Affliction Chapter 4

Affliction

Kris stared at the raining sky. He could feel his brother’s power when the thunder crashed.
“That stupid brother of mine..” he muttered under his breath. He loved his brother more than anything. More than their father, honestly. But Chen didn’t seem to feel the same.

He could guess that Chen got angered by the mention of his name just now, that’s why this heavy rain and lightnings keep on appearing.

He remembered that time when they were both a child. Kris kept on taking care of Chen even though Chen was always in a bad mood around him. He didn’t know the reason why.

Kris is the hopeful leader of the demigods. He and his brother Chen are already determined to go to District 1, mainly because they are Zeus’ children. But the other reason is that they are two of the best fighters in District 9.

Just now too, he won the practice easily. His ability to fly didn’t make it easier for his opponent.

He stood up and left the practice arena. He headed to the park, where Chen usually is. He spread an umbrella and carried another in his hand.

 




Kyungsoo curled up in the corner of his room. He ran away after the practice session ended, hands shaking and lips trembling. He stays in that position for a while, before his mind works properly again and his limbs stops shaking.

What was that. Is he a monster or what, He squeezed his eyes shut
He replayed the memory of one of the fighter fighting in the practice earlier. The way he fearlessly stabbed his opponent near the heart,

He shivered as he hold his head to calm himself down. He shook his head repeatedly in attempt to stop his brain from thinking unnecessary things--or people. However, he failed.

There’s something about the heartless monster that makes his heart pound, both excruciatingly and-- he didn’t know what is the other feeling, or how to call it. His chest is heavy. He hated this feel.

No, that’s just an ordinary boy, probably younger than you. You are a great fighter too, Kyungsoo. He tried to calm himself, but his gut is still spinning. He wanted to throw up.
Shakily, he walked to a little chair beside him and sat there, head still spinning like crazy.

He jolted up and almost fell down when he heard a loud thunder outside, he cursed as he climbed the bed, pulling the sheet up to his chin. The next thing he know it’s pouring outside and he believed that today is not a good day for him.


 




Joonmyun got the shock of his life, as soon as he entered the house

“Dear, come here. We need to talk, I hope you won't get mad at me” From her tone, he knew that something is a bad thing. He slipped his shoes and walked towards her direction as he threw his bag to the stool near him.

“What’s that?”

“Your dad..”

She didn’t have to continue. He knew it. He stiffened at that words. He knew what his mom is going to talk about. His dad. The thing he wanted to know, ever since the first day of training, ever since he heard stories about his friends’ fathers, someone to be bragged about.

“Why don't you just tell me the truth since the beginning, mom?” His words came out shaky, stumbled from the quivering lips. It was barely a whisper

The thunder and the rain aren’t helping.

“I’m sorry Joonmyun, he told me not to tell you anything, until you’re prepared for this” She wiped her tears and smiled at her one and only son. Seeing him hurting hurts her too, but he had to know the truth.

“Do you know how hard it's been for me in the past years? They don't believe that I'm a demigod, I asked you and you said you don't know who’s my dad, but you knew it all along? I'm always prepared for these news, I've always wanted to know who’s my dad. Why are you keeping it a secret from me?”

His mother bitted her lower lip. She can feel her son’s pain but she had a reason for hurting him like this. She hung her head low, avoiding her son’s sorrowful stare.

“Fine,” He said as he swallowed, bracing himself from the maybe shocking truth. “What’s that?”

He could swear he heard his mom mumbling some sort of prayer, but he could care less. “What’s that? Answer me!”

“Your dad is Poseidon” his mom finally said, after some agonizing minutes. “And you inherited his power.”

“Oh” is the only thing that escaped his mouth. His body trembles, whether from exhaustion, shock or excitement, he didn’t know.


 




Yixing sighed for the hundredth time of the day. Another patient rushing in this week, another victim of Kai’s.

“Again?” He growled as he unbuckled his duffel again. He was about to leave the room when his friend came back rushing in, bringing another injured patient to deal with. Actually he’s okay with helping people, but he’s irritated by the fact that most of his patients -- the badly injured ones-- are always from Kai’s doing. If only Kai didn’t enjoy stabbing people that much, maybe he’d spend most of his days doing something else.

Last time were stabbed near heart, and now this, fractured backbone?! He made a mental reminder not to mess with Kai later.

He ed the cloth, the blood had dried and he had to let out a little shriek as he pulled the sticky fabric from the men’s body, afraid that it might widen the wound. He shuffled through his duffel to find his herbs, panicked because the blood kept flooding, irritated because none of his fellow professional mates are there.

The man hissed at the first contact with the herb, but relaxed after some minutes. Yixing had to feed him with his mom’s secret medicine to make sure his backbone wouldn’'t ache that much the next morning.

Being a healer is life for Yixing. He likes seeing kids smile and thanking him for helping them healing their wound, he loves how people smile after feeling better. He’s the most determined healer in the district. He might not be really good at fighting, but he’s best at healing

I’m sure I’d be picked to go to District 1. They needed professional healer.