in the first place. I don’t belong here anymore.”

Jiyeon twitched at the last statement. The words of the Man-in-White began to ring in her head.

“Do you want to talk”

Myungsoo leaned forward, “Jiyeon, please stop this-”

“about that night”

“This is going nowhere, Ji”

“do you want”

“yeon you can’t keep”

“to talk about”

“acting like this, just ac”

“that night do you”

“cept their help al”

“WANT TO TALK”

“ready it’s for your own”

“ABOUT THAT NIGHT?”

Jiyeon took a deep, shuddering breath, clutching her head in her hands as she shrank away from Myungsoo, closing her eyes.

When she opened them again, Myungsoo was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Man-in-White came back the next day and said the same things. But he never mentioned that night again. He didn’t seem to dare to. Once, Jiyeon heard him say something about a relapse, and desperate measures. But she didn’t care. It didn’t matter to her.

Myungso still visited her every night. Every day, he looked weaker and frailer than before, as if he were more likely to dissipate with each passing day. But still he came.

One day, Jiyeon made up her mind. She didn’t know exactly what the trigger was, but even if she did know, she probably wouldn’t have been able to articulate t. It had been a long time since she had spoken.

Myungsoo knew, of course. As he came to see her that night, he looked sad, “Do you really intend to do this?”

Jiyeon nodded with conviction. Myungsoo sighed deeply, “I don’t want you to.”

Jiyeon shook her head. Nothing he said would convince her, not this time. The memory of the railing flashed through her mind. Yes. She would do it.

Myungsoo took a step forward, opening his mouth to try and persuade her. Then he gasped, suddenly doubling over in pain.

Jiyeon lurched upright in alarm.

He was clutching his side, groaning in agony. He looked up, and his eyes met Jiyeon’s wild, panicked ones; his hand came away from his side, drenched in blood. He staggered.

Jiyeon stared, wide-eyed, as the events of two years ago seemed to play out before her…

The robber snatching Jiyeon’s handbag, and then forcing her to take off her ring, the only heirloom she had received from her late mother, with that glinting silver knife…

Myungsoo glancing at her teary face, and the sudden determination in his face as he attempted to stop the robber, throwing himself at the man…

And the wet ‘snick’ as the dagger was shoved into Myungsoo’s side, sliding against the bone, leaving him kneeling on the ground, clutching his side in pain, the blood pooling around him…

The door was thrown open, as the Man-and-Woman-in-White came charging in. All of a sudden, Jiyeon registered that a high, screeching sound was coming from her, as she huddled in the corner of the bed.

She must have appealed to the Woman’s motherly instinct then, for she suddenly found herself wrapped in the Woman’s embrace.

All of a sudden, it occurred to her – this was the perfect chance.

Without warning, Jiyeon suddenly shoved the Woman away; the Woman staggered and slipped, falling with a heavy thud.

Jiyeon ducked under the Man’s lunge and took off down the corridor. Her muscles protested; they hadn’t been strained for the past two years. But she ignored the aching, forcing herself to continue running.

She heard the Man yell something in panic, but she didn’t hear what. As she rounded the corner, she saw it. The railing. Mustering all the energy she had left, she charged forward.

And then she jumped.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It must have been some time later when Jiyeon opened her eyes again.

The surroundings were bright around her, brighter than she ever remembered. As she looked down at herself, she realized that the light was coming from her.

She was glowing.

She laughed. It had been a long time since she felt this carefree.

“Having fun?”

Jiyeon looked up, startled by the familiar voice. Myungsoo stood before her, and he was glowing as well. Behind him was what looked like a portal; it was in the shape of a large circle, and it glowed even brighter than the two of them, so bright that she could barely stand to look at it.

Myungsoo shook his head, a small smile on his face, “I didn’t want you to do that, but since you have, we might as well make the best of it.”

Jiyeon frowned. What was he talking about?

Myungsoo pointed downwards. Jiyeon looked down, only to see her own broken form on the ground below, the doctors and nurses milling around her in a panic.

She shook her head, “That isn’t me. Not anymore.”

Myungsoo smiled the smile she remembered so well, “I’m inclined to agree. Let’s go, shall we?” He held out his hand.

Jiyeon took it, and together, they stepped into the light. 

----------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, here's the Myungyeon oneshot for all the Myungyeon lovers out there! This was requested by justsarah and MrGoldFishEyes, so I hope you guys enjoyed it!

As you probably guessed, this story takes place in a mental hospital, where Jiyeon is hospitalised. Myungsoo is dead from the beginning of the story; he was killed by a robber two years ago, which resulted in Jiyeon's ensuing insanity. The 'Myungsoo' that Jiyeon sees for most of the story is actually just her hallucination, part of her insanity, which is why the moment she makes her decision to die(when she "made up her mind"), he sort of faded out and returned to the bloody form that Jiyeon last saw him in, because she's "rejecting" the illusion. In the last part of the story, that Myungsoo is real; it's his spirit, and she's also dead, and that's her spirit as well, but that's the way she wants it. 

I think Myungsoo is quite a heroic character in this story; the way he leaps at the robber to help Jiyeon get the ring back. He is, also, Jiyeon's love of her life, which is why she goes insane when he dies; it gets to the point that she doesn't even talk anymore, and is unable to recognise and identify things and people we all know(i.e she refers to doctors and nurses as Men-and-Women-in-White). It's only after her death that she recovers herself, and not only identifies the Men-and-Women as doctors and nurses, but also speaks for the first time in the story. I like to think the story ended on a hopeful note, and that Myungsoo and Jiyeon both went off to a better place - hence the last line "stepped into the light".

So what do you guys think about it? Please comment on whether you like it, and drop me some feedback so i can improve and write better next time!

On a sidenote, I'm already editing the Kaistal oneshot, so it should be up during the weekend, and I'm also writing the Sestal oneshot and Woohyun-Hyomin oneshot, so please anticipate it!