Chapter 1

Change is inevitable

It was the continuous, never changing routine that made Luhan feel safe—he had never been able to cope with change that well, even though change was the only thing that was constant in life. Luhan knew that it was ironic, but he just couldn’t bring himself to stop the daily visits to EXO.

EXO seemed like his home, actually. It was cozy, and was everything Luhan needed. He did his work there, he took his meals there, he did whatever he could do there like it was his own home. To his pleasure, the owner never did once voice out his disapproval (well, who would? It was a regular customer afterall that would allow him to earn his income) and instead welcomed him into the place without complaint. Sometimes, his usual order would be there waiting for him already, and Luhan would turn to the counter where Suho stood, grinning widely. Luhan was thankful that the owner did not chase him away—who could stand a customer who just ordered some cheap things and occupy a seat for the entire afternoon?

It was just like any other day, Luhan thought as he plopped down onto the seat, taking out his laptop to start work. Oddly, he sensed this air of change around him, a premonition he usually would get when his usual routine would get disrupted, and he tensed, looking around wildly.

True to his sixth sense, instead of Suho behind the counter, it was an entirely new face that he had never come across before in the café, but Luhan had that odd sense of familiarity come to him as well. He must have come across this guy somewhere outside EXO before. He jerked in his seat, and the new guy’s head perked up at the sound of the chair creaking.

“ Can I have your order? ” The new guy’s voice was soft, Luhan thought. Like Suho’s, both were gentle and welcoming, yet his was more… alluring.
“ … medium hot chocolate, thank you. “ Luhan stared at the guy who smiled at him and choked out. It was a change, and Luhan wondered if it was one that would be for the worse or for the better.

“ Suho-hyung has to tutor Sehun for his coming math test, so he paid me to help him out for the week. You must be the regular he told me about. “ The guy explained, seeing Luhan’s confused expression.
“ I’m Yixing, but people usually call me Lay since they can’t pronounce my Chinese name. I’m from China as an exchange student in SM High, you see. “ Lay scratched his head nervously. He hoped the regular in front of him understood his limited Korean. He wanted to make a good impression on him, since the other male was unbelievably pretty, and pretty would be underestimating the beauty of the regular. He wondered how the other was alone, he figured with such a pretty face, he would have tons of girlfriends swooning over him.

Before he could react, Luhan had already walked back to his seat and started to work on his assignment. Luhan wondered where he had seen the other boy before. Yixing, huh? He would have to do some research on his own.


=


Being one of the best students did have its perks. Luhan had free access to the data system since he had to help his teacher key in student reports at every end of the term, and he used it to his advantage. Every student envied him for his good grades, but they never understood that Luhan did not have anything to do out of school hours and his only recreational activity was to study, and to study more. Maybe that was why he represented the school for various academically-based competitions, and was placed in the accelerated learning program in school.

The nerd glasses he wore in school definitely did not aid in his quest for friends—and the mere fact that he was foreign talent from Beijing just made him a deviant amongst the norm. He was the mutant, he realized, and thus gave up on his adventure to earn friends. He gradually became accustomed to being alone, and to be truthful, he enjoyed his times alone, and he’d rather keep it this way. He’d like company at times, but this was enough.

EXO became Luhan’s happy place as he stumbled upon the small café while he wandered the streets of Seoul. He took an immediate liking to the place, and came every day after school and even during weekends and holidays to study—it wasn’t as if he had any other place to go to anyway. It was the place where he could relax himself, and be the real Luhan instead of the nerdy and quiet one in school. Even though the difference was minimal, but the ambience of the two places were too vastly different.

“ Zhang Yixing, transfer student from Hunan, Changsha. Oh, I went there before! “ Luhan pushed his spectacles up the bridge of his nose and continued reading. So both of them were from China, although from different provinces. Interesting, Luhan thought.