Affliction Chapter 1 : Kai

Affliction

It was just an ordinary day in an ordinary place. The sun shining, birds chirping, and everything else in the district 9. Except the fact that something is going on in the district’s stadium.

CLASH!
The sound of swords clashing can be heard from the stadium, also everyone’s cheerings.

BAM!
Suddenly something fell down. Not something. Someone.

The crowd went silent for a moment, people gasping, people holding breaths, sounds of silent gasp, before the cheering came back even harder than before.

“Victor, Kai, son of Hermes!” the announcer said from the speaker. The one standing in the middle of the stadium raised his right hand triumphantly and smirked. Victory always tastes good.

“Medics! Come quick!!” shouted the people in the sides of the stadium. The medics quickly ran to the collapsed man right next to Kai, badly injured, almost lifeless. Kai nearly killed his opponent by stabbing his opponent near the heart. He could have done much worse, if the announcer had not interrupt his attack. Kai emotionlessly stared at his opponent being brought by the medics.

He turned around to the crowd and waved to them, Which caused the crowd to cheer even harder, louder than ever if it was even possible. He proudly and casually walked out of the arena and reached for his towel and water bottle. He wiped his sweats as he gulps down the whole bottle.

“Yo, Kai!” some familiar voice shouted. Kai turned around and he smiled. The voice belonged to Taemin. “Woah, you were amazing, really.” he praised, as he patted Kai’s shoulder

Kai grinned and hit Taemin’s arm playfully. He stared right into Taemin’s eyes.

“It’s rare to see you come to district 9,” Kai said.

Taemin fidgeted. Kai raised a brow, waiting for an answer, but Taemin just grinned and poked the younger’s rib cage, making him shift uncomfortably on his spot. “Yeah, it’s getting boring with the usual routine on district 8,” He said. Kai frowned but nodded anyway. “Besides, don’t you miss me? I missed you!” He added quickly

“Want to go get some lunch?” Kai offered. Taemin nodded vigorously, just like the usual childish Taemin . He put his arm around Kai’s neck. “Let’s go!” he exclaimed.

Kai is the son of Hermes. He is a totally capable fighter and has a really fast speed. His movement is as fast as the light, making him unseen, and that fastness is really an advantage for him. He is one of the best fighters in his generation. It is said that he is his father’s favorite son.

He is ruthless when it comes to fighting. He won’t think twice nor hesitate to kill his opponent no matter what. Just now, too, he ran to his opponent’s back and stabbed him near the heart. But outside the arena, he is just the sweet, innocent Kai, that no one would expect to be such a virulent fighter.

While Taemin, his best friend since child, is just an ordinary human. They knew each other because before Kai moved to District 9, he was born and raised in District 8--where Taemin came from--until the age of 5. They have been good friends since then, spending most of their childhood together. Even if it's just 5 years of childish and innocent friendship, they managed to keep it until now,  until Kai is 18 years old and it's still counting.

The two of them went to their favorite restaurant that all districts have, the Black Pearl Meat Restaurant. They entered the restaurant followed by the gaze of everyone inside. Kai is really famous around District 9. He smirked all the way, loving the attention he is receiving, while Taemin just trailed behind him.

They took a sit near the window in front of each other. Taemin did not need to look at the menu, because he knew they will get the usual, but today is different. Kai took a look at the menu for a long time.

“Usually you would just order the usual,” Taemin said. Kai looked up to him. He grinned and shook his head slightly.

“I’m bored, I want to eat different food,” Kai said, turning his attention back to the list. He turned the menu continuously and eyed the foods one by one.
Taemin just stared at him, looking bewildered.
This is not the usual Kai. After some long minutes, Kai finally looking satisfied then called for the waiter.

“I would like the Taurus Meal please,” Kai said. The waiter nodded and wrote it down. Kai turned to Taemin and waited for Taemin to say something.

Taemin who was staring at Kai for a long time blinked his eyes in shock and then turned to the waiter. “I’ll just have the same meal.”

After the waiter left, they just stared blankly outside the restaurant, seeing the park nearby. Kai smiled as he pointed to the park they used to visit. Taemin’s gaze trailed following Kai’s fingers, and smiled too as the memories came flashing back.
“You used to meet me there whenever I called” Kai said, faint smile forming on his plump lips.
“Yeah.. That park is such a memorable place. Definitely one my favorite places here” Taemin replied as his lips twitched up. His smile shows hint of happiness and sorrow.

Kai couldn't read Taemin’s expression.